Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PBP want to tear down stuff in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As a reminder of our shared history.

Did you know that in 2016 An Post actually painted a number of post boxes red again?
    This was to commemorate the 1916 rising.

And that there is one last imperial statue still left in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Because they work far better than any replacement are easy to maintain and would cost money to remove and more money to replace.

I'm confused? Are some of them still in use, the poster I replied to appeared to say they were removed?

biko wrote: »
    As a reminder of our shared history.

Did you know that in 2016 An Post actually painted a number of post boxes red again?
    This was to commemorate the 1916 rising.

And that there is one last imperial statue still left in Dublin?

No one is saying we don't have a shared history with the UK. That has nothing to do with deciding to remove imperial statues or rename landmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I'm confused? Are some of them still in use, the poster I replied to appeared to say they were removed?

You quoted a picture of one above!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

?Cee?view wrote: »
    You quoted a picture of one above!

A picture of one? :pac: The picture could be 40 years old.

It's not something I've ever thought about much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

A picture of one? :pac: The picture could be 40 years old.

It's not something I've ever thought about much.

Yeah, because that An Post signage was around 40 years ago.

Tell me, do you look in the mirror and start arguing with your reflection first thing every morning?

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Because they work far better than any replacement are easy to maintain and would cost money to remove and more money to replace.

They don't work better than any replacement as it happens according to the interviewee in the RTE piece linked above

Yeah, because that An Post signage was around 40 years ago.

:pac: I'm talking about the picture. The picture could be 40 years old, the box might be gone now. Some of them have been removed due to bad repair alone I imagine.
    Tell me, do you look in the mirror and start arguing with your reflection first thing every morning?

We're just discussing something here mate, calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What's "virtue signalling" (whatever that is exactly) got do with renaming landmarks or relocating statues?

Giving support to a movement like BLM is "virtue signalling" is it? Do you disagree with the aims of the BLM movement? Why do you have an issue with BLM?

I disagree with their rioting, looting and assaulting people.
    What do they achieve by that?

• Advertisement

I disagree with their rioting, looting and assaulting people.
    What do they achieve by that?

BLM is a wide ranging movement, do you just see it as rioters, looters and people assaulting people?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

BLM is a wide ranging movement, do you just see it as rioters, looters and people assaulting people?

That and pulling down a few statues is what I’ve seen mainly.
    ...... and no social distancing in the middle of a pandemic, nearly forgot that.

That and pulling down a few statues is what I’ve seen mainly.
    ...... and no social distancing in the middle of a pandemic, nearly forgot that.

The social distancing issue is something I disagree with during a pandemic.

Pulling down statues and firing them into the river isn't good health and safety either. The removal of that statue that was pulled down in Bristol was called for by the Labour MP for Bristol in 2018. It would be better to remove these things or relocate them via council votes etc.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-45825768

I think it's important to discuss these issues rather than shut discussion down by labelling anyone who wants to change or rename or relocate anything as a "virtue signalling lefty SJW etc etc" as is happening with some posters on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Why would there be Royal Mail postboxes remaining in use 100 years after Irish Independence?

Hard to answer such a daft question but how about they didn't need replacing and surely the green paint over the red is making a point that even the most ardent republican might get? Apart from that they are an historic piece of street furniture which should be preserved rather than torn town to satisfy small minded people with little to worry them.

What's "virtue signalling" (whatever that is exactly) got do with renaming landmarks or relocating statues?

Giving support to a movement like BLM is "virtue signalling" is it? Do you disagree with the aims of the BLM movement? Why do you have an issue with BLM?

Google is your friend: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Virtue%20Signalling

I have no interest in BLM as I believe all lives matter.

Not only are confused but you are seriously unobservant as there are old British postboxes in use all over the country. You're concerned about their presence but you don't know whether there still in use. Back to Wiki to find some other thing to be offended by. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Why would there be Royal Mail postboxes remaining in use 100 years after Irish Independence?

They are very common, I can think of 5 off the top if my head.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Google is your friend: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Virtue%20Signalling

I have no interest in BLM as I believe all lives matter.

You have no interest in BLM. That says it all really.

BLM doesn’t mean other lives don’t matter, don’t be ridiculous

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Hard to answer such a daft question but how about they didn't need replacing and surely the green paint over the red is making a point that even the most ardent republican might get? Apart from that they are an historic piece of street furniture which should be preserved rather than torn town to satisfy small minded people with little to worry them.

I’m not bothered about the mailboxes tbh. In Hong Kong they covered the Regal crest and kept the boxes if they were still useful. It’s not something I’m overly concerned about.

However As the guy in the RTE piece said some of them no longer user friendly for the postal workers. Do you think they should be maintained and preserved for the sake of it even though they’re not fit for purpose anymore? They could always stick one in a museum and you can go in and look at it all the time if it blows your hair back.

You have no interest in BLM. That says it all really.

BLM doesn’t mean other lives don’t matter, don’t be ridiculous

That’s debatable since they defied the law and all logic to risk irish lives to gather in the middle of a lethal pandemic.

Pulling down statutes is absolute bull, we should not be doing it simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

The Latin Quarter will also have to be dealt with. Latin was the language of Imperial Rome and this has obvious connotations and difficulties, not least of which is inflicting the film the Gladiator on us. Changing it to "the Quarter" will not work as this discriminates against people who don't use fractions. It shall henceforth be "the Quarter, or 25%, or .25"

I'm afraid that name may not be suitable either as maths in itself is almost certainly racist

https://www.hoover.org/research/seattle-schools-propose-teach-math-education-racist-will-california-be-far-behindseattle

That’s debatable since they defined the law and all logic to risk irish lives to gather in the middle of a lethal pandemic.

Pulling down statutes is absolute bull, we should not be doing it simple as that.

Who said we should be pulling down statues? I’m saying there should be reasoned debate around relocating certain statues, but on here such a suggestion is met with snowflaking outrage and ranting about SJW’s and virtue signalling etc.

Who said we should be pulling down statues? I’m saying there should be reasoned debate around relocating certain statues, but on here such a suggestion is met with snowflaking outrage and ranting about SJW’s and virtue signalling etc.

No it shouldn’t be suggested as even the suggestion of moving them is nonsense. The Colombus monument should stay exactly where it is full stop, and any nonsense to the contrary should be dismissed as spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

There should be a campaign to remove images of Che Guvera from Galway,terrorist,murderer and crook.

Busterie wrote: »
    There should be a campaign to remove images of Che Guvera from Galway,terrorist,murderer and crook.

No there should not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No there should not.

There shouldn't be but the reasons are as valid for him as other statues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I disagree with several of the aims of this organisation:

https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

I wish to support families, they wish to dismantle families.

This is a Marxist anti-family idea.

I think families are the bedrock/centre of society.

Families are supported by the Constitution.

So I reject this organisation.

Geuze wrote: »
    I disagree with several of the aims of this organisation:

https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

I wish to support families, they wish to dismantle families.

This is a Marxist anti-family idea.

I think families are the bedrock/centre of society.

Families are supported by the Constitution.

So I reject this organisation.

You said “several” aims? That’s one aim.

You’re going to entirely “reject” this organisation because you disagree on one aspect of their stated aims? So everything else they stand for is also rejected? Is that not a bit ott? Whatever happened to tolerance.

Supporting BLM in their aims to promote racial equality doesn’t mean we’re all going to abandon our families and become communists.

Interesting insight into some of the prevailing thinking on here though, thanks for that a chara.

Busterie wrote: »

What images?

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    There shouldn't be but the reasons are as valid for him as other statues.

What statue?

Advertisement