Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They apologised because what they did was wrong. Burke would be failing in his duties if he couldn't give two ****s.
    Its side stepping procedure for we do not know what. It's bogey.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    They apologised because what they did was wrong. Burke would be failing in his duties if he couldn't give two ****s.

Vague unsubstantiated allegations of misdoings?

Exactly what was wrong with the meeting? Ministers have meetings every day.

I met one at the weekend and had a chat with him about a topical issue. Was that wrong?

Do you want Ministers to sit in ivory towers away from everyone and make decisions in a vacuum? Sometimes vacuous political correctness turns itself into absurdity, this is one of those occasions and I make no apology for calling out the silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Those of you with long memories will remember the Greens going absolutely apesh*t at grubby side meetings in dark corners when certain councillors met dodgy developers in what looked like attempts to subvert the democratic process and push through their dodgy planning applications. They were right to be concerned then, and to express those concerns.

Now we have the Greens engaging in grubby side meetings in dark corners in what looks like an attempt to subvert the democratic process. No wonder people are concerned, and expressing those concerns, despite what certain lackeys and apparatchiks on here would have you believe, with their "nothing to see here move along now" rubbish :rolleyes:

They're only apologising because it has come to light. Rules for thee but not for me. A bunch of Phil Hogans on bikes, that's all they look like to anyone on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You've a serious chip on your shoulder if you think Minister for Climate action & 2 cllrs head of climate subcommittee in DCC having a meeting with chief exec of DCC is anywhere close to "an attempt to subvert the democratic process".

The only failure on their part is that the meeting was called with respect to climate action, and some of the discussions involved transport (unsurprising as there's such a big overlap) - head of transport committee in DCC is just upset that he wasn't involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

timmyntc wrote: »
    You've a serious chip on your shoulder if you think Minister for Climate action & 2 cllrs head of climate subcommittee in DCC having a meeting with chief exec of DCC is anywhere close to "an attempt to subvert the democratic process".

The only failure on their part is that the meeting was called with respect to climate action, and some of the discussions involved transport (unsurprising as there's such a big overlap) - head of transport committee in DCC is just upset that he wasn't involved.

It isn't just a small issue tacked on though. The proposals will have a significant impact on transport in the city. Should be obvious that the head of the council transport committee should be central. Unless there was a reason he was excluded

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Vague unsubstantiated allegations of misdoings?

Exactly what was wrong with the meeting? Ministers have meetings every day.

I met one at the weekend and had a chat with him about a topical issue. Was that wrong?

Do you want Ministers to sit in ivory towers away from everyone and make decisions in a vacuum? Sometimes vacuous political correctness turns itself into absurdity, this is one of those occasions and I make no apology for calling out the silliness.

Did you not read the article? It's not vague. They held a meeting without some of the key elected individuals present. It was wrong. They apologised.

If you are suggesting they were having a casual chat over a pint you might have a point. However, if you read the article, it was a meeting bypassing procedure and cutting out Burke and others.

'vacuous political correctness' :):)

timmyntc wrote: »

So transport wouldn't be a key factor in any council discussion on climate action? Could you tell me something far more important a council could tackle?
    We should have the elected and appropriate representatives at meetings that's kinda the point.

It isn't just a small issue tacked on though. The proposals will have a significant impact on transport in the city. Should be obvious that the head of the council transport committee should be central. Unless there was a reason he was excluded

The fact that he is a complete gobsh!te could be reason enough to exclude him.

Did you not read the article? It's not vague. They held a meeting without some of the key elected individuals present. It was wrong. They apologised.

If you are suggesting they were having a casual chat over a pint you might have a point. However, if you read the article, it was a meeting bypassing procedure and cutting out Burke and others.

'vacuous political correctness' :):)

What procedure? Can you refer me to the terms of reference of Ministerial engagement that requires a jumped up councillor head of a nonentity committee to be present at that meeting?

P.S. Don't think the Minister apologised.

What procedure? Can you refer me to the terms of reference of Ministerial engagement that requires a jumped up councillor head of a nonentity committee to be present at that meeting?

P.S. Don't think the Minister apologised.

This FF style of side meetings and bypassing elected officials isn't acceptable. I know FG let standards slip, ('what standards?' i know, I know) so why not the Greens.

The procedural issue raised is as follows:
    Dublin City Council chief executive Owen Keegan has apologised for holding a meeting with Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan and two Green party councillors which was claimed took place in “secret”.

Mr Keegan was asked by several Independent councillors to explain why the meeting took place between officials and Government without the chair of the local authority’s transport committee.

Mr Keegan has apologised to Dublin Central Independent councillor Christy Burke, who is chairman of the Transportation Strategic Policy Committee (SPC), after he slammed last month’s meeting for contravening regulations and protocols.
    pro·ce·dure
    /prəˈsējər/

noun
    an established or official way of doing something.
    Green councillors Michael Pidgeon and Claire Byrne have also apologised to Mr Burke for not informing him of the meeting.

Eamo obviously hasn't the manners of the others.
    The meeting centred around proposed plans to ban taxis from several Dublin bus lanes and several other traffic issues such as an increase in clamping fees.

As I said, looks bogey. Greens got a pal looking for a contract? After all that's the quality of political party they travel with now.

If you see nothing inappropriate there, sure no worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

This FF style of side meetings and bypassing elected officials isn't acceptable. I know FG let standards slip, ('what standards?' i know, I know) so why not the Greens.
    But you're wrong, it's acceptable now . . . .because they're Greens. Or is it because they're now playing senior hurling? :rolleyes:
    As I said, looks bogey. Greens got a pal looking for a contract? After all that's the quality of political party they travel with now.
    See, that's what is concerning people. You can't whinge about the Galway Tent* on one hand, as the Greens used to do, and then set up your own grubby side meetings without people pointing out the obvious hypocrisy.
    Well hacks (or is that special advisers?) have to toe the party line. And try to persuade everyone else that there is absolutely nothing to see here.

By the by, how does all the above square with this article published on the Green party website calling for more accountability and transparency in local government?
    The Green Party today criticised Local Authorities and the Minister for Local Government for failing to move towards any meaningful reform, public accountability and participation in decision making processes.
    :rolleyes:

*And rightly so then, but it doesn't allow you to set up your own version.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wonder how many more times eamo will fall asleep at the wheel....

This green agenda is going to absolutely ruin people.

More traffic, less space, more restrictive and restrictions everywhere....

This covid blanket of bringing in measures that will never change, commute times will be the worst they ever were when life goes back.

The procedural issue raised is as follows:

Eamo obviously hasn't the manners of the others.

A simple enough question was what I asked.

What procedure did the Minister break? You have claimed on a number of occasions that he broke procedure. I am asking for a copy of the procedure so that we can verify your claim or declare it nonsense or something in-between.

If there is no procedure, just admit that, instead of going round in circles.

A simple enough question was what I asked.

What procedure did the Minister break? You have claimed on a number of occasions that he broke procedure. I am asking for a copy of the procedure so that we can verify your claim or declare it nonsense or something in-between.

If there is no procedure, just admit that, instead of going round in circles.

I have cited the article.
    The report states the meeting contravened regulations and protocols.
    If you want to read up on them feel free. If you believe the article incorrect and Cllr. Burke a liar, please show this. I have a news report, quotes and apologies. You have team loyalty and pedantry.

The issue is the meeting was held, this is accepted.

You've gone from denying it was any big deal to this. The next step is pulling a Keyser soze.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Would it not be up to the council members and employee present to be aware of and ensure council protocols were followed? Not the third party they're meeting with?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Would it not be up to the council members and employee present to be aware of and ensure council protocols were followed? Not the third party they're meeting with?

Yes. Everyone in attendance was aware though. That's why we got the apologies, (except Eamo, who I would expect figures if he was asleep he technically wasn't there). To paraphrase a comment from a pal, the real question is why they had the meeting in such a manner and what was the goal?

I have cited the article.
    The report states the meeting contravened regulations and protocols.
    If you want to read up on them feel free. If you believe the article incorrect and Cllr. Burke a liar, please show this. I have a news report, quotes and apologies. You have team loyalty and pedantry.

The issue is the meeting was held, this is accepted.

You've gone from denying it was any big deal to this. The next step is pulling a Keyser soze.

So no link to any protocol or procedure then? Just one big heap of misdirection. It wasn't and isn't any big deal.
    TheChizler wrote: »

We are still waiting to see what protocols were in place. To date it all seems like hubris and bruised ego from Councillor Burke, a nicer man you couldn't expect to meet on a winter's night in a dark alleyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wonder how many more times eamo will fall asleep at the wheel....

This green agenda is going to absolutely ruin people.

More traffic, less space, more restrictive and restrictions everywhere....

This covid blanket of bringing in measures that will never change, commute times will be the worst they ever were when life goes back.

Was he caught sleeping again?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Let's face it if Eamon Ryan came up with a cure for Covid-19, Cancer and the Common Cold tomorrow, Bowie and Rowsgrower would find some problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Simple question, anyone see his utterly baffling and incoherent Dail appearance today and does anyone actually think it wise for him to be leading questions, any questions. Just dreadful, I'm sure the TD'S asking questions were as equally baffled as to why he was actually there, just awful stuff and sadly it might have been better had he fallen asleep.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Simple question, anyone see his utterly baffling and incoherent Dail appearance today and does anyone actually think it wise for him to be leading questions, any questions. Just dreadful, I'm sure the TD'S asking questions were as equally baffled as to why he was actually there, just awful stuff and sadly it might have been better had he fallen asleep.

Came across as totally incompetent. Was a very strange performance. The green party made a serious mistake in keeping him on as leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Came across as totally incompetent. Was a very strange performance. The green party made a serious mistake in keeping him on as leader.

Yes strange is another word, his colleague also looked very out of sorts at the press conference earlier, she has a look that could kill while learing at Michael Martin speaking to the Mike, with Leo's continuing solo run, this government not going to survive, its a train wreck.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

People with no other troubles in life such as public transport, jobs, money, lifestyle, vote for the Green Party. Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Was he caught sleeping again?

No. SF put out an 11 second heavily edited clip which shows him looking like he's sleeping. There's a wider shot a few seconds later from Oireachtas TV that shows he's actually on his phone or tablet. Pure clickbait and a lie, but it's trending on Twitter, SF aren't denying it, it'll make Ryan look bad and that's all they care about.

I'm not a fan of Eamon Ryan's, but this crap of heavily editing video footage is rooting itself in Irish politics and I like that even less.

https://twitter.com/ClareWithTheHai/status/1301269744566308882

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Let's face it if Eamon Ryan came up with a cure for Covid-19, Cancer and the Common Cold tomorrow, Bowie and Rowsgrower would find some problem with it.

And why does my opinion matter to you so much so that you have to fantasize about it?

Eamon is out of his depth as a leading member of government, that's a fact.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

So no link to any protocol or procedure then? Just one big heap of misdirection. It wasn't and isn't any big deal.

We are still waiting to see what protocols were in place. To date it all seems like hubris and bruised ego from Councillor Burke, a nicer man you couldn't expect to meet on a winter's night in a dark alleyway.

The article cites they were not followed. You go looking up what ones if you like.
    We know they were there, we know they weren't followed, we know there were apologises.
    If you don't see any issue thats cula bula.

You are trying to change the issue.
    A meeting was held, people were excluded. Apologies were made.
    Greens engaging in FF style politics.

And why does my opinion matter to you so much so that you have to fantasize about it?

Eamon is out of his depth as a leading member of government, that's a fact.

Your opinion doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

Your opinion doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

Post no. 800 would suggest differently.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Post no. 800 would suggest differently.

No, it just amuses me that you and Bowie seem to have nothing else to do but ridicule the Greens and thank each others posts.

• Advertisement

No, it just amuses me that you and Bowie seem to have nothing else to do but ridicule the Greens and thank each others posts.

I can honestly tell you I have never noticed the usernames of either yourself or Bowie before your post this evening.

Eamon is ridiculous and I’m sure we are not the only 2 posters on this forum to notice this.

You’re obviously a big fan of Eamon, don’t be upset that not everyone agrees with you.

Advertisement