Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1279248881730142209?s=19

He's having a bit of trouble with words today.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,436 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If it was Biden we would have the usual Trump zealots screaming about dementia and mental decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Note to Steve Millar; don't use any words of more than three syllables.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Water John wrote: »
    Note to Steve Millar; don't use any words of more than three syllables.

But he's "the best orator to hold that office in generations."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As I said I didn't watch his speech and nor will I, but I seems during the national anthem(the First Lady had her hand over her heart) and trump is giving a military salute. That seems to not be the way it's meant to be. I'll be honest I know there is a protocol for this stuff but I wouldn't know the exact rules but trump seems to have done something he's not meant to(trump doing something he's not meant to do doesn't narrow things down).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think that speech from Mt Rushmore will do him more harm than good in the polls.

Obviously you'd expect nothing of him but to double down and only attempt to appeal to his base but this disconnect with what's actually happening all over the country and the projection of an alternative reality and the continued, for months at this stage, insistence that the virus will simply disappear is going to kill him with everyone outside of the cult following. Not to mention referring to traitors to the nation as his heroes.

It has happened before in the US and I don't see anything to say it won't happen again. When the public feel you have no understanding of their plight it is pretty hard for them to identify with you.

That the US government paid no attention to the rights of the Natives Americans should also come as no surprise to anybody.

yeah it was just yet another speech designed to appeal to his base. Whats the point, they are locked in now anyway so all he is doing is preaching to the converted. If he is going to win in November he needs to preach to the unconverted and turn some of those voters intending to vote for Biden. Joe has polling leads now which are outside the margin of error in all the states that count. Yet the Trump campaign is still just talking to his base, you would wonder what these very well paid election strategists are doing in the background because if they continue on in this vein its almost certain that Trump will lose in November.

On a side note I watched a video of the fireworks at Mt Rushmore solely because Trump promised us the greatest fireworks show in the history of fireworks. I was expecting something to rival Sydneys New Years Eve fireworks but instead it was just woeful and I switched off after 5 minutes. I could forgive the cringy patriotic soundtrack it was set to given its the 4th of July. But the actual pyrotechnic display wasnt very technical at all, they barely used 10 different types of fireworks and there were no more than five colours in all. Even the crowd sitting around Trump looked bored of it after 5 minutes and it went on for over half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ahh, yeah, Fisher Construction back in the news. The best people who the #IMPOTUS intervened for to get a chunk of his signature construction achievement (3 miles of wall) built while awarding them an enormous contract, $1.3bn.

Their chunk of wall is in danger of falling down. You just can't make this stuff up. Clown car administration, needed a reminder of just how inept besides corrupt this admin is.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/border-wall-built-by-trumps-hand-picked-contractor-is-in-danger-of-falling-into-the-rio-grande/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'm sure this is the start of something interesting

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53292585

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah it was just yet another speech designed to appeal to his base. Whats the point, they are locked in now anyway so all he is doing is preaching to the converted. If he is going to win in November he needs to preach to the unconverted and turn some of those voters intending to vote for Biden. Joe has polling leads now which are outside the margin of error in all the states that count. Yet the Trump campaign is still just talking to his base, you would wonder what these very well paid election strategists are doing in the background because if they continue on in this vein its almost certain that Trump will lose in November.

On a side note I watched a video of the fireworks at Mt Rushmore solely because Trump promised us the greatest fireworks show in the history of fireworks. I was expecting something to rival Sydneys New Years Eve fireworks but instead it was just woeful and I switched off after 5 minutes. I could forgive the cringy patriotic soundtrack it was set to given its the 4th of July. But the actual pyrotechnic display wasnt very technical at all, they barely used 10 different types of fireworks and there were no more than five colours in all. Even the crowd sitting around Trump looked bored of it after 5 minutes and it went on for over half an hour.
    Surprised they didn't use white fireworks only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

duploelabs wrote: »
    I'm sure this is the start of something interesting

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53292585

I don't expect this to see completion given its an election year - and it's Trump - but it says a lot the modern 20th president chosen is Reagan and not Eisenhower. You'd think that'd be the more ennobling choice. Neo conservatism over classical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Newsweek ran an article this weekend that looks at how Trump could lose the election but still remain president. It would involve invoking presidential powers that have already been developed by Barr.

It reads like a far-fetched scenario, but considering how much has happened under Trump's presidency so far, it is not beyond the realms of possbility.

https://www.newsweek.com/how-trump-could-lose-election-still-remain-president-opinion-1513975

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Newsweek ran an article this weekend that looks at how Trump could lose the election but still remain president. It would involve invoking presidential powers that have already been developed by Barr.

It reads like a far-fetched scenario, but considering how much has happened under Trump's presidency so far, it is not beyond the realms of possbility.

https://www.newsweek.com/how-trump-could-lose-election-still-remain-president-opinion-1513975
    It's been obvious for at least a year that something like this is extremely possible (not a given, but extremely possible) along with something like the possibility of just "suspending" the election and ignoring the law that means Pelosi (if I recall? I think it's house speaker) would take the title from Jan 20th, 2021 until an election was held while lying about what the law says and encouraging hsi supporters to get their guns out and take to the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

It's been obvious for at least a year that something like this is extremely possible (not a given, but extremely possible) along with something like the possibility of just "suspending" the election and ignoring the law that means Pelosi (if I recall? I think it's house speaker) would take the title from Jan 20th, 2021 until an election was held while lying about what the law says and encouraging hsi supporters to get their guns out and take to the streets.

I have no idea what extreme measures, corruption, criminal activity or whatever he will engage in but if anybody things he will just accept the outcome of a vote in November and walk away if he losses they are in for a very rude awakening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it depends on how the senate race works out. If McConnell is still the majority leader to a Biden victory then the question immediately turns to what support trump would receive from the GOP if he decided to ignore the result. He might cut an isolated figure if his party abandons him against the tide of opinion. They might be power hungry but they must surely be pragmatists at heart too. Presumably if both Houses become blue then Trump will have every political precedent and constitutional caveat thrown at him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,134 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Surely there is not enough white supremist KKK nazi fascists in america to vote this grifter back in?

That seems to be his base these days

Hes still got the evangelicals, its said that they have around 15% of the vote and ultimately that bible photo op was for them. A few broke ranks though, iirc he was condemned over it by some religious leaders.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Looks like people have shown a good deal of sense and not come to the July 4th celebration in DC.

Just seeing on TV , very very small numbers it would seem so far.

plenty of Social Distancing going on..

I know the GOP have been in lockstep for the most part with trump since 2016 but if trumps poll numbers stay as bad as they are now nearer to election then even his most loyal allies in the senate will at some point before November switch to self preservation politically. And trump is like a tennis player hitting faults into the net. Joe Biden just needs to keep the ship steady and he will President if everything is on the up and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

eire4 wrote: »
    I have no idea what extreme measures, corruption, criminal activity or whatever he will engage in but if anybody things he will just accept the outcome of a vote in November and walk away if he losses they are in for a very rude awakening.
    The usual tactic for narcissists who fail is to pick someone to blame and come up with a myriad of reason why they are the reason why he wasn't elected and it's not due to people rejecting him. If we're lucky, he'll blame the GOP and Republican establishment for not supporting him. If we're unlucky, he'll claim it was fraud and will start inciting people to not accept the result.

Donald trump has said(without any evidence) that 99% of covid-19 cases are totally harmless. This, along with him repeating that the virus will disappear amongst other claims is him and his administration going with the "out of sight, out of mind" belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Donald trump has said(without any evidence) that 99% of covid-19 cases are totally harmless. This, along with him repeating that the virus will disappear amongst other claims is him and his administration going with the "out of sight, out of mind" belief.

His rhetoric at the moment, as it has been for his entire Presidency, is absolutely disgraceful. He's a serious and present danger to American lives and to democracy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    His rhetoric at the moment, as it has been for his entire Presidency, is absolutely disgraceful. He's a serious and present danger to American lives and to democracy.

Well, He can't run on a "Great Economy" ticket, be can't run on a "Look at the great job I'm doing with the virus" ticket so he has clearly decided that his only option is to run on the " The others are coming to get you and your children" ticket.

So he is leaning in to that hard right now.

I don't see it winning him any new support, but it will fire up his base.

Fox News have been prepping them for this impending Armageddon for decades.

I dont know how many times Ive seen him claim that they have done the most tests in the world, 25 million he says. While that might be true its a useless stat in itself unless you compare on a per capita basis. Its hard to believe the media let him repeat this claim time and time again but never report on how its really numerical trickery. Has anyone seen a per capita comparison and where are the US on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭briany

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Well, He can't run on a "Great Economy" ticket, be can't run on a "Look at the great job I'm doing with the virus" ticket so he has clearly decided that his only option is to run on the " The others are coming to get you and your children" ticket.

So he is leaning in to that hard right now.

I don't see it winning him any new support, but it will fire up his base.

Fox News have been prepping them for this impending Armageddon for decades.

Maybe Trump has nothing to lose by going hard right. He's backed himself into a corner that makes it tough, if not impossible, to reach out to moderates. At least by reaching out to the base and keeping them on message, he will have a ready-made audience of 30 or 40 million for Trump TV when he loses the election.

Trump would not go quietly into the night. That much we know. He is called by some a 'street fighter' and a 'counter-puncher'. He has a tenacity that is highly admirable for a 74 year old when most 74 year olds are content to have the feet up. But he tends to channel this tenacity into being extraordinarily petty and concerned with his self-aggrandisement.

If you consider that Trump may have only run for president because of several quips Obama made about Trump in 2012, then you have to wonder at the ferocity of his reaction when he feels like he's been screwed out of a second term, even if it was in fact just due to collapsing Trump support?

briany wrote: »
    If you consider that Trump may have only run for president because of several quips Obama made about Trump in 2012, then you have to wonder at the ferocity of his reaction when he feels like he's been screwed out of a second term, even if it was in fact just due to collapsing Trump support?

It would be something fierce and well worth screening a pay per view special from the Oval Office, I would gladly pay to watch that fallout.

Im almost thinking that Biden has to win this election comprehensively to avoid any chance of Trump going full psycho after the results come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,436 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It would be something fierce and well worth screening a pay per view special from the Oval Office, I would gladly pay to watch that fallout.

Im almost thinking that Biden has to win this election comprehensively to avoid any chance of Trump going full psycho after the results come in.

This is the worry, if it's a tight result (G.W.BUSH tight) then he will cause sever unrest claiming the vote was rigged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I dunno if you've been paying attention but Trump doesn't strike me as someone who'll accept defeat on himself :pac:

This is the worry, if it's a tight result (G.W.BUSH tight) then he will cause sever unrest claiming the vote was rigged.

If it's that tight, and the GOP are still on Trump's side, it'll be 2000 all over again. No question IMO and like most things Trump, he'll have projected fears of voter fraud in that it'll be his patch who actually commits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

pixelburp wrote: »
    If it's that tight, and the GOP are still on Trump's side, it'll be 2000 all over again. No question IMO and like most things Trump, he'll have projected fears of voter fraud in that it'll be his patch who actually commits it.

There is no doubt that they are already setting that up. Whether postal voting (on a large scale) goes ahead of not, they will claim no matter what that voter fraud tool place. And they will find some examples to 'prove' their point.

To hear a POTUS give a speech like he did - btw the delivery was possibly his worst yet - for 4th July celebrations is insane. Like St Patricks Day in Ireland, it is supposed to be time to celebrate the history, the achievements, and look to a brighter future. The usual schick about everybody being as one, blah blah.

Instead, Trump basically called almost half (according to the current polling) as looking to destroy the US, tear down everything it stands for.

It always amazes me that nearly every election in the US is dragged down to fighting for the 'heart and soul' of the country. The very future of the country being at stake. I don't see that hyperbole in other countries. Sure Labour/Tory or FG/SF are very different policital philosophies, but rarely do people claim that the very existance of the country is actually at stake.

A certain segment of the US seem to live in perpetual fear that at any given moment the whole country is simply going to collapse and die. I simly cannot understand how the most powerful country in the world has such a flimsy confidence in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭briany

Has there been a POTUS since the American Civil War who has been as wilfully inflammatory as Trump, or more so, even?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement