Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electricity supplier

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I use, cheers covid, about 4400kWh a year.

Mileage is low anyways, but Having bought the car in 2019 (with some free charging to be fair) I've used 2k kWh at home. 100kWh a month wouldn't be far off things, so 1200kWh annually. Let's say 2/3 of that could be done at the weekend. 800kWh.

I've been using maybe 700kWh on laundry (about 2/3 of which is night rate). I'd guess half that could be done at the weekend. We've a few washes and dries a week here as is. 350kWh.

Dishwasher twice a week at 1kWh a go. All night rate runs. Half on the weekend is 50kWh.

Running total of 1300kWh I could switch to weekends. Not sure what our "other" amounts to to get 2/7 of it, but I'd imagine 900 kWh for misc on an average weekend. 2100kWh for the year so, free!

Leaving 2300kWh at ~21c/kWh. That's under €500 + standing order and PSO levy for the year. Doesn't seem worth it to me. Our electricity for the last 2 years has been around €700 per annum.

With a bigger battery car, capable of 1 big charge a week, but you're only saving ~8c/kWh switching your night rate things to the weekend. If you've a fish tank or an energy hungry home/weekend home hobby that'd make a dent.

Either way, I don't have a smart meter, but It'd certainly be interesting to see usage patterns if they can make your own usage metrics available

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I worked out a few weeks ago that on average, I was using around 7.5kWh per day... so let’s say for argumysake I’d need 35-40kWh to run the house Monday - Friday....

3 Tesla Power Walls would give me ~39kWh of storage.....

In terms of cycling the batteries, they’d each only see around 52 cycles per year, so they should last long.....

Tempting....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Doesn't seem worth it to me.

At those rates, it won't be worth it for anyone.

But, smart meters will be marketed as "money saving" & non smart metered customers will just have to pay more, to facilitate that.
    What are they costing again? €500 each?

That's gonna mean €1 billion, or more, needs to be recouped, ultimately, from customers.

Most EVs need most of the current, 8 hour overnight rate to fully charge. Charging slightly less for 2-4am is meaningless, especially when charging more for the remaining hours.

We'll just end up with 1000s of more tariffs & confusion, ultimately paying more.

I worked out a few weeks ago that on average, I was using around 7.5kWh per day... so let’s say for argumysake I’d need 35-40kWh to run the house Monday - Friday....

Tempting....

You'd pay €30,000+ for battery storage, to save €300 per year?
    100 years+ payback - will they last that long?

:P.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The prices are on par with EI standard unit rates.

The only way they compete with the others is by offering a big cash back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Kramer wrote: »

Could get 48kWh of storage for €20k

Only 66 years payback now ;)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’d be more thinking in a few years a 2nd hand/scrap EV with a decent sized battery in it..

I’d be more thinking in a few years a 2nd hand/scrap EV with a decent sized battery in it..

Hopefully the ioniq 5 sets the standard and v2l becomes common on EVs in future

Then you don't need a scrap EV, just an excuse to treat yourself to a new one :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In terms of cycling the batteries, they’d each only see around 52 cycles per year, so they should last long.....

Tempting....

The ESB won’t allow Powerwalls to be grid tied so never going to happen in any case, hence not available in Ireland

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    The ESB won’t allow Powerwalls to be grid tied so never going to happen in any case, hence not available in Ireland

I thought they're okay if there's anti islanding systems installed to cut the battery from the grid in the even of a power outage?

• Advertisement

AFAIK even with this the Powerwalls don't satisfy ESB requirements, could be totally wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Yup these rates (and BGs) are absolutely utter crap. I have 14c/kWh currently with BG standard so ill stick with that.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0225/1199450-electricity-smart-meters-go-live-for-250-000-households/

Smart meter plans going live, at least with Electric Ireland. Vague details of what sounds like the existing night rate hours, and a 2am-4am rate too (just over 5c/kWh).

Home electric+ Night booster is the plan.
    Including vat, the rates are... ****e:

Day rate 20.94 c/kWh
    Night rate 10.78 c/kWh
    2 hours of "boost" rate 2-4am 5.82 c/kWh

Urban standing charge €235.14
    Rural standing charge €295.83

€265 welcome bonus

They do have a Home electric+ weekender package too. Basically, Free electricity on the weekend.

Day rate: 20.63 c/kWh
    Night rate: 20.63 c/kWh
    Sat/Sun: Free 0c/kWh

Urban standing charge: €173.25
    Rural standing charge: €228.56

I wonder how bonkers.ie will handle the new smart meters, the usual breakdown of how much you use at night doesn't really apply with multiple rates

Maybe your supplier will save your usage data for a year in some easy to download format which you can then send to a price comparision website

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

AFAIK even with this the Powerwalls don't satisfy ESB requirements, could be totally wrong

They allow batteries for solar installations, is there something specific about the powerwall that prevents their use, or is it just a sign off hoop that Tesla haven't got round to?

Shameful, Energia's EV rates are 16.64c day and 4.79c night inc VAT

liamog wrote: »
    They allow batteries for solar installations, is there something specific about the powerwall that prevents their use, or is it just a sign off hoop that Tesla haven't got round to?

From stuff in the back of my head I thought it was their 7kWh peak output that nailed them in Ireland.
    This is largely academic though, I can't see much uptake here

From stuff in the back of my head I thought it was their 7kWh peak output that nailed them in Ireland.
    This is largely academic though, I can't see much uptake here

I saw a video from when Robert from Fully Charged got a powerwall 2 installed. He got this hub thingy from Tesla which is basically a fancy anti-islanding system which allows the powerwall to supply the house in a power cut

I know the requirements from the ESB are different and I've no idea if the powerwall 2 matches these requirements

Don't see the attraction of the powerwall tbh, solar batteries can be sourced cheaper and there doesn't seem to be any advantage to the powerwall other than the Tesla badge on the front

I wonder how bonkers.ie will handle the new smart meters, the usual breakdown of how much you use at night doesn't really apply with multiple rates

Maybe your supplier will save your usage data for a year in some easy to download format which you can then send to a price comparision website
    We'll just end up with 1000s of more tariffs & confusion, ultimately paying more.

Rates will creep up for the majority & it'll just become more confusing for the smarter bears, who switch every year :(.

Rates will creep up for the majority & it'll just become more confusing for the smarter bears, who switch every year :(.

I feel like most people will stick with a day/night tariff for simplicity. For anyone willing to go into the details then energy monitoring and moving energy intensive tasks around will become important

I reckon there's going to be a whole generation of smart energy controller products coming out in the next few years which will be aware of energy tariffs and will control consumers to optimise consumption as much as possible.

We've already got washing machines, dishwasher, EVs and heat pumps that can be controlled remotely, so it's just a matter of tying it into an automation framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

I switch every year and looking at the smart meter tariffs this morning was a complete head wrecker. Some smart people (not me) will do a google spread sheet where you can just pope in your usage and out pops the best tariff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Shameful, Energia's EV rates are 16.64c day and 4.79c night inc VAT

Is there an EV specific price plan or something? Looking at Bonkers.ie the Energia seems the best but is at a 14.22 cent per kWh (day rate) and 6.82 cent per kWh (night rate). Currently am on SEE which is 18.64c day and 9.23c night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

I changed from Energia to Bord Gais today on bonkers. And I did a spreadsheet with last years usage, checked against the numbers bonkers gave me.

Energia were slightly more expensive on day rate and slightly cheaper for night rate:

Day 13.81
    Night 6.62

Vs

Day 13.68
    Night 6.78

There was less than €2 in the difference over a year (based off my usage of 5886 kWh day/3491 kWh night)

For gas it was a different story: 3:63 vs 3.18.

All in, Bord Gais were almost €140 cheaper over the full year.

stimpson wrote: »
    I changed from Energia to Bord Gais today on bonkers. And I did a spreadsheet with last years usage, checked against the numbers bonkers gave me.

Energia were slightly more expensive on day rate and slightly cheaper for night rate:

Day 13.81
    Night 6.62

Vs

Day 13.68
    Night 6.78

There was less than €2 in the difference over a year (based off my usage of 5886 kWh day/3491 kWh night)

For gas it was a different story: 3:63 vs 3.18.

All in, Bord Gais were almost €140 cheaper over the full year.

you might get a call from energia trying to make you stay with a cashback offer.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

graememk wrote: »
    you might get a call from energia trying to make you stay with a cashback offer.

I never get calls, and not bothered about them. I've the effort of moving done at that stage and I've not heard of anyone getting a better rate than what is it there by switching. So if my current company can give me a sneaky rate over the phone, screw them, I've already left in my mind.

Is there an EV specific price plan or something? Looking at Bonkers.ie the Energia seems the best but is at a 14.22 cent per kWh (day rate) and 6.82 cent per kWh (night rate). Currently am on SEE which is 18.64c day and 9.23c night

Yes there is an EV plan, you must have a home Chargepoint installed. It’s new so probably not on Bonkers yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

graememk wrote: »

I rang them twice and pressed them for a better deal but they wouldn’t budge. It’s a pity as I liked the features on the website and found their customer service to be pretty good.

Yes there is an EV plan, you must have a home Chargepoint installed. It’s new so probably not on Bonkers yet.

Yeah it's not on bonkers.
    They can't prove you don't have an ev charger. So that's just a paper excercise...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,234 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I did a quick break even analysis between the best energia rates and their new EV rates mentioned in the above few posts. If you use a bit more than 50% of all your units in the night rate period of 9 hours, then you will be better off with the EV rate.

Obviously for some of us with batteries and 70, 80, 90, even almost 100% of units used at night rate, this new EV rate represents a significant saving (and a faster pay back time of the battery than previously foreseen). I'm looking forward to variable rates of electricity between minus €0.02 and plus €1.00 or so per kWh to reflect the real cost of the electricity that we use, so that we get maximum carrot for using electricity when it is plentiful and fully renewable and that we get maximum stick for when gas / coal are being burnt

I only recently switched to Energia, might give them a call today see if they can migrate me over (without penalty), I'll get back here with an update

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Currently have the Bord Gais -28% offer so works out at approx 13.68 day & 6.77 night which runs out next month.

I'm tempted by the Energia EV plan but am reluctant to change as use Tesco vouchers against my Bord Gais bill.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,234 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jspuds wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

Do the maths. What discount do those Tesco vouchers give you per year (as in extra discount over alternative use like getting a discount in store). And what savings would you make on that cheaper night rate with the Energia EV scheme? Compare those two.

Advertisement