Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I am an advocate of sustainability and environmental-friendly policies, but definitely not a fan of the current Green Party in Ireland, whose focus seems to be on everything else e.g. Direct Provision, migrant camps etc., so I will never vote for them while they are in this virtue signalling mode.

In saying that, of the 3 leaders currently in the coalition, Eamon Ryan would be the one I trust most. The other 2 have proven to be untrustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

@ Kivaro

Don't forget the virtue signaller in their party who was so concerned about the Irish language that he almost collapsed the government formation talks. As you say, everything except environmental issues seems to dominate their thinking. If only they could persuade their leftie, do-gooder, virtue signallers to **** off to one of the left wing fringe parties it would be better for all concerned. In the meantime they get my vote as there's nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Kivaro wrote: »
    I am an advocate of sustainability and environmental-friendly policies, but definitely not a fan of the current Green Party in Ireland, whose focus seems to be on everything else e.g. Direct Provision, migrant camps etc., so I will never vote for them while they are in this virtue signalling mode.

In saying that, of the 3 leaders currently in the coalition, Eamon Ryan would be the one I trust most. The other 2 have proven to be untrustworthy.

Fair Points but I wondered how relevant is Eamonn Ryan in the overall scheme of things and in particular this Government. Its been a cringe vest watching his performance to date, most notably his presence at government press conferences. His interjections are just embarrassing and I've yet to see a single Journalist actually ask him a question. I can not at all figure out why the greens are actually in this Government and confidence a supply arrangement might have been more strategically beneficial.

Ryan seems a decent sort but is utterly lost and its without a shadow of doubt the Greens will experience the same faith as they did last time they entered government. FFG are running rings around them, particularly leaky Leo

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

He lives in cloud cuckoo land with the fairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭Augme

Kivaro wrote: »

The problem is it was that "virtue signalling mode" (whatever the **** that actually means go only knows!) Is what got them so much more members, voters and councillors and TDs. If they go back to being about sustainability and environemt they will go back to being an irrelevance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

7% of the vote meaning 93% of the population didn't vote for Eamonn and co. Yet they are part of the government.

With those kind of numbers sure who would pay any notice to him or his fellow lettuces. No mandate.

Go back to sleep Eamo

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

7% of the vote meaning 93% of the population didn't vote for Eamonn and co. Yet they are part of the government.

With those kind of numbers sure who would pay any notice to him or his fellow lettuces. No mandate.

Go back to sleep Eamo

He got a million quid a day to spend on his sick cycling fetish , he’s happy out

How are people actually not causing a stir over all the covid cycle measures.... Wait till people are back to work, commutes will be astronomical.

I have to leave 15 minutes earlier now due to all the cycles in the light sequence and all this business of only allowing 3 cars through at a time....

City will be a car park.

Buses no longer fitbin lanes, bus lanes, have to go across footpaths etc etc...

How are people actually not causing a stir over all the covid cycle measures.... Wait till people are back to work, commutes will be astronomical.

I have to leave 15 minutes earlier now due to all the cycles in the light sequence and all this business of only allowing 3 cars through at a time....

City will be a car park.

1/5th of the traffic volume is causing worse traffic than pre pandemic, this is all an accelerated road diet and a complete nightmare.

Only the greens would be so isolated from reality that there are hundreds of thousands of people who have no other way to work and they want all their (primarily diesel) cars to sit in traffic burning oil even longer while trying to get to work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

1/5th of the traffic volume is causing worse traffic than pre pandemic, this is all an accelerated road diet and a complete nightmare.

Only the greens would be so isolated from reality that there are hundreds of thousands of people who have no other way to work and they want all their (primarily diesel) cars to sit in traffic burning oil even longer while trying to get to work

Would you prefer to take back that far less than 1% of road space so that 20% can join them fitting 20% more diesel cars into that tiny extra space? Can't see that working out too well.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Would you prefer that 20% joined them shoulder to shoulder in 20% more diesel cars? Can't see that working out too well.

Cars are more efficient at higher speeds (to a point) , if we put the cyclists on boardwalks and made both sides of the liffey 3 car lanes wide in and out we’d have people getting to work much faster and emitting less

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cars are more efficient at higher speeds (to a point) , if we put the cyclists on boardwalks and made both sides of the liffey 3 car lanes wide in and out we’d have people getting to work much faster and emitting less

Added to my post slightly after you hit refresh. This goes way beyond a bit of space on a Quay in Dublin, which is the last place you want higher speeds.

Has anyone actually driven on Lesson St. At 30km/h?

I've yet to see anyone, it feels weird driving a bus on a 4 lane empty road and been passed on both sides by cyclists.

Has anyone actually driven on Lesson St. At 30km/h?

I've yet to see anyone, it feels weird driving a bus on a 4 lane empty road and been passed on both sides by cyclists.

Ofcourse not, bar where traffic prevents it 50km/h is the normal speed people do in the city and is perfectly fine. Pembroke street during the non rush hour is a great site to behold, some of dublins finest large engined barges tearing up the street in the slight relief from all the chaos on nearby roads. One of the few places you can stretch your V8/10/12 out a bit in the city

What do the greens actually bring to the table?

I understand fires aren't a good source of heat as so much loss through the chimney but we need to get real, we need something in place that people can afford, credit etc...

If you look at many rentals, one pays a huge premium to live in an absolute sh1t hole with little or no insulation, barely working central heating if lucky or a fireplace.....

This is where one should be getting something for their money, huge waste on heating and electricity and electricity been so expensive here too.....

I'd love to know what are his plans and the parties too because most of what I've seen from before is we were completely shafted....

Green party bringing in the diesel cars as chape tax and so many buying them that had no use to save 200 or 300 on motor tax each year..... nuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

City will be a car park.

All those cars, buses, trucks etc.. Idiling longer in traffic jams because of it throwing more carbon into the air. Bravo greens, bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No point putting putting this on the greens it's a global problem.

Long term there isn't room to handle all the cars or the pollution. People won't change their habits until forced out of them. One of those habits it getting jobs with unsustainable commutes they won't stop that either until forced to change.

It's not just people getting to work it's people working. Couriers, truck drivers, bus drivers etc... A lot of these jobs will not be financially viable if this continues. South Dublin area is now at a standstill in many areas because of the green agenda.

What do the greens actually bring to the table?

Green party bringing in the diesel cars as chape tax and so many buying them that had no use to save 200 or 300 on motor tax each year..... nuts.

The greens are bit of failure of party. No argument there.

But the whole diesel things happened across Europe and even globally. Green party hardly have the influence to cause all that.

beauf wrote: »

Long term there isn't room to handle all the cars or the pollution. People won't change their habits until forced out of them. One of those habits it getting jobs with unsustainable commutes they won't stop that either until forced to change.
    The traffic is so bad we have reached the peak of everyone who has other means doing anything else. Any further wont be forcing people out of their cars, itll be forcing them out of their jobs.

Everyone who can take a bus/luas/bike to work is currently doing so, the only people left driving are tradesmen and those who simply have no access to alternatives and arent likely to get alternatives for years to come

• Advertisement

The traffic is so bad we have reached the peak of everyone who has other means doing anything else. Any further wont be forcing people out of their cars, itll be forcing them out of their jobs.

Everyone who can take a bus/luas/bike to work is currently doing so, the only people left driving are tradesmen and those who simply have no access to alternatives and arent likely to get alternatives for years to come

Most of the traffic problems are caused by local authorities not the green party. All traffic problems are generally caused by poor planning and design. They make constant bad choices. They put in daft signalling and design in bottlenecks for no reason. They been doing it for longer than the greens have been around..

If you don't want to be traffic you have change your choices. Because there is no doubt the local authorities will continue to be inept when it comes to traffic.

The greens and Eamon haven't managed to get eScooters legalised. Not a hope of them getting anything significant done.

I had no choice but to move 90km out of Dublin but work there, how can what you say be done,

People will either have to suck it up or make choices, choices that may leave them worse off but perhaps a better work life balance.

Anyone noticed all the roads are being narrowed at estate entrances/exits and just random roads....

Cars are having huge issues getting in and out, vans need to wait to be let in or out, trucks such as bin trucks great difficulty and buses.... No thought then to ambulance or fire crews.....

God help when everything is back to normal

People will either have to suck it up or make choices, choices that may leave them worse off but perhaps a better work life balance.

Well the Greens better have the best most comprehensive social housing strategy in history in place then because a lot of people aren't going to be able to get to work and afford a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭Augme

How did you come to that conclusion exactly? I am already dying to know what will happen to all this 3 lane traffic when it has to merge into one lane.

Also based in your research, can you tell me which other major cities increased car lanes which then reduced commute times?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I had no choice but to move 90km out of Dublin but work there, how can what you say be done,

Why had you no choice?

Augme wrote: »
    How did you come to that conclusion exactly? I am already dying to know what will happen to all this 3 lane traffic when it has to merge into one lane.

Also based in your research, can you tell me which other major cities increased car lanes which then reduced commute times?

https://twitter.com/urbanthoughts11/status/1191295205187686400

• Advertisement

Sorry Eric but you're just assuming that. When I was working in office earlier this year there were 3 different girls driving in to our offices in D2 from Tallaght, Artane, and Ballyfermot ffs. All have great transport links and easily cycleable even walkable if you really wanted. Purely down to convenience and laziness and the fact that a lot of people would rather sit in traffic than the hassle of getting a bus etc.

Advertisement