Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

Sorry Eric but you're just assuming that. When I was working in office earlier this year there were 3 different girls driving in to our offices in D2 from Tallaght, Artane, and Ballyfermot ffs. All have great transport links and easily cycleable even walkable if you really wanted. Purely down to convenience and laziness and the fact that a lot of people would rather sit in traffic than the hassle of getting a bus etc.

But aren't you assuming that these girls were going straight home after work? How do you know that they weren't going somewhere else after work that meant using their cars?
    To assume it's purely convenience and laziness is rather insulting but that's the norm with the anti car brigade...ye try and tell everyone to live their lives according to your beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why had you no choice?

Because I couldn't afford to buy in Dublin that's why after renting for over 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Because I couldn't afford to buy in Dublin that's why after renting for over 7 years.

I bet you could afford, just not in an area you'd like. My house was 167k in Dublin 5, but my neighbours have working class accents.

gifted wrote: »
    But aren't you assuming that these girls were going straight home after work? How do you know that they weren't going somewhere else after work that meant using their cars?
    To assume it's purely convenience and laziness is rather insulting but that's the norm with the anti car brigade...ye try and tell everyone to live their lives according to your beliefs.

I know these people well enough, they drove to work every day because they could. Simple as that.
    The anti car brigade doesn't seem to be achieving much given the roads are just jam packed with cars every day, never seen a Saturday as bad traffic wise out my way today, and there's no bike lanes or bus lanes around here you could blame. Simply too many people in cars.

I bet you could afford, just not in an area you'd like. My house was 167k in Dublin 5, but my neighbours have working class accents.

Good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jackboy

I know these people well enough, they drove to work every day because they could. Simple as that.
    The anti car brigade doesn't seem to be achieving much given the roads are just jam packed with cars every day, never seen a Saturday as bad traffic wise out my way today, and there's no bike lanes or bus lanes around here you could blame. Simply too many people in cars.

Cars are essential in this country. Let’s face it, because of the weather, every other form of transport is sh1t. Bring on electric cars, but let’s not pretend that public transport or bicycles come anywhere close to the convenience of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Were you in a car yourself when you were casting judgement on all the other drivers? As for busy, its two weeks before Christmas and we are just out of lockdown, of course it's going to be busy.

Were you in a car yourself when you were casting judgement on all the other drivers? As for busy, its two weeks before Christmas and we are just out of lockdown, of course it's going to be busy.

Nope, I was cycling to the gym.

Good for you.

My point is lots of people say they had to buy a house in Navan due to being priced out, when they could have got one in Dublin but it'd be smaller and in a less salubrious area. I don't see why the city should be designed for people who decide not to live here.

My point is lots of people say they had to buy a house in Navan due to being priced out, when they could have got one in Dublin but it'd be smaller and in a less salubrious area. I don't see why the city should be designed for people who decide not to live here.

I'm not going to get into it to be honest as there is many places I wouldn't be moving to in Dublin as I'd be in prison having to deal with the issue of that around....

• Advertisement

I like to drive no matter where I live. It suits me so I can bring children and elderly relatives where they need to go. I also use the car for work purposes and when travelling around the country. I sometimes wonder do cyclists know that if they are in a collision with a car it is most likely they will come off the worst? The reckless and often skilless way a lot of them cycle would indicate they don't. There really should be a cycling test that needs to be undertaken and the use of L plates and N plates by cyclists. They should also pay road tax and have to have insurance, an NBT would be a good idea too.

I like to drive no matter where I live. It suits me so I can bring children and elderly relatives where they need to go. I also use the car for work purposes and when travelling around the country. I sometimes wonder do cyclists know that if they are in a collision with a car it is most likely they will come off the worst? The reckless and often skilless way a lot of them cycle would indicate they don't. There really should be a cycling test that needs to be undertaken and the use of L plates and N plates by cyclists. They should also pay road tax and have to have insurance, an NBT would be a good idea too.

You ticked all the anti-cyclist boxes there, well done.
    2 pedestrians killed by motorists in the last few days and you're worried about cyclist behaviour which is harmless.

You ticked all the anti-cyclist boxes there, well done.
    2 pedestrians killed by motorists in the last few days and you're worried about cyclist behaviour which is harmless.

Thats sad news. The only person that was killed in the Phoenix Park in the past year was a pedestrian killed by a cyclist. They should ban cyclists from the park. After all, we are all pedestrians most of the time.

Thats sad news. The only person that was killed in the Phoenix Park in the past year was a pedestrian killed by a cyclist. They should ban cyclists from the park. After all, we are all pedestrians most of the time.

You might want to look that up pal. There was no pedestrian killed by a cyclist last year in Ireland.

You might want to look that up pal. There was no pedestrian killed by a cyclist last year in Ireland.

The point is cyclists need to be more mindful and careful. It should be obvious to anyone with more than 1 brain cell that driving at high speed on 1 inch of rubber is a dangerous activity particularly to the person doing it. Everyone else shouldn't have to get our of their way. A bit like sulkey racing, bike racing should be done in designated areas only.

The point is cyclists need to be more mindful and careful. It should be obvious to anyone with more than 1 brain cell that driving at high speed on 1 inch of rubber is a dangerous activity particularly to the person doing it. Everyone else shouldn't have to get our of their way. A bit like sulkey racing, bike racing should be done in designated areas only.

The point is a pedestrian walked into a bike lane and killed a cyclist. The complete opposite of what you said.
    But yes maybe we should encourage everyone who cycles to use cars instead, it might make for a better society ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

There is literally only two houses with 2+ bedrooms under the price you paid on Daft at the minute and they are both in Balbriggan
    https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/dublin/houses?numBeds_from=2&sort=priceAsc&salePrice_to=200000

The cheapest house in Dublin 5 at the minute is 265,000 and that's going to be bid up.
    https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/dublin-5-dublin/houses?sort=priceAsc&salePrice_to=300000

Don't lecture people it you don't understand what the market is like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Has Eamon got any updates on the reintroduction of wolves into Ireland or is he asleep on that too ?

statesaver wrote: »
    Has Eamon got any updates on the reintroduction of wolves into Ireland or is he asleep on that too ?

Eamon said that if we were to introducing a rewilding program and build our natural forests back, maybe in 30 or 40 years wolves could be reintroduced.
    Do you not think that would be amazing? Belgium, Holland, France etc all have wolves, facilitated by corridors of forest throughout Europe. We are one of the most denatured countries in the world, it's nothing to be proud of.
    Scotland have reintroduced the beaver, and are about to reintroduce the lynx, a beautiful animal. Do you not wish we could do similar here? Or should we just continue shotgunning and poisoning buzzards and other birds of prey and destroying nature like it is our enemy?
    It'll never happen here with the wolves or anything else, because our country is a giant farm, but some of us wish we still had some wilderness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Eamon said that if we were to introducing a rewilding program and build our natural forests back, maybe in 30 or 40 years wolves could be reintroduced.
    Do you not think that would be amazing? Belgium, Holland, France etc all have wolves, facilitated by corridors of forest throughout Europe. We are one of the most denatured countries in the world, it's nothing to be proud of.
    Scotland have reintroduced the beaver, and are about to reintroduce the lynx, a beautiful animal. Do you not wish we could do similar here? Or should we just continue shotgunning and poisoning buzzards and other birds of prey and destroying nature like it is our enemy?
    It'll never happen here with the wolves or anything else, because our country is a giant farm, but some of us wish we still had some wilderness.

No shortage of wilderness up here, agriculture has been in decline for 40 years, Greens want to tear it all up and erect windmills, the 13 near me haven't turned a blade all week,

• Advertisement

The point is a pedestrian walked into a bike lane and killed a cyclist. The complete opposite of what you said.
    But yes maybe we should encourage everyone who cycles to use cars instead, it might make for a better society ffs...

Should we ban pedestrians too to accommodate cyclists?

What have the greens done for the environment since getting into government?

Why can’t they cut back on the planting of those conifers that have destroyed the landscape? They could make every plantation at least 50% natives.

Eamon Ryan’s second stint in government and still showing no interest in really improving the environment.

jackboy wrote: »
    What have the greens done for the environment since getting into government?

Why can’t they cut back on the planting of those conifers that have destroyed the landscape? They could make every plantation at least 50% natives.

Eamon Ryan’s second stint in government and still showing no interest in really improving the environment.

It's not like they can just make decisions on these things with no objections, too many vested interests on all sides

It's not like they can just make decisions on these things with no objections, too many vested interests on all sides

I have seen no objections because I have seen no attempts to make real changes. Just talking crap about carbon taxes which will do nothing for the environment.

Rarely any objections to forestry, plenty to windmills, Bord Plaenala told wind farm on Meebog would cause mudslides, hammered it through anyway, company were told to cease and desist after the slide, carrying on unimpeded,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Del.Monte wrote: »
    @ Kivaro

Don't forget the virtue signaller in their party who was so concerned about the Irish language that he almost collapsed the government formation talks. As you say, everything except environmental issues seems to dominate their thinking. If only they could persuade their leftie, do-gooder, virtue signallers to **** off to one of the left wing fringe parties it would be better for all concerned. In the meantime they get my vote as there's nobody else.

When did that happen? I never heard of it, it was not reported on at the time.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    When did that happen? I never heard of it, it was not reported on at the time.

FG don't recognise the Cash for Ash scandal in the North, they ignore any wrongdoing by Loyalists for that matter,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's interesting how the greens and Eamon seem to do nothing, have zero influence. Until it's something you don't like then they are the most powerful and influential people in gov, and across Europe.

They can't be both.

The only people who have done less in govt than FG are the greens. Which pretty hard to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's almost like when people get in power they change their spots.

I'm seeing Alan Kelly get a lot of praise these days for his leadership of the opposition despite Labour being absolute weapons when he was in Govt. The same can be said for the green party now.

Power corrupts. (Not literally, in this case parties merely drop their value system for trade offs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Maybe we should just ban pedestrians.

Advertisement