Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Staying in the Roe Park Resort. It seems to have a few things there that you can do. Will head to the Giants Causeway one of the days

If you're up in NI in August on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday dont forget the Eat Out to Help Out scheme- basically spend £20 in a participating restaurant and your bill will be £10. Max discount is £10 per person so a family of four could order £80 of food and end up paying £40 at the till.

On the Causeway if the day you plan to go is in any way sunny Id advise going as late in the day as possible. By that I mean about 1.5 hours before sunset, this is because the sun setting in the west lights up the stone cliffs in a beautiful hue of orange. And also because you should have the entire site to yourself at that time, when we went at sunset we were literally the only people there so it was pretty special. Its very different during the day when its busy with crowds. Also by going late you dont have to pay for the visitor car park,its free after the attendant knocks off work, probably about 6pm or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Almost finished a Kerry trip. If anyone loves driving, there's no better time to do it, with no buses and numbers being so low.
    The Ballaghbeama gap is a one-car wide road like a trip to Jurassic World, and better even than the Gap of Dunloe. The Ring of Kerry and Dingle peninsula also easy to get round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Almost finished a Kerry trip. If anyone loves driving, there's no better time to do it, with no buses and numbers being so low.
    The Ballaghbeama gap is a one-car wide road like a trip to Jurassic World, and better even than the Gap of Dunloe. The Ring of Kerry and Dingle peninsula also easy to get round.

We were in Kerry last week and the weather was unbelievable. Shorts and t-shirt weather every day.

We did the Ring of Kerry, Gap of Dunloe and Slea Head drives, was absolutely brilliant with zero tour buses and not a lot of traffic to be honest. Only problem we had traffic wise was getting down to Derrynane beach which was a nightmare. Seen a poor girl hit her car twice trying to reverse to make way for other cars!

Stayed in Killarney and the town itself was busy during peak times but I'd imagine quieter than normal for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Yeah, Derrynane was very busy for us too - it seemed to be mostly locals going to the beach. And the Muckross part of the national park was busy too, but overall pretty quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

soap1978 wrote: »
    staycation why not just say a holiday in your own country,I cringe at this

Yeah the term is a bit silly.
    Strictly speaking a staycation originally meant staying at home and taking day trips.

Having a holiday in Ireland is just that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staycation#:~:text=A%20staycation%20(a%20portmanteau%20of,does%20not%20require%20overnight%20accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

They are all at it Clifden...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Off to the west for a few more days holidays. Let's hope we're not blown out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭quokula

joe40 wrote: »
    Yeah the term is a bit silly.
    Strictly speaking a staycation originally meant staying at home and taking day trips.

Having a holiday in Ireland is just that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staycation#:~:text=A%20staycation%20(a%20portmanteau%20of,does%20not%20require%20overnight%20accommodation.

From the article you linked:
    in British English the term became associated with taking a holiday in one's own country as opposed to travelling abroad

A large proportion of Americans don't leave their country when they go on regular holidays to begin with - calling a trip from Seattle to Florida a staycation would be ludicrous, so of course it means staying at home in the context of the US.

It makes much more sense as a term for a holiday in your own country here, where people would normally go to Spain or wherever. It's clearly been a pretty standard and widely used term here for some time and everybody understands what it means, and that's how language works, so you can't really dispute its validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Was looking at going to Dingle Cottages (part of Dingle Skellig Hotel) - they must be doing ok, as their prices are currently higher than their official 2020 rates.

524002.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Just back from Dungarvan/Kilmore Quay and had a great time. Hired bikes and did the Greenway, stayed in Dungarvan. Drove the Copper Coast and got the East Passage ferry over to Ballyhack, took in Hook lighthouse and then onto Kilmore Quay. Great spot with lots of lovely food.
    It's not a part of the country I'm familiar with but definitely worth the trip

Was looking at going to Dingle Cottages (part of Dingle Skellig Hotel) - they must be doing ok, as their prices are currently higher than their official 2020 rates.

524002.png

There was never a doubt “staycation” wouldn’t be used as a further excuse to gouge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We went to Ballyliffin last week, on the Inishowen peninsula. Plenty to see around that area, and also took the ferry to NI from Greencastle and drove to the Giants Causeway. Ballyliffin hotel was perfect, €90 per room per night b&b, for both of us was excellent value. Great bar food in the evenings too, and a good pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

Never Again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Have a few days booked off in September ( partially from my cancelled holiday to Portugal..... Thanks Irish government) but between the pissing rain, the excessive expense, no wet pub's open and the total lack of spontaneity, I've no intention of booking anything. I'll keep my money and hopefully, all going ok, book two trips to the Algarve in 2021..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Have a few days booked off in September ( partially from my cancelled holiday to Portugal..... Thanks Irish government) but between the pissing rain, the excessive expense, no wet pub's open and the total lack of spontaneity, I've no intention of booking anything. I'll keep my money and hopefully, all going ok, book two trips to the Algarve in 2021..

Why not try somewhere other than the Algarve?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

We did a few hotel breaks with the kids over the summer, they were grand, kids enjoyed it. Next summer will take 4 weeks off and go to whatever green list sunny country is going!!

Why not try somewhere other than the Algarve?

Just love it there tbh. Locals are very friendly. Weather is generally fantastic. Food and drink are reasonably priced. I like parts of Spain too, but just prefer Portugal..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Can't imagine how expensive a staycation here is with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

bigpink wrote: »

Depends on how you do it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

bigpink wrote: »

Works out about one and a half times the price from my experience, not quite as crazy as you’d imagine but can’t help feeling hard done by when it’s wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I onow a few who have done it - eyewatering prices to rent self contained houses up boreens in the middle of nowhere with no local shops or facilities or amenities - they might as well have stayed at hime andnirdered reataurant food in 3 times a day and gotna cleaner - much cheaper & no travelling!

A friend bioked a family room inna hotel out weat - 5 of them sleeping in one room for 3 nights and basically a mortgage payment for it and the food bills for 5 involved,”. Not allowed sit in the bat or lounge (closed) and had to sut in their room or go outside ( raining) to be away from the room. Bit of an expensive disaster it seems - and a 5 hour drive in a car each way :0

Ryanair is there and a huge commercial success for a reason! Next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I onow a few who have done it - eyewatering prices to rent self contained houses up boreens in the middle of nowhere with no local shops or facilities or amenities - they might as well have stayed at hime andnirdered reataurant food in 3 times a day and gotna cleaner - much cheaper & no travelling!

A friend bioked a family room inna hotel out weat - 5 of them sleeping in one room for 3 nights and basically a mortgage payment for it and the food bills for 5 involved,â€. Not allowed sit in the bat or lounge (closed) and had to sut in their room or go outside ( raining) to be away from the room. Bit of an expensive disaster it seems - and a 5 hour drive in a car each way :0

Ryanair is there and a huge commercial success for a reason! Next year...

Yet they knew exactly what they were getting themselves in for and you conveniently forget to add that travelling to most crowded resorts in Europe takes well over 5 hours door to door.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

fletch wrote:
    Never Again

'Thanks Irish Government'? A dig sty your federal employers or some message about restrictions?

no.8 wrote: »
    'Thanks Irish Government'? A dig sty your federal employers or some message about restrictions?

A dig at the so called green list. I've a better chance of picking up the virus in Limerick or Dublin then I do sitting by the pool in Portugal. And didn't receive any refund either........
    I believe we need to live as close to normal as possible beside this virus. That includes holidays IMO. But it is what it is. I'm fully aware mine is a first world problem. But if I'm allowed I fully intend to make up for it next year. I just find Ireland is too expensive for a staycation, not to mention the crappy weather ( another rainfall warning today). So I guess I'm writing off 2020.... And I reckon there's a lot more like me. ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

A dig at the so called green list. I've a better chance of picking up the virus in Limerick or Dublin then I do sitting by the pool in Portugal. And didn't receive any refund either........
    I believe we need to live as close to normal as possible beside this virus. That includes holidays IMO. But it is what it is. I'm fully aware mine is a first world problem. But if I'm allowed I fully intend to make up for it next year. I just find Ireland is too expensive for a staycation, not to mention the crappy weather ( another rainfall warning today). So I guess I'm writing off 2020.... And I reckon there's a lot more like me. ......

Exactly this, the travel restrictions we have are draconian compared to the rest of Europe and are there because of our crappie health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I wont be doing a holiday in Ireland ever again tbh.
    Ive said that a few times now :)
    But sometimes you have no choice. Like when there is a pandemic.
    Otherwise its the holiday abroad for me from here on in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I hear what you're saying. I was just making the point that I drove through Derry on my way to limavady and the flags were everywhere. It was just the start of the uncomfortable feeling that I felt there for the weekend. I totally realise some people can brush that off and ignore it, but personally I didn't feel very welcome up there. I was even cautious of where I parked my car. But best of luck to the person who is travelling there, I hope they really enjoy it and see the sights they've been looking forward to.

Absolutely everyone’s feeling is personal to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Just love it there tbh. Locals are very friendly. Weather is generally fantastic. Food and drink are reasonably priced. I like parts of Spain too, but just prefer Portugal..

Fair enough. I think you're missing out by limiting yourself to the same place, but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

We did a week in the west at the end of July/start of August.

The weather was fantastic so we were very lucky. Only one day was a wash out which ended up being a day we were a bit too tired to do much anyway and the rest was shorts and t-shirt weather for the most part.

We started off in Doolin - visited Father Ted's house, took a boat trip for a day trip to Inish Mor and did the Cliffs of Moher. We then went down to Dingle and did the Fungi boat trip and Slea Head drive with plenty of stops which was spectacular especially with the weather and we basically had the entire road to ourselves. Next was down to west Cork (Clonakility) with a stop in Killarney along the way. We also visited Baltimore, Rosscarbery and Kinsale.

Covered about 1,500km all in.

We went the Air BnB route and got some relatively decent deals although all-in the whole holiday probably cost us about 1.5 times what we would have spent for the same abroad.

One thing I really missed was the inability to call in anywhere off the cuff for just a pint or two especially on those sunny days which was disappointing as we had booked our dates specifcally because they linked with the proposed re-opening of the pubs. Instead, because of the restrictions still being in place it felt a bit regimented at times for food and drinks but that can't be helped given the current circumstances.

If we had the option to go abroad we never would have holidayed in Ireland this year but overall we enjoyed it although I do appreciate we got lucky with weather and it would have been a bit of a write off if we had gone say last week instead.

Advertisement