Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

Really?
    Thanks for the scoop.

Why would the Eu give stimulus packages to individuals?

In relation to this, I would suspect there's a lot of people who are using this time to save if they're able to. There's not really anything to spend money on plus we simply don't know what awaits. The US simply has zero supports so anything coming via stimulus packages is going straight into bills and such, particularly for those who lost their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The EU give the money to nations who then distribute it to citizens and businesses.

Not a cent so far. Us has 2 trillion given out with at least another 3 to come.

There is a meeting going on in Brussels right now.

So do all countries and Eu citizens get money from the Eu?
    What about countries that have already given stimulus packages to people?
    Will the get a double payment?

And thus we are back to the deficit of USA being 3 trillion.
    This is borrowed money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

duploelabs wrote: »
    You're contradicted because you made an absolute false equivalency. Saying the US, Japan, and EU are govenerned identically with the same responsibilities is just wrong

In my mind that translates to some countries are ok to have deficits. While the Us isn't allowed. And anyone who compares different countries is wrong because you have decided so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

He did make a comment very late in the day, but in true Trump style couldn't even manage to get it right.

"Saddened to hear the news of civil rights hero John Lewis passing. Melania and I send our prayers to he and his family."

And poor Little Marco Rubio tweeted a lovely message yesterday ""It was an honor to know & be blessed with the opportunity to serve in Congress with JohnLewis a genuine & historic American hero. May the Lord grant him eternal peace".

The trouble is, he posted it over a photo of himself with Elijah Cummings and not John Lewis... OUch!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

In my mind that translates to some countries are ok to have deficits. While the Us isn't allowed. And anyone who compares different countries is wrong because you have decided so.

I never mentioned anything about deficits, its about Governance and responsibilities. That's where you're totally wrong

• Advertisement

In relation to this, I would suspect there's a lot of people who are using this time to save if they're able to. There's not really anything to spend money on plus we simply don't know what awaits. The US simply has zero supports so anything coming via stimulus packages is going straight into bills and such, particularly for those who lost their jobs.

Personal, I’ve saved a good bit.

As you said, no overseas holidays, no bars or restaurants and most retail shops were shut.

The us is in big trouble.

I never mentioned anything about deficits, its about Governance and responsibilities. That's where you're totally wrong

No that's where you have decided that some countries economic situation doesn't matter while the status of others do.

I'm guessing this is interchangeable without notice at any point

No that's where you have decided that some countries economic situation doesn't matter while the status of others do.

I'm guessing this is interchangeable without notice at any point

Does the Eu have a president with the same powers and responsibilities as the US?

You also ignored the fact that the Irish government have given out over five grand to individuals since the pandemic started, this is above the commercial stimulus and other legislation to protect them. Has the US done the same?

Does the Eu have a president with the same powers and responsibilities as the US?

You also ignored the fact that the Irish government have given out over five grand to individuals since the pandemic started, this is above the commercial stimulus and other legislation to protect them. Has the US done the same?

The Irish government has handed out taxable welfare payments to individuals.

Welfare also being payed out in the Us.

Focus on the word Stimulus. It is not the same as welfare. The EU cannot agree on a stimulus package. Fighting has been going on weeks. Ireland is set to be a net contributor to a fund.

The Us has payed out 2 trillion so far with another 3 to come.

Ok yes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Focus on the word Stimulus. It is not the same as welfare. The EU cannot agree on a stimulus package. Fighting has been going on weeks.

The Us has payed out 2 trillion so far with another 3 to come

Does the EU levy income tax or collect direct taxation from its citizens?

All income in the US is taxable, eg the stimulus and welfare payments delivered to date are liable for tax.
    Why are you harping on about the Covid payment here being taxable? When same will apply stateside?
    Even without the Covid payment, would you rather fall sick or unemployed here or there?

Your notion that the EU should provide direct stimulus to the citizens?
    When I am paying direct taxation to them, then yes.
    If not? Well much like the EU levy being an indirect taxation raised on government, any stimulus can really be only expected to be issued the same way.
    In support for government spending.

Now onto your weird notion that the US deficit doesn't matter?
    Given that the cast majority of commodities, corporate bonds and institutional paper issued are denominated in USD, that it is currently a reserve currency?

What possible harm could come from running the printer and inflating away the real world purchasing power of the dollar?

• Advertisement

Focus on the word Stimulus. It is not the same as welfare. The EU cannot agree on a stimulus package. Fighting has been going on weeks. Ireland is set to be a net contributor to a fund.

The Us has payed out 2 trillion so far with another 3 to come.

Ok yes

There's already stimulus packages available to businesses in Ireland. Are you up to your old tricks again of not reading replies?

There's already stimulus packages available to businesses in Ireland. Are you up to your old tricks again of not reading replies?

Or answering anything.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All,

Let's get back on to the subject of the thread please.

Discussions about the Irish/EU financial response can be discussed elsewhere.

Thanks

Trump failed to call new taoiseach Micky Martin. This is a change from normal routine when a new leader is chosen..

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-fails-to-call-ireland-premier-said-criticised-president-2020-7

MM said last year that Europe should stand up to Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yes. There is a pandemic going on. Us in deep trouble. Money must be thrown at businesses to stop another recession. A recession that would likely spread globally.

As the phrase goes. When the Us sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold.

Is that what any of us want?

So your assertion is that he had not massively increased the deficit before the pandemic?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Yes. There is a pandemic going on. Us in deep trouble. Money must be thrown at businesses to stop another recession. A recession that would likely spread globally.

As the phrase goes. When the Us sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold.

Is that what any of us want?
    The US' first coronavirus case case on January 22nd, and it had a total of 7 cases by February 1st.

Yet in January, the US debt was at $23.3tn, up $3.4tn from when Trump had come into office exactly 3 years earlier. That is an increase of $1.1tn a year, or $90bn a month, over his first three years despite inheriting a booming economy.

Now that he has encountered an actual problem, one which he made worse by his actions unlike his predecessor who inherited the 2008 recession, he has blown through even more, to the tube of over $3tn in 6 months.

The debt went up $9tn in 8 years under Obama - an average of $1.125tn a year. Under Trump, it's gone up $6.7tn in 3.5 years - an average of $1.9tn a year. With the financial outlook for the US being grim to put it mildly, in no small part directly thanks to Trumps own failing during this crisis, that number is only going to skyrocket further between now and November.

The economy is turning out to be one of Trump's biggest failings of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

https://couriernewsroom.com/2020/07/17/federal-police-portland-protests/?fbclid=IwAR3syvixoPk5OY0r0OLc09rn20ValZgndz56LtQ_UJNWUMnGwz3kKCGmiMw

A test run ahead of what Trump will try to do in November if he loses the election? It's not out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    https://couriernewsroom.com/2020/07/17/federal-police-portland-protests/?fbclid=IwAR3syvixoPk5OY0r0OLc09rn20ValZgndz56LtQ_UJNWUMnGwz3kKCGmiMw

A test run ahead of what Trump will try to do in November if he loses the election? It's not out of the question.

That’s the test if he wins

THIS was the test for if the GOP loses:

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/07/09/wisconsin-supreme-court-oks-gop-authored-lame-duck-laws/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Overheal wrote: »

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/07/09/wisconsin-supreme-court-oks-gop-authored-lame-duck-laws/

Nothing surprises me anymore, I'm afraid. You'd actually become numb to the blatant and obvious corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Overheal wrote: »

It's further proof positive IMO that the US's version of democracy is incredibly flawed and dangerously fragile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've not heard all of it but I've heard clips of trumps interview with Chris Wallace on Fox News and I'm sorry but the guy isn't right. Something is wrong.

Trump failed to call new taoiseach Micky Martin. This is a change from normal routine when a new leader is chosen..

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-fails-to-call-ireland-premier-said-criticised-president-2020-7

MM said last year that Europe should stand up to Trump

Your 3rd line is the exact reason for your 1st line. MM didn't kiss the ring...

PropJoe10 wrote: »

He won't wait until November!

He knows he's ****ed in a free and fair election. So he is focusing on strongman tactics to try and keep his cult on-side.

These secret police tactics are straight out of the playbook of authoritarian dictators who know the bulk of the people don't support him. This is an attempt to enact the same type of situation that characterised Germany in January/February 1933.

By March of that year, the whole country was ruled as a Dictatorship...

Learn from the past, folks... Otherwise, ye/we'll repeat it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    He won't wait until November!

He knows he's ****ed in a free and fair election. So he is focusing on strongman tactics to try and keep his cult on-side.

These secret police tactics are straight out of the playbook of authoritarian dictators who know the bulk of the people don't support him. This is an attempt to enact the same type of situation that characterised Germany in January/February 1933.

By March of that year, the whole country was ruled as a Dictatorship...

Learn from the past, folks... Otherwise, ye/we'll repeat it!!

This is slightly different in that nothing riles the hard core republicans (of which a lot of his cult would be) more than even more government involvement and this would definitely fall in to the category of government forces overstepping their mark.

Hell, in the not too distant future, the NRA (and the GOP) will be using this as evidence that the 2A must not be interfered with.

Right now if I was putting money on the election, I'd go for Trump being obliterated in November but I'm not putting money on because I did that 4 years ago and lost and I still think that nefarious forces and a dramatic story breaking about Biden in Sept/October coupled with a positive scenario in relation to Covid and the economy could yet shift either swing voters, or whether or not people get out and vote.

Mark Meadows was on TV earlier and said that indictments are imminent from a completed Durham probe...

Amazing that he can predict indictments, when the report is not even finished.. Like, surely a Grand Jury would be deciding if indictments are in order, and not Trump's Chief of Staff???

Methinks, Mark needs to stay in his lane... He's no longer eligible for membership of the House frat gang, with their puerile hazing rituals and general adolescent shennanigans, now that he's wearing his adult diapers in the West Wing. The old gang comprising Gym Jordan, Matt Gaetz and himself probably need some new recruits...

He really needs to leave the wishful thinking indictments to those losers...

I have family in the United states. Two of my relations have sons in the military.
    Before the coronavirus started my dad was over in the states in holiday.
    The topic of Trump inevitably came up and my relations(Trump supporters) said if he loses the election he feels that Trump will have the support of the military to take over control of the government permanently.

They said they would support this type of coup and think its possible that certain sections have already started training for it.

Trump supporters are apparently stock piling weapons and in border states such as Texax people are buying military grade firearms from cartels

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I have family in the United states. Two of my relations have sons in the military.
    The topic of Trump inevitably came up and my relations(Trump supporters) said if he loses the election he feels that Trump will have the support of the military to take over control of the government permanently.

They said they would support this type of coup and think its possible that certain sections have already started training for it.

Trump supporters are apparently stock piling weapons and in border states such as Texax people are buying military grade firearms from cartels

There is zero chance of the US military supporting Trump in taking over the government if he loses in November. Zero, nada, zilch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

There is zero chance of the US military supporting Trump in taking over the government if he loses in November. Zero, nada, zilch.

Indeed any trump supporters who honestly believe this are beyond deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,043 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

VinLieger wrote: »
    Indeed any trump supporters who honestly believe this are beyond deluded.

tbf I think they already are tbh. I think they are tied into Trump now like a symbiotic bond and they refuse to see the truth or their world would crumble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Nonsense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement