Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And that’s why I hope jussie smollett gets the full weight of the law in being charged. Even after it was revealed he’d been caught lying about the incident(the nature of the incident which is serious) he doubled down. Also, all of Hollywood tripping over themselves on social media to support him.

But just as one white man rampaging through a school with a gun does not mean that every white man is a terrorist, one obviously stupid, and IMO panicked, instance does not mean that mean that his 'side' is damaged.

Hollywood came out in support of him because his story called for support. Just like that race driver. When the facts came out, peoples views changed.

I am happy to let the FBI do their job, I am not minded to waste time trying to investigate the incident in regards to the race driver myself. What I cannot understand is why POTUS feels the need to get involved.

At it core, a man felt threatened, told those around him, who came out in support. It turns out that he was not under any threat, although I can see why he would have felt under threat.

He owes no one an apology, we Trump feels he should or that he should get involved in personal matters is beyond me

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But just as one white man rampaging through a school with a gun does not mean that every white man is a terrorist, one obviously stupid, and IMO panicked, instance does not mean that mean that his 'side' is damaged.

Hollywood came out in support of him because his story called for support. Just like that race driver. When the facts came out, peoples views changed.

I am happy to let the FBI do their job, I am not minded to waste time trying to investigate the incident in regards to the race driver myself. What I cannot understand is why POTUS feels the need to get involved.

At it core, a man felt threatened, told those around him, who came out in support. It turns out that he was not under any threat, although I can see why he would have felt under threat.

He owes no one an apology, we Trump feels he should or that he should get involved in personal matters is beyond me

Generally I agree with you , but in the case on Bubba Wallace - He was not the one that reported the noose , In fact he never even saw it.

His team saw it and not unreasonably believed it to be a noose and reported it given it was the only "door pull" of this type in the garage assigned to the only Black Nascar driver shortly after he had made public statements supporting BLM etc.

I don't think anyone did anything wrong in this scenario and whilst it's good that it wasn't something specifically targeted at Wallace you still have to wonder about the (at best) careless thoughtlessness of the person that installed that door pull whenever it was done.

Trump insisting that Wallace has something to apologise for is a straight-forward dog whistle to his base about how Black people should know their place and not cause trouble for their betters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Generally I agree with you , but in the case on Bubba Watson - He was not the one that reported the noose , In fact he never even saw it.

His team saw it and not unreasonably believed it to be a noose and reported it given it was the only "door pull" of this type in the garage assigned to the only Black Nascar driver shortly after he had made public statements supporting BLM etc.

I don't think anyone did anything wrong in this scenario and whilst it's good that it wasn't something specifically targeted at Watson you still have to wonder about the (at best) careless thoughtlessness of the person that installed that door pull whenever it was done.

Trump insisting that Watson has something to apologise for is a straight-forward dog whistle to his base about how Black people should know their place and not cause trouble for their betters.

Bubba Watson is a golfer. Bubba Wallace!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Trump insisting that Wallace has something to apologise for is a straight-forward dog whistle to his base about how Black people should know their place and not cause trouble for their betters.
    he is not happy with how he is doing in the polls and he is shoring up his base.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The Supreme Court has said that states can insist that Electoral College members vote with the popular vote in the State. In this case why is there need for an Electoral College, which implies some sort of individual discretion in EC voting? Votes could be weighted based on the actual results in each state if the need is felt to adjust the 'one person, one vote' results to even out places like New York and California.

Am I missing something crucial in this system? I really can't claim to understand it.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/505984-supreme-court-rules-states-can-remove-faithless-electors

Edit, maybe this is off topic for this thread, in which case apologies and please move to a more appropriate thread, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's probably not the place for it, by yes I agree that the unanimous decision by the SC is potentially the first step on the road to doing away with the EC completely

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's probably not the place for it, by yes I agree that the unanimous decision by the SC is potentially the first step on the road to doing away with the EC completely

Got a link on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It is hard to really quantify the damage Jussie Smollett did to BLM etc.

One thing he did do was give racists a scapegoat, any time someone comes up with a genuine grievance, "hyuck hyuck hyuck, looks like we got ourselves the next Jussie Smollett."

That said, those sort of people are never going to be won around by argument.

But impressionable eejits looking on might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Got a link on that?

Link inserted in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Some details from the USG on which firms received Paycheck Protection Program loans. Lots of amusing names from all sides of the political spectrum - The Daily Caller, Grover Nordquist's group (whatever they're called, phonies for lower taxes), Boies/Schiller/Flexner the legal powerhouse, Archdiocese of NY, a Hebrew Academy run by the Kushner's, various state-based political groups in Ohio, Florida, ...

Basically, lots of taxpayer $$ going to many businesses, some raise eyebrows (the Archdiocese of NY?)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/06/coronavirus-stimulus-list-of-ppp-small-business-loan-recipients-released.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

eldamo wrote: »
    It is hard to really quantify the damage Jussie Smollett did to BLM etc.

One thing he did do was give racists a scapegoat, any time someone comes up with a genuine grievance, "hyuck hyuck hyuck, looks like we got ourselves the next Jussie Smollett."

That said, those sort of people are never going to be won around by argument.

But impressionable eejits looking on might be.

He didn't do any damage really. The only people that bring it up are the type of people that are never go agree with something like BLM anyway and this is just their excuse.

These are the very same people that will state that one white man shooting 30 people cannot be used to paint all white men as terrorists.

The proof is that BLM is much bigger now than it was when his case happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Plant it on the sun instead.

As they spiral further and further away from reality, Trump and the right's projection of American exceptionalism is becoming sad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Americans landed Americans on the moon; I know VonBraun & co. had their hand in the space program but it was still a predominantly American endeavour.

Claiming they "won" World War 1 is an egregious boast, along with that about settling the "Wild West"; certainly shows the John Wayne, mythological mindset of the West Trump is operating from. At least he didn't say "tamed" I suppose. Small mercies n' all.

Does make me wonder what Biden will make of this Mars Mission if he gets the presidency; would have to look at his manifesto but I'd wonder if he shares Trumps eagerness to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

pixelburp wrote: »
    Does make me wonder what Biden will make of this Mars Mission if he gets the presidency; would have to look at his manifesto but I'd wonder if he shares Trumps eagerness to go there.

Trump talks a good Mars game but NASA has not received anything like the sort of funding required to make Mars a reality.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

• Splitting the Atom - New Zealander
    • Telephone - Scotsman
    • Internet - Debatable , but mostly an Englishman
    • Harnessed Electricity - Again , debatable , but I might give them that one with Edison (but he cheated so there's that)
    • Won Two World Wars - Where do you even start with that one?
    • Put a man on the Moon - Well , mostly Nazi Scientists , but OK.
    • "Settled the Wild West" AKA - Murdered them pesky Natives to clear the land for the White folk..

Inquitus wrote: »
    Trump talks a good Mars game but NASA has not received anything like the sort of funding required to make Mars a reality.

I actually do view non militaristic space travel as a genuinely beneficial thing. The research in general that they do is worth paying for. Rarely actually get enough funding though from what I know.

I actually do view non militaristic space travel as a genuinely beneficial thing. The research in general that they do is worth paying for. Rarely actually get enough funding though from what I know.

(Appreciate that this is getting off topic) I'd agree, but in many respects NASA might be the most cost efficient branch of the US government as I see it: they're almost constantly underfunded yet the nature of their work requires an eye-watering level of safety and detail. Despite that there are almost never any accidents, while achieving pretty spectacular - stellar if you will - results with the projects they do run. There's probably very few wasted dollars compared with something like the Military, where money just gets continuously poured into the black hole of "research"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

• Internet - Debatable , but mostly an Englishman
    If you're thinking of Tim Berners-Lee that'd be the Web, not t'Internet, which in fairness was developed by the Yanks. (ARPANet now called Internet, was developed by ARPA, now called DARPA).

serfboard wrote: »
    If you're thinking of Tim Berners-Lee that'd be the Web, not t'Internet, which in fairness was developed by the Yanks. (ARPANet now called Internet, was developed by ARPA, now called DARPA).

I am , but in fairness Trump wasn't talking about ARPANET and the Unix based inter-connections between University ,not is almost anyone outside of the Technical sphere - My 1st job after college in the very early 90's was running Technical fora on the USENET , before the "web" properly existed

Trump was talking about the Web.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I doubt he knows the difference. Other than the fact that he understands it better than anyone, I'd expect him to come out with something about Twitter having lower ratings if he ever gets kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

So the US are leaving WHO. No better time to do that then when your people are dying in a global pandemic:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1280562690818179077?s=21

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 NelsonsElbow

But isn't each US state responsible for their own covid response? Don't think Trump has alot to do with the strategy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

But isn't each US state responsible for their own covid response? Don't think Trump has alot to do with the strategy tbh

Didn't he order states to open churches? Meddling while also claiming no responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He’s the president, he’s meant to be in charge of things. He was in charge right up until he lost interest. He appointed Pence to run everything, why did he do that and have all his pressers if it was nothing to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

No doubt in my mind that this is announced just in time to take the media's attention away from the niece's book.

Classic Trump play I think, and it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    His rhetoric at the moment, as it has been for his entire Presidency, is absolutely disgraceful. He's a serious and present danger to American lives and to democracy.

Donald "the Diseased" Trump should really change his re-election campaign slogan from MAGA (Make America Great Again) to MAD (Make Americans Die). At least it would be an honest slogan. 131,000 dead and counting...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Exactly, this leaving the WHO which won't be for another 12 months anyway is simply Trump being Trump and distracting.

Its so annoying how it always works, they had 38 questions at that press briefing the day before yesterday, not one about the latest Russia maelstrom he is up to his neck in.

It will be the same with this, it's pathetic journalism actually to be constantly thrown off by obvious attempts to throw them off the really bad stuff.

He will either win re-election and cancel the withdrawal claiming some victory or Biden will cancel the withdrawal anyway. Just a stupid rabbit hole.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

I think if anything sums up the sheer shameless dishonesty and grift of the entirety of Trump world, it's this. Carlson hadn't yet figured out at the end of March that masks would soon become the target of a right-wing culture war, but now that masks are the subject of such a war, he's all in.

Go team.

Tucker Carlson March 31, 2020

Of course, masks work. Everyone knows that. Dozens of research papers have proved it. In South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, the rest of Asia — where coronavirus has been kept under control — masks were key.

https://foxwilmington.com/headlines/tucker-carlson-we-understand-theres-a-shortage-of-medical-masks-stop-lying-to-us-and-tell-the-truth/

Tucker Carlson July 7, 2020

Tucker Carlson says masks and social distancing "have no basis of any kind in science. It's like a kind of bizarre health theater"

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1280654150955565056

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I am , but in fairness Trump wasn't talking about ARPANET and the Unix based inter-connections between University ,not is almost anyone outside of the Technical sphere - My 1st job after college in the very early 90's was running Technical fora on the USENET , before the "web" properly existed

And despite the nuclear physicist uncle, I think he didn't mean 'split the atom.' I think he meant 'produce and use Atomic weapons.' He likes his toys.

OT: some of us are old enough (well, a few anyway) to have actually sent messages via ARPA from NYC to London in the mid-70's. As for USENET, it's depressing that you hear the same-old arguments today, that were put forth by that generation of CT frauds, still denying the Holocaust, still the secret cabals running the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement