Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

The maddie one was good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Deirdre cowley.

She was missing for two years after being taken by her father. When the police located them he murdered her and took his own life.

Chilling.

Ah yes i remember now.

How can anyone forget Mr Moonlight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Aileen Wournos is one of the very few women who kill. Even Myra Hindley and Rose West probably wouldn’t have done what they did had there not been a male ringleader. Wournos just really hated men.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

coinop wrote: »
    Channon Gail Christian, aged 21, and Hugh Christopher Newsom, Jr., aged 23, were from Knoxville, Tennessee. They were kidnapped on the evening of January 6, 2007, when Christian's vehicle was carjacked, and taken to a rental house, where both of them were raped, tortured, and murdered.

eHte51k.jpg

Newsom's body was discovered near a set of nearby railroad tracks. He had been bound, blindfolded, gagged, and stripped naked from the waist down. He had been shot in the back of the head, neck, and back, and his body had been set on fire.

Christian died after hours of torture, sustaining traumatic brain injuries and suffering injuries to her vagina, anus, and mouth due to repeated sexual assault. Before killing her, in an effort to remove DNA evidence, her attackers poured bleach down her throat and scrubbed her body with it. She was bound with curtains and strips of bedding, with her face covered with a trash bag and her body stashed in five large trash bags. These were placed inside a residential waste disposal unit and covered with sheets and garbage from Wendy's. The medical examiner said there was evidence that Christian slowly suffocated to death.

Four males and one female were arrested, charged, and convicted in the case, four of whom had multiple prior felony convictions.

murders-of-channon-christian-and-christopher-newsom-ae6c8f27-8cfa-42e9-a79c-903ab8e744d-resize-750.jpeg

What crime cases were so horrible that they have stuck in your mind years after reading about them?

First time I've heard of that case, makes me realise the death penalty is sometimes justifiable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So many that we have forgotten about, but I doubt their families have. RIP to all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

iamstop wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Vicki Whelan case?

She worked at one of the chippers in Rathfarnham Village. I used to know her to see.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/I+SHOT+SLEEPING+FRANCO%3B+Girl+lodger+of+15+confessed+but+wife+was...-a060677724

That's the only account of what happened I can find.

Remember it well but the name Vicki Whelan wouldn't resonate with many as she wasn't named during the trial and the main media frenzy was over Saccos wife who also stood trial and was acquited. She was a good looking woman and the cameras couldn't get enough of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Aileen Wournos is one of the very few women who kill. Even Myra Hindley and Rose West probably wouldn’t have done what they did had there not been a male ringleader. Wournos just really hated men.

Joanna dennehy would also be a recent example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The scissor sisters, can’t believe nobody has mentioned that. Or maybe they have. I often pass that park in Tallaght where she buried his head. It must be an awful gruesome, smelly and messy job to have to dismember a big human body.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Karen Walsh was one recent- ish case by a woman that stands out. She was that chemist who battered an elderly woman to death with a crucifix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see the sandy hook shootings were mentioned. That's stuck with me also because of the fact that America cares more about an amendment to their constitution than young kids who had done nothing to deserve getting killed. I mean I shouldn't have been shocked given what we knew about guns in America but that still shocked me. I mean hungerford, dunblane, port Arthur were mass shootings in the UK(the first two) and Australia and in both cases those counties reacted. I know I got off topic there but now mass shootings in America don't stick with me as much as they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/woman-gets-suspended-sentence-for-killing-husband-1.642265

I remember this one well, just up the road from me. Woman beat her husband over the head with a hammer and he died. She served no time in prison. If the roles were reversed, there would've been uproar.

In Ireland women's crimes aren't reported much, or are glossed over for some reason. They get significantly more lenient sentences also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The killing of Sophie Toscan Du Plantier. Shocking circumstances, a chief suspect but no nearer being solved after twenty four years.
    Raoinid Murray. Another unsolved mystery.
    Elaine O' Hara murder. Utterly horrific.
    The Mc Arthur murders. Why was he never charged with the murder of Donal Dunne?
    The killing of Grace Livingstone in Malahide. Her husband was heavily suspected but nobody has ever been charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Anonposter2020

For me it's the torture and murder of baby Brianna Lopez. Her story torments me.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BubbleBuddy

Jodi Arias planned and murdered her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander in Arizona in 2008. The gruesome and brutal manner in which she killed him - in the shower: shot, nearly decapitated, stabbed 27 times. The endless lies throughout the trial and re-abuse of the victim. The case went on for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

This one also sticks. Hortible woman.

murder trial has heard a doctor admit to stabbing her three-year-old son to death in their south Dublin home, then telling gardaí that "a power" had made her go to a drawer and remove a knife.

The Central Criminal Court wast told that Omar Omran was stabbed 20 times, mainly to the trunk of his body. Four stab wounds had penetrated his lungs and heart, severing a vital artery, the court heard.

During the opening of the trial of Maha Al Adheem, prosecuting counsel told the court that psychiatrists for both the prosecution and defence agree the accused fulfils the criteria of not guilty by reason of insanity in this case.

Ms Al Adheem (43), of Riverside, Poddle Park, Kimmage, Dublin 12, is charged with murdering Omar on July 10, 2017 at the same address. She has pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutor Michael Delaney said Ms Al Adheem spent the early part of her life in Kuwait, moving with her family to Iraq at the age of 15.

She studied medicine between 1994 and 2003 and qualified as a doctor in Iraq.

However, her studies were delayed in part as she was diagnosed with suffering from depression and schizophrenia in 1996.

Due to the war in Iraq, her family moved to Syria in 2006 and stayed there until 2010.

Ms Al Adheem came to Ireland in 2010 as part of an arranged marriage to a man called Khalid Omran, who was living in Dublin at the time.

It was not a happy marriage, the court was told, and they separated in May 2014, only a few months after their only child, Omar, was born.

Their son had developmental delay and was non-verbal, Mr Delaney said. He was diagnosed with autism when he was just over three. "This all forms part of the background to the case," he indicated.

Although Ms Al Adheem qualified as a doctor she did not practise medicine in Ireland. In March 2017, a month after her son was diagnosed with autism, she was admitted to the psychiatric department of St James's Hospital with suicidal thoughts and detained for five days.

She was diagnosed with suffering from an "adjustment reaction", and the opinion was that she was under a considerable amount of stress as a lone parent who was having difficulty accessing services for her special needs son.

On the day of the killing, Mr Delaney said Dublin Fire Brigade got a 999 call from a woman at 6.40pm who stated that her baby was dead and then hung up.

The person who took the call phoned the woman back but she hung up again.

Paramedics were sent to the scene but were unable to get access to the accused's apartment on the second floor. They later used a sledgehammer to break the door.

Garda Diarmaid Kelly was the first person to enter the hallway where he saw the accused. She was observed putting her hands up and had blood on her clothing, said Mr Delaney, adding that she held her thigh as if she was injured.

It then became apparent that Omar's body, which had multiple chest stab wounds, was lying on a single bed in the bedroom.

Ms Al Adheem was taken to St James's Hospital where it was confirmed that her injuries were not serious, and she was transferred from A&E to the psychiatric part of the hospital where she remained until her discharge two days later.

Omar's body was removed from the apartment the following day, and a post mortem was conducted by Deputy State Pathologist Dr Linda Mulligan.

The court was told Dr Mulligan identified 20 stab wounds, mainly to the trunk. Four stab were significant as they had penetrated his lungs and heart, severing a vital artery. There were also signs of defensive injuries to his right hand.

The trial was due to resume later today before Ms Justice Eileen Creedon and a jury of nine men and three women. It is expected to last three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Brendan O Donnell case back in 1994, I'm near the Clare border and he was arrested not to far from where I live.

The priest he killed was in our parish for a while but while his murder was terrible what O Donnell did to the mother and son was even worse.

My mother is from the area o donnell grew up,I've an uncle still living there who often gave lifts to
    O donnell, he was never right but unfortunately people like him can't be incarcerated against their will anymore until tragedy strikes

He was a front page news story waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Didn't Robert's mother make allegations in her victim impact statement of o donoghues semen being found on the body?

There was traces of semen found on his body. It wasn't entered as evidence in the trial, and she did bring it up in her Victim Impact Statement.

However the semen was not Wayne O'Donoghue's, and that's why it wasn't brought up in evidence. O'Donoghue brought Robert's body into his house and placed him down on a mat in the bathroom before taking him back out to his car and disposing of him. The investigators seem to believe that the semen was from someone else that was not involved in the crimes, and had got on the bath mat before Robert's body was brought into the room. I'd say if you test any bath mat in a house with men living in it, there's a good chance you'll find some semen.

There was absolutely no evidence of a sexual motive or element to Robert's death - the semen was incidental to the the whole thing. I guess Majella Holohan didn't accept that, but if the prosecution had brought the semen into the trial, the trial would most likely have been aborted, as it wasn't that of the defendant.

Here's some details around the issues she raised in her statement: https://magill.ie/archive/semen-was-not-wayne-odonoghues-solictitor

It caused quite a controversy at the time, as usually someone can't just stand up in court and throw accusations and insinuations around without the person being given the opportunity to defend themselves. As a consequence of what she said in her Victim Impact Statement, the rules were changed so that it wouldn't happen again: https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-20016122.html

There was traces of semen found on his body. It wasn't entered as evidence in the trial, and she did bring it up in her Victim Impact Statement.

However the semen was not Wayne O'Donoghue's, and that's why it wasn't brought up in evidence. O'Donoghue brought Robert's body into his house and placed him down on a mat in the bathroom before taking him back out to his car and disposing of him. The investigators seem to believe that the semen was from someone else that was not involved in the crimes, and had got on the bath mat before Robert's body was brought into the room. I'd say if you test any bath mat in a house with men living in it, there's a good chance you'll find some semen.

There was absolutely no evidence of a sexual motive or element to Robert's death - the semen was incidental to the the whole thing. I guess Majella Holohan didn't accept that, but if the prosecution had brought the semen into the trial, the trial would most likely have been aborted, as it wasn't that of the defendant.

Here's some details around the issues she raised in her statement: https://magill.ie/archive/semen-was-not-wayne-odonoghues-solictitor

Ye thats true about the semen.

Still an evil act and hard to believe Wayne O'Donoghue is a free man the last 12 years. What's as shocking as the crimes are some of the sentences handed down.

8.5 for James Osbourne for glassing that italian lad.

What did O'Donoghue get? Feck all. Should have spent at least his 20's being punished.

Ye thats true about the semen.

Still an evil act and hard to believe Wayne O'Donoghue is a free man the last 12 years. What's as shocking as the crimes are some of the sentences handed down.

8.5 for James Osbourne for glassing that italian lad.

What did O'Donoghue get? Feck all. Should have spent at least his 20's being punished.
    He got 4 and served 3. He didn't mean to kill the boy and he panicked. He later confessed.

I believe the sentence was just in this case.

• Advertisement

Lundstram wrote: »
    He got 4 and served 3. He didn't mean to kill the boy and he panicked. He later confessed.

I believe the sentence was just in this case.

He confessed when they found the body in a ditch after joining the search party.

Regardless of intent our sentencing is a joke. He took a young boy from his family and got a slap on the wrist.

He obviously has huge anger issues if he can kill a young lad for throwing stones at his car.

While O'Donoghue's brutal act on his neighbour Robert turned him into one of the most hated killers in the country, it was his actions after Robert's death that made him truly reviled.

He strangled the schoolboy to death following an argument at his family home in Ballyedmond, Midleton, Co Cork on January 4, 2005. O'Donoghue insisted that Robert died accidentally after he placed him in a headlock and then caught him by the throat following a confrontation over his refusal to drive the boy to Mc-Donald's for a milk shake.

After killing the child, the callous killer then drove the body to Inch Strand and dumped his remains in a ditch.

He wrapped Robert's body in black sacks and later tried to set fire to plastic sheeting.

Robert's disappearance sparked the biggest missing person hunt in the history of the State.

Hundreds of worried neighbours spent days combing the countryside outside Midleton looking for the missing child. And in a cold and calculated act, O'Donoghue joined in the search for Robert and even told his mum, Majella, that her son was safe and would be home soon.

Robert's body was discovered by volunteers on January 12, 2005 following nine days of frantic searching.

Three days later, as gardai started to close in on him, O'Donoghue confessed his crime to his father Ray.

He confessed when they found the body in a ditch after joining the search party.

Regardless of intent our sentencing is a joke. He took a young boy from his family and got a slap on the wrist.

He obviously has huge anger issues if he can kill a young lad for throwing stones at his car.
    He pleaded guilty from the get go, was very remorseful, was a straight A student from a respected family. He was never going to get more than 5 years.

I posted earlier about a woman bludgeoning her husband to death in Laois with a hammer, she got a suspended sentence because she said he was abusive to her. Why not just leave? Now that’s all kinds of wrong.

I see you edited your post to add in more detail, I know all about the case. Still a just sentence IMO.

Lundstram wrote: »
    He pleaded guilty from the get go, was very remorseful, was a straight A student from a respected family. He was never going to get more than 5 years.

I posted earlier about a woman bludgeoning her husband to death in Laois with a hammer, she got a suspended sentence because she said he was abusive to her. Why not just leave? Now that’s all kinds of wrong.

While O'Donoghue's brutal act on his neighbour Robert turned him into one of the most hated killers in the country, it was his actions after Robert's death that made him truly reviled.

He strangled the schoolboy to death following an argument at his family home in Ballyedmond, Midleton, Co Cork on January 4, 2005. O'Donoghue insisted that Robert died accidentally after he placed him in a headlock and then caught him by the throat following a confrontation over his refusal to drive the boy to Mc-Donald's for a milk shake.

After killing the child, the callous killer then drove the body to Inch Strand and dumped his remains in a ditch.

He wrapped Robert's body in black sacks and later tried to set fire to plastic sheeting.

Robert's disappearance sparked the biggest missing person hunt in the history of the State.

Hundreds of worried neighbours spent days combing the countryside outside Midleton looking for the missing child. And in a cold and calculated act, O'Donoghue joined in the search for Robert and even told his mum, Majella, that her son was safe and would be home soon.

Robert's body was discovered by volunteers on January 12, 2005 following nine days of frantic searching.

Three days later, as gardai started to close in on him, O'Donoghue confessed his crime to his father Ray.

......yeh he was totally upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

The Dunblane Massacre. Being a Scot, this was one of the darkest things to happen in our country in a long time. I was only 6 when it happened, and it still creeps me out today.

The Murder of James Bulger was another one I didn't really know the full story of until I had access to the internet in my teens. I was 2 years old when the murder took place, but I'll always remember a few years later, my mum being very overprotective of me in public, telling me to never stay away from her for more than a second when out and about. She used to tell me there was once a little boy who got taken away from his mummy when they were "at the shops", and used this as an example to set for me in a way to discourage ever walking away from her in town. It worked lol. When I found out exactly what happened years later, I nearly felt sick. I'll never forget the lecture from my mum.

And obviously 9/11. I know exactly where I was when I found out. I was going home from school when my mate, Quinny, walked by me and shouted back, "did ye hear what happened in New York?!!" and then my mum got me half way down the road to pick me up in the car and said the same thing. "Do you know the twin towers in New York? Two planes crashed into both of them" I remember my mum and my whole family talking about it every single day, and Sky News being the only channel being on all day. I was 12 when it happened.

One crime that stuck with me in my adult years was that Muslim girl that got shot in Tehran during a peaceful protest in 2009, over the Iranian Presidential election. Now at that point I had seen my fair share of gore sites and shock footage. I'm rather desensitised in a sense, but this one disturbed me in particular and to this day I can't pinpoint why. I actually lost sleep when I saw the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

This thread has made me realise how easy it is to forget crimes and horrendous ones at that.

But maybe that's what our minds do, because to keep them there would be awful also.

So sorry for all the families who lost loved ones in distressing circumstances, and those who cannot locate their loved ones either.

I was thinking that too. It's awful really, that these people suffered unimaginably horrific deaths , forgotten for so long by most, only to later have their names grace it to a thread such as this, entered into a kind of compeition with others who suffered even more badly in life. (not having a go at OP, I'll admit it is interesting, obviously a lot of people find it to be). I just wonder at times what these people or their loved ones would think of them being discussed by strangers on a platform like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

As far as Irish crimes go, some of the lesser-known incidents in the Crumlin-Drimnagh feud still shock me not because of the violence involved but the intentional psychological torture. I heard of one incident in which a kid who was the younger brother of a gang member was surrounded by a crowd on the street who cut his husky into pieces and made him watch. As far as I'm concerned, anyone capable of doing something like that just out of pure sadistic infliction of emotional pain on someone else is the kind of person who belongs in a cell or in the ground. It's one of the reasons I find it so hard to feel sorry for Keane Mulready Woods, who was known locally for killing a woman’s cat and leaving its body on her doorstep just to hurt her.

Killing someone is one thing. But making someone else watch while you kill their loved one for the purpose of torturing them psychologically is a level of twisted evil I've never been able to get my head around. The idea of that poor young kid probably shouting and roaring for help while his dog was being "carved up with a knife on the footpath" (Irish Times quote) is one of the most sickening things I've come across. I know many will ask why I'm focusing on the death of a pet while so many humans have been killed, but it's the fact that they did it specifically to torment the kid which really makes my blood run cold. That level of calculated evil is just terrifying to me - making someone watch while you kill someone or something they loved. Who the f*ck even thinks of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,208 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Can anybody here remember when two Gardai were killed when there car was rammed by a Stolen Mazda sports car driven at high speed on the N11 Sillorgan Dual-Carriageway back in about 2002.
    It stuck with me because it happened very near where my sister lived when she was going to UCD and the fact that two Gardai died.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

The Mark Nash case is wild. Read about it here.

1HwpAp1.jpg

Some highlights of the report:
    • Nash is believed to be the first person in the history of the State to kill two people in two separate incidents, outside of those involved in terrorist offences.
    • Nash was an only child, born in Mayo in 1973. His mother returned to England after a year and settled in the Bradley area of Huddersfield. (Anchor baby)
    • Nash did not like showering, yet started to take a lot of showers from March 1997; often several times per day.
    • After the murders...He had escaped over fields and broke into two houses, taking clothes in one and a racing bicycle in the other. He cycled to Castlerea, Dunmore and Tuam but was arrested the next day not far from Galway City; his progress hampered by a punctured tyre which he had stopped unsuccessfully to fix several times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Back in '95 i was working a summer job on the local council, cracking job watering the flowers on the sea front in my home town of Llandudno.

I was down one end of the promenade and down the craig-y-don end, about 1 1/2 miles away (long promenade) there was a lot of police activity.

Seen a friend of the family walking past who lived that end so i asked him what was going on, his answer will remain with me to this day....."I found a body this morning"

He'd been out walking his dog and found the body of a child on the beach, he never really recovered from that day

A little girl called Sophie Hook was taken from her tent in her back garden where she'd been camping with other kid from the family, she was raped and murdered by a local sicko called 'Mad' Howie Hughes

I'll forever remember that because it was so close to home.

I'd see Mad Howie cycling around a lot, always looking for stuff to steal, he had this look about him that scared me

Advertisement