Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭False Prophet

frag420 wrote: »
    As already said, when the police arrived he was not blocking anyone, the car was parked in a parking spot.

Here is the link again, 12th paragraph...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/13/us/atlanta-police-shooting-wendys/index.html

No, that's not what the police videos show. By the time the officers come to alcohol test him he is parked. But the previous police got him to move to that spot.
    Watch the first few minutes of the video where officer explains
    https://youtu.be/881N_PEE1EE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

From that very link...

"The eyewitness told CNN that by the time they arrived on the scene, Brooks' car was parked in a parking spot"

I think we need to know who moved it? Was it the victim who moved it or Wendys staff, who?

He moved it himself when he was awoken by the officer, he asked him to park it out of the way as he passed out in the drive thru lane.

He took an officer's weapon and tried numerous times to use it against them, he could also have had a gun on him and they quite possibly could have been killed if that were the case and also he could have tased them and taken their firearm.

They didn't go there to escalate anything he was driving drunk and was arrested and rightly so, comply is all he had to do but he decided fighting two officers was the best option.

These situations are extremely dangerous and those officers wanted to go home alive and not in a box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

yep, anything.

I believe your understanding of the criminal justice systems in any country in the world is flawed .

Police are supposed to catch criminals not pander to the political causes of the day biased on race

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

No, that's not what the police videos show. By the time the officers come to alcohol test him he is parked. But the previous police got him to move to that spot

So they didn't do a sobriety test before getting him to move his car? He is suspected of being drink but allowed to drive? They should be suspended/fired for that alone as they put the public in danger by letting him drive.

There was two sets of police officers and yet they still could not get the situation under control?

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This type of death would only happen in America. I think that's what they are trying to change.

• Advertisement

Funny how they always go for a kill shot with a black man. Trained not to, but it's always head and chest shots. A bullet to the leg stops anyone.

se above ,

this argument has been thrashed out time and time again ,

your watching too many tv shows

also the statics completely destroy your cops kill every black man they can agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

This is exactly why we must wait for facts and investigations to conclude or at least throw up provisional findings.

None of us were there, none of us know the entire truth. I really wish i could have talked to the man to tell him not to run or do whatever he did afterwards but i can't, nor can you. Media is shared instantaneously these days but it's a far way away from giving the entire picture

I actually find it astonishing that people even question what went down when all the videos are published online and anyone can see them, they were not doctored or messed with in any way.

The male was under arrest, fought the two officers and got one of their tasers and used it against them, he was a direct threat and he needed to be stopped.

All the comments stating ah sure they knew who he was and sure yeah let him run off..... Are these people mad? Are they living in the matrix or something?

If this was how they wanted police to conduct themselves then that would mean you or I could walk up to a cop give them a few slaps or figs, taser them and take their equipment and run off with it..... Does this not actually compute as been the most stupidest form of thought ever?

He moved it himself when he was awoken by the officer, he asked him to park it out of the way as he passed out in the drive thru lane.

So he was being compliant with the police then.

Would it not make sense to do a sobriety test first to see if he was capable of driving it? If he is ok to drive and park it then why not drive it home?

I actually find it astonishing that people even question what went down when all the videos are published online and anyone can see them, they were not doctored or messed with in any way.

The male was under arrest, fought the two officers and got one of their tasers and used it against them, he was a direct threat and he needed to be stopped.

All the comments stating ah sure they knew who he was and sure yeah let him run off..... Are these people mad? Are they living in the matrix or something?

If this was how they wanted police to conduct themselves then that would mean you or I could walk up to a cop give them a few slaps or figs, taser them and take their equipment and run off with it..... Does this not actually compute as been the most stupidest form of thought ever?

There are countless comments in this thread with people saying they knew he was a violent drunk...are those people mad?

• Advertisement

So they didn't do a sobriety test before getting him to move his car? He is suspected of being drink but allowed to drive? They should be suspended/fired for that alone as they put the public in danger by letting him drive.

There was two sets of police officers and yet they still could not get the situation under control?

In ireland that's what I believe guards would do, advise you to park up so you would not be blocking or danger to anyone else.
    Plus no lives would have been in danger unless I guess he did a runner and tried to escape by driving away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

My favourite was "Sure just arrest him the next day"

• Registered Users Posts: 55,189 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Would it not make sense to do a sobriety test first to see if he was capable of driving it? If he is ok to drive and park it then why not drive it home?

Are there anymore excuses and scenarios you’d like to present here?

The man was a clear threat. He created this, caused it and he was responsible for it completely escalating...

Have a look at YouTube and look at shootouts where police have been killed or shot multiple times and left for dead.....

One from I believe 2017 was a traffic stop, they were speaking with a male, he had enough after similar circumstances where they were placing him in cuffs, he fought and there were two officers, he was tased, he continued fighting the cops even dragged him out of a live motorway lane to safe his life, he managed to over power them, got up ran to his car and shot both of them numerous times, how they weren't killed was an absolute miracle.

He was black and both officers were white, he was around 22 I believe and the car was full of drugs.

But you seem to think the cops are always wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Funny how they always go for a kill shot with a black man. Trained not to, but it's always head and chest shots. A bullet to the leg stops anyone.

Hand guns aren't that accurate. They always shoot center mass regardless of skin color.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,189 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rather blanket claim this..

Compliant at 1st as he believed they would let him walk away but 1st thought I'd say was act cool, stay calm and I'll get my food and drive home.

You or I have no idea what his though process was and the cops at that point wouldn't have known he was drunk.

RasTa wrote: »
    This type of death would only happen in America. I think that's what they are trying to change.

No it's not, if this happened anywhere and the police were actually armed with guns too they most definitely would have to end the threat.

You do understand that a taser in the wrong hands is dangerous right!!!!

In ireland that's what I believe guards would do, advise you to park up so you would not be blocking or danger to anyone else.
    Plus no lives would have been in danger unless I guess he did a runner and tried to escape by driving away.

It didn't happen in Ireland.

Well the only way he could have done a runner by driving away is by the cops letting him drive the car which they did.
    walshb wrote: »
    Are there anymore excuses and scenarios you’d like to present here?

The man was a clear threat. He created this, caused it and he was responsible for it completely escalating...

If he was a clear threat, why not call for back up, why let him drive his car?

Look we can see from this and other the other thread (that you started) that you have a hard on for the US police and it seems to get particularly hard when they kill a black person...

no.8 wrote: »
    This is exactly why we must wait for facts and investigations to conclude or at least throw up provisional findings.

None of us were there, none of us know the entire truth. I really wish i could have talked to the man to tell him not to run or do whatever he did afterwards but i can't, nor can you. Media is shared instantaneously these days but it's a far way away from giving the entire picture

Wtf, the video shows it all.

Do you want the police to give him a hug or something.

He fought the police, he tased them and tried to numerous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This for me is justified based on the 2nd officers bodycam: (audio is graphic, but no visible injuries) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT01znN_PiU

In the time leading up to 2:18, suspect scuffles and through the audio we hear a number of references to his grabbing a taser.

At 2:19, he is tased himself, presumably by the cop who still has his taser. As he falls we can clearly see he has the taser in his hand.

At 2:16, 7 seconds later, he's shot.

Taser bursts last 5 seconds, so it's reasonable to put 2 and 2 together that he's on the ground, taser has stopped firing, and he points it at one of the cops. Game over.
    Is that justified? Using lethal force against someone who has a non lethal weapon? Is shooting someone who has a baseball bat allowed?

Absolutely. If you're an armed cop and someone has a taser on you they can very quickly use it to disable you and take your gun. Deadly force sadly is very justified in that case. Even if the second cop tasing him was an option, it would not be appropriate because if that fails he could also be disabled. In this case as well, it looks like the first taser shot has failed to totally subdue the suspect.

The guy resisted arrest, fought with police, and ultimately endangered their lives which triggers the deadly force response. An element of darwinism has to apply there, however small.

Cop needs his job back. And bodycams need stronger clips.

RasTa wrote: »

America defo has problems with so many agencies and such poor police training. That combined with the gun culture and the lack of respect of police authority doesnt make it easy to fix.
    In other countries I'd think it's less likely either that people know not to mess with the police or they are bettered trained police force.

Compliant at 1st as he believed they would let him walk away but 1st thought I'd say was act cool, stay calm and I'll get my food and drive home.

You or I have no idea what his though process was and the cops at that point wouldn't have known he was drunk.

But he was passed out apparently, would someone who is not drunk pass out?

He had no idea what the thought process of the cops were and taking into consideration recent events, do you blame him?

Perhaps the cops should have acted cool, stayed calm and a cop would now have a job and a dead guy would be alive!

sdanseo wrote: »
    This for me is justified based on the 2nd officers bodycam: (audio is graphic, but no visible injuries) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT01znN_PiU

In the time leading up to 2:18, suspect scuffles and through the audio we hear a number of references to his grabbing a taser.

At 2:19, he is tased himself, presumably by the cop who still has his taser.

Taser bursts last 5 seconds, so it's reasonable to put 2 and 2 together that he's on the ground, taser has stopped firing, and he points it at one of the cops. Game over.

Absolutely. If you're an armed cop and someone has a taser on you they can very quickly use it to disable you and take your gun. Deadly force sadly is very justified in that case. Even if the second cop tasing him was an option, it would not be appropriate because if that fails he could also be disabled. In this case as well, it looks like the first taser shot has failed to totally subdue the suspect.

The guy resisted arrest, fought with police, and ultimately endangered their lives which triggers the deadly force response. An element of darwinism has to apply there, however small.

I could get behind that if the cop was alone as his pattern was inside getting coffee and donuts or whatever but according to one poster here there were tow sets of cops, so a min of three cops there. they had ample opportunity to not kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Do you want the police to give him a hug or something.

Wtf, the video shows it all.

He fought the police, he tased them and tried to numerous times.

Calm down lad. Please tread my earlier comment

He had no idea what the thought process of the cops were and taking into consideration recent events, do you blame him?

Perhaps the cops should have acted cool, stayed calm and a cop would now have a job and a dead guy would be alive!

or the cops would have been dead ,

or he could have driven home and killed some people on the way

but because he was black the cops should have treated him differently

you know what that's called don't you ?

Do you actually read what you write?

He was asleep, passed out, eyes closed, not reacting to voice or bangs on the window, door opened and he eventually comes around.
    It could have been all show, but most likely he was asleep as the queue looked long and probably slow too.

no.8 wrote: »
    Calm down lad. Please tread my earlier comment

What

For me deadly force should be last resort only to be used when you or others are at risk.
    He had 1 taser, they could have stayed outside the range of the taser or backed away and radioed for backup.
    What was the worse he could do, he couldnt taser both officers so wasnt going to get a gun. They had his name and car.
    What do guards do if someone steals a taser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

At 2:19, he is tased himself, presumably by the cop who still has his taser. As he falls we can clearly see he has the taser in his hand.

Your justifying lethal force against somebody with a non lethal weapon who is actively trying to flee.

That means everyone suspected of a crime is open to shooting if resisting arrest because a punch can do the same.

There is a reason the cops classify these as non lethal, so they can use them in lots of situations.

Cops need to learn how to handle people better, both verbally and physically, and how not to let a drunk guy take your taser off you.

Advertisement