Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Would Mods consider opening the up to 120hr chart thread again ?

Very windy here near Tralee gusting up to 79 km/h SE

Staying breezy and getting windy again later Fri into Sat with the advancing front, possible warnings along Atlantic coasts.

Sunday looks very windy across the country, has pepped up a lot over the last few runs, one to watch, high end yellow currently in Atlantic coastal counties possibly straying into Orange territory along coastal fringes I would reckon..

anim_jxv7.gif

ju7Xzyj.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Precipitation totals up to later Sunday

cUiSjPG.png

iconeu_uk1-25-87-0_zvg9.png

84-777UK_sqq6.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Looks like it's going to be relatively dry in North Dublin then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The roads here are white with salt. Any snow that falls will easily lie. Almost 0c during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Looks like we will get 1 last bite of the cherry Sarurday morning in terms of snow. Looking decent for Cavan, I just hope the snow will last the day to enjoy and by sunday the mild weather comes in and I will be glad to see the back of this very underwhelming cold spell. Apart from 3cm earlier on in the week and a light dusting Wednesday morning this has been hugely dissapointing cold snap. Not even anything close to an ice day (think the lowest maximum all week was 1 degrees here) or some notable low temps at night. Even London managed a few ice days. On the plus side atleast it has been seasonal as often February's have been very mild recently and the ground has dried up a bit which is a plus. Let's hope the end of February into March can deliver us a decent snowfall

• Advertisement

We missed out on colder weather because we didn’t get a decent snow cover and we were plagued with wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Chasing cold spells in this country can do your head in. Been such a frustrating winter. Tease after tease.
    https://youtu.be/y0FnfGblLr8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭appledrop

Would this Easterly wind ever piss off.

Sick of it all week, waking me up all the time as bedroom faces it and wind chill makes it very unpleasant when you outside.

I have not enjoyed this cold spell. We barely got any sunshine from it and no snow in Dublin that actually stuck. So really it was pointless.

Can't wait for 12 degrees that's coming, it will be like being in Barbados!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I have liked this Easterly overall. I am not looking forward to all the wet weather next week. Give me a cold and mainly dry Easterly over next weeks weather anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yep looking forward to mild weather again, why anyone would prefer howling freezing cold wind is beyond me, walking and exercising outside will be a lot easier next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yep looking forward to mild weather again, why anyone would prefer howling freezing cold wind is beyond me.

That wind is starting to get to me!

If it was accompanied by snow, fine. But now it's really annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Yep looking forward to mild weather again, why anyone would prefer howling freezing cold wind is beyond me, walking and exercising outside will be a lot easier next week.

I have been walking 10km at 6am every day this past week and it has been far more enjoyable experience than usual. It's easier for me to exercise as the colder weather keeps me cooler. My walk has be exposed to the east wind most of the time. Walking in - 2C is far better than say 12C

The milder the weather the less exercise I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lucreto wrote: »
    I have been walking 10km at 6am every day this past week and it has been far more enjoyable experience than usual. It's easier for me to exercise as the colder weather keeps me cooler. My walk has be exposed to the east wind most of the time. Walking in - 2C is far better than say 12C

Sounds the total opposite of how I am, but horses for courses!
    I did go jogging on Wednesday and it wasn't too bad. Some of the beautiful mornings jogging before work in the park last spring are lovely memories, I really hope we get more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Great day in meath, very cold, but the sun is out and the wind is drying out the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Charts for back then. Stiff northeasterly surface winds, with regular snow showers and longer spells of snow. A couple of days later there were 10 cm at Dublin Airport.

An image was shared to me taken on the Howth hills here supposedly from the February 1991 spell. With the blue sky and the solid widespread covering, even on Ireland's Eye, it looks like this could have been taken on 10 February 1991 when there was severe frost and clear skies nationally with the 10cm depth at the airport that you mention.

I've seen very few images of the February 1991 spell so this is good to see.

https://twitter.com/SunbieWx/status/1360190591087304704?s=20

All of the grass is turning brown here, akin to what happens in North America.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It seems Dublin looks set to get snow later tonight and tomorrow morning. Hopefully a nice blast of snow before the mild comes in later Saturday.

At least it would be some consolation if we got decent snow cover for some of Saturday :-)

Then I am happy enough for the winter

Nah

What would be better is if we get another cold spell that leads to snow staying on the ground for a couple of days rather than being washed away quickly, which is what will happen on Saturday.

appledrop wrote: »
    Would this Easterly wind ever piss off.

Sick of it all week, waking me up all the time as bedroom faces it and wind chill makes it very unpleasant when you outside.

I have not enjoyed this cold spell. We barely got any sunshine from it and no snow in Dublin that actually stuck. So really it was pointless.

Can't wait for 12 degrees that's coming, it will be like being in Barbados!

Yeah it’s been a pain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very windy in Dublin 16. Recent gust of 54 knots in DunLaoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Link to put all your Beautiful Snow Pictures in ....:)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058145457

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I know what you mean, I wouldn't walk across the street but I do work outside as my job and this week I've been wrangling massive plastic sheets and pallets clearing a site. Once warmed up it was perfect weather for the job in fine snow (graupel or something). Having done the same work sweating buckets in mid summer there's no doubt which weather is easier.

Speaking of sweating it looks like it'll be sunny and 12/13 on Monday. That's be nice shock!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very windy it has been for days now, but some very strong guests here this afternoon, strong enough to knock over the bin outside and random bits of rubbish flying around the place.

We have had a 43mph gust here!

Gonzo wrote: »
    very windy it has been for days now, but some very strong guests here this afternoon, strong enough to knock over the bin outside and random bits of rubbish flying around the place.

I had to go out and repair (very old) anemometer pole after it bent in the wind!

A little calmer/less windy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Absolutely rotten day in Cork City. Very heavy, sheet drizzle/rain all day and some strong gusts at times. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A strong and gusty SE wind everywhere with Mace head gusting 47 knots @ 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Gotten windy here now, it's also gotten noticeably colder, 2c in Carrick on Shannon going by met eireann I'm to have snow from midnight to 7am before it turns back to rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I honestly must be losing my mind.

The average daily temperature in February in Ireland is around 5°C. And from experience that is quite true for all the years I have lived here - it's cold, but just above freezing, it's not (supposed to be) painful.

This year with the real feel - it's ranging from -10 to -5.

That is a dramatic 10°C+ drop in temperatures. That is the difference between life and death for many animals, plants, even some humans if they did not have shelter. This is a more devastating and dramatic development than if a volcano exploded in Dublin city center. The natural cycle can barely cope with a few degrees of change, let alone such a huge drop.

And yet...I seem to be the one and only person who thinks this way. There is not a peep of this in the media. No one is talking about it. At most someone say "it's a bit chilly."

I obviously have a dramatically smaller tolerance for the cold than most people, but at the same time the facts are there. There has been a 10°C+ drop in temperature (stretching back into January as well) and no one seems to even notice.

The_Brood wrote: »
    The average daily temperature in February in Ireland is around 5°C.
    The_Brood wrote: »
    This year with the real feel - it's ranging from -10 to -5.

You are comparing average air temperature with current windchill/'real feel' temperature.

Apples and oranges.

In my part of Dublin, air temperature has not been sub 0c this month however the recent strong winds have made it feel significantly colder (than 0c).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭appledrop

Fair play to you. This week has been a nightmare for me exercise wise. I try and get my 4 year old out everyday usually after work or lunchtime for about 30 mins walk but very difficult this week.

He is more hardy then me but this week he actually started crying one day with wind. Now he was wrapped up with layers, heavy coat, hat, gloves, scarf but it was so cold on his face. In the end we turned him into a ninja as he said + wrapped scarf around his face to get him home!

Looking forward to midterm next week +milder weather.

I'd actually prefer the rain to this! We had great fun week before in playground in rain because very few other people ventured out.

Advertisement