Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What does the other 12% mean then?:confused:

Refused to give an answer maybe or no opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

gmisk wrote: »
    Alright if you say so Glenn Hoddle...

Glenn Hoddle probably practices Rinzai Zen so we'll have our differences.

I don't want to go in to that lest I derail the thread.

😉

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Change to what?

Trade in the "Globalist" model for the "Robber Baron" model?

Return to pure Reaganism.

Trump's Presidency and its position on global trade is as close as anyone like Sanders will have to power and real influence.

One of the first things that Biden will restore is the EU/US trade deal.

That deal will reorder the European economy in a way towards the pure free market that no governing party in Europe or Britain could ever achieve or even allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,532 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm starting to fear for Trump's chances of winning the election (and for his health before the faux outrage starts).

A win for Biden is back to business for the global elites, more illegal immigration, open borders, and will not do anything to appease the far left hardcore activists who will keep increasing their demands to "abolish the police". I thought Trump winning 4 years ago would force a re-think of the current globalist model of capitalism. I think he needs another 4 years to make more changes.

But what has Trump even tried to do, and what are his plans, to deal with the global elites?

We know he is one of them, using all the current elites trickery to avoid paying his fair share of tax. We know he cut tax for the global elites (or the American based ones anyway).

What has he done to get down the capitalist system?

He was elected in 2016, knowing he had 4 years. Why did he not get this stuff done already? What is he waiting for?

Change to what?

Trade in the "Globalist" model for the "Robber Baron" model?

I'll give you one example. It was apparent in the initial Covid panic that it was dangerous to have almost all of the medical equipment manufactured in China and shipped to the US. Thankfully tensions were kept low but the point remains, I think Western companies moving their operations wholesale to Asia benefits the few at the expense of the many domestic workers. I know it's purely economics but maybe there is a way to balance out the rational cost saving decisions of companies with the need to have at least some manufacturing capacity/expertise in the West.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    They've let Trump drag them down to his level. I don't know if they'll ever recover but I hope they do.

The Democrats have been sliding down for years, the incredible charisma of Obama hid that for years.

The challenges will still be there if Biden wins.

I'll give you one example. It was apparent in the initial Covid panic that it was dangerous to have almost all of the medical equipment manufactured in China and shipped to the US. Thankfully tensions were kept low but the point remains, I think Western companies moving their operations wholesale to Asia benefits the few at the expense of the many domestic workers. I know it's purely economics but maybe there is a way to balance out the rational cost saving decisions of companies with the need to have at least some manufacturing capacity/expertise in the West.

This is something that needs to be seriously discussed everywhere.

Igotadose wrote: »
    You mean, back to the days of lower crime rates, stronger economy and starting to make progress on a functional national health care system? Those bad old days?

As has been pointed out, so-called illegal immigrants pay more in income tax than the #IMPOTUS. You can look it up.

You can't blame Trump for the economy (which was doing great but then got hit by Covid). Similarly the rise in crime is largely happening in Democrat controlled areas. Sure I think Obamacare is fine so would agree there.

As for illegal immigrants, how can they pay taxes if they don't have a social security number? How do they submit their tax returns?

Danzy wrote: »
    The Democrats have been sliding down for years, the incredible charisma of Obama hid that for years.

I don't agree with this. It's been basically the last four years. They had a poor candidate in Hilary who has no charisma. She looked certain to get in and Trump and his trash talking somehow won the day and since then we've seen an awful side to the Democrats but certainly not before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

salmocab wrote: »
    Did you not claim that Biden would claim he had Covid and pull out of the debates/race?

No I predicted it and was wrong in the end. Funny that the same people who said I was mad are now jumping on the conspiracy bandwagon

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »

I still don't think Obama was that charismatic. His oratory skills were very overrated. Most press conferences he ummed and ah'd and took about 5 minutes to finish a sentence. I liked him but he was no Bill Clinton.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I just hope Joe is ok

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

duploelabs wrote: »
    However anyone without a drivers license or method of getting to the station with their ballot might be dissuaded for voting, now I wonder what kind of demographic that would hit the hardest?

You needed a driver's license or ability to show up anyway. We're not talking about the hundreds of polling sites per county, at which you can still drop off the ballot on election day.

So far, it seems that the only location particularly affected is Houston.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics/voter-guide-texas-gov-abbott-restricts-mail-in-ballot-drop-off-locations/2453539/

Realistically, the order will have little effect in North Texas because Dallas and Tarrant counties only have one drop-off location anyway.

And voters can still mail their mail-in ballots -- although many want to drop them off in person amid concerns about postal service delivery times.

Travis county, as mentioned, had two locations (News reports keep saying four, but they apparently never looked at the addresses on the county website), both downtown. Bexar county also has one. So that's 6.7mn people (Each of the three counties, Dallas, Tarrant, Bexar is over 2mn) who their counties decided on their own that only one location was required. If you add Austin's downtown requirement, that is 8mn people that, before Abbott's order, election officials thought that one location per county was sufficient.

The detremental effect of the order is negligible. Whether there is significant positive effect is another question entirely, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No I predicted it and was wrong in the end. Funny that the same people who said I was mad are now jumping on the conspiracy bandwagon

Oh sorry you predicted, now if Biden had announced last night that he’d contracted Covid would you be claiming that you had been right that he would find a way to drop out or would you have been worried for his health?

I don't agree with this. It's been basically the last four years. They had a poor candidate in Hilary who has no charisma. She looked certain to get in and Trump and his trash talking somehow won the day and since then we've seen an awful side to the Democrats but certainly not before then.

Parties are often rotting from the ground up for many years before it gets to the top.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

the media embarassed themselves (again) on this one ...
    When every country was scrambling and the US were getting PPE gear from China , the media mocked him cos the US was reliant on China and mocked him that he wasnt taking care of US citizens.
    Forgetting it was a campaign policy and adminsitration goal to wean the US off 40 years of off-shoring manufacturing to China, in whihc they had made great inroads and forgetting they were calling him zenaphobic for wanting todo this.

Then when the Trump administration came in and started hoovering up all the PPE kit they were complaining about TRump being a bully for taking the kit.

Then when he had US companies on he WH lawn to push them to manufacture, the media accused him of having some cronies along.

In the medias warped idea of what passes for Pulitzer winning journalism
    If he doesnt have it he is a failure
    if he goes out and gets it he is a failure
    If he promotes US companys to make it in the US he is a failure

Not to worry the RIGOLO household are going to be celebrating tonight, I put my money in US based manufacturering of PPE equipment (APT and LAKE) and they are busting a move this morning in the markets. when your green and most are red you picked a winner ... cha ching

It will take journalism a generation to recover from their fake news face plant , about the same amount of time it will take CNN to recover the millions and millions they had to pay Nick Sandman ..

1351 days, lets hope he makes it to 1352

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bookies have Trump at 2/1 now having been evens last week. Great.

All betting seems to be suspended, at least all the major bookies on Oddschecker have stopped it. A mate in Australia told me there was a massive flood of money onto Biden and also that Pences odds went from 100/1 to 12/1 in the space of an hour and then they suspended the market, the bookies are afraid of getting rinsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It seems the peeps on the right want the people on the left to be all politically correct now and feign "thoughts and prayers" to the dear leader Donnie and his Android..

Aside from Trump himself mocking Clinton for pneumonia, here is the darling of the right showing his unsurprising utter hypocrisy

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1312011474383011843?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Then when he had US companies on he WH lawn to push them to manufacture, the media accused him of having some cronies along.

The media did appear at the time to have cause for concern
    https://www.businessinsider.com/jared-kushner-coronavirus-task-force-prioritized-ppe-trump-associates-nyt-2020-5?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Aside from Trump himself mocking Clinton for pneumonia, here is the darling of the right showing his unsurprising utter hypocrisy

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1312011474383011843?s=20

I'll leave it to Melania to explain..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF18djABhDm/?igshid=jjovmevo6i68

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"Who geevs a fak abat the kreeesmahs stahff"

Just thinking, everybody knew Trump was done as far as this election is concerned. Could this be a move to replace him? What happens if it comes to the stage that he is not fit to go forward? Does Pence become the nominee or could somebody else step in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just thinking, everybody knew Trump was done as far as this election is concerned. Could this be a move to replace him? What happens if it comes to the stage that he is not fit to go forward? Does Pence become the nominee or could somebody else step in?

A move by who?

salmocab wrote:
    A move by who?
    The GOP with Trump's blessing. I wouldn't put anything beyond them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Perhaps , but when China became an issue earlier this year , Manufacturing didn't come back to the US , it went to places like Vietnam and Indonesia etc.

Unless western consumers are willing to pay substantially more for consumer goods , the manufacture of that type of commodity is simply never coming back , no matter much people might wish it.

You needed a driver's license or ability to show up anyway. We're not talking about the hundreds of polling sites per county, at which you can still drop off the ballot on election day.

So far, it seems that the only location particularly affected is Houston.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics/voter-guide-texas-gov-abbott-restricts-mail-in-ballot-drop-off-locations/2453539/

Realistically, the order will have little effect in North Texas because Dallas and Tarrant counties only have one drop-off location anyway.

And voters can still mail their mail-in ballots -- although many want to drop them off in person amid concerns about postal service delivery times.

Travis county, as mentioned, had two locations (News reports keep saying four, but they apparently never looked at the addresses on the county website), both downtown. Bexar county also has one. So that's 6.7mn people (Each of the three counties, Dallas, Tarrant, Bexar is over 2mn) who their counties decided on their own that only one location was required. If you add Austin's downtown requirement, that is 8mn people that, before Abbott's order, election officials thought that one location per county was sufficient.

The detremental effect of the order is negligible. Whether there is significant positive effect is another question entirely, however.

Odd that - Large Metropolitan area that largely votes Democratic Party is the place significantly impacted by a Republican Governors efforts to make it harder to vote by mail..

Colour me shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The GOP with Trump's blessing. I wouldn't put anything beyond them.

At the moment this doesn't seem likely imo. You think Pelosi is in on it? She says she's waiting for a test result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Perhaps , but when China became an issue earlier this year , Manufacturing didn't come back to the US , it went to places like Vietnam and Indonesia etc.

Unless western consumers are willing to pay substantially more for consumer goods , the manufacture of that type of commodity is simply never coming back , no matter much people might wish it.

Odd that - Large Metropolitan area that largely votes Democratic Party is the place significantly impacted by a Republican Governors efforts to make it harder to vote by mail..

Colour me shocked.

Isn't there an audio recording of Trump and some other prominent republican politician saying that if everyone was able to vote the republicans wouldn't have a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

No not everyone only the idiots who are believing the polls think trump is done.

No not everyone only the idiots who are believing the polls think trump is done.
    I don't read polls but I know he's done. You can't continue on doing the insane stuff he's been at for nearly four years and expect to get elected again. The Dems gave him a chance by putting up Joe Biden but he couldn't even beat him at the debate.
    He needed a big g win at the first debate to have any chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

salmocab wrote: »
    Oh sorry you predicted, now if Biden had announced last night that he’d contracted Covid would you be claiming that you had been right that he would find a way to drop out or would you have been worried for his health?

Don't be one bit surprised if Biden does contract it. He's fairly likely to actually given his schedule at the moment. If that happens, I'd be the first person to wish him well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement