Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provided chargers at shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

zg3409 wrote: »
    See plugshare app for photos of chargers. I presume they didn't want IKEA Customers taking their free service.

According to easygo IKEA is planning chargers with their help but installation has not started yet. Some delays are due to them moving the location of the planned chargers. The more people ring IKEA Dublin and ask the better. If IKEA have simple free chargers then decathlon will probably go activation free.

Yeah, they're a completely different unit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ikea could provide them, they choose not to, so it is indeed their fault.

Great sense of entitlement there.

IKEA chose not to install them for whatever reason, suck it up. Nobody is owed free chargers whilst they shop.

People taking the fobs from Decathalon are taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

IKEA chose not to install them for whatever reason, suck it up. Nobody is owed free chargers whilst they shop.

*sigh*

Perhaps you could point me to where I said I was entitled to them. No? Thought not.

Ikea made the decision for their own commercial reasons. At some point they may decide that it's a good idea to provide EV charging to attract more business. EV drivers would be right in their target demographic, I would have thought.

*sigh*

Perhaps you could point me to where I said I was entitled to them. No? Thought not.

Ikea made the decision for their own commercial reasons. At some point they may decide that it's a good idea to provide EV charging to attract more business. EV drivers would be right in their target demographic, I would have thought.

You said its Ikeas fault (about the Decathom fobs)?

Forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Yeah, they're a completely different unit.

They're fairly similar from a software and internal hardware point of view. Manufacturered by the same company as the Lidl units.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ikea often host chargers in UK and European stores, they appear to have avoided offering their own charging solution.

I can only imagine the reason they've not provided them yet in Dublin, is due to eCars not being interested and EasyGo being relatively new.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dropped out their in the afternoon today, and the security guard was good enough to drop over after a simple request and swipe a fob. No big deal, no drama. Shopped for about an hour and got a decent parking spot and enough charge to cover the journey on the m50 to the store and back again (though not the toll). Between my wife, daughter and I, we didn't go mad on our spending, but certainly would have covered the cost of what we gained in our charge, and we'd have no regrets travelling out to Decathlon again, particularly with the chargers offsetting some of the journey.

It does seem like there should be easier ways to do this. Our charging cables are worth (at a guess) somewhere between €50 and €350. If the charging post maintained its clamp on the charger side of the cable until you entered a key-code from your receipt (for example over the value of €15, or go into the shop and pay €10 to charge) to release the charger side of the cable, it would likely solve the problem. I know EasyGo provide the service and may not currently have the right hardware/software to facilitate that kind of arrangement), but I'm sure it's something that EasyGo are considering, and might line up in the future as it would suit their Store business model. Perhaps that kind of a handshake isn't possible, but charge credit on your receipt for your spend in a shop seems like a pretty fair business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In most of Europe Ikea provide fast chargers (50kW DC).
    In Norway they have hubs at some stores. Bjorns earlier range tests used to start and end at an ikea with (AFAIR) 4 50kW chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Was there yesterday (just to drop the kids off) and there was my twin charging (well younger brother I should say, it was a 161 pre facelift black P85D with the same wheels as mine). Not any of the regulars in here, I think?

7 new (I think) chargers on level 2 of Dundrum Town Centre. Had go in and out quickly so no idea of their power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

7 new (I think) chargers on level 2 of Dundrum Town Centre. Had go in and out quickly so no idea of their power.

These are not new, been there more than a year, branded Renault, and they need a silly app to get going, for free, see plugshare app

7kW or 22kW? If the former I'll tell herself not to bother plugging in unless the parking is really convenient.

zg3409 wrote: »
    These are not new, been there more than a year, branded Renault, and they need a silly app to get going, for free, see plugshare app

Sorry I must be blind, had not noticed them before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »
    7kW or 22kW? If the former I'll tell herself not to bother plugging in unless the parking is really convenient.

7kW according to Zap-Map

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Not sure if Zap Map is reliable. They reported the Tesco Liffey Valley charge points as 22kW while they are only 7kW (so no use if you're doing an hours shopping)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭JohnC.

From the pictures on Plugshare, the Pod Points are actually labelled 7kW. There's also some Garo's and maybe 2 ESB units you normally see on a street at 22kW pictured, but I can't see anything in the pictures to show what they actually are.

ESBs app lists their units as 22kW.

Not sure if Zap Map is reliable. They reported the Tesco Liffey Valley charge points as 22kW while they are only 7kW (so no use if you're doing an hours shopping)

They are tethered so it’s a simple plug in as you’re leaving your car, I know you find little use in low kW take on but there’s and element of comfort range take on also, plenty of folk out there who park so may as well take some lekky anyhow. If living in the area there should be a net gain in range from plugging in for your hour shop.

slave1 wrote: »
    They are tethered so it’s a simple plug in as you’re leaving your car, I know you find little use in low kW take on but there’s and element of comfort range take on also, plenty of folk out there who park so may as well take some lekky anyhow. If living in the area there should be a net gain in range from plugging in for your hour shop.

No they are not tethered! If only they were, that would make it a lot easier to go for a quick charge :-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

4 ecars spaces going in in the Pavilions in Swords......

No they are not tethered! If only they were, that would make it a lot easier to go for a quick charge :-)

Haven't been there myself, just going on the PlugShare photos which show cables, perhaps they were user cables so I got it wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

There are 3x2 pedestal pod-points and one wall unit. One socket is broken since before Christmas. They are up to 7kW and have a sort of load balancing. My car first starts charging at 2.2kW and then increases 1kW every 30 seconds or so. However, one day when it was busy didn't go faster than 3.2 kW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

Forgot to say they are free vend whatever it says on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Excuse my ignorance, but is this like free electricity?

Very fast food, ready in about 30s. Hope their chargers will deliver the same speed :p

From the article it looks like they will be DC fast chargers alright. Good call, McDonalds, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Looks like they will be DC as well based on the numbers they gave.

Very fast food, ready in about 30s. Hope their chargers will deliver the same speed :p

From the article it looks like they will be DC fast chargers alright. Good call, McDonalds, nice one.
    They have DC chargers in a lot of mcds in Scandinavia, perhaps thats expanding

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's a deal to host DC chargers with Instavolt. Based on how they work in Scandinavia, it won't be free, but they are a good location for hosting rapid chargers.

No issues with it not being free. Wouldnt expect free food, dont expect free electricity. Once it's reasonably priced (looking at you Ionity) there's no issues and it will be used.

I'd imagine the dwell time at a mcdonalds is 30-45 minutes. Perfect for a couple of 50kW dc chargers. If it's here, it will probably be easygo installing them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Assuming minut is Swedish for minute, it appears to be equivalent of 24c per minute (at current exchange rate) in that ad.

Advertisement