Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Going ok here as well. 4kgs meal and grass, around the 18.5 L 4.4bf and 4.14p. Will keep going at that as next week looks to be ok so will try and get thru as much heavy ground as possible while the going is good. Have split calves up so hopefully they can stay our till the start of Dec anyway. In calf heifers were put in the top of silage field to give them another week out instead of walking the cow's up there, they'll be housed once finished that.
    Fcuking dogs chased em thru wire and they ended up with the cow's this morning. Had some job gathering and then separating them and they pulled every wire in that half of the farm down with them. Fit to fecking explode all morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Looks like they've found the source of the banned substance in Glanbias feed.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1315294335999635457?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

degetme wrote: »
    How do some lads get away with zero grazing and others get neospora out of it then. Do you know your herd profile for neospora

Yes I do very little of it (z grading)tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Looks like they've found the source of the banned substance in Glanbias feed.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1315294335999635457?s=19

That's why I couldn't get the mineral licks so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Good prog on BBC 4 now lads I'm not a Milker but tis good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Did up the tally on the fert useage this year.

In dero.

All forage made and fertilized on farm. No forage bought.
    110.5 units of N used per acre.
    I probably could have dropped it a bit further only there was urea left in the yard and I spread it before the cut off date.

Good year and all that but there's room for more improvement imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What sr and meal fed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mooooo wrote: »
    What sr and meal fed?

I'm just barely in derogation.
    Meal I don't know still feeding but heavy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

If the country went to level 4 or 5 would the dvo call off / pospone a continuous 4 month t b test I'm only tested because of a neighbour failing .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

If the country went to level 4 or 5 would the dvo call off / pospone a continuous 4 month t b test I'm only tested because of a neighbour failing .

You will be locked up and given a month to get test completed

• Advertisement

Didnt testing go ahead when we were in lockdown in the spring

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

whelan2 wrote: »

Can't recall exactly but I'm sure TB testing would be seen as an essential service for food production?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Can't recall exactly but I'm sure TB testing would be seen as an essential service for food production?

As far as I know you were given 13 months to do ur annual herd test not sure what was the story with continuous herd test
    I have someone with serious health issues in my house and not too happy to spend two days with my vet 1 foot apart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

As far as I know you were given 13 months to do ur annual herd test not sure what was the story with continuous herd test
    I have someone with serious health issues in my house and not too happy to spend two days with my vet 1 foot apart

Just asking...why would you have to be within 1 foot of your vet during testing? I could imagine it if we had to hold tails for blooding, but surely TB testing is just about moving animals through the crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Yes, we had our annual herd test early May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

some shed going up in Greenfield farm kilkenny... picture in todays farming Indo... bet ya that pic wont b in the IFJ on thurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭cosatron

some shed going up in Greenfield farm kilkenny... picture in todays farming Indo... bet ya that pic wont b in the IFJ on thurs!

some shed alright. can be read on the farming independent website, no paywall. allot sheds going up around the country. Milk market will get very volatile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭jaymla627

cosatron wrote: »
    some shed alright. can be read on the farming independent website, no paywall. allot sheds going up around the country. Milk market will get very volatile

In all fairness their isn't any business you could be investing in at the minute that isn't volatile with covid, what state are the finances of hotels and pub owners countrywide at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

Did I hear something about getting paid 5 euro per calf to weigh them next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

straight wrote: »
    Did I hear something about getting paid 5 euro per calf to weigh them next year?

There's a five million euro scheme for beef farmers who rear dairy calves to weigh calves, don't know how much per calf it is.
    Edit. Looks like Dairy farmers who rear calves would be eligible also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Grueller

Folks does anyone here use a reusable milking glove. I am thinking something that you wash your hands maybe when finished with the glove on. Any recommendations for a particular type or brand?
    I am sick to death of putting my hands through the disposable ones trying to get them on. I have tried all sizes and brands and putting talcum powder in them. Still tearing them in ribbons getting them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thisyear

Grueller wrote: »
    Folks does anyone here use a reusable milking glove. I am thinking something that you wash your hands maybe when finished with the glove on. Any recommendations for a particular type or brand?
    I am sick to death of putting my hands through the disposable ones trying to get them on. I have tried all sizes and brands and putting talcum powder in them. Still tearing them in ribbons getting them on.

I use something like these instead. The ones from the coop are rubbish

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gocableties-Gripster-Skins-Nitrile-Disposable/dp/B07CS5MMFV/ref=asc_df_B07CS5MMFV/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=214554455892&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11652882945556394311&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-464610276139&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

If they only tear when putting them on try putting talc on your hands and they will go on much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I buy these for OH for winter work. They are thicker/stronger than the orange gripster ones that mechanics use. He get several wearings out of them before they tear. They are longer too and go up your arm a bit.

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/pro-tect-gloves-10-boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

I use the black milkers gloves. Usually get about a week per glove I'd say. I just wear a glove on the hand I use to strip the milk. There's practically no such thing as disposable here apart from toilet roll. Sounds like your buying your gloves too small. I bought cheap small gloves before and they were useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Something to keep in mind if your in derogation and hoping to apply for LESS in TAMS in the near future, derogation farmers won't be allowed to apply after April next year for LESS spreaders. You have 2 tranches left to apply in before being locked out for that portion of it.

You cannot apply for TAMS for compulsory measures so bear that in mind if it's on your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Nope, like the feel of the cows on my hands. Any high cell count ones I'd usually just teat spray my hands after. Not best practice but sur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Nope, like the feel of the cows on my hands. Any high cell count ones I'd usually just teat spray my hands after. Not best practice but sur.

Once you get used to gloves you couldn't milk without them

• Advertisement

I wear the black disposable ones from glanbia . Find them good and a good fit

Advertisement