Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

He is a thundering shambles and it is obvious to anyone that cares to look objectively at the man

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Del.Monte - quit it with the personal jabs at other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Simple question, anyone see his utterly baffling and incoherent Dail appearance today and does anyone actually think it wise for him to be leading questions, any questions. Just dreadful, I'm sure the TD'S asking questions were as equally baffled as to why he was actually there, just awful stuff and sadly it might have been better had he fallen asleep.

Any links to it beyond the SF one from Twitter above?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

And why does my opinion matter to you so much so that you have to fantasize about it?

Eamon is out of his depth as a leading member of government, that's a fact.

Opinions and facts are not the same thing. Your statement is very much an opinion. And a biased one at that.

Granadino wrote: »
    People with no other troubles in life such as public transport, jobs, money, lifestyle, vote for the Green Party. Useless.

Ryan and his lot have no place in Government during the current CV-19 situation and the upcoming economic crisis. He is conspicuously absent from anything beyond his one-man crusade and it's very easy to forget he's actually a partner in this Government. Anytime he does appear he comes across as completely out of touch and out of his depth.

The Greens are there to make up the numbers and have no mandate or support from the majority of the electorate. They're supported by idealistic student-types, protest voters against FF/FG, and the well off in urban areas who grow a social conscience in "good times" to virtue-signal, but lose it just as quickly when it starts to hit them in their pocket.

Their "initiatives" are either fantasy nonsense, or boil down to taxing people for things they can't avoid (eg: rural motorists, or people forced into commuting to work an hour and 2 counties away because of the property/rental situation).

All they are doing now is what they did last time they were in Government. Coming up with new ways to put further financial pressure on people while propping up an unstable and increasingly unpopular Government.

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Simple question, anyone see his utterly baffling and incoherent Dail appearance today and does anyone actually think it wise for him to be leading questions, any questions. Just dreadful, I'm sure the TD'S asking questions were as equally baffled as to why he was actually there, just awful stuff and sadly it might have been better had he fallen asleep.
    Came across as totally incompetent. Was a very strange performance. The green party made a serious mistake in keeping him on as leader.

Any links to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    The article cites they were not followed. You go looking up what ones if you like.
    We know they were there, we know they weren't followed, we know there were apologises.
    If you don't see any issue thats cula bula.

You are trying to change the issue.
    A meeting was held, people were excluded. Apologies were made.
    Greens engaging in FF style politics.

So a newspaper article says something, and you accept it without question. Fair enough.

There is no protocol, there is no procedure, there is one big ego, that of Councillor Burke, which was bruised, which for some reason, some people decided to be nice to him. That is all, no misbehaviour by the Minister, nothing to see, only sad little councillor feeling left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

KevRossi wrote: »
    No. SF put out an 11 second heavily edited clip which shows him looking like he's sleeping. There's a wider shot a few seconds later from Oireachtas TV that shows he's actually on his phone or tablet. Pure clickbait and a lie, but it's trending on Twitter, SF aren't denying it, it'll make Ryan look bad and that's all they care about.

I'm not a fan of Eamon Ryan's, but this crap of heavily editing video footage is rooting itself in Irish politics and I like that even less.

https://twitter.com/ClareWithTheHai/status/1301269744566308882

You have to wonder are we going down the US route with this type of crap.
    In 5 years, will we also have a disfunctional, polarised and agressive political system.
    Social media being used to spread hatred and anger can only lead to one end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    So a newspaper article says something, and you accept it without question. Fair enough.

There is no protocol, there is no procedure, there is one big ego, that of Councillor Burke, which was bruised, which for some reason, some people decided to be nice to him. That is all, no misbehaviour by the Minister, nothing to see, only sad little councillor feeling left out.

Very Trump angle. Don't trust the mainstream media, listen to some rando with an agenda on the net instead? All parties involved accept what happened.

If you can show why the article is wrong and therefore why their apologising was in error, please do. Links for verification would be most welcome.
    Otherwise you are making a claim with zero back up. You should really post that 'in your opinion' the people involved and the editor, journalist etc. are mistaken. Then show your work.

You read the article, (I assume), I'll not keep repeating it.

Green's engaging in old school FF style governance? Depends on what was discussed and why? Were notes taken and a record kept or would that just be the minute takers ego being bruised? :rolleyes:

Very Trump angle. Don't trust the mainstream media, listen to some rando with an agenda on the net instead? All parties involved accept what happened.

If you can show why the article is wrong and therefore why their apologising was in error, please do. Links for verification would be most welcome.
    Otherwise you are making a claim with zero back up. You should really post that 'in your opinion' the people involved and the editor, journalist etc. are mistaken. Then show your work.

You read the article, (I assume), I'll not keep repeating it.

Green's engaging in old school FF style governance? Depends on what was discussed and why? Were notes taken and a record kept or would that just be the minute takers ego being bruised? :rolleyes:

It is not just newspapers. There have been clear statements on here about side-stepping procedure and bypassing procedure. All I have asked for is a copy of the procedure that is being referred to.

As far as I am concerned, and based on my knowledge and experience, there is no procedure, there is no process or anything else that was bypassed by Ryan. If you ask me to prove that there are no leprechauns, I am faced with the same problem, how do I prove that something doesn't exist? And if you were claiming that leprechauns exist, I would pose the same challenge to you as I do with the procedure - show me a real leprechaun, not a newspaper article claiming that leprechauns exist, so over to those that claim that a procedure was bypassed, and produce the procedure.

I mean, if the procedure is that difficult to find and produce, then can it be a surprise that nobody knew about it? Either way, unless you can produce a procedure, then Ryan did nothing wrong, either because there was no procedure, or because it was only known to so few people that he couldn't have been expected to be aware of it.

Its side stepping procedure for we do not know what. It's bogey.
    it was a meeting bypassing procedure and cutting out Burke and others.

• Advertisement

It is not just newspapers. There have been clear statements on here about side-stepping procedure and bypassing procedure. All I have asked for is a copy of the procedure that is being referred to.

As far as I am concerned, and based on my knowledge and experience, there is no procedure, there is no process or anything else that was bypassed by Ryan. If you ask me to prove that there are no leprechauns, I am faced with the same problem, how do I prove that something doesn't exist? And if you were claiming that leprechauns exist, I would pose the same challenge to you as I do with the procedure - show me a real leprechaun, not a newspaper article claiming that leprechauns exist, so over to those that claim that a procedure was bypassed, and produce the procedure.

I mean, if the procedure is that difficult to find and produce, then can it be a surprise that nobody knew about it? Either way, unless you can produce a procedure, then Ryan did nothing wrong, either because there was no procedure, or because it was only known to so few people that he couldn't have been expected to be aware of it.

You might very well be correct. That's your side deflection.
    Are you honed in on disproving a claim never made specifically about sleepy Eamo?
    Here's a section from the article, again:
    Dublin City Council chief executive Owen Keegan has apologised for holding a meeting with Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan and two Green party councillors which was claimed took place in “secret”.

Mr Keegan was asked by several Independent councillors to explain why the meeting took place between officials and Government without the chair of the local authority’s transport committee.

Mr Keegan has apologised to Dublin Central Independent councillor Christy Burke, who is chairman of the Transportation Strategic Policy Committee (SPC), after he slammed last month’s meeting for contravening regulations and protocols.

I suggest you contact Mr. Keegan and Mr. Burke. The report has enough detail for me. Keegan apologised and two of the Greens felt they should too. They believe it was worth apologising for.
    I want to know why and what details were discussed? No point having a sneaky FF style meeting unless there's a crony deal, am I right?

You might very well be correct. That's your side deflection.
    Are you honed in on disproving a claim never made specifically about sleepy Eamo?
    Here's a section from the article, again:

I suggest you contact Mr. Keegan and Mr. Burke. The report has enough detail for me. Keegan apologised and two of the Greens felt they should too. They believe it was worth apologising for.
    I want to know why and what details were discussed? No point having a sneaky FF style meeting unless there's a crony deal, am I right?

There were plenty of unsubstantiated claims made about Ryan.

This FF style of side meetings and bypassing elected officials isn't acceptable. I know FG let standards slip, ('what standards?' i know, I know) so why not the Greens.

Eamo obviously hasn't the manners of the others.

As I said, looks bogey. Greens got a pal looking for a contract? After all that's the quality of political party they travel with now.

If you see nothing inappropriate there, sure no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

KaneToad wrote: »
    Opinions and facts are not the same thing. Your statement is very much an opinion. And a biased one at that.

Thanks for pointing that out Captain Obvious.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Ahh, would you listen to yourself like a good man?

You're getting totally carried away altogether with yourself, this is a discussion forum not a court of law.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Eamon Ryan on "The Hard Shoulder" tonight and came across well when discussing environmental issues (the new recycling initiatives, bottle and can deposit schemes etc.) which is why a lot of people voted Green in the first place. I'm happy anyway.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan on "The Hard Shoulder" tonight and came across well when discussing environmental issues (the new recycling initiatives, bottle and can deposit schemes etc.) which is why a lot of people voted Green in the first place. I'm happy anyway.

Ahh, that's nice.

Good stuff. Eamon and the Greens definitely have the pulse of the big issues facing the country :rolleyes:

It was just on the main news now and yep true to form, the "Green" answer to it is to levy and ban everything they don't like.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Good stuff. Eamon and the Greens definitely have the pulse of the big issues facing the country :rolleyes:

It was just on the main news now and yep true to form, the "Green" answer to it is to levy and ban everything they don't like.

You may not have noticed but next to Covid-19 the environment is the big issue whether or not Paddy gives a damn. :rolleyes:

There were plenty of unsubstantiated claims made about Ryan.

So you've moved on to another angle. Okey doke, lets look at these 'unsubstantiated claims'.
    This FF style of side meetings and bypassing elected officials isn't acceptable. I know FG let standards slip, ('what standards?' i know, I know) so why not the Greens.

They apologised for the meeting contravening regulations and protocols. Worst 'claim' here is likening the Green's to FF/FG. Well they are in partnership.
    Eamo obviously hasn't the manners of the others.

We are of the belief he's the only one didn't apologise.
    As I said, looks bogey. Greens got a pal looking for a contract? After all that's the quality of political party they travel with now.

Until we find out the details and why they held a meeting contravening regulations and protocols, it looks bogey. That's my view, based on available information.

And yes...I repeat...
    If you see nothing inappropriate there, sure no worries.

Is this you trying to make a mountain out of a molehill you yourself dug? I see a theme of trying to create allegations against sleepy Eamo.
    Just take that the meeting happened, most everyone involved feels it was contravening regulations and protocols. People apologised. I think it looks bogey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is he actually as dim as he looks or is he on the whacky tobaccy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

He's a nice chap and I'm sure his heart is in the right place but he is in way over his head. The environment is a key item that strong figures will have to push to protect going forward. It needs someone tough to drive it and Eamon isn't the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Glad we're finally catching up with the rest of Europe with a can and bottle recycling credit scheme

smurgen wrote: »
    He's a nice chap and I'm sure his heart is in the right place but he is in way over his head. The environment is a key item that strong figures will have to push to protect going forward. It needs someone tough to drive it and Eamon isn't the man.

You what!!!

How is a tiny island way out West from Europe going to save the planet.... Look at China, USA hell most other countries and the pollution they produce....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You what!!!

How is a tiny island way out West from Europe going to save the planet.... Look at China, USA hell most other countries and the pollution they produce....

We produce quite a lot per capita, one of the worst in Europe. Biodiversity is a mess here too, no trees, no nature. Lots of work to be done in our own back yard.

You what!!!

This is the fecking attitude when it comes to doing anything in Ireland - we're so small that it's pointless doing anything. How about Ireland taking a lead instead of just uselessly wringing our hands and waiting for someone else. Eamon Ryan may not be the most dynamic leader the Greens have ever had but at least he can spell environment which is more than can be said about most of the bandwagon TDs in the present Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Did they ask is he still driving around in a diesel?

Was he able to stay awake for the whole interview?

Posh urbanites and their offspring are all that vote for the Greens.

Nail on head Sir.

I could equally post about "muck savages" from the west but I'm too posh an urbanite to do that.

This is the fecking attitude when it comes to doing anything in Ireland - we're so small that it's pointless doing anything. How about Ireland taking a lead instead of just uselessly wringing our hands and waiting for someone else. Eamon Ryan may not be the most dynamic leader the Greens have ever had but at least he can spell environment which is more than can be said about most of the bandwagon TDs in the present Dail.

Oh that's it of course, tax the stupid people so they can't afford to change......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RoversCeltic

that is incorrect

he has a car that runs on biofuel

Advertisement