Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electricity supplier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

jspuds wrote: »
    Currently have the Bord Gais -28% offer so works out at approx 13.68 day & 6.77 night which runs out next month.

I'm tempted by the Energia EV plan but am reluctant to change as use Tesco vouchers against my Bord Gais bill.

Any suggestions?

Check bonkers.ie or another comparison website, put in your consumption and see what your annual bill is

If that bill is less than your BG bill after using the Tesco vouchers, then it's worth it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

unkel wrote: »
    I did a quick break even analysis between the best energia rates and their new EV rates mentioned in the above few posts. If you use a bit more than 50% of all your units in the night rate period of 9 hours, then you will be better off with the EV rate.

Obviously for some of us with batteries and 70, 80, 90, even almost 100% of units used at night rate, this new EV rate represents a significant saving (and a faster pay back time of the battery than previously foreseen). I'm looking forward to variable rates of electricity between minus €0.02 and plus €1.00 or so per kWh to reflect the real cost of the electricity that we use, so that we get maximum carrot for using electricity when it is plentiful and fully renewable and that we get maximum stick for when gas / coal are being burnt

I only recently switched to Energia, might give them a call today see if they can migrate me over (without penalty), I'll get back here with an update

Show us your calculations. When I did the same for 2000 day and 3000 night consumption I got the EV rate coming in as 22E more expensive. Did you take the 35 euro cashback into account? That is not available on the EV plan as per the Energia website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

I just had a call from Energia with a better offer. I plugged the new numbers into my spreadsheet and it was still higher than Bord Gais. The lad on the phone then went off to talk to his manager and came back with a new set of rates, which come in €50 cheaper than the Bord Gais offer. Happy days! I've cancelled Bord Gais and am staying with Energia!

It's always good to keep them on their toes!

stimpson wrote: »
    I just had a call from Energia with a better offer. I plugged the new numbers into my spreadsheet and it was still higher than Bord Gais. The lad on the phone then went off to talk to his manager and came back with a new set of rates, which come in €50 cheaper than the Bord Gais offer. Happy days! I've cancelled Bord Gais and am staying with Energia!

It's always good to keep them on their toes!

Nice one, just goes to show how much flexibility they have with prices

Did you go for the EV plan or basic day/night?

Mind if we ask what rate you got in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Nice one, just goes to show how much flexibility they have with prices

Did you go for the EV plan or basic day/night?

Mind if we ask what rate you got in the end?

It's the standard day/night plan. I have a PHEV so my split is about 60/40 day/night so not worth it to go on the EV plan.

The old vs new vs BG rates are below - might be easier to paste them into a spreadsheet.

energia old ex VAT inc VAT
    energia day rate 21.24 24.1074
    energia night rate 10.19 11.56565
    energia gas rate 4.71 5.34585
    Standing 301.44 342.1344

Energia New ex VAT inc VAT
    energia day rate 13.17 14.94795
    energia night rate 6.32 7.1732
    energia gas rate 3.41 3.87035
    Standing 301.44 342.1344

Bord Gáis Energy ex VAT inc VAT
    day 13.68 15.5268
    night 6.78 7.6953
    gas 3.41 3.87035
    standing 282 320.07

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I signed up to Energia's EV plan. Like someone said they require you to have a chargepoint but verbal confirmation was sufficient. For me we have a heat pump running at night and now the occasional charge at night on the car so it makes sense. Night rate is 4.79c
    Date rate is 16.64c

• Registered Users Posts: 13,764 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I signed up to Energia's EV plan. Like someone said they require you to have a chargepoint but verbal confirmation was sufficient. For me we have a heat pump running at night and now the occasional charge at night on the car so it makes sense. Night rate is 4.79c
    Date rate is 16.64c

Have you a link to this plan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

JPA wrote: »
    Have you a link to this plan?

https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/ev

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Bear in mind you have to sign up via phone for this particular plan

Bear in mind you have to sign up via phone for this particular plan

I am already with energia, would there be any issue changing plan?

Also what is the difference between Day\Night and Nightsaver meter?

• Advertisement

I am already with energia, would there be any issue changing plan?

Also what is the difference between Day\Night and Nightsaver meter?

I tried that last year, energia brought out a cheaper plan just after I'd signed up again :rolleyes:

They said because I'd signed up for 12 months I wasn't able to switch. The difference to me was around €15 for the year so I didn't bother kicking up a fuss, but if I had then maybe they'd have switched me over

I tried that last year, energia brought out a cheaper plan just after I'd signed up again :rolleyes:

They said because I'd signed up for 12 months I wasn't able to switch. The difference to me was around €15 for the year so I didn't bother kicking up a fuss, but if I had then maybe they'd have switched me over

Well they're getting you into a new contract so it should be in their interest.

Well they're getting you into a new contract so it should be in their interest.

That's what I thought, I'd be signing up for 13 months instead of 12 as I was 1 month into the contract when I asked to switch

But they still said no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,361 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Can't help but notice all the smart meter plans have significantly higher night rates than a simple day/night meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,238 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I only recently switched to Energia, might give them a call today see if they can migrate me over (without penalty), I'll get back here with an update

Just off the phone to Energia and they have switched me to a new contract starting today, on the EV plan. No penalties for switching for anyone already on an Energia contract.

Day rate 16.64c (was 14.22c) and night rate 4.79c (was 6.82c) all rates including VAT. Standing charges stay the same

This means that this plan will only save you money if at least 55% of your electricity units are used at night. With 8MWh consumption per year, 60% will save you €20, 75% willl save you €75 and 95% will save you nearly €150

And of course night electricity is much better for the environment as a vastly higher percentage of it is from renewables

If you have a battery, or plan to buy one, this plan will accelerate its pay back period.

Did you get to keep your 35 Euro cashback?

I didn't get any cash back when I signed up for this plan some time late last year. But I got the impression you get to switch without any penalties if you so wished. A new contract starts on the day you switch and you have 14 days to change your mind and go back to your old plan.

Ah ok. But for those people who are about to sign up, check about the 35/40 euro cashback because that tilts it away from the EV plan. I'm with Energia and coming up for renewal in a couple of weeks.

There are interesting plans now with a huge cash back up front but then a ludicrously high day rate. Might suit someone with a large solar array and a large battery - someone like that with a bit of consideration from the whole family could run >90% on night rate. Much better for the planet too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Agreed, in a perverse sort of way the smart meter/FIT is actually justifying a battery setup which is a bit contradictory

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I know this slightly goes off topic but when y'all write about the battery do you mean storing power consumed at night for subsequent distribution to the house during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,361 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I know this slightly goes off topic but when y'all write about the battery do you mean storing power consumed at night for subsequent distribution to the house during the day?
    Nope, electric car charging

• Registered Users Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭ted1

zell12 wrote: »

electric Ireland also doing similar. With the smart meters infrastructure just gone live you'll start to see lots of new plans from different providors.

https://www.electricireland.ie/smart-meters/home-electric-plus

Choose the right Home Electric+ plan for you
    Home Electric+ helps you to better understand your energy usage, use less electricity and save money
    Home Electric+ Night Boost offers a cheaper electricity rate at night when you can charge your electric vehicle (EV) (11p.m.-8a.m.) and a super cheap “boost” period from 2-4 a.m, for just over 5c per kwh
    Home Electric+ Weekender offers free electricity on Saturday or Sunday
    Home Electric+ Standard Smart Tariff (SST) offers day/night/peak rates, flexibility to suit your schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have night <7c unit, Day <15c unit with Energia.

I dont think the consumer is going to win with smart meter tariffs. It will end up as confusing as mobile phone and health insurance plans.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes, a fully charged battery (charged up on the cheap night rate), can be used during the day to run the house, so you're not paying for more expensive daytime electricity...

Doing this though means you are cycling the battery every day, and batteries only have a finite number of times they can be cycled before degrading, and becoming less optimal. So the cost benefit of only using night rate electricity would need to be stacked up against teh cost of a battery (and probably a replacement a number of years later).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Just off the phone to Energia and they have switched me to a new contract starting today, on the EV plan. No penalties for switching for anyone already on an Energia contract.

Day rate 16.64c (was 14.22c) and night rate 4.79c (was 6.82c) all rates including VAT. Standing charges stay the same

This means that this plan will only save you money if at least 55% of your electricity units are used at night. With 8MWh consumption per year, 60% will save you €20, 75% willl save you €75 and 95% will save you nearly €150

And of course night electricity is much better for the environment as a vastly higher percentage of it is from renewables

If you have a battery, or plan to buy one, this plan will accelerate its pay back period.

Does that new one expire after a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I dont think the consumer is going to win with smart meter tariffs. It will end up as confusing as mobile phone and health insurance plans.

+1

It will probably be worse actually.

They will make these plans as obscure as they can so that those who cant/wont do the math will end up just taking the wrong plan for them or just sticking with their current provider.

If you can do the math you can get good deals.

Adding in a Solar feed-in-tariff later this year will just further obfuscate the whole thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

KCross wrote: »
    Adding in a Solar feed-in-tariff later this year will just further obfuscate the whole thing.

I can see it now, telling the virtuous of how much they are saving from the overpriced solar install especially with the new FIT but not noticing they are being screwed on the other side of the tariff.

There is good solar install deals out there, you just have to find them!

• Advertisement

I'm with Bord Gais and tried getting a night rate meter but they have suspended them until level 5 is over. Saw these new smart rates and thought great I can get a smart night tariff as I have a smart meter installed. Unfortunately, the rates are so high it still makes sense to remove my smart meter and get a night meter. What a waste.

Advertisement