Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Not booking Ireland, hoping towards the end of the year travel might be safer but happy to hold off if not. Have taken some time off in December and have somewhere we want to go so will book if it’s looking better.

Not one person I spoke to made me want to book an Irish holiday. So I’ll keep my money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Would love to be confident of booking somewhere without fear of having to cancel a month out. Not fun or fair with a 3 year old who'd be so excited to go on holidays. Went to Co. Mayo at the end of Summer 2020 and loved every minute of it.

Very much so fed up with Lockdowns. In October I upgraded the car from a boy racer Civic to a family bus Kia so have all the room and comfort for trips and haven't been anywhere. Would usually be out the door by 9.30am every Sunday morning and not back to 6pm, hard looking at four walls and out the window at the rain.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

We have booked a week camping in the west of Ireland in July. I have 2 vouchers to use from cancelled bookings in 2020 - In Wexford and Donegal. Hoping to get a 2 night stay in Wexford as soon as any restriction is lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭appledrop

I've booked a week in hotel in Ireland.

Last year we got caught out + everywhere was booked so only got away for 2 nights.

Hotel good option as can cancel within 24 hours.

Obviously if we can go away I'll be on that plane in flash but can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

If you're booking hotels, is any payment required before arrival these days? I would really like to book something but everything feels so unstable still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭appledrop

strandroad wrote: »
    If you're booking hotels, is any payment required before arrival these days? I would really like to book something but everything feels so unstable still.

I just booked directly with hotel. Don't use any sites like booking. com etc and make sure rate with hotel is cancellation one and not prepaid one. I never find very much in difference in price anyway.

Haven't paid a penny they just take your credit card but nothing charged until time you stay + cancellation usually up to 48 or 24 h before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

A small group of us have just booked 9 days away in the west, taking in the August bank holiday for an extra day. Inis Meain, Clifden and Westport. We have houses rented apart from Inis Meain where doing some "glamping" in these pod yokes. Everything is free cancellation so we just have to sit tight now and hope we can go! No intention of going abroad this year, unless I can get to London to visit some friends and family. Too much unknown in terms of travel and getting airline refunds & vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

cee_jay wrote: »
    We have booked a week camping in the west of Ireland in July. I have 2 vouchers to use from cancelled bookings in 2020 - In Wexford and Donegal. Hoping to get a 2 night stay in Wexford as soon as any restriction is lifted.

I would never book camping in Ireland more than a few days in advance.
    If it rains there is nothing more miserable than camping in Ireland :)
    If it doesnt rain it can be great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I would never book camping in Ireland more than a few days in advance.
    If it rains there is nothing more miserable than camping in Ireland :)
    If it doesnt rain it can be great fun.

Is it the case that most camp sites are done on a first come first serve basis still? That places don't really take bookings as the chance of no shows owing to weather are pretty high.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Is it the case that most camp sites are done on a first come first serve basis still? That places don't really take bookings as the chance of no shows owing to weather are pretty high.

Most of them encourage you to book in advance, to get your money if it rains :)

Ive never known one not to make room for a walk-in though. And even if there was no room, there are surely loads of other campsites near by.
    Camping is great fun and we go a lot, but you need the weather to be nice. If i saw it was going to rain I would just stay home and let them keep the money if id actually booked in advance, which i only got caught out with once.
    And a lot of people do that.

The chances of rain in Ireland are very high. Its one thing being in a hotel when its lashing rain for the weekend. You dont want to be stuck in a tent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's difficult to book a holiday in Ireland long term in advance, with confidence, as the enjoyment of the holiday usually is weather dependent.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

We're going to rent a chalet again in Kerry, in the wife's home place. Basic enough, cooking and sleeping is all we'll do there. Last year, we were on the beach every day. Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

finbarrk wrote: »
    It's difficult to book a holiday in Ireland long term in advance, with confidence, as the enjoyment of the holiday usually is weather dependent.

This isn't true.

This isn't true.

Oh yes it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I had an amazing couple weeks roadtripping around Ireland last summer, we were blessed with the weather and did mostly outdoor/nature activities. It was something I'd wanted to do for years and it was actually great to finally find the time.

However, the thought of doing it for the second year in a row is a bit depressing if I'm being honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Based on the miserable and expensive experience of some of my friends last year, nope is my answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Kerry25x wrote: »
    I had an amazing couple weeks roadtripping around Ireland last summer, we were blessed with the weather and did mostly outdoor/nature activities. It was something I'd wanted to do for years and it was actually great to finally find the time.

However, the thought of doing it for the second year in a row is a bit depressing if I'm being honest.

I have to admit I feel the same. The optimist in me is hesitant to admit it!! I love an outdoorsy holiday and wouldn't necessarily be going for traditional sun destinations but I do love going abroad. Loved my irish holiday last year, so much so i want to do at least one full week in Ireland in future, previously would have done a few days maximum. Either going to make the best of it in ireland for 2021 and looking forward to 2022 holidays both in ireland and further afield.

Minier81 wrote: »
    I have to admit I feel the same. The optimist in me is hesitant to admit it!! I love an outdoorsy holiday and wouldn't necessarily be going for traditional sun destinations but I do love going abroad. Loved my irish holiday last year, so much so i want to do at least one full week in Ireland in future, previously would have done a few days maximum. Either going to make the best of it in ireland for 2021 and looking forward to 2022 holidays both in ireland and further afield.

But what was the weather like though?
    I have taken my 2 week summer holiday in Ireland 3 times now.
    Twice it was raining for at least half of it if not more. On the nice days we were wondering why we dont do it every year. On the bad days we discover why :)

And once it was glorious for the whole holiday (last summer).
    We just dont enjoy holidays when the weather is against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

JimmyVik wrote: »
    But what was the weather like though?
    I have taken my 2 week summer holiday in Ireland 3 times now.
    Twice it was raining for at least half of it if not more. On the nice days we were wondering why we dont do it every year. On the bad days we discover why :)

And once it was glorious for the whole holiday (last summer).
    We just dont enjoy holidays when the weather is against us.

The weather was a mix for our holidays last year. Overall it was good, a few rainy mornings or afternoons, and then other times fabulous weather for eating 99s in the sun and on the beach. The sort of places I've gone on summer holidays have been similar though for weather. I know those sort of holidays aren't for everyone but the Mediterranean every year isn't for me! We already had appropriate outdoorsy wet wear so were prepared for all eventualities. No if it actually pee-ed rain all day for r a whole week I would be annoyed, but that is a rarity over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We always bring wetsuits with us on holiday. Very easy to turn a wet day or two into surfing lessons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,850 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Planning on Lahinch for a week with the kids. Will do surfing school, kayaking, horse riding, wall climbing and visit a few areas.

Will camp in West Galway for a long weekend. Also have a caravan so will spend many a weekend in Wicklow and go to the beach there.

Had a great time last year, kids had a ball

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The wall climbing was closed because of the restrictions during the summer. You probably know the area but fanore is a great beach if it's polluted or tide is in on Lahinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Planning on Lahinch for a week with the kids. Will do surfing school, kayaking, horse riding, wall climbing and visit a few areas.

Will camp in West Galway for a long weekend. Also have a caravan so will spend many a weekend in Wicklow and go to the beach there.

Had a great time last year, kids had a ball

You might meet this fellow there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxchJAodhzQ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not this year, looking back at last year it was an awful waste of money, the hotels were overpriced, overbooked and restricted in what they could offer and the same could be said of any amenities that were open, it was pretty crap and easily forgotten tbh, haven't heard any of the family lament them the way they normally would - assport is up to date and 'm waiting for the gates to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Holohan's comments wouldn't exactly inspire confidence we'll be allowed outside our locality during summer. Thought I misheard it yesterday unfortunately not

"Holohan’s announcement managed to cause further anxiety. Few people expected to be swanning off to Ibiza this summer, but now the spectre of only being allowed to visit beaches in our own localities has been raised, meaning you may have to forget about that staycation you had planned outside your own county"

Body blow after body blow is an odd way to rally the troops. We need a plan
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/body-blow-after-body-blow-is-an-odd-way-to-rally-the-troops-we-need-a-plan-40044766.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I have no problem with holidaying in Ireland once the weather is good. Did 4 different breaks last Summer. Donegal, Waterford, Aran Islands and Killarney. But they were all done after consulting the advance weather forecast. And it will be the same for us this Summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Didnt do it last year and wont be doing it again this year, the crap weather, cost involved in staying here as opposed to abroad, not a chance, ill get my tests done, go on holiday, come home,isolate for 5 days, get another test done and get on with life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Holohan's comments wouldn't exactly inspire confidence we'll be allowed outside our locality during summer. Thought I misheard it yesterday unfortunately not

"Holohan’s announcement managed to cause further anxiety. Few people expected to be swanning off to Ibiza this summer, but now the spectre of only being allowed to visit beaches in our own localities has been raised, meaning you may have to forget about that staycation you had planned outside your own county"

Body blow after body blow is an odd way to rally the troops. We need a plan
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/body-blow-after-body-blow-is-an-odd-way-to-rally-the-troops-we-need-a-plan-40044766.html

I for one am glad i ignored the "advice" from NPHET last year and went away for a few days abroad in the sun, it done me the absolute world of good, it was constanly raining here at the time and it was just constant doom and gloom from Holohan same as it is now no let up the man really does seem to thrive on the misery of it all,i came home, i didnt go anywhere at all for around 2 weeks even though you didnt have to at the time,and i felt all the better for it physically and mentally.

i'll certainly be ignoring the scaremongering again this summer and doing the same, by then a large amont will be vaccinated and Holohans words will fall on deaf ears to a lot of the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,850 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I for one am glad i ignored the "advice" from NPHET last year and went away for a few days abroad in the sun, it done me the absolute world of good, it was constanly raining here at the time and it was just constant doom and gloom from Holohan same as it is now no let up the man really does seem to thrive on the misery of it all,i came home, i didnt go anywhere at all for around 2 weeks even though you didnt have to at the time,and i felt all the better for it physically and mentally.

i'll certainly be ignoring the scaremongering again this summer and doing the same, by then a large amont will be vaccinated and Holohans words will fall on deaf ears to a lot of the general public.

Will cost you extra this year for your test in and out, then a fine on the way back and quarantine in your own home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭josip

Will cost you extra this year for your test in and out, then a fine on the way back and quarantine in your own home.

While there will probably be tests, there won't be fines for travel come summer.

Advertisement