Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I dont know how many times Ive seen him claim that they have done the most tests in the world, 25 million he says. While that might be true its a useless stat in itself unless you compare on a per capita basis. Its hard to believe the media let him repeat this claim time and time again but never report on how its really numerical trickery. Has anyone seen a per capita comparison and where are the US on it?

Per capita what? There are a lot of per capitas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

briany wrote: »
    Has there been a POTUS since the American Civil War who has been as wilfully inflammatory as Trump, or more so, even?

Nope. Maybe some were as selfishly focused as he was but they didn't have the weapon of a Twitter account in their hand through which to broadcast their message.

Irrespective of what comes next, his name/image will forever be associated with the office of the President of the United States and its standing is cheapened by this fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

duploelabs wrote: »
    I dunno if you've been paying attention but Trump doesn't strike me as someone who'll accept defeat on himself :pac:

He’ll kick up a stink alright but he doesn’t strike me as someone who’ll put themself in harms way. When push comes to shove I can’t see him putting himself in a position where he’s taken out of anywhere by police or even military. My own feeling is he’ll make noise and maybe get his base riled up but ultimately nothing will happen beyond ranting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

salmocab wrote: »
    He’ll kick up a stink alright but he doesn’t strike me as someone who’ll put themself in harms way. When push comes to shove I can’t see him putting himself in a position where he’s taken out of anywhere by police or even military. My own feeling is he’ll make noise and maybe get his base riled up but ultimately nothing will happen beyond ranting.
    Unnamed cough co-conspiracy cough, there's plenty of reasons to try to stay somewhere where he doesn't get cuffed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yeah he won't put himself in harms way, but he will try rally his idiotic gun toting base to come defend the presidency from the liberals who have stolen the election.

Imagine the scenes if the American military are forced to fire upon their own citizens who have barricaded these outside the WH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    There is no doubt that they are already setting that up. Whether postal voting (on a large scale) goes ahead of not, they will claim no matter what that voter fraud tool place. And they will find some examples to 'prove' their point.

To hear a POTUS give a speech like he did - btw the delivery was possibly his worst yet - for 4th July celebrations is insane. Like St Patricks Day in Ireland, it is supposed to be time to celebrate the history, the achievements, and look to a brighter future. The usual schick about everybody being as one, blah blah.

Instead, Trump basically called almost half (according to the current polling) as looking to destroy the US, tear down everything it stands for.

It always amazes me that nearly every election in the US is dragged down to fighting for the 'heart and soul' of the country. The very future of the country being at stake. I don't see that hyperbole in other countries. Sure Labour/Tory or FG/SF are very different policital philosophies, but rarely do people claim that the very existance of the country is actually at stake.

A certain segment of the US seem to live in perpetual fear that at any given moment the whole country is simply going to collapse and die. I simly cannot understand how the most powerful country in the world has such a flimsy confidence in itself.

Fox News have spent the last 20+ years convincing their viewers that the cities are rat infested Communist hellholes over-run with gangs of rabid immigrants roaming the streets raping and pillaging their way through the last remaining god fearing Christians that still live there.

This constant fear mongering is what feeds the "Conservative" narrative.

It's why support for Trumps wall is highest in places that are nowhere near a border and have almost no immigrants.

If you aren't afraid all the time, why would you vote for the guys that claim they are there to protect you and your way of life??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah he won't put himself in harms way, but he will try rally his idiotic gun toting base to come defend the presidency from the liberals who have stolen the election.

Imagine the scenes if the American military are forced to fire upon their own citizens who have barricaded these outside the WH.

My point is though at that point he certainly won’t be inside the White House. I genuinely think he’ll make the noise but ultimately won’t want to risk himself getting any kind of physical harm. Like a lot of bullies I’d be fairly positive he’s lacking in physical courage.
    It’s all conjecture though he’s got to be got rid of first. Any kind of tight vote will lead to a hell of a noise I’d think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

My point is though at that point he certainly won’t be inside the White House. I genuinely think he’ll make the noise but ultimately won’t want to risk himself getting any kind of physical harm. Like a lot of bullies I’d be fairly positive he’s lacking in physical courage.
    It’s all conjecture though he’s got to be got rid of first. Any kind of tight vote will lead to a hell of a noise I’d think.

Like a lot of right-wing loudmouths over there in the States, Trump is likely all talk. Still, his words have the ability to rile up a lot of people both in the for and against columns. I could see Trump leading a protest on inauguration day but it may be from the back rather than the front, like a WW1 general directing a battle from a French chateau. He wouldn't risk harm to himself, but also it strikes me that he just wouldn't want to get among his own supporters in a close-up uncontrolled fashion. Too many of them would be the kind of blue-collar riff-raff he'd personally despise, for one thing, and Coronavirus is likely to still be around at that time. Too risky for the 74 year old germophobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I dont know how many times Ive seen him claim that they have done the most tests in the world, 25 million he says. While that might be true its a useless stat in itself unless you compare on a per capita basis. Its hard to believe the media let him repeat this claim time and time again but never report on how its really numerical trickery. Has anyone seen a per capita comparison and where are the US on it?
    Worldometer do a tests per million population and the US rank 26th globally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Maybe Trump has nothing to lose by going hard right. He's backed himself into a corner that makes it tough, if not impossible, to reach out to moderates. At least by reaching out to the base and keeping them on message, he will have a ready-made audience of 30 or 40 million for Trump TV when he loses the election.

Trump would not go quietly into the night. That much we know. He is called by some a 'street fighter' and a 'counter-puncher'. He has a tenacity that is highly admirable for a 74 year old when most 74 year olds are content to have the feet up. But he tends to channel this tenacity into being extraordinarily petty and concerned with his self-aggrandisement.

If you consider that Trump may have only run for president because of several quips Obama made about Trump in 2012, then you have to wonder at the ferocity of his reaction when he feels like he's been screwed out of a second term, even if it was in fact just due to collapsing Trump support?

Cam you just imagine the unhinged rantings on Trump TV during a Biden Presidency that is trying to fix the fallout from Covid, **** economy, massive division and all the other madness that has been the Trump years??? Jeez, it's gonna make Alex Jones actually sound rational and sane. .. and that's saying something. ...

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Cam you just imagine the unhinged rantings on Trump TV during a Biden Presidency that is trying to fix the fallout from Covid, **** economy, massive division and all the other madness that has been the Trump years??? Jeez, it's gonna make Alex Jones actually sound rational and sane. .. and that's saying something. ...

yeah, but like Jones, Trump could be sued if he goes down the slander/defamation route.

In the event that Trump TV really were created, I would expect that Fox News and One America News would be bricking themselves, as Trump TV would really distill the bigotry and ignorance of the American hard right down to its very essence and take over that whole viewership. No pretense of being balanced, just talking about 'telling it like it is', which is that America will be Communist in a decade under the direction of Biden and the globalist Democratic party should be banned as a terrorist organisation. They might even let Alex Jones have his own show.

If there's any suing to be had, it'll be against the network itself and Trump's personal liability will be kept strictly limited.

Has there been a POTUS since the American Civil War who has been as wilfully inflammatory as Trump, or more so, even?

Not an actual POTUS, but George Wallace, a 4-time Governor and regular would-be POTUS, comes to mind when I see Trump's hard-right pivot of late. Wallace was an odious segregationist Democratic politician who had few if any redeeming features. He was staunchly racist and tried his utmost to derail Democratic Civil Rights policies in the 1960s. If you were to imagine a regime that coupled Wallace racist politics with the histrionics of Joe Mc Carthy's anti-Communist purge, you'd see something like a Trump-46 Presidency, based on his last few months spiral into the politics of hate.

yeah, but like Jones, Trump could be sued if he goes down the slander/defamation route.

He could say anything he wants about a sitting President.. 1st Amendment, political opinion and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The scriptwriters really jumped the shark with Trump's former Aide Michael Flynn’s latest move

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-flynn-qanon-conspiracy-theory-independence-day-speech-slogan-a9602596.html

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    He could say anything he wants about a sitting President.. 1st Amendment, political opinion and all that...

Hes so stupid he wouldn't stick to that, his mouth is 5 seconds ahead of his brain so he would eventually say something that would get him sued.

In the event that Trump TV really were created, I would expect that Fox News and One America News would be bricking themselves, as Trump TV would really distill the bigotry and ignorance of the American hard right down to its very essence and take over that whole viewership. No pretense of being balanced, just talking about 'telling it like it is', which is that America will be Communist in a decade under the direction of Biden and the globalist Democratic party should be banned as a terrorist organisation. They might even let Alex Jones have his own show.

If there's any suing to be had, it'll be against the network itself and Trump's personal liability will be kept strictly limited.

OANN will become Trump TV. Trump can once again license his name and get loadsa money without even lifting a finger. Junior was recently reported as becoming involved with them. That would certainly be a bit threat to Fox's opinion fabulists...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nope. Maybe some were as selfishly focused as he was but they didn't have the weapon of a Twitter account in their hand through which to broadcast their message.

Irrespective of what comes next, his name/image will forever be associated with the office of the President of the United States and its standing is cheapened by this fact.
    Theres never been one as aggressively stupid, nowhere near, every one of them since pretty much Washington has been able to speak, formulate answers/reasoning etc. They would have all been well read and have left behind writings and explanations for their decisions and worldview etc, Trump is basically a different species to what has gone before, he doesnt have a worldview or any strategy, its amazing to watch. Its not just alzheimer's or whatever mental degradation he has going on, look at his disgusting kids aswell.

4 more years of this and America will seriously be up sh1t creek. China will be #1 enjoying its golden age for the next few decades like America did after WWII if America doesnt get someone in charge soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Michael Flynn - who hopefully ends up in prison soon - pledges allegiance to QAnon.

Imagine, he was nearly National Security Advisor to the POTUS.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-flynn-qanon-conspiracy-theory-independence-day-speech-slogan-a9602596.html

Igotadose wrote: »
    Michael Flynn - who hopefully ends up in prison soon - pledges allegiance to QAnon.

Imagine, he was nearly National Security Advisor to the POTUS.

I'd love to take that article more seriously, but it referred to 4Chan as a far-right message board. Stormfront is a far-right message board. 4Chan is more of a place where anything goes, from the mundane to the profane.

• Advertisement

I'd love to take that article more seriously, but it referred to 4Chan as a far-right message board. Stormfront is a far-right message board. 4Chan is more of a place where anything goes, from the mundane to the profane.

Not defending the UK indo, it is what it is. Here's another take on Flynn and QAnon. Still terrifying this guy, except for his own incompetence, might've been the Nat Sec head for the US advising the #IMPOTUS beginning in 2017

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/07/to-celebrate-the-fourth-michael-flynn-posts-a-pledge-to-conspiracy-group-qanon/

• Registered Users Posts: 53,865 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Big week ahead for Trumps taxes case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

If something tolerates the far right, it usually ends up being pretty much consumed by it.

That's the nature of the beast, the far right are never there to debate, only to take over and drive out the non-far right.

See the Current Affairs forum here, which I dived into this evening. It's a sewer filled with far right posters.

Hate speech on 4Chan increased by 40% between 2015 and 2019. One in every 15 comments there is hate speech, according to Vice magazine, which is actually a hell of a lot.

The online far right's tactics mirrors their political strategy. Pretend to be a normal part of diverse debate, exploit lax regulation and moderation, and then take over and wreck the gaff.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

If something tolerates the far right, it usually ends up being pretty much consumed by it.

That's the nature of the beast, the far right are never there to debate, only to take over and drive out the non-far right.

See the Current Affairs forum here, which I dived into this evening. It's a sewer filled with far right posters.

Hate speech on 4Chan increased by 40% between 2015 and 2019. One in every 15 comments there is hate speech, according to Vice magazine, which is actually a hell of a lot.

The online far right's tactics mirrors their political strategy. Pretend to be a normal part of diverse debate, exploit lax regulation and moderation, and then take over and wreck the gaff.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

It's still a mis-characterisation of the site as just like boards, there are many sub forums dedicated to a diverse range of interests and neither site was specifically set up to cater to people with a far-right view point. If much of the far-right opinion only takes place in a few sub forums, it's lazy journalism to call the whole site far-right. It can't be any skin off the author's nose to add a simple qualifier like 'in the /pol/ section of the website 4Chan... "

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

It's incredible what the likes of trump has managed to achieve with finally waking people up to the nonsense that is globalisation. what he has achieved is only the start. Everything works in cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It's incredible what the likes of trump has managed to achieve with finally waking people up to the nonsense that is globalisation. what he has achieved is only the start. Everything works in cycles.

What has he achieved?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What in particular is nonsense?

Globalisation exists because it can and people demand it to with their buying behaviour. If same people dislike the negative aspects of globalism enough, they can end it quite quickly. The trouble is that people just aren't willing to make the sacrifices involved. The trouble with Trump on this count is that he doesn't even attempt to outline the sacrifices needed when laying out his position on globalism. It's populism in a nutshell - 'I will take you to a land of milk and honey...'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Off topic posts deleted. Please post in a constructive manner.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

The <SNIP. No silly nicknames please> has put out an exec order to establish the "National Garden of Heroes" somewhere filled with statues of, well, an interesting group of Americans he believes were significant. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/statues-trump-include-national-garden-american-heroes.html?via=homepage_taps_top

Some names that I find interesting:

Henry Clay - mostly famous for not get elected President in my view, one time secretary of State, and not an abolitionist, did do some things to postpone the Civil war like the Missouri Compromise.

Antonin Scalia - uhh, he was an appointed SC Judge. Why him and not, say, Robert Jackson or Thurgood Marshall or Sandra Day O'Connor?

Audie Murphy - really?

Billy Graham - really?

Ronald Reagan?

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain - this is who from the Civil War set of Union heroes he's chosen? Not Grant? Sherman? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement