Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

mel123 wrote: »
    I wont be doing it again. Have been away twice during the pandemic so far. Once end of July and then last weekend.

Hotels charging ridiculous amounts of money, even higher than before, and most amenities are not available to paying guests, if anything the rates should be reduced! Prices on the menus all gone up as well, funny how all the starters are gone up to 9 euro. Having to plan exactly when i want my breakfast, lunch and dinner, when i want to go for a swim etc is not my idea of a holiday. I dont sit in a bar getting plastered, but id like to be able to sit and people watch in peace over a drink and decide when I want to go bed.

Was away in killKenny there myself and herself. Had a nice meal in the hotel around 8, spent well. Asked the waiter if we could return later around closing for a few drinks in the residents bar, No was the emphatic answer unless we had another feed then we could. No spa open, nothing not my idea of relaxing at all. That and the constant tension in case you are not following the yellow arrows in shops, the fun is nearly all gone out of it for me best summed up by the lonely piano in the corner with the big sign "PLEASE DON'T PLAY" on the fall board

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

mel123 wrote: »
    I wont be doing it again. Have been away twice during the pandemic so far. Once end of July and then last weekend.

Hotels charging ridiculous amounts of money, even higher than before, and most amenities are not available to paying guests, if anything the rates should be reduced! Prices on the menus all gone up as well, funny how all the starters are gone up to 9 euro. Having to plan exactly when i want my breakfast, lunch and dinner, when i want to go for a swim etc is not my idea of a holiday. I dont sit in a bar getting plastered, but id like to be able to sit and people watch in peace over a drink and decide when I want to go bed.

Was away in killKenny there myself and herself. Had a nice meal in the hotel around 8, spent well. Asked the waiter if we could return later around closing for a few drinks in the residents bar, No was the emphatic answer unless we had another feed then we could. No spa open, nothing not my idea of relaxing at all. That and the constant tension in case you are not following the yellow arrows in shops, the fun is nearly all gone out of it for me best summed up by the lonely piano in the corner with the big sign "PLEASE DON'T PLAY" on the fall board

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Does this evenings news rule out holidays this weekend for Dubliners?

Was due to go to Belfast soon but holding out but seems to change week by week

Not from anything I’ve seen anyway. No travel restrictions.

That said, from what they’re saying they could well be in place before the weekend (L3).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

We thought about it about 4 weeks ago. We live in Dublin so considered Galway, Donegal or Kerry for 4 nights. Went online and started to gather prices and got a shock. The 4 night stay was gonna cost over 1,000 yo yo. Decided that we wouldn't pay that much and more when we get there to sit and look out at the rain. Saved the money and put it off a holiday next year to Portugal or Spain. Rip off republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Patser

Living in Kildare, and having cancelled 2 trips due to the LOK lockdown, making a break for Dingle tomorrow- and delighted with the fact that the weeks we cancelled in August were hit with red level storms and now in September we seem to have a great week ahead.

Got what looks like a great self catering deal in centre of town, 10 years since I've been down, so looking forward to seeing what I remember and what's changed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Not from anything I’ve seen anyway. No travel restrictions.

That said, from what they’re saying they could well be in place before the weekend (L3).

Travel outside Dublin

There is strong advice for people in Dublin to stay within the county.

Anyone living in Dublin is being advised to limit travel outside the region, and only meet one other household when outside the county.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0915/1165333-dublin-covid-restrictions/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I was wondering the same. We had already postponed our wedding, which was supposed to be this weekend. We're buying a house and we were hoping last week that we'd get the keys this Friday, but it's looking less and less likely. So I was thinking maybe we'd have a last minute weekend "away" instead of all that.

However...

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0915/1165231-covid-19-plan/
    The Tánaiste has said people in Dublin are being strongly discouraged from travelling outside the county unless they really have to for work or to care for others.

Speaking on RTÉ's Prime Time this evening, Leo Varadkar said the Government is appealing to people in Dublin not to make "discretionary journeys" outside the capital.

I know it's not illegal, but I'm also very aware that cases are starting to skyrocket in Dublin. I want to act responsibly (I think we all need to), so no weekend away for me :(

2020 is a sh1tshow of a year and 2021 isn't set to look much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

People complaining about having to book meals/swim times is not really a staycation issue, more of a pandemic issue, so not really relevant in post pandemic times.
    People complaining about rip off republic and the prices of accommodation/eating out, the minimum wage in Spain is 63% of ours (as of July 2019). Would you be happy to take a 37% pay cut to bring our prices in line with Spain?
    People complaining about the weather are absolutely justified :D Unless you can take holidays at very short notice, it really is impossible to plan a holiday in Ireland and guarantee good weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

We thought about it about 4 weeks ago. We live in Dublin so considered Galway, Donegal or Kerry for 4 nights. Went online and started to gather prices and got a shock. The 4 night stay was gonna cost over 1,000 yo yo. Decided that we wouldn't pay that much and more when we get there to sit and look out at the rain. Saved the money and put it off a holiday next year to Portugal or Spain. Rip off republic.

For how many people?

• Advertisement

They are doing good autumn deals in the Caisléan Oirr in Annaghry near Donegal Airport. Lovely area too, nice for walks and an easy day trip to Aranmore Island. I've flown in there a couple of occasions during non-Covid times and hired a car, always felt like going abroad. I'm sure there are plenty of other little places too Offering value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Considering travelling somewhere within Ireland for two nights, but worried about our county being put on the higher 'Level 3'. If we were to book a hotel and then faced a local lockdown, I assume that's just...tough ****...and we'd lose our money?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A lot of places will offer free cancellation up to the day before you travel now or you can ask them before you book. They might let you move to a later date if there was another lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Last week went to Whitford House Hotel Wexford (a family operation since early '60s). Out Mon back Fri. 4 x nights B&B for 2 total €424. Large balcony room with all you needed. One way system on stairs/corridors. Breakfast table service but great selection and nothing too much trouble. Had to give times for breakfast & then each morning got a time for dinner usually either the time we wanted or within 30 mins either way of it. Mains were huge so we usually just had a main each & few drinks. Mains averaged €16-22. Generally spent €60-70 each night. All staff masked all time. Sanitizers everywhere (even santized pen before handing to you). Staff on door all time checking who was coming/going. Felt safe and very comfortable with the place overall.

Wexford itself also lived up to it's sunny s/east reputation. Had a few outdoor coffee/cake in town and visited Kennedy Arboretum, Johnstown Castle & gardens, Kilmore Quay, Curracloe & Rosslare beaches & did the tour of Hook lighthouse on the way home (one to recommend).

Very happy with the value and experience overall.

Travel outside Dublin

There is strong advice for people in Dublin to stay within the county.

Anyone living in Dublin is being advised to limit travel outside the region, and only meet one other household when outside the county.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0915/1165333-dublin-covid-restrictions/

Advice, not instruction. That's likely to change to the latter tomorrow but for now it's still advice.

Advice means you can go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Advice, not instruction. That's likely to change to the latter tomorrow but for now it's still advice.

Advice means you can go ahead.

After whats happened in Tullamore it will defo not be advisable for the next couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

After whats happened in Tullamore it will defo not be advisable for the next couple of weeks

What happened in Tullamore?
    Never mind. I found it. Outbreak in a hotel.

Did you see yer man from the hotel in Rosslare on Prime Time last night.
    "Will you be turning away people from Dublin?"

"eh, eh , eh , thats up to the government and the individual"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

I'm heading to the Clonakilty Park Hotel for 5 days in October. Has anyine been recently and have any feedback on the hotel and/or general area. We got a self catering house and are a family of four.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It's a tough decision. I have booked a few hotels down along south coast for early October (in 3rd week of Dublin restriction) and some were booked on booking.com with no refund. I will lose a fair few quid if I don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭fits

It's a tough decision. I have booked a few hotels down along south coast for early October (in 3rd week of Dublin restriction) and some were booked on booking.com with no refund. I will lose a fair few quid if I don't go.

I wouldn’t book anything on non flexible terms these days. Booking.com might refund you with the restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Patser

Patser wrote: »
    Living in Kildare, and having cancelled 2 trips due to the LOK lockdown, making a break for Dingle tomorrow- and delighted with the fact that the weeks we cancelled in August were hit with red level storms and now in September we seem to have a great week ahead.

Got what looks like a great self catering deal in centre of town, 10 years since I've been down, so looking forward to seeing what I remember and what's changed

Just home, and had a genuinely fantastic time. Of course we were absolutely blessed with the weather, so beaches like Clogher strand for silence and scenery and Ventry for swimming were unexpected bonuses. Also walks to the folly and up to Eask Tower allowes us to experience the best things for free.

Daughter had a holiday to remember, feeding lambs out on Slea head her highlight despite a boat trip to Fungie and going to fly owls with Kingdom falconry.

Dingle had a great vibe to it, and life about the town. Good food as well.

And have to mention that our choice of holiday home (Inishowen suite in Captain's House) was perfect- quirky, in centre of town but quiet, private outside patio, great host and unusually designed almost perfectly for a family of three

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Patser wrote: »
    Just home, and had a genuinely fantastic time. Of course we were absolutely blessed with the weather, so beaches like Clogher strand for silence and scenery and Ventry for swimming were unexpected bonuses. Also walks to the folly and up to Eask Tower allowes us to experience the best things for free.

Daughter had a holiday to remember, feeding lambs out on Slea head her highlight despite a boat trip to Fungie and going to fly owls with Kingdom falconry.

Dingle had a great vibe to it, and life about the town. Good food as well.

And have to mention that our choice of holiday home (Inishowen suite in Captain's House) was perfect- quirky, in centre of town but quiet, private outside patio, great host and unusually designed almost perfectly for a family of three

Sounds brilliant, the views from Eask tower are amazing. Must add the falconry to my list for the next trip to the Kingdom. Must check out Captain's House.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

does anyone know where I can get a detailed map of the Wild Atlantic Away online? I was using the this link but now its just redirecting to discover ireland, which is no help at all. We have a long drive tomorrow along the route, and need to come up with a plan as to what parts to leave out, as we won't have time to do everything.

We started off heading North along the WWW from Spanish point in Clare on Monday. We finished up in Galway on Monday night. The WWW is stunning along that route. Went from Galway to Westport yesterday, its really is too much to drive in one day if you drive along all the WWW route. My Fiancee and I shared the driving yesterday, and we were both shattered when we got to westport. We probably skipped around 2 hours of the WWW route yesterday.

EDIT: found this third party WWW web site, its pretty good. Day of rest in Westport now, I've tomorrows route planned. Just one thing I noticed about Wesport, I only seen one of the "wet" pubs open last night. I was hoping to have a pint in either the Clock Tavern, Matt Molloys or the Porter House, but they were all closed. They seem to be only opening this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,658 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

JimmyVik wrote: »
    What happened in Tullamore?
    Never mind. I found it. Outbreak in a hotel.

Did you see yer man from the hotel in Rosslare on Prime Time last night.
    "Will you be turning away people from Dublin?"

"eh, eh , eh , thats up to the government and the individual"

Its impossible to enforce
    How do you even know if there from Dublin ?

Say I book a hotel they don't ask me for proof where i'm from ,

Plenty of Dubs living outside of the Dublin up and down the breath of the country, you cant just say no to someone because of there accent ,

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Its impossible to enforce
    How do you even know if there from Dublin ?

Say I book a hotel they don't ask me for proof where i'm from ,

Plenty of Dubs living outside of the Dublin up and down the breath of the country, you cant just say no to someone because of there accent ,

They don't ask for proof of where you are from but they ask you for an address at the time of booking. Of course anyone could lie. I do know of people during the kildare lockdown where hotels phoned them offering them date changes to discourage them coming, same for dubs now.

Totally agree you should bot judge from the accents, as a culchie living in dublin myself, and my hometown is full of dubs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Bumping this thread !
    Anyone else playing safe and booking somewhere in Ireland this summer rather than waiting to see can we travel?

I’ve about 5 places in the south west on my list but unless there’s foreign travel I’ll wait until 2022. Last year around Ireland was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭combat14

hotel prices here still ferociously dear?

why do people think or is it all my imagination?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Get onto done deal and buy a Caravan now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Yes Irish holiday booked for a week in may and planning another one late summer. Needed something to look forward to :-)

Advertisement