Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electricity supplier

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I just got another €200 credit from EI for renewing with them for another 12 months... (Gas & Electricity), €100 instantly credited to each account.

I did the same last year, but they put the full €200 on my Electric account.

I also receive an 8.5% discount on the kW rates on both accounts for online billing & direct debit.

Day Rate: €0.1871 (€0.1712 after 8.5% discount)
    Night Rate: €0.0924 (€0.0845 after 8.5% discount)

€100 credit on the Electric account equates to 1,183kWh of free bonus (night rate) electricity or 8,453km of driving at my car's average consumption rate.

That'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I just got another €200 credit from EI for renewing with them for another 12 months... (Gas & Electricity), €100 instantly credited to each account.

I also receive an 8.5% discount on the kW rates on both accounts for online billing & direct debit.

€100 credit on the Electric account equates to 1,183kWh of free bonus (night rate) electricity or 8,453km of driving at my car's average consumption rate.

That'll do.

Wouldn't work for me, I think I've just about got a power plant dedicated to me, with the Heat Pump and the Leaf, everything is electric.

Currently I'm using around 8,500kWh per year, if I can persuade the missus to take the Leaf when my ID.4 arrives that'll go up to around 10,500kWh per year :eek:

I'm hoping when Energia ask me to renew I'll be able to get a decent discount, otherwise it'll be switcheroo time

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

That'll do.

I just switched to Energia as of yesterday in preparation of getting my model 3 in the next few weeks. It's still cheaper than my current provider regardless!

Day Rate: 14.22c/kWh
    Night Rate: 6.83c/kWh

Ive got everything running off the electric as we have a heatpump here, and soon a Tesla. Think this is the cheapest out there!

My total usage since getting the day/night meter installed around 11 months ago is 2,480kWh Day & 4,174kWh Night (since getting the day/night meter, all washing machine & dishwasher washes take place on night rate now).

so on my rates that adds up to €816.70 total
    on the Energia rates it works out at €637.73 total

the actual cost to me however was €616.70 (minus the €200 bonus they gave me last year for signing on for 12 months), so fairly similar to the energy rates (based on my usage of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

With BG and contacted them to say I was considering moving supplier.
    They gave me 25% discount off both day and night rates for next 12 month's.

Worth the email.

• Advertisement

It’s always worth ringing or emailing companies to see what they can offer you....

(OT but I called my bank once and told them I wanted a better variable rate on my mortgage as I considered myself a good customer because I overpay around 140% a month, and if they didn’t give me anything g I was off to a competitor, and within a day they knocked .5% of my rate, which is .5% below their lowest published variable rate)

If you don’t ask you don’t get....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

KCross wrote: »
    There are. Bonkers.ie is your friend.

Check Airtricity, Energia and BEenergy. They should all be cheaper than that.

? I havent seen anyone on here say they've bettered

13.59c/Kwh Day
    6.73c/Kwh Night

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

celtic_oz wrote: »
    ? I havent seen anyone on here say they've bettered

13.59c/Kwh Day
    6.73c/Kwh Night

You’ve quoted your ex vat price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

My total usage since getting the day/night meter installed around 11 months ago is 2,480kWh Day & 4,174kWh Night (since getting the day/night meter, all washing machine & dishwasher washes take place on night rate now).
    Funny that! I got a D/N meter almost 11 months ago too. My meter is at 1672 Day & 1825 Night. But I only got the EV in Sep and since then we've been in lockdown for more than half the time so only driven 800km. I also have a 4.8kW solar PV so that reduces the day usage.

We got the EV in March and have done 19,000km in it, and used 2,816 kWh (around 400kWh was not home charging).

We're both home based so getting Solar PV would be a help...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I signed up for the energia deal with bonkers, I've just got debited €100, haven't received the first bill yet does anyone know what's that about..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I signed up for the energia deal with bonkers, I've just got debited €100, haven't received the first bill yet does anyone know what's that about..

Did you sign up for level pay? You pay a fixed amount every month rather than the full bill.

JPA wrote: »
    Did you sign up for level pay? You pay a fixed amount every month rather than the full bill.

Not that I know of just signed up for the deal on the bonkers site, how does that level pay work, my bills are usually around €300

Not that I know of just signed up for the deal on the bonkers site, how does that level pay work, my bills are usually around €300

Generally speaking if you went with the cheapest on bonker.ie that includes level pay

Suppliers prefer level pay as it gives them a fixed income rather than waiting to see how demand drives higher bills

Cheers got an email there now to say welcome to level pay...took advantage of the half price offer for the TP Link Smart Plug with monitor for €22.50 might be handy for finding the big energy draws around the house..

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

So is it a given that a night saver meter is required when buying an EV?

Aph2016 wrote: »

It would make a whole lot of sense....

'They' say, to make it worthwhile, at least 33.3% of your daily usage should be on the night rate... I had my day/night meter about 2 weeks before getting the EV, and I had it at around 40+% usage on the night rate (by simply running the dishwashers & washing machine on the cheaper rate).

Almost 11 months on, and my usage is around 65% at night, 35% during the day, so it's been extremely worth it for me.... (despite lockdown and both of us being home based, we've still clocked over 20,000km in the EV since getting it) .

Edit: Just read my meter there, and since getting it, 62.75% of total consumption has been on the night rate...

Aph2016 wrote: »

It's not required, you're likely to save money even at the day rate. If you're a low mileage user the it probably doesn't make a huge difference

However let's put it this way, if you could get petrol half price would you go for it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's two of us working at home since March, and we're not using the two cars for commutes due to lock down, we're still managing a 55% split on night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Tough times for Texans...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/2021/02/20/griddy-customers-face-5000-bills-for-5-freezing-days-in-texas

Imagine charging your long range EV with those prices.... $9/kWh.

• Advertisement

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/2021/02/20/griddy-customers-face-5000-bills-for-5-freezing-days-in-texas

Makes Ionity look cheap

I think those plans only make sense if you have a method of storing energy, I'd be looking at getting an inverter to get power from an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

It's the price of Freedom man!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

SSE Airtiricty raising prices in April

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0225/1199450-electricity-smart-meters-go-live-for-250-000-households/

Smart meter plans going live, at least with Electric Ireland. Vague details of what sounds like the existing night rate hours, and a 2am-4am rate too (just over 5c/kWh).

Home electric+ Night booster is the plan.
    Including vat, the rates are... ****e:

Day rate 20.94 c/kWh
    Night rate 10.78 c/kWh
    2 hours of "boost" rate 2-4am 5.82 c/kWh

Urban standing charge €235.14
    Rural standing charge €295.83

€265 welcome bonus

They do have a Home electric+ weekender package too. Basically, Free electricity on the weekend.

Day rate: 20.63 c/kWh
    Night rate: 20.63 c/kWh
    Sat/Sun: Free 0c/kWh

Urban standing charge: €173.25
    Rural standing charge: €228.56

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Even on their normal tarrifs they have a huge welcome bonus.

I'd rather just have lower rates.

If you didn't have solar, the weekend one could be interesting.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

graememk wrote: »
    Even on their normal tarrifs they have a huge welcome bonus.

I'd rather just have lower rates.

If you didn't have solar, the weekend one could be interesting.

I don't have solar, but it'd be a decent effort to fully utilise weekends. Charge the car fully, but then you can't go anywhere. Do all your laundry, but then you can't really go anywhere, and for us certainly we have laundry several times a week.

The extra 5c or so for day usage would really add up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

How long before Unkel builds a massive storage battery that he fills from the grid over the weekend?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

liamog wrote: »
    How long before Unkel builds a massive storage battery that he fills from the grid over the weekend?

Im doing my monthly stats atm. so i have some stats handy,

Last week, Charged the car twice, Been charging my batteries at night too, I have bought from the grid, 206kwh night, and 11 kwh day. and generated 103kwh of solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

liamog wrote: »

Pumped hydro is just the ticket for this - a handy 50,000 litre water tank up in the attic...........weekend free pumping should generate enough free leccy for the weekdays :D.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    Pumped hydro is just the ticket for this - a handy 50,000 litre water tank up in the attic...........weekend free pumping should generate enough free leccy for the weekdays :D.

And when the FIT comes in he'll make a profit off selling it back to the grid :D

Advertisement