Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PBP want to tear down stuff in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

i was in a beautiful church at christmas. said a prayer. amazing silence crisp december day, i could smell the candles feel the history. i felt awed.
    im a happy moderate Catholic.knives out now eh?
    by radical left logic i now hate it.
    it was a protestant church. my Catholic senses have been hurt. at the very least it should be closed.
    after listening to the 2 minutes of hate, i felt itd better if i burnt it to the ground.
    because im untouchable nothing happened.
    in fact the guards all quit and galway is now lawless.
    In actual reality i had a lovely chat with the vicar he blessed my baby and we all got coffee and sat in eyre square in absolute contentment.
    i know which world i want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Did I? I don’t recall. You’re obsessed with anything I say and with trying to get me thrown off the thread or get the thread shut down though, so you could be right there (for a change) LOL.

Tell me, as honestly as you can, why does it bother you so much that people would suggest that there should be a debate about certain monuments or statues being removed or relocated?

You have as many posts in the thread as I do. So why does the statue bother you so much?

Regarding getting the thread shut down or you kicked out, you are imagining things. I’m happy to keep this thread going, to point out tripe like ‘hounding of PBP’.

You seem to have an issue with being red carded for personal abuse. Fortunately personal abuse is a breach of the rules. I assume you have never reported a post yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

You have as many posts in the thread as I do. So why does the statue bother you so much?

Regarding getting the thread shut down or you kicked out, you are imagining things. I’m happy to keep this thread going, to point out tripe like ‘hounding of PBP’.

You seem to have an issue with being red carded for personal abuse. Fortunately personal abuse is a breach of the rules. I assume you have never reported a post yourself.

So you answer the question put to you by posing a question, and then regurgitate stuff you’ve already said several times over and over.

I’ll answer your question; I don’t or didn’t have a problem with the statue in the Spanish Arch, but the BLM movement has created an awareness around the issue of race where it is legitimate to question how cultural racism impacts on society in an ingrained way.

It helps to create a framework whereby people are inculcated in racist attitudes whether they know it or not. I think it’s fair game to now question some of these monuments and other cultural artefacts we have put up towards people that were deeply unsound on various issues including race.

I’ll ask you again; why do you have such a problem with a call for debating the removal or relocation of such statues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Black Lives Matter protester tests positive for coronavirus | Daily Mail Online
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8408779/Black-Lives-Matter-protester-tests-positive-coronavirus.html

still quarantined lads eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Black Lives Matter protester tests positive for coronavirus | Daily Mail Online
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8408779/Black-Lives-Matter-protester-tests-positive-coronavirus.html

still quarantined lads eh?

Should be charged with reckless endangerment the selfish pos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

So you answer the question put to you by posing a question, and then regurgitate stuff you’ve already said several times over and over.

I’ll answer your question; I don’t or didn’t have a problem with the statue in the Spanish Arch, but the BLM movement has created an awareness around the issue of race where it is legitimate to question how cultural racism impacts on society in an ingrained way.

It helps to create a framework whereby people are inculcated in racist attitudes whether they know it or not. I think it’s fair game to now question some of these monuments and other cultural artefacts we have put up towards people that were deeply unsound on various issues including race.

I’ll ask you again; why do you have such a problem with a call for debating the removal or relocation of such statues?

More tripe. You don’t have an issue with the Spanish arch but have posted dozens of times in a thread about it, complaining about people trying to shut down the discussion, getting so worked up that you get red carded for personal abuse. Pull the other one, pal.

More tripe. You don’t have an issue with the Spanish arch but have posted dozens of times in a thread about it, complaining about people trying to shut down the discussion, getting so worked up that you get red carded for personal abuse. Pull the other one, pal.

LOL How uncivil of you.

You’re dodging the question, I think we all know why that is.

You don’t even have an informed or remotely cohesive opinion on this issue, you’re sitting there ranting on with the same repetitive guff endlessly. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rodney Bathgate and TheCitizen, don't post here before Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This sort of cultural vandalism is around a long time.

Crown%2BPillar%2BBoxes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I agree with the jackeen, the post boxes should have been left.
    Like a little scar to remind you what happened.
    It's a interesting part of history someone wants erased.

This one was erected during the reign of King George 1910 -1936 (GR means George Rex).

unnamed.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Del.Monte wrote: »

Petition to reinstall Lord Dunkellin's statue in the middle of Eyre Square?

“After the meeting, a rope was put round the neck of the statue and it was drawn by thousands through the main streets with band playing Irish reels and hornpipes and taken out to the pier head where it was thrown into the water." https://www.advertiser.ie/Galway/article/32477/lord-dunkellins-statue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

In talking about the Columbus thing, obvious issues nearby are being missed.

The Spanish Arch will have to be pulled down. Spain has historical issues with colonialism, slavery and cultural appropriation. We cannot leave this monument to such racist ideology in our midst. Alternatively, if it is to be left, it could just be called "the Arch", but we would need to ensure that any translations to languages other than English result in a gender neutral word for Arch. A solution could be to build the Museum around it so that it's in the Museum, but those who may be offended by it would need to be warned of its presence in several languages, prior to entering the Museum.

The Latin Quarter will also have to be dealt with. Latin was the language of Imperial Rome and this has obvious connotations and difficulties, not least of which is inflicting the film the Gladiator on us. Changing it to "the Quarter" will not work as this discriminates against people who don't use fractions. It shall henceforth be "the Quarter, or 25%, or .25"

?Cee?view wrote: »
    In talking about the Columbus thing, obvious issues nearby are being missed.

The Spanish Arch will have to be pulled down. Spain has historical issues with colonialism, slavery and cultural appropriation. We cannot leave this monument to such racist ideology in our midst. Alternatively, if it is to be left, it could just be called "the Arch", but we would need to ensure that any translations to languages other than English result in a gender neutral word for Arch. A solution could be to build the Museum around it so that it's in the Museum, but those who may be offended by it would need to be warned of its presence in several languages, prior to entering the Museum.

The Latin Quarter will also have to be dealt with. Latin was the language of Imperial Rome and this has obvious connotations and difficulties, not least of which is inflicting the film the Gladiator on us. Changing it to "the Quarter" will not work as this discriminates against people who don't use fractions. It shall henceforth be "the Quarter, or 25%, or .25"

OK boomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

OK boomer.

I had to google that...

"The phrase "OK boomer" is a pejorative retort used to dismiss or mock the attitudes of older people, particularly baby boomers."

Kinda proves your point that I had to google it I suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I had to google that...

"The phrase "OK boomer" is a pejorative retort used to dismiss or mock the attitudes of older people, particularly baby boomers."

TBH the only people who still use that phrase now are further behind the curve than any Boomer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I had to google that...

Anyway, it all seems a bit ageist does it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Now, how long have you been living in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Galway PBP should stick to what they know and are good at, assaulting women.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Danzy wrote: »
    Galway PBP should stick to what they know and are good at, assaulting women.

I think they are afraid that the statue might start moving or talking...perhaps become a shrine to neo Nazis worldwide which Faite Ireland might exploit.

The National Party turned out in Ballinasloe today to prevent the statue in St Michael's Square from being vandalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Achebe wrote: »

Who is the speaker in the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just how much destruction do the virtue signallers want? Ireland is already littered with burnt out big houses, blown up statues etc. Wikipedia must be in melt-down as the "want to be offended" brigade trawl through their files. What about renaming every road, housing estate, sports ground, institution associated with British rule - that won't leave much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That'll show Royal Mail. How dare they come over here and build post offices and set up a postal network.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,792 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just how much destruction do the virtue signallers want? Ireland is already littered with burnt out big houses, blown up statues etc. Wikipedia must be in melt-down as the "want to be offended" brigade trawl through their files. What about renaming every road, housing estate, sports ground, institution associated with British rule - that won't leave much.

Better abolish counties, too. Guess who set them up.

biko wrote: »
    I agree with the jackeen, the post boxes should have been left.
    Like a little scar to remind you what happened.
    It's a interesting part of history someone wants erased.

This one was erected during the reign of King George 1910 -1936 (GR means George Rex).

unnamed.jpg

Why would there be Royal Mail postboxes remaining in use 100 years after Irish Independence?

What's "virtue signalling" (whatever that is exactly) got do with renaming landmarks or relocating statues?

Giving support to a movement like BLM is "virtue signalling" is it? Do you disagree with the aims of the BLM movement? Why do you have an issue with BLM?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Why would there be Royal Mail postboxes remaining in use 100 years after Irish Independence?

Because they work far better than any replacement are easy to maintain and would cost money to remove and more money to replace.

Advertisement