Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What? LC like leaving certs? That's insane

Between that and the LWR I'd have the union in, sounds like the principal is a cowboy

You're too kind. I can think of several other words I'd use.

Yes LC like leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That’s insane....

On a different note. I photocopy a fill in workbook for music at the start of term to power through composing basics. I’m going to copy it now and leave it aside ready. But how do the hand them out? Wash my hands then put them on tables before they arrive?

I presume we can’t keep batches of students ziplock folders in the room anymore? I am getting to keep the music room (albeit with a lot less storage). I’m just thinking like if I just put a box for them to drop them into on the way out the door then set them aside. But again I’d need to put them on the tables for them coming in. Or hand them out as they come in? Maybe it’s just creating un-necessary problems for myself

Also I wonder is there any issue sellotaping laminated pages to the desks from a cleaning perspective? No word on lockers and instruments are an issue so I’m wondering if I can print, laminate and stick down a laminated keyboard to the desks themselves. It would be easier than handing them out. I’m going hell for leather into music theory and composing since instruments and performance are all up in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

LW2018 wrote: »
    Under the new circular for leadership and management positions, doesn't there have to be a review of posts to re-evaluate the needs of the school and with whole staff input. If that already happened at the end of the school year then you shouldn't be directly asked just because you have an AP1 position. I'd say hold firm on it.

Has there been much interest in this role in many schools? Just the two who applied in our place so both got it

Apparently the review of posts is now held off until January. And BOMs coming to the end of their term will also be held off until then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Oh I know. This is tip of the iceberg stuff.

I think I mentioned this before but we got an email to say who’s doing the LWR role a few weeks ago. A small minority going rogue in relation to appointments?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭Treppen

That’s insane....

On a different note. I photocopy a fill in workbook for music at the start of term to power through composing basics. I’m going to copy it now and leave it aside ready. But how do the hand them out? Wash my hands then put them on tables before they arrive?

Wrap in cling film now then hand it out with disposable gloves while you open it. Are you allowed go near students though? Maybe throw it at them.

• Advertisement

Treppen wrote: »
    Wrap in cling film now then hand it out with disposable gloves while you open it. Are you allowed go near students though? Maybe throw it at them.

Laughing out loud at this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Legitimate question, how are teachers going to handle corrections this year?

Particularly English teachers, seems they have a lot of correcting copies to do. They can't be collected up and the teacher can't take them home or elsewhere.to mark them.

Ill be doing mine online but I'm just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That’s insane....

I presume we can’t keep batches of students ziplock folders in the room anymore? I am getting to keep the music room (albeit with a lot less storage). I’m just thinking like if I just put a box for them to drop them into on the way out the door then set them aside. But again I’d need to put them on the tables for them coming in. Or hand them out as they come in? Maybe it’s just creating un-necessary problems for myself

Also I wonder is there any issue sellotaping laminated pages to the desks from a cleaning perspective? No word on lockers and instruments are an issue so I’m wondering if I can print, laminate and stick down a laminated keyboard to the desks themselves. It would be easier than handing them out. I’m going hell for leather into music theory and composing since instruments and performance are all up in the air

Put all the workbooks in a box and leave the box out on the first day. Tell them to take one on the way in.

Same with the ziplock folders. They take them and hand them back in as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Particularly English teachers, seems they have a lot of correcting copies to do. They can't be collected up and the teacher can't take them home or elsewhere.to mark them.

They'll have to be done online I'd say. We can't collect anything from students so online seems to be the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Take a picture of the work and email it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I have been thinking about this and I think the way I'm going to do it is, they have two copies and on a Friday they out one in a box in my room, by Monday they are safe for me to touch and I can correct them then. I might change the days depending on timetabling. My classes are well trained so hopefully they can do a bit of self correction too

We are also hopefully getting a couple of UV sterilising cabinets so that's an option too, maybe a mixture of both!

I teach two languages, neither of them English, and it's not possible, well for me anyway, to mark online. I need to put in accents, change verb endings, cross out stuff, change the order of sentences etc. If we had more training on online teaching and learning perhaps I'd be more competent in this area. I have a habit of circling "big" mistakes loads of times to make the correction stand out, and also putting in positive comments beside things they've written that I like. Maybe all of this is possible online??? I need training. We got 15 minutes on how to use Google drive on the afternoon of March 12th from one of the more "tecky" teachers.

There are a good few programmes that allow you to write with a stylus on a picture of work. My handwriting is appalling so a neat little box I can type in suits me but I can see why it wouldn't suit you! Have you looked at the small uv sterilizers? They are pretty good and not too expensive, libraries are beginning to use them but they have expensive industrial ones. There a little ones for around 50eu, might be worth the investment. Or mention buying a big one to the principal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I would just get a few students at random to email work, to make sure they did it, but I'd provide solution in class and they cud mark their own. Might not work for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I teach two languages, neither of them English, and it's not possible, well for me anyway, to mark online. I need to put in accents, change verb endings, cross out stuff, change the order of sentences etc. If we had more training on online teaching and learning perhaps I'd be more competent in this area. I have a habit of circling "big" mistakes loads of times to make the correction stand out, and also putting in positive comments beside things they've written that I like. Maybe all of this is possible online??? I need training. We got 15 minutes on how to use Google drive on the afternoon of March 12th from one of the more "tecky" teachers.

As a language and tecky teacher, I loved using Google classroom but it did have it's misgivings. When a student submitted an assignment, when you opened it, you could correct the errors on screen and they appeared as green on the screen. Now I only did this for my junior classes as I would expect my seniors to have their accents in the correct place - they took a picture of that and I would correct it with notes in a response email e.g. line 1, agreement needed etc. I wanted them to write because Google classroom is linked to Google translate and it would correct the mistakes. One problem I had and I never found a solution to it was a student could decline your comment - it was a bit strange. I only noticed when one of my darlings went through every assignment, declined my correction and resubmitted the assignment. Google classroom also restricts access to assignments after a period of time.

The way I used Google classroom: I assigned a comprehension reading or listening, created a doc with a table for student answers. I made sure a file was set up for each student (Google classroom) allows you to do it. I wrote out the answers on a page and compared mine to the students. It was really quick. If we are back to blended learning this year, I will also be using Google forms for end of chapter tests, it is self correcting and you can put times on each question so they won't have time to check the book.

Also when you use Google classroom, a folder appears in your Google drive, called classroom. In it, your classes will have a specific folder and inside that your students will have an individual folder with all of their work.

It was daunting to begin with but it was great.

If you are using google classroom with a tablet you can write freehand corrections on the screen onto photos of their work they submit. This is how I corrected music composition and maths tests. It’s slower than paper still but it’s better than typing. It auto creates a new copy of the image with your corrections on it and you can ‘Return’ the assignment to the student so they know it came in

Unfortunately you can’t do it this way on a laptop/desktop

If you are using google classroom with a tablet you can write freehand corrections on the screen onto photos of their work they submit. This is how I corrected music composition and maths tests. It’s slower than paper still but it’s better than typing. It auto creates a new copy of the image with your corrections on it and you can ‘Return’ the assignment to the student so they know it came in

I presume with a stylus? Is there an all rounder? One that would work on all tablets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭combat14

Interesting to see that we are still learning so much about this new virus - wonder what we will learn after schools and office workers and Dail return to work later this month...

Scientists say the coronavirus is at least as deadly as the 1918 flu pandemic

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/08/13/scientists-say-the-coronavirus-is-at-least-as-deadly-as-the-1918-flu-pandemic.html

I presume with a stylus? Is there an all rounder? One that would work on all tablets?

You can do it with a finger. I used an Apple Pencil with my iPad Pro but I was the exception rather than the rule

You can do it with a finger. I used an Apple Pencil with my iPad Pro but I was the exception rather than the rule

Your corrections looked 'too real' - using my finger would definitely not look the same :) Another thing to look into!

• Advertisement

Your corrections looked 'too real' - using my finger would definitely not look the same :) Another thing to look into!

You have to zoom right in, do the writing and then zoom back out to make it look half right. And to be fair, I did chose the image to use lol

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pursefan

Anyone think there is an issue for us regarding carrying the virus on our clothes home?? Would we need to wear lab coats or something that we could just wash and dry every night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Pursefan wrote: »
    Anyone think there is an issue for us regarding carrying the virus on our clothes home?? Would we need to wear lab coats or something that we could just wash and dry every night?

My sister works in a hospital on the Covid side of things and has to wear her own clothes. She comes home changes in the porch and sticks them in a bag and then walks them through the house and bungs them inthe washing machine. She has being doing this since March and so far between that, sd hand hygiene and wearing a mask in work hasn't caught anything.

Definitely change your clothes, that would be standard! I'll be buying runners just for work too! Separate laundry basket too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Pursefan wrote: »

Have your work clothes, change out of them every day before you leave school. This is my plan. Work shoes stay in school as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭Treppen

I came across a suggestion of a pad and stylus that you hook up to laptop by usb , graphic designers use it. I'll try and dig it out later.

Treppen wrote: »
    I came across a suggestion of a pad and stylus that you hook up to laptop by usb , graphic designers use it. I'll try and dig it out later.

That could work for sure. I ended up using sidecar (I think that’s the name) with The MacBook and iPad and pencil for recording maths videos. iPad would run fierce hot but it got done well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

I would just get a few students at random to email work, to make sure they did it, but I'd provide solution in class and they cud mark their own. Might not work for everyone

I think this is the way to go. Unfortunately micro-managing students' work will no longer be possible. It also gives a chance to test out the peer-assessment and independent learning that Dept of Ed likes to promote.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

What dates are schools taking students back. We are in on the 26th, with students in on the 27th. A brand new management team seem to be in a rush to get everyone back. Speaking to the caretaker yesterday, he reckons there is no chance the school will be ready. Surely parents would be much happier delaying their children's' return for a few days. I would be much happier coming in for a weeks full training of every aspect of the school day from 8am to 4pm and then being ready to hit the ground running the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭combat14

rumours that tipperary and limerick could be joining local lockdown shortly with 200 new cases nationally today..

will schools really open in locked down counties ?

Advertisement