Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Placed 220 for Kerry and 480 for Cork in open panel for 2020 EO for probably zero chance?��

Its hard to judge to be honest, there is still Stage 2 (Etray) and Stage 3 (Interview) before the final OOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jambori

Does anyone know if our new OOM after e-tray is for the whole county or is it just for the batch you are in? TIA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Phantasos

I'm in the top 10 and was interviewed and waiting on a placement but had written it off

Top 10 and still not placed? That is disappointing, I thought they'd be hiring way more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gestappo

Jambori wrote: »
    Does anyone know if our new OOM after e-tray is for the whole county or is it just for the batch you are in? TIA :)

I’m guessing it’s for that allocated batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭belgowho

Did the maths test go towards the final grade or did you just have to pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

belgowho wrote: »
    Did the maths test go towards the final grade or did you just have to pass?

You just have to pass, only questionnaire and verbal count for scores

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

Out of curiosity- do they do internal competitions (not like the current nationwide search) for filling e o roles like they send out c o vacancies internally or other civil service areas all the time to me

Yes, they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Thrillhouse11

Assuming you pass the interview, do you have any choice when it comes to the department you end up in? Say you're offered an EO position with Revenue, but it really doesn't appeal to you, can you turn it down and still be offered something elsewhere? Or are you basically tied to whatever department they offer you initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gestappo

Assuming you pass the interview, do you have any choice when it comes to the department you end up in? Say you're offered an EO position with Revenue, but it really doesn't appeal to you, can you turn it down and still be offered something elsewhere? Or are you basically tied to whatever department they offer you initially?

No. You turn an offer down, you’re removed completely from the panel.

ETA: I’ve mentioned this a good few times throughout this post; you’re just a number who’ll be allocated to the next vacancy. They do not take in any previous experience, address etc into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 West is Best

Phantasos wrote: »
    Top 10 and still not placed? That is disappointing, I thought they'd be hiring way more than that.

It is; like a lot here, I've been waiting on this since January 19!

• Advertisement

jules86 wrote: »
    This is first time I've heard of this being done. What competition was it done on previously?

This was the 2019 campaign. Maybe it has changed though, according to someone else here quoting the 2020 booklet

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doc22

It is; like a lot here, I've been waiting on this since January 19!

Were you batch 1.1 for interview? Not leaving the top 10 for Galway doesn't seem right.

doc22 wrote: »
    Were you batch 1.1 for interview? Not leaving the top 10 for Galway doesn't seem right.

Batch 1.3 in Galway and Batch 1.2 in 2nd choice

• Registered Users Posts: 24 in rainbows

Batch 1.3 in Galway and Batch 1.2 in 2nd choice

Please excuse my lack of knowledge re: this stage of the process, is that to say 20 for example (people) would have been placed from batches 1 and 2 and now onto batch 3?
    Any idea how many in each batch
    Thanks

Quote: Tubberfinn
    PLEASE NOTE: If you are invited to attend stage 3 (Interview) for one of your regional locations and you attend, you will no longer be considered for any other position in your other regional location choice.

As per above from booklet you can only be on one panel

In this competition it would appear it is strictly true that if you attend interview for one county, you will no longer be considered for the second county. It is pretty clear from the booklet.

I don't have the 2020 booklet, so maybe that has changed since the 2019 campaign. My interview never stipulated which region it was related to though, so this could maybe happen again for someone

Please excuse my lack of knowledge re: this stage of the process, is that to say 20 for example (people) would have been placed from batches 1 and 2 and now onto batch 3?
    Any idea how many in each batch
    Thanks

No idea how many are in each batch, but when top 10 hasn't been reached it doesn't really matter if it's 20 or 50 in the batch!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Buster97

I got an OOM of mid 400’s for Dublin on the open stream, is it likely I’ll get through to etray or interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OliverAngler

im hoping they let loads do the etray its probably the only part of testing that is relevant anyway.

i didnt score too highly in the questonaire. strange cause it was pretty much same as 2019 eo one where i did score well and answered both same way.

2019 eo oom was based on verbal and etray. there was no online testing just the questionaire initially

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Buster97 wrote: »
    I got an OOM of mid 400’s for Dublin on the open stream, is it likely I’ll get through to etray or interview?

Yes you should get called for etray.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Buster97

im hoping they let loads do the etray its probably the only part of testing that is relevant anyway.

i didnt score too highly in the questonaire. strange cause it was pretty much same as 2019 eo one where i did score well and answered both same way.

2019 eo oom was based on verbal and etray. there was no online testing just the questionaire initially

Yeah I’m hoping for the same myself.

I have to say I found the numerical tests unnecessarily hard, I can’t imagine a situation where that level of numerical skills would be relevant to the role. Especially considering it’s highly likely you’d have excel to hand for anything numerical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Paul2020

Does anyone know what each of the exam's was marked out of? I did'nt pass numerical but would be interested to find out is the "39" 39% and if you got 50 is that 50%.
    This is not in the info booklet either....I have checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Booklad86

Jay328 wrote: »
    Yes you should get called for etray.

How about 400s in Cork. Do you reckon I’ll be called for eTray?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

Paul2020 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what each of the exam's was marked out of? I did'nt pass numerical but would be interested to find out is the "39" 39% and if you got 50 is that 50%.
    This is not in the info booklet either....I have checked.

Usually they are out of 80 but someone up thread posted that they got 84 or something like that in one of the tests so I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

No idea how many are in each batch, but when top 10 hasn't been reached it doesn't really matter if it's 20 or 50 in the batch!

The batch size does make a difference of course.
    Top 10 in batch 3 if there are 20 in a batch is actually top 50.
    If there are 50 in a batch it's top 110.

These panels are always a bit of a gamble really and can never get too excited until the first day on the job cos there are no guarantees. I finished in the top 5 for my county top 30 over all in batch 1 last year for a comp and no call and not likely at this stage however people who finished outside the top 50 that had a location with vacancies did get placed. Its just the luck of the draw sometimes. I know that's no comfort.
    Hopefully this time you will be luckier.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Buster97 wrote: »
    Yeah I’m hoping for the same myself.

I have to say I found the numerical tests unnecessarily hard, I can’t imagine a situation where that level of numerical skills would be relevant to the role. Especially considering it’s highly likely you’d have excel to hand for anything numerical.
    You were allowed a calculator though which is more or less the same as using excel. You still need to know what to do with the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Paul2020

Thanks for that, I was just thinking it might have been out of 100 but it's probably not.
    Hope you got on well!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Booklad86 wrote: »
    How about 400s in Cork. Do you reckon I’ll be called for eTray?

I would say most likely given the amount of government departments in Cork.

The thing is there is a lot of retirements coming up and even with covid I say the government will want to keep the current staffing levels at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Booklad86

Jay328 wrote: »
    I would say most likely given the amount of government departments in Cork.

The thing is there is a lot of retirements coming up and even with covid I say the government will want to keep the current staffing levels at least.

Having an OOM in the 400s is a confusing place to be! Thanks for getting back to me. It would be great to have the chance to improve my OOM in eTray. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fionnr01

gestappo wrote: »
    No. You turn an offer down, you’re removed completely from the panel.

ETA: I’ve mentioned this a good few times throughout this post; you’re just a number who’ll be allocated to the next vacancy. They do not take in any previous experience, address etc into account.
    Any idea when we will be contacted re etray? Your predictions have been pretty spot on so far!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Would anyone have a link to get samples of the e-tray. I presume we will get a sample before the test.

Advertisement