Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Mr.S wrote: »
    With wash mine is 30mins :D

Then you/your barber would have to be contacted if the unlikely event that the need for contact tracing arose.
    You wouldn’t if you didn’t have a wash and were < 15 minutes in the chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I think ever service business should charge a non refundable deposit at the time of booking. It would cut out the amount of people who don't show you for appointments on time or book them just in case, e.g. hairdressers, restaurants, dentists, doctors.

Why should businesses lose out just because people are flaky? They have suffered enough in the last few months.

I also agree with passing on the cost of PPE but don't believe any business should profit from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

@sleeper12 when were you in a barbers that was busy 12hours a day 7days a week

So if I’m right, you want a barber to give up one of his two days off, to work an extra 12 hours? To make up the loss? You do realise that’s an extra days wages? To try and get the same amount of heads cut? An extra day of heating and light? So as not to increase the price to make his business profitable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Nialer is going into work tomorrow to tell his boss he'll work for half pay for double the hours.

When he goes to pay for his shopping next weekend he's going to tell the person at the checkout he'll pay in 6 - 9 months because he's working really hard.

Apparently that's how it's going to work for businesses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Not sugesting anyone gives up any more time but people have to realise if it is yoyr own business you have to do thing from time to time above what you normally do for your business to survive, This is not normal times so people need to go above for there business to survive.

• Advertisement

Not sugesting anyone gives up any more time

they just have to open for longer/ more days :confused:

@Graham who is working for half pay, dont be so silly, you tell me were i said work for half pay.

Your been a very silly person now

I think ever service business should charge a non refundable deposit at the time of booking. It would cut out the amount of people who don't show you for appointments on time or book them just in case, e.g. hairdressers, restaurants, dentists, doctors.

Why should businesses lose out just because people are flaky? They have suffered enough in the last few months.

I also agree with passing on the cost of PPE but don't believe any business should profit from it.

+1

Sounds like a very reasonable position.

@Graham, do you understand, if an employee works 10hours tbey get paid for ten hours, how does that change if they work for 12hours...yes they get paid for 12hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

@Graham, if a business is only operating at 60% capacition who should make up for the 40%, i suggested that the customer should not have to make up the full fall off and yoy said who should

I say this with total respect but you haven't a clue about how businesses are run.

If a barber shop has to reduce its client base by a third then they will have to increase their price by somewhere between 10 and 20 percent to make their shop work. If a third of the clients aren't happy about it then that is fine as the barber shop can't fit them in anyway. They will lose these clients with or without the price increase.

We are only talking about a 15 euro haircut going up to 18 euro. Most people would tip one or two euro anyway so its not like they aren't willing to pay it. If it were me I'd show the 3 euro increase separately and call it a temporary Covid19 charge with the promise of removing the fee when the regulations are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Not sugesting anyone gives up any more time but people have to realise if it is yoyr own business you have to do thing from time to time above what you normally do for your business to survive, This is not normal times so people need to go above for there business to survive.

are you aware that most self employed business owners work upto 80 hours every week and dont get paid for a lot of them.

where do you think they can find these extra hours on top to stop the ship from sinking

@sleeper12 when were you in a barbers that was busy 12hours a day 7days a week

One of the many businesses I have been involved in over the last 30 years was barber shops and ladies hair salons. In Dublin a good barber shop will be busy all day every day. Most barbers don't get a proper lunch break. More times than not its a 10 or 15 minute break. The tips make it worth missing a full break.

The entire business has to change. From 2pm to 4pm the shops were packed with mothers & their kids. This can no longer happen. Mothers will have to get someone else to mind the kids and just bring them in to the shop one child at a time. She may not even be allowed wait as he gets his hair cut. She may have to wait outside hail, rain or shine. Fathers on a Saturday will no longer be able to bring his sons & daughters with him as he gets his hair cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I say this with total respect but you haven't a clue about how businesses are run.

If a barber shop has to reduce its client base by a third then they will have to increase their price by somewhere between 10 and 20 percent to make their shop work. If a third of the clients aren't happy about it then that is fine as the barber shop can't fit them in anyway. They will lose these clients with or without the price increase.

We are only talking about a 15 euro haircut going up to 18 euro. Most people would tip one or two euro anyway so its not like they aren't willing to pay it. If it were me I'd show the 3 euro increase separately and call it a temporary Covid19 charge with the promise of removing the fee when the regulations are gone

18 euro for a haircut..... ha. I think you’ll find a lot of people will have mastered a hair clippers. I predict many fluffy industries like hair beauty and nail salons will close completely.

screamer wrote: »
    I predict many fluffy industries like hair beauty and nail salons will close completely.

Because you've mastered the clippers? :D

screamer wrote:
    18 euro for a haircut..... ha. I think you’ll find a lot of people will have mastered a hair clippers. I predict many fluffy industries like hair beauty and nail salons will close completely.

I've seen plenty of short hair over the last couple of weeks but mastered the clippers hasn't sprung to mind when I saw them. A 10 minute YouTube video isn't quite the same as a full four year apprenticeship imo

@Sleeper, with all respect to you, I run 3 very succesful businesses so i do know what im talking about. We have people on here who think they should be getting a pay rise when the businesses they are employed in are on the brink so it is very disturbing to here comments like these, I would have taught that after been stuck at home for 3months people would not mind workings a few extra hours when the demand is there for tbe business they are working in , and yes they do get paid for the extra hours they work graham. I say this because its all take from people, alot of people have no idea what there employer does in tbe backround and thats very clear from some comments, but i do feel tbat this is a temperary think and needs everyone especially in a small business to come together.

Graham wrote: »
    Because you've mastered the clippers?

Because many people don’t and won’t have money for fluffy things like these, and faced with being charged extra will say stuff that, and do it themselves or turn to the ones doing nixers, who’ll be cheaper and the businesses will struggle.
    Tbh if they start gouging they have 0 sympathy from me.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of short hair over the last couple of weeks but mastered the clippers hasn't sprung to mind when I saw them. A 10 minute YouTube video isn't quite the same as a full four year apprenticeship imo

It isn’t 18 quid either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

They can feck off, like lots of businesses they’ll be out to gouge back what they lost in shutdown. I’ve learned to highlight my own hair quite nicely and it’ll be a cold day in hell before I’ll pay them extra on top of their already ridiculous prices for my hair. Money I can save.

I'd say you'll be missed Karen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Because many people don’t and won’t have money for fluffy things like these, and faced with being charged extra will say stuff that, and do it themselves or turn to the ones doing nixers, who’ll be cheaper and the businesses will struggle.
    Tbh if they start gouging they have 0 sympathy from me.

But the thing is screamer, nobody will make them go to these places. If they want to take a clippers to their own hair that is no skin off anyone’s nose but their own.

@Sleeper, with all respect to you, I run 3 very succesful businesses so i do know what im talking about. We have people on here who think they should be getting a pay rise when the businesses they are employed in are on the brink so it is very disturbing to here comments like these, I would have taught that after been stuck at home for 3months people would not mind workings a few extra hours when the demand is there for tbe business they are working in , and yes they do get paid for the extra hours they work graham. I say this because its all take from people, alot of people have no idea what there employer does in tbe backround and thats very clear from some comments, but i do feel tbat this is a temperary think and needs everyone especially in a small business to come together.

i find that hard to believe given your responces here.
    what secter are your busnesses that have such a i high profit margin that you can swallow 3 months of overheads and not raise prices to cover all the higher costs now

screamer wrote:
    It isn’t 18 quid either.....

The average cost of a hair cut (dry cut) in Dublin is 15 euro. This is the exact same average as in 2007 / 2008. Personally I don't think its a lot to pay for such a personal service. I no longer have any barber shops so no vested interest but I don't see it as being expensive. As I said most people would tip a couple of euro on top of that and quiet a few would hand over a 20 note & say keep the change.

Fair play to that hairdresser with the deposit, you'll see them and a lot more services following suit from now on as a result of the rules leading to reduced capacity.

Already before the pandemic, restaurants in Dublin and large towns were starting to take credit card numbers to secure a weekend booking because they were getting stung badly with regular no shows. Imagine holding a table for a party of 6+ and turning away other customers in the meantime, for the party of 6+ to cancel at the last minute. That happening as a rare occurrence is something a good business can take in its stride, but unfortunately it's not a rare occurrence.

I see it every year when some bands I follow announce a Euro tour and fans take advantage of 'Pay later, free cancellation' policies with hotels and BnBs - A lot of people posting in the fan forums "I booked 4 different accommodations in Berlin, will decide on one closer to the date". So you're screwing 1) Your fellow fan who is also looking for accommodation, and 2) Multiple businesses.

It's been already said but it's true - 'no shows' are the bane of the service industry during the best of times, never mind during the worst where they are now. There are genuine cases of course for no shows, but there's a lot of 'shure fúck it, be grand' about it as well without a second thought given to the implications for a business. Deposits are there to try to minimise that risk.

I don't get what's the big deal with the deposit if you are planning on showing and spending the money anyway. Making an appointment because you hope to have the money by the time your appointment comes around doesn't cut it, tough luck. Similar ilk to those who book a large, lavish wedding and 'hope' that the gift money will cover the balance on the day.

On the off-chance you paid a deposit for a service but then have a genuine emergency and can't show, get in touch with the business privately and tell them your circumstances. Some will be more rigid with their policy on deposits, others may make an exception, especially small businesses for a regular customer.

There are some very selfish and/or wildly ignorant attitudes in this thread regarding how a business actually works, peppered with a strong sense of entitlement.

@the_pen_turner, no offence what you thing does not matter to me, i understand business more than most, what i do is not for a public form, lets say i will be retired by the time im 45, thats down to a lot of things and yes hard work and long hours are included in that.

@the_pen_turner, no offence what you thing does not matter to me, i understand business more than most, what i do is not for a public form, lets say i will be retired by the time im 45, thats down to a lot of things and yes hard work and long hours are included in that.

seems to be all hot air so, pardon the pun.

i find it hard to beleive you that you know anything about overheads and how to run a business

@the_pen_turner, thats your opion and i respect that.

@the_pen_turner, thats your opion and i respect that.

im not claiming to be a business genious but i know that i could not run my business at a loss like you are sugesting. i agree with you that you should run longer if you can but the numbers must add up or its pointless.

Most busineses will not run at a loss, they just want to be earning the same profits as pre covid, as i said a profitable businese pre covid if properly run should beabe to absorbe most of the expense and still not run into a defacit. But as we all know people are gready and just think what they were earning pre covid, customer service and customer loyalty is paramount to busines, this is a short term issue and hopefully be all forgotten about in a short time

• Advertisement

We have people on here who think they should be getting a pay rise when the businesses they are employed in are on the brink

I think that's another one of those things you think was said, but actually wasn't.

Advertisement