Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

BrentMused wrote: »

One thing I really missed was the inability to call in anywhere off the cuff for just a pint or two especially on those sunny days which was disappointing as we had booked our dates specifcally because they linked with the proposed re-opening of the pubs. Instead, because of the restrictions still being in place it felt a bit regimented at times for food and drinks but that can't be helped given the current circumstances.

Have to admit that I've enjoyed my breaks and getting to see parts of the country I hadn't seen before. Although, like yourself I really missed the spontaneity - just popping in for a pint on the way home after a day out or having a drink somewhere before going out for dinner. I wouldn't have thought I miss pubs but in those circumstances I really do. Sitting outdoors on a sunny evening, having a drink and chatting to others is a very nice way to spend your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

jos28 wrote: »
    Just back from Dungarvan/Kilmore Quay and had a great time. Hired bikes and did the Greenway, stayed in Dungarvan. Drove the Copper Coast and got the East Passage ferry over to Ballyhack, took in Hook lighthouse and then onto Kilmore Quay. Great spot with lots of lovely food.
    It's not a part of the country I'm familiar with but definitely worth the trip

We're just back from a very similar trip ourselves having stayed three nights in Dungarvan. We took in a trip into Cork one of the days and stopped in Ardmore on the way and did that walk past the Cliff House Hotel which was very nice. We went into Cobh on the way back which was also nice. Had a lovely dinner in The Tannery in Dungarvan that evening. We did part of the Greenway the next day and the weather was great for that - I ended up a bit sunburnt. We drove home via part of the Copper Coast, stopping in Tramore and Dunmore East for lunch then got the Passage East ferry and made our way down to Hook lighthouse and home via the newly extended M11.

Weather was a bit hit and miss but the food we had everywhere was very good. Still not sure I'd do a holiday here over a week or two in the sun but I do like being able to load up the car and just head off and I didn't miss the airport queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I like the sound of the waterforrd trips for a few days. Nice to hear alternatives to the west coast.
    Not a big drinker myself. Was in Dingle for a couple of nights in July and missed been able to go for one or 2 after dinner at the end of the day. Was sad to see the town dead after 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

+1 for this.

Also feel terribly guilty rocking up for a table in a cafe to have a coffee & bit if cake & seeing the desperation as they try to upsell you a full meal - the guilts not worth it.

Looking out at the lashing rain today really realise how lucky we were with our rare long hot summer - you really need a good stretch of heat every year to be able to put up with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Also feel terribly guilty rocking up for a table in a cafe to have a coffee & bit if cake & seeing the desperation as they try to upsell you a full meal - the guilts not worth it.

Think you're overthinking things a bit there...there's no bothers going for some coffee and cake anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Right, all done and back to work and school again, thought I'd just share a little of our experience here - warning long post.

Before I start I'll give a little background: I'm pro travel and on the release of the green list had booked a break to Greece, for various reasons (mostly school) we decided it was likely Greece wouldn't stay on the green list while we were there (little did we know lol), so chickened out and rescheduled the flights etc to next year. I spend most of my working life driving around Ireland, staying in hotels etc so find it doesn't feel like I'm on holiday while here, I just can't do the phone off thing, BUT it does mean I know a fair few good places around our little country and how great it can be.

We've been mad to do the Titanic experience in Belfast for some time, so with a little help from a co-worker who lives there we booked the Ivanhoe hotel in Carryduff for a night (£120) and off we went, it's lovely hotel with an amazing bar/restaurant, the weather was great and they had firepits in the outdoor area, it was like something on the med, brilliant. The Titanic experience didn't disappoint either, it's not a full day thing but kept us involved for our stay, kids included, the building itself is breathtaking.

Later in the week we visited the Carrickdale hotel (near Carlingford), not too far away from home and I'd heard good things, it was a little expensive at €249 for a family room but we felt it was worth it, the gardens are amazing, there's a great leisure centre, pool, jacuzzi, sauna etc - We all enjoyed it - heavenly!

Back home for a few days then off again to Cork, had to pull a few favours to get a family room, but eventually got one for €120 per night (was happy enough with that). Unfortunately the weather turned against us, literally on the way, we had booked Fota park for the next day (quick note: they're only booking 7 days in advance - don't assume it's sold out). The hotel was ok, it was bigger and busier than the others so there were big queues for breakfast etc.
    It was pretty damp when we visited Fota though we all still had a good time, the playgrounds are closed but there's still a good bit to do though you are limited to 3 hours in the park (not sure how strict - we were out inside that anyway). The heavens literally opened on our way to the car, we took a drive over to Cobh which was in the process of being washed away so never got out of the car :( we just went back to the hotel and to the pool there, fun still had.
    The next day we did a little drive around, visited Cobh again, all the Spike trips were sold out so we walked around for a while then went home.

The last part of the hol was a night away without the kids to a 'nice' hotel in Cavan, we rarely get away as a couple so I wanted it to be a bit special for mrs spin, upgraded room to what was described as master King at €235 including dinner, the pictures on the website were impressive, the hotel itself was lovely, we were both pretty upbeat until we got to the room, which was just a standard room! I questioned this and was told it was definitely the master King, asked to speak with the manager, they did try to argue the point but showed them a picture of their standard room and they had to agree there was little if any difference (maybe a few sq feet or maybe inches), all the plush furnishings, coffee machine etc etc that set the room apart had been removed leaving - just a normal room, they agreed to drop the upgrade charge and threw in a few drinks at dinner but couldn't help feeling a bit let down and surprised at the cheek too, apart from that all was nice, good food, few drinks and a nice time.
    Already feels like ages ago lol, despite wanting to travel we did have a good time, it wouldn't be one of the most memorable holidays we've had but definitely wasn't that bad, it felt expensive but hotels etc are generally a little better here, whether you want it or not, I'm still hoping for a bit of good weather.
    Crete next year, booked and paid for, after this hell nor high water will stop us going on a sun holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

We were in Kerry last week and the weather was unbelievable. Shorts and t-shirt weather every day.

We did the Ring of Kerry, Gap of Dunloe and Slea Head drives, was absolutely brilliant with zero tour buses and not a lot of traffic to be honest. Only problem we had traffic wise was getting down to Derrynane beach which was a nightmare. Seen a poor girl hit her car twice trying to reverse to make way for other cars!

Stayed in Killarney and the town itself was busy during peak times but I'd imagine quieter than normal for this time of year.

Any good recommendation for reasonably priced accommodation for accomodation around dingle penninsula?

I did a two night break in Cabra Castle (Cavan) a couple of weeks back, stayed in a courtyard room and really enjoyed it. Beautiful big room, and the castle was very atmospheric with two quiet visitors' lounge where I spent a short while reading. Took walks in the grounds and in nearby Dùn na Rí Forest Park, but the rain was pouring most of the time. The hotel has two lovely Irish Wolfhounds and my first encounter was when the smaller young skittish one suddenly pinched on my shoulders from the rear-thought I was being mugged for a moment!

Driving from Dublin and back home again I made sure to stop off at some nice and interesting places: Hill of Tara, Bective Abbey, the only inland lighthouse in Ireland at Kells, the high crosses there, beautiful Moynalty village, and the riverside walk at Navan.

When checking out the hotel gave me a voucher if €50 to be used for any two or more nights (From September to December) at one of the Original Hotels of Ireland, so next week I am booked into a hotel in Kilkenny for two nights which is in their listing. I have a follow-up night, €135, at the Mount Wolseley BB & 4 course dinner. In Kilkenny I booked for the Medieval Mile Museum & Reptile Zoo, and will visit the Rothe House, St Canice's Cathedral & Kilkenny Castle. In Carlow I hope to visit some of the following: Altamont Gardens, Brownshill Dolmen, Duckett's Grove, Borris, Delta Sensory Garden, Arboretum Garden Centre at Leighlinbridge, Oldleighlin cathedral, Rathwood Garden Centre.

One of my ways of finding out about what I might like to explore along the way is by typing into the search box on Google Maps: "Attractions", "Historic", "Garden" "Demesne" "Castle" "Museum" etc. I develop a route with my chosen places as waypoints where I might stop for a while or just a photo and look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

nc6000 wrote: »
    We're just back from a very similar trip ourselves having stayed three nights in Dungarvan. We took in a trip into Cork one of the days and stopped in Ardmore on the way and did that walk past the Cliff House Hotel which was very nice. We went into Cobh on the way back which was also nice. Had a lovely dinner in The Tannery in Dungarvan that evening. We did part of the Greenway the next day and the weather was great for that - I ended up a bit sunburnt. We drove home via part of the Copper Coast, stopping in Tramore and Dunmore East for lunch then got the Passage East ferry and made our way down to Hook lighthouse and home via the newly extended M11.

Weather was a bit hit and miss but the food we had everywhere was very good. Still not sure I'd do a holiday here over a week or two in the sun but I do like being able to load up the car and just head off and I didn't miss the airport queues.

We ate in The Tannery too, really enjoyed it. I'd definitely go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

Would usually go abroad ourselves (in fact had a family trip to Japan cancelled in April. :-( ) but had a gorgeous week in Waterford the week before last (even with Storm Ellen striking while we were there. :eek: )

We got a huge 4 bed house on Airbnb for the week (€940), cooked in/takeaway each night (€350 for the week), went to a different beach everyday (€0), did the Greenway for a day (€40) and generally had a gorgeous week just chilling.
    We have the use of a house near Bordeaux for free, and even with that there is no way we would get a holiday there for the guts of €1300 in August.

I think we got incredibly lucky to get the holiday for the price we did, but when we were looking in May time, there was lots of accommodation in Waterford Greenway area at that price point.

The Greenway is so picturesque and such an amenity. The kids loved the tunnel too! would highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭quokula

Had a great staycation last week in the south west having never done it before, easy to see why so many people visit Ireland from all over the world in a normal year. Excellent hospitality, great food, beautiful scenery, even the weather gave us a few hours of sunshine every day, though there were rainy periods too.

The ease of just throwing our gear into our own car and taking it with us was a bonus too. Would definitely do it again in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Off to Achill Island for 3 days camping tomorrow (Tuesday) can’t wait, the camping park looks class. Long ass drive but well worth it I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Off to Achill Island for 3 days camping tomorrow (Tuesday) can’t wait, the camping park looks class. Long ass drive but well worth it I’d say.

Keel beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I did a two night break in Cabra Castle (Cavan) a couple of weeks back, stayed in a courtyard room and really enjoyed it. Beautiful big room, and the castle was very atmospheric with two quiet visitors' lounge where I spent a short while reading. Took walks in the grounds and in nearby Dùn na Rí Forest Park, but the rain was pouring most of the time. The hotel has two lovely Irish Wolfhounds and my first encounter was when the smaller young skittish one suddenly pinched on my shoulders from the rear-thought I was being mugged for a moment!

Driving from Dublin and back home again I made sure to stop off at some nice and interesting places: Hill of Tara, Bective Abbey, the only inland lighthouse in Ireland at Kells, the high crosses there, beautiful Moynalty village, and the riverside walk at Navan.

When checking out the hotel gave me a voucher if €50 to be used for any two or more nights (From September to December) at one of the Original Hotels of Ireland, so next week I am booked into a hotel in Kilkenny for two nights which is in their listing. I have a follow-up night, €135, at the Mount Wolseley BB & 4 course dinner. In Kilkenny I booked for the Medieval Mile Museum & Reptile Zoo, and will visit the Rothe House, St Canice's Cathedral & Kilkenny Castle. In Carlow I hope to visit some of the following: Altamont Gardens, Brownshill Dolmen, Duckett's Grove, Borris, Delta Sensory Garden, Arboretum Garden Centre at Leighlinbridge, Oldleighlin cathedral, Rathwood Garden Centre.

One of my ways of finding out about what I might like to explore along the way is by typing into the search box on Google Maps: "Attractions", "Historic", "Garden" "Demesne" "Castle" "Museum" etc. I develop a route with my chosen places as waypoints where I might stop for a while or just a photo and look around.

Just another tip for Kilkenny based on what you seem to be interested in seeing. Check out the Butler Gallery. Only recently opened to the public, beautifully restored, and they have a cafe and courtyard area also.

https://www.butlergallery.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Any good recommendation for reasonably priced accommodation for accomodation around dingle penninsula?

Not a clue to be honest, sorry. We stayed in the Killarney Oaks Hotel and based ourselves there for the 4 days. It was about an hour drive to Dingle and we spent the entire day driving around the Peninsula and back to Killarney for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭josip

Stayed in Meadowlands for a weekend a couple of weeks ago.
    Happy enough with it.
    Nothing exceptional, but decent value.
    Slightly closer than Killarney to the Dingle peninsula

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

mickey15ie wrote: »

Should be lots of airbnbs available now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

bladespin wrote: »
    Works out about one and a half times the price from my experience, not quite as crazy as you’d imagine but can’t help feeling hard done by when it’s wet.

That's the issue.

I did four lake swims this summer as I was determined to get some non-swimming pool water action happening this year. Well four attempted swims. One was successful. It was 20 degrees and very pleasant but completely overcast.

The other three. Well. One day was sunny but very cool and with a stiff breeze so was not pleasant. The other two, sun was promised but did not materialise. Dank and dreary.

I know I've lived in Ireland almost my whole life and should be used to the weather, but it really would drive you to despair how little we can depend on it.

The Barcelona and Los Angeles Olympics both held their swim meets in an outdoor pool. Imagine living in a country with so reliable a climate that you can make plans like that? One can but dream.

That's the issue.

I did four lake swims this summer as I was determined to get some non-swimming pool water action happening this year. Well four attempted swims. One was successful. It was 20 degrees and very pleasant but completely overcast.

The other three. Well. One day was sunny but very cool and with a stiff breeze so was not pleasant. The other two, sun was promised but did not materialise. Dank and dreary.

I know I've lived in Ireland almost my whole life and should be used to the weather, but it really would drive you to despair how little we can depend on it.

The Barcelona and Los Angeles Olympics both held their swim meets in an outdoor pool. Imagine living in a country with so reliable a climate that you can make plans like that? One can but dream.

I was swimming every day in Kerry and it was so amazing. I really miss it.

I think its funny how Irish people are constantly disappointed that we dont have mediterranean weather :D Lived in Finland for a few years, midsummer and winter are fine but October-December and April-May are absolutely shocking. Id pick Irish weather any time.

+1 for this.

Looking out at the lashing rain today really realise how lucky we were with our rare long hot summer - you really need a good stretch of heat every year to be able to put up with the rest.

Which summer was that? :confused:

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    I was swimming every day in Kerry and it was so amazing. I really miss it.

I think its funny how Irish people are constantly disappointed that we dont have mediterranean weather :D Lived in Finland for a few years, midsummer and winter are fine but October-December and April-May are absolutely shocking. Id pick Irish weather any time.

When you are stuck in the country for the summer, I think that frustration and disappointment is justified! Other years, it's less acute because you know you can get your sunny fix elsewhere.

When you are stuck in the country for the summer, I think that frustration and disappointment is justified! Other years, it's less acute because you know you can get your sunny fix elsewhere.

Ah well I know it gets to some people. We had planned to go to France this year. too. But other than that my last foreign holiday was in June 2016 and I dont miss it too much quite honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Why does that matter so much.... you're spending time in a different medium, away from it all (unless its stormy).

no.8 wrote: »
    Why does that matter so much.... you're spending time in a different medium, away from it all (unless its stormy).

One of my best holidays was January 2014 in the West in the middle of the storms. I have amazing photos from that trip.

To me the worst weather is the grey misty rainy fog that descends on the West at times. Often when the rest of the country is basking in sunshine.

Ah well I know it gets to some people. We had planned to go to France this year. too. But other than that my last foreign holiday was in June 2016 and I dont miss it too much quite honestly.

Well, I'm actually a pretty well-travelled-in-Ireland person. My parents really believed in knowing the country you live in. We were brought so many places and still are when we visit my parents. They love exploring. I know how beautiful Ireland is and I really appreciate its natural splendour. I just love warmth, sun and different landscapes too.
    no.8 wrote: »

Because I enjoy sun and warmth. Obvs.

Those dreary days were also not as warm as they were promised.

One of my best holidays was January 2014 in the West in the middle of the storms. I have amazing photos from that trip.

To me the worst weather is the grey misty rainy fog that descends on the West at times. Often when the rest of the country is basking in sunshine.

Yup. And having grown up in the west of Ireland, that's the kind of rain that is most common in Ireland, that dreary drizzle or mist. I love dramatic rainstorms but we don't even get those very often. We can't even do rain right. :P The best, most dramatic rainstorm I was ever caught in was in Corfu, Greece. The rain was running over my feet in the street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Can anyone sum up the 20% off incentive or whatever it is that the government are offering to people staycationing between now and next.... April is it ?

Have heard it on the radio today but didn't catch it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Can anyone sum up the 20% off incentive or whatever it is that the government are offering to people staycationing between now and next.... April is it ?

There's a thread for it - jump to last page:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058098631

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

CBear1993 wrote: »

As far as I know. Keep your food and accommodation receipts. If it’s above threshold you get 20% back up to max of 250 for married couple. Claim via revenue same as health expenses etc.

We had already booked centerparcs. This will help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Keel beach?

Yes indeed, late getting back to you as I was too busy driving lol Amazing place so far

Advertisement