Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I don't know what to trust tonight, think will stick with what EC HIRES shows on next run.

HARMONIE has been pathetic in last few days and I can't trust it, but not to say it won't be right today- no model has performed well. I think ICON has given me the best idea of what's going on over the cold spell, obviously taken into account the fact it doesn't move model light showers moving inland, nonetheless, the best of a bad bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

The Brood, your not going mad, as you can see in my post my son + me agree with you!

We are out all year round no problem but this week with that wind chill was just too much for us.

Ah well the auld exercise bike is finally getting a bit of use this week rather than being a clothes rack!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

Link to put all your Beautiful Snow Pictures in ....:)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058145457

I hope the people who got good photos yesterday post them there as they tend to get lost in these main forums.

Meanwhile its down to 3c from almost 5c earlier.
    Dull and grey skies all day although it doest feel near as cold as yesterday as the winds are not near as strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

appledrop wrote: »
    Fair play to you. This week has been a nightmare for me exercise wise. I try and get my 4 year old out everyday usually after work or lunchtime for about 30 mins walk but very difficult this week.

He is more hardy then me but this week he actually started crying one day with wind. Now he was wrapped up with layers, heavy coat, hat, gloves, scarf but it was so cold on his face. In the end we turned him into a ninja as he said + wrapped scarf around his face to get him home!

Looking forward to midterm next week +milder weather.

I'd actually prefer the rain to this! We had great fun week before in playground in rain because very few other people ventured out.

You would prefer the rain?
    Don't we get enough of the stuff. I'm not a big fan of wind but anything other then rain.

Billcarson wrote: »
    You would prefer the rain?
    Don't we get enough of the stuff. I'm not a big fan of wind but anything other then rain.

Ah no Bill I'm half joking. I hate rain usually and once its dry I'm happy, but this week was just too cold with wind chill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes the thing is when people here go on about "mild atlantic muck", it usually means about 10 or 11c in Dublin with the odd shower, it's usually dry. I know it's worse in the rest of the country, rain wise.
    Give me that over this nonsense all day. After a few minutes walking in the MAM it feels almost balmy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Gotten windy here now, it's also gotten noticeably colder, 2c in Carrick on Shannon going by met eireann I'm to have snow from midnight to 7am before it turns back to rain

That app shows mostly sleet for Northern Ireland so it couldn’t be that accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The_Brood wrote: »
    I honestly must be losing my mind.

The average daily temperature in February in Ireland is around 5°C. And from experience that is quite true for all the years I have lived here - it's cold, but just above freezing, it's not (supposed to be) painful.

This year with the real feel - it's ranging from -10 to -5.

That is a dramatic 10°C+ drop in temperatures. That is the difference between life and death for many animals, plants, even some humans if they did not have shelter. This is a more devastating and dramatic development than if a volcano exploded in Dublin city center. The natural cycle can barely cope with a few degrees of change, let alone such a huge drop.

And yet...I seem to be the one and only person who thinks this way. There is not a peep of this in the media. No one is talking about it. At most someone say "it's a bit chilly."

I obviously have a dramatically smaller tolerance for the cold than most people, but at the same time the facts are there. There has been a 10°C+ drop in temperature (stretching back into January as well) and no one seems to even notice.

Yes, you must ask yourself why is that. As DOC said, apples and oranges. That average daily of around 5 C has been set over a 30-year period of fluctuating ups and downs, and this week has been nothing out of the ordinary. And that figure was set without any regard to real-feel, so there were no doubt some -10 real-feel days in that period.

It's cold, yes, but it's February. It's all completely within the normal range. Humans, plants and animals have been through it before and will do so in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A gust of 52 knots at Malin head at 9pm. very strong for a south easterly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭acequion

I love this weather and will be really sorry to see it end. Absolutely hate 12/14oC in winter as much as I detest 16/18oC in summer as where I live you get all the muck as well. Give me proper cold, dry winters and proper hot, dry summers. We can only dream :pac: But overall I've been happy with the weather since Xmas.

That said I'd love to get a spring like last. We might be lucky again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I love it too though there are a few little irritants such as my lips cracking and my bedroom becoming very cold (only 11c last night) that are starting to become annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I love it too though there are a few little irritants such as my lips cracking and my bedroom becoming very cold (only 11c last night) that are starting to become annoying.

my bedroom, which is east-facing, is absolutely freezing at the moment. the west-facing bedroom on the other hand is nice and cosy. I'm enjoying the cold spell even though it didn't bring what I was hoping for (yet?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very gusty winds in cork city, sounds stronger then usual but I am guessing that's due to the winds coming from more of an easterly direction then westerly. Latest gust of around 43kts with normal winds of about 30kt

Heavy showers all night too and more just starting now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very windy (and snowy) morning in Dublin 16. I see a gust in DunLaoghaire Harbour earlier of 64.1 knots/119 kmh.

Very gusty winds in cork city, sounds stronger then usual but I am guessing that's due to the winds coming from more of an easterly direction then westerly. Latest gust of around 43kts with normal winds of about 30kt

Heavy showers all night too and more just starting now.

Bins hit the deck here around 4am.

We've done very badly out of this spell. Very windy and very little let up in the rain since the breakdown on Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Just miserable, and kids going doolally from not being able to get outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Little bit of snow on ground here in D24.
    Won't last long sadly.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    my bedroom, which is east-facing, is absolutely freezing at the moment. the west-facing bedroom on the other hand is nice and cosy. I'm enjoying the cold spell even though it didn't bring what I was hoping for (yet?).

My bedroom is same and has never been an issue until this week. Artane unlike you I'm hating this cold spell!

I was awake again most of night due to wind! Please let this be last day of this windy weather.

Wet and windy here in NCD, no sign of ice never mind snow.

Edited actually we now have sleet showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Drum Maigh Eo

Rough morning for seafarers on the east coast. Rosslare showing 61 kmh and gusting 93 kmh at 09:00 !

Hook Head lighthouse cam:

http://89.106.143.18:121/cgi-bin/guestimage.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A mention of stormy conditions tomorrow from met eireann. Hows it looking Meteorite?

Very windy or stormy on Sunday with strong to gale force and gusty southerly winds. Very wet with the risk of flooding, especially across southern counties. However, it will become drier later in the afternoon and evening, with winds moderating then too. Milder everywhere with highest temperatures of 10 to 13 degrees.

I'm holding out for weather next week.

Looks like it will be dry, sunny + warm(for winter) 10-13 degrees.

What more could you want!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rough morning for seafarers on the east coast. Rosslare showing 61 kmh and gusting 93 kmh at 09:00 !

Hook Head lighthouse cam:

http://89.106.143.18:121/cgi-bin/guestimage.html

DunLaoghaire Harbour gusted 119 kmh earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 A_mc_b

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway and Mayo
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

South to southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with severe gusts in excess of 110km/h in the west. Where winds are onshore, there is a risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Sunday 14/02/2021 to 16:00 Sunday 14/02/2021

Issued: 11:00 Saturday 13/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The February that keeps on giving. Can't have had a worse start to the month than what has gone on so far. A good bit wetter than average and really dull (only 8 hrs of sun to now at Dublin Apt). What a sh!tshow. Hopefully the more changeable conditions provide more sunshine at the very least and praying for an anticyclonic period sometime soon.

There was some good drying on Friday but now everywhere is all sodden wet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cold and frosty nights as
    a high eventually moves over us after this week. It could feel quite pleasant during the day before the high settles over us. Will the high eventually move north around the end of the month? Whatever the final outcome, i am looking forward to some settled weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The February that keeps on giving. Can't have had a worse start to the month than what has gone on so far. A good bit wetter than average and really dull (only 8 hrs of sun to now at Dublin Apt). What a sh!tshow. Hopefully the more changeable conditions provide more sunshine at the very least and praying for an anticyclonic period sometime soon.

There was some good drying on Friday but now everywhere is all sodden wet again.

This time yesterday my garden was bone dry for the first time since 2nd of June 2020. If it wasn't for that awful wind and if it was a bit sunnier I would have attempted to cut the grass in time for Spring.

Garden back soggy again already and a dusting of ice from last night's freezing rain. Once we get the next week out of the way the outlook does look rather promising for some much needed dry weather. It remains to be seen if we will get that cold spell around first week of March, it could end up being dry as well.

Windier this afternoon in Dublin 16 than most recent named storms. Some violent gusts. Not reflected at either Casement or Dublin AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Was thinking about solar activity and cold weather - I know some try to make the links in recent time.

So last solar minimum came in 2008, then had 2010 come 2 years after the minimum.

So current solar minimum came in 2019...which basically means 2021 is the year :p

Nothing memorable so far really but lots of close calls I guess. Plenty of snow days still so far this year. The UK had its coldest January since 2010! Which fits the narrative. Dublin airports coldest Jan since 2011 I believe (3.9c this year vs. 3.6c in 2011). 2010 had a cold February too and while we've had a cool start it looks like we could have some very mild weather coming our way.

Onto our historic cold spell in December I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭bazlers

Are we not putting the orange warning up?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

John.Icy wrote: »
    Was thinking about solar activity and cold weather - I know some try to make the links in recent time.

So last solar minimum came in 2008, then had 2010 come 2 years after the minimum.

So current solar minimum came in 2019...which basically means 2021 is the year :p

Nothing memorable so far really but lots of close calls I guess. Plenty of snow days still so far this year. The UK had its coldest January since 2010! Which fits the narrative. Dublin airports coldest Jan since 2011 I believe (3.9c this year vs. 3.6c in 2011). 2010 had a cold February too and while we've had a cool start it looks like we could have some very mild weather coming our way.

Onto our historic cold spell in December I guess!

Well if this true, i hope with the new solar cycle we are not going to.experience winters like the 90s. That was a bleak time for snow lovers overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Got up past 12°c in West Clare today, never thought that would feel so mild!

Advertisement