Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Igotadose wrote: »
    Audie Murphy - really?

In Audie's defence, if my memory serves me.
    He is the most decorated US soldier of WW2 with everything up to and including the Medal of Honour.

Some of the despatches regarding his sheer courage are amazing.

Trump seems to be wanting a hybrid of Gorky Park and a Potemkin village for "Real" Americans to walk around and ignore reality in!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

banie01 wrote: »
    He is the most decorated US soldier of WW2 with everything up to and including the Medal of Honour.

Trump seems to be wanting a hybrid of Gorky Park and a Potemkin village for "Real" Americans to walk around and ignore reality in!

Patton's on the list. Really I'd swap them both for either George S. Marshall or Eisenhower.

But the whole idea is laughable, well, except in Trumpworld where up is down and the sky is green.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Notmything

Igotadose wrote: »
    The #IMPOTUS has put out an exec order to establish the "National Garden of Heroes" somewhere filled with statues of, well, an interesting group of Americans he believes were significant. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/statues-trump-include-national-garden-american-heroes.html?via=homepage_taps_top

Audie Murphy - really?

Billy Graham - really?

Ronald Reagan?

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain - this is who from the Civil War set of Union heroes he's chosen? Not Grant? Sherman? :pac:

Audie Murphy, one of the most decorated American soldiers, so I can see that.

Billie Graham, no idea.

Reagan won the cold war sure (sarcasm)

Chamberlain's status has much to do with the film and book that elevated his role at the battle of Gettysburg but he is often seen as what an American hero should be.

Grants presidency was marked by cronyism and scandal, also many see his civil war career as one of mindless butchery.

Sherman's record with the native Americans is not great, probably avoiding controversy by not including him, which is not like Trump.

Notmything wrote: »

Sherman's record with the native Americans is not great, probably avoiding controversy by not including him, which is not like Trump.

I was a bit tongue-in-cheek when it came to Sherman. The South *hates* him. He won the war in the South by burning it to the ground. He'd never be memorialized in such a place. Yeah, Grant was a bad President but an effective general.

Billy Graham, the Evangelical leader, is a sop to the evangelicals Trump's conned into believing he cares about religion in the slightest. Lots of US Presidents sucked up to that guy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

banie01 wrote: »

That's exactly what he wants - Steve Hilton on Fox had some other ideas for him as well , all designed to push a single version of History and reality.

5 Things that Trumps needs to do to win re-election

Hilton encouraged Trump to focus on five areas ahead of the November election:

1) "Teach our kids to love America"

"The message in schools is that America is bad and evil," Hilton said. "That's not education, it’s leftist propaganda. We should teach the truth, yes, including the bad things, but not just the bad things."

Hilton suggested a national history program; online history courses; free visits to museums and landmarks; and a tax deduction for "patriotic learning," incentivizing families "to learn to love America together."

2) "Make America self-sufficient"

Hilton urged Trump to focus on securing U.S. supply chains and avoid the country's longtime reliance on foreign governments.

"If you want to sell it in America, make it in America," he said. "If there's one country on Earth that has the scale and diversity of resources to be truly self-sufficient, it's America. "

3) "Make America a family again"

"Whatever problem we're trying to solve, poverty, inequality, crime, drugs, you name it, the best single thing you can do is make sure children are raised in a loving home," Hilton said. "When parents stay together, they increase the odds that their children will climb the ladder of opportunity."

4) "Make American cities great again"

"Democrats have let our beautiful cities be scarred with crime, disorder and educational disorder," Hilton said.

"We mustn't leave this to the left," he went on, suggesting "conservative solutions," namely "school choice, safe streets and strong families."

5) "Peace Corps for America"

"Bring young people together from different parts of the country, different backgrounds to serve American community needs," Hilton said, suggesting "a kind of non-military national service.

Number 1 is a doozy - Tax deductions for "Patriotic Learning" whatever the hell that is!

With the exception of #2 they all seem to basically be - Remove Independent thought and brain-wash the populace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I think we all know that if this "park" goes ahead there will be a massive statue of Trump in the center (something akin to Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il in North Korea) and then all of the others will be place around the park facing towards him.

I think we all know that if this "park" goes ahead there will be a massive statue of Trump in the center (something akin to Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il in North Korea) and then all of the others will be place around the park facing towards him.

I want to see this in a morbidly curious way. Physical evidence that the man is utterly delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Notmything

And, as one of my kids pointed out, they will eventually name an aircraft carrier after him.

A beautiful, huge carrier, filled with the best and biggest planes. That ll really fuel his ego.

Saw a comment on twitter that most president's leave a library when they leave. Trump probably doesn't have enough books to prop up a coffee table, but, a park full of all-American heroes that he has created, that is something that will be remembered. Like, how many people know about the presidential libraries or even care about them.

This park will be his, even without his name.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Mary Trumps book will now be released next Tuesday instead of July 28th.

The publishers have released another snippet from the book , this time the blurb from the back cover

Simon & Schuster published the back cover of the book for the first time on Monday. It is an excerpt of Mary's writing, stating that "today, Donald is much as he was at three years old: incapable of growing, learning, or evolving, unable to regulate his emotions, moderate his responses, or take in & synthesize information."

Mary also writes about the president's father Fred, who "caused him terror," she says. "Donald suffered deprivations that would scar him for life," Mary asserts.

Ouch...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Mary Trumps book will now be released next Tuesday instead of July 28th.

The publishers have released another snippet from the book , this time the blurb from the back cover

Ouch...

Well she's not wrong. I Know trump has had some tweet storms during his presidency, but when this book comes out I expect an epic tweet storm as this is a family member saying these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Saw a post on Reddit referring to a Trump branded baseball on sale for $88 (a common code number used by Nazis as it refers to the 8th letter of the Alphabet - HH - Heil Hitler).
    "Trump is selling $88 baseballs!"

"Probably just a coincidence."

"Trump is defending the confederate flag!"

"Doesn't mean anything."

"Trump hired Steven Miller, an avowed white nationalist!"

"That's just your opinion."

"Trump hired Sebastion Gorka too, a member of Vitezi Rend!"

"Talk American."

"Trump hired Steve Bannon, who said being called racist was 'A badge of honor!'"

"Well maybe it is."

"Trump called Nazis 'very fine people.'"

"So what?"

"Trump has repeatedly referred to african Americans as thugs!"

"What's your point?"

"Trump called for a Muslim ban!"

"And?"

"Trump took out a full page ad calling for the death penalty for five innocent black men!"

"That's in the past."

"Trump is still calling for them to be executed even after proven innocent by DNA evidence!"

"Not a big deal."

"Trump slept with a book of Hitler's speeches next to his bed!"

"Who doesn't?"

"Trump's father was arrested at a KKK rally!"

"Whose wasn't?"

"Trump is threatening people who take down confederate monuments!"

"Perfectly normal behavior."

"Trump wouldn't let black people stay at his hotels!"

"That doesn't mean anything."

"Trump literally just got a Nazi swastika carved into his forehead with Hitler's personal SS dagger on the anniversary of Kristallnacht!"

"Yeah, and?"

Edit: Just wanted to take a moment and encourage everyone to read the replies to this comment, because as it turns out (Surprise, surprise!) Donald Trump has done a lot more disgusting white nationalist **** than I covered here. So, you know, read other people's comments too is what I'm saying I guess.

I don't think I would've gone as far as saying that Trump was an actual white supremacist just after his inauguration - a racist? Sure. But in a kinda of 'yer da' kind of way.

But there's been far, far too much smoke at this stage for him not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That's exactly what he wants - Steve Hilton on Fox had some other ideas for him as well , all designed to push a single version of History and reality.

5 Things that Trumps needs to do to win re-election

Number 1 is a doozy - Tax deductions for "Patriotic Learning" whatever the hell that is!

With the exception of #2 they all seem to basically be - Remove Independent thought and brain-wash the populace.

Number 5 might well make a solid dent in class and race based discrimination.

Or at least it might if Republicans didn't turn it into the American version of the Hitler Youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Kayleigh is on rare form today, possibly her worst press conference yet, the Whitehouse press pool smell blood.

Gbear wrote: »
    Number 5 might well make a solid dent in class and race based discrimination.

Or at least it might if Republicans didn't turn it into the American version of the Hitler Youth.

Absolutely - Their version of a US centered Peace Corps would be essentially "Conservative Missionaries converting the savage natives and saving them from their wicked ways"

Inquitus wrote: »
    Kayleigh is on rare form today, possibly her worst press conference yet, the Whitehouse press pool smell blood.

If it's as bad as you say then I'm sure it'll be reported on later. Has she had any good press conferences though ? I mean in the sense that other news outlets not Fox News calling them good.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    If it's as bad as you say then I'm sure it'll be reported on later. Has she had any good press conferences though ? I mean in the sense that other news outlets not Fox News calling them good.

This whopper was the pick of the bunch!
    “I think the world is looking at us as a leader in Covid-19,” McEnany said during the White House briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

They're a leader alright. Nobody can argue with that!

She's right, the world *is* looking at the US as the world leader in Covid-19. Deaths, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

How can McEnany look herself in the mirror? How does she rationalise barefaced lying on the world stage day after day, lie after lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

How can McEnany look herself in the mirror? How does she rationalise barefaced lying on the world stage day after day, lie after lie?

Confession at the weekend and all lies are forgiven and the slate is wiped clean.. :o:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Trumps really enjoying his twitter today!

Mod Snip

Don't just dump the tweets please , at least discuss or comment on them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Sure that Sarah Huckabee Sanders was the same. Standing in front of the world and telling absolute barefaced lies day after day can't be great for the self esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Well she’s only reading from the pre-prepared answer book.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just listening now and yeah for the first time she is rattled. It seems the journos were operating in tandem with their questions.

She said the FBI reported that the noose found in Bubba Wallaces Nascar garage was really a rope used to pull down the garage door. Did the FBI find the same rope on all the garage doors? It would be very strange if his garage was the only one to have a rope shaped like a noose

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This is the rope in question

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1276188964488003584

Also
    Nascar officials and FBI investigators have not once disputed the fact the noose was found in Wallace’s garage stall. Nascar executives have announced that they had conducted a careful sweep of all 1,684 garage stalls at the 29 tracks the league uses, and the only noose was the one found in Wallace's garage.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/07/06/trump-criticizes-bubba-wallace-calls-noose-incident-a-hoax-despite-fbi-findings/#34100b571d46

Trump tweeted that Wallace should apologise to Nascar for reporting it.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1280117571874951170

I find it astonishing that out of 1,684 garages on a 29 racetracks all with garage doors the only single one of them they found a noose was in the garage of the only black driver in Nascar. What are the odds of that happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Never fails to amuse me how transparent the man is. Ratings, ratings like. That's the method you use to work out if something is good or bad, TV ratings.

An imbecile is likely to be less self absorbed and more self aware than that snake oil salesman occupying the white House.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    This is the rope in question

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1276188964488003584

Also

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/07/06/trump-criticizes-bubba-wallace-calls-noose-incident-a-hoax-despite-fbi-findings/#34100b571d46

Trump tweeted that Wallace should apologise to Nascar for reporting it.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1280117571874951170

I find it astonishing that out of 1,684 garages on a 29 racetracks all with garage doors the only single one of them they found a noose was in the garage of the only black driver in Nascar. What are the odds of that happening?

Yet, when they dealt with it on last week tonight they said that it does appear in the background of a video a year before it was bubba wallaces garage... Still, a noose is an odd thing to tie just for the hell of it...

Trump is an absolute race baiting lunatic, 1,2,3,4 I declare race war! Anything to distract and whip up his base. The man is running scared.

I saw some of his followers compare this bubba thing with Jussie smollett, totally unfair, but man, did Jussie Smollet do a lot of damage to his own side the idiot.

The latest Gallup Presidential approval poll shows unsurprising bad news for Trump but it also shows how incredibly difficult it will be for either candidate to lead the US in future.

Trumps overall approval is down to 38% but his approval among Republicans is actually up to 91% from 85% .

Democrats have a 2% approval rating and perhaps worst news of all from Trump is that his approval among independents dropped from 39% to 33%

Trump has also lost ground among White men , Older people and Southerns , he's even lost the overall majority among the Non-College educated.

The only grouping where he is above 50% is with White non-college educated.

The overall bad news I see in this is how the hell is anyone supposed to lead that country?

Who ever wins in November will automatically have ~40% of the country that utterly despise them and will be almost impossible to move in their opinions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's like I always call it it: Sports Fan politics, this is where America was always headed the moment it let partisanship and its media cultivate a culture of one side eternally pitted against the other. You don't abandon your team, even if they're swilling around relegation with a dud of a manager. Republican support being up 3 points is particularly obscene, but not particularly surprising either. As you say, governing a country like that will be impossible, it's not fit for purpose anymore. Maybe Biden will go the intentional bipartisan route and fill his cabinet with soft Republicans - but that of course will p*ss off the increasingly vocal left-wing of the Democrats...

Remember Trump's snark that he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and his approval would still go up? Remember how we curled our lips in disgust, laughing at the vulgarity of it all. Damnit if of all the things Trump came out with that has been demonstrative nonsense - that this is the remark to hold true. He probably could, right now, gun down someone in New York (a black man undoubtedly) and his GOP approval would curve into he high 90s.

• Advertisement

eldamo wrote: »
    Yet, when they dealt with it on last week tonight they said that it does appear in the background of a video a year before it was bubba wallaces garage... Still, a noose is an odd thing to tie just for the hell of it...

Trump is an absolute race baiting lunatic, 1,2,3,4 I declare race war! Anything to distract and whip up his base. The man is running scared.

I saw some of his followers compare this bubba thing with Jussie smollett, totally unfair, but man, did Jussie Smollet do a lot of damage to his own side the idiot.

And that’s why I hope jussie smollett gets the full weight of the law in being charged. Even after it was revealed he’d been caught lying about the incident(the nature of the incident which is serious) he doubled down. Also, all of Hollywood tripping over themselves on social media to support him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement