Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

who would be getting a pay rise. working extra hours for the same money per hour isnt a pay rise. its paying you what your due

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Were did i sau i dont want them to pay full price, what im saying tbey should not be paying an extra 100% if the price pre covid was 100euro they why should they not pay that. If they have a problem with thinking tbere life is in danger maybe they should talk more with the health service and stay closed until they resolve the issues, just remember it is the hair salons who are pyshing to be opened earlier, so if they still have concerns then maybe that should be revisited

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Anyone else get an email from their hairdresser looking for a deposit before being allowed book an appointment, plus charging for PPE? Thought it a bit of a cheek myself. Trust and loyalty cuts both ways.

I know several barber shops that are putting up their prices due to COVID 19. PPE would be a small part of it. The big thing for small salons & barber shops is that they won’t be able to run the same amount of chairs. One barber shop I know has three chairs going 9am to 6pm six days a week. Under the 2 metres regulations they will only be able to run two chairs resulting in a third turnover reduction. They will also only be able to have two people waiting in the shop. They cannot run the shop at pre covid prices and implement Covid19 regulations.

Charging separately for PPE is a mistake. You are talking less than 50c per mask & under a euro for paper gowns. She'd be better off just putting up her prices "due to COVID regulations" and not charging for the PPE.

I don't see a problem with changing a non refundable booking deposit. Its a new world for many businesses and we can't have the pre Covid-19 nonsense of not turning up for appointments or turning up late & expecting to still be looked after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Were did i sau i dont want them to pay full price, what im saying tbey should not be paying an extra 100% if the price pre covid was 100euro they why should they not pay that. If they have a problem with thinking tbere life is in danger maybe they should talk more with the health service and stay closed until they resolve the issues, just remember it is the hair salons who are pyshing to be opened earlier, so if they still have concerns then maybe that should be revisited

Because prices increase. People don’t pull the cost of a colour out of the air.
    Product
    Rates
    Rent
    Esb
    Staff wage (skill)
    Profit

All need to be taken into consideration. Every single business plan will have a figure they need to hit to break even, and even make a profit as this tends to be the goal of successful businesses so they can continue staff training or expand, pay their staff well and have a good standard of life.

Now you can add in PPE gear, and the fact that with 50% less clients, their expenditures are not decreased 50% so the money must be recouped

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I know several barber shops that are putting up their prices due to COVID 19. PPE would be a small part of it. The big thing for small salons & barber shops is that they won’t be able to run the same amount of chairs. One barber shop I know has three chairs going 9am to 6pm six days a week. Under the 2 metres regulations they will only be able to run two chairs resulting in a third turnover reduction. They will also only be able to have two people waiting in the shop. They cannot run the shop at pre covid prices and implement Covid19 regulations.

Charging separately for PPE is a mistake. You are talking less than 50c per mask & under a euro for paper gowns. She'd be better off just putting up her prices "due to COVID regulations" and not charging for the PPE.

I don't see a problem with changing a non refundable booking deposit. Its a new world for many businesses and we can't have the pre Covid-19 nonsense of not turning up for appointments or turning up late & expecting to still be looked after

i dont think your 1.50 estimate of the ppe takes into acount all the sanitiser, gloves, wipes etc that have to be bought and disposed of

• Advertisement

Because prices increase. People don’t pull the cost of a colour out of the air.
    Product
    Rates
    Rent
    Esb
    Staff wage (skill)
    Profit

All need to be taken into consideration. Every single business plan will have a figure they need to hit to break even, and even make a profit as this tends to be the goal of successful businesses so they can continue staff training or expand, pay their staff well and have a good standard of life.

Now you can add in PPE gear, and the fact that with 50% less clients, their expenditures are not decreased 50% so the money must be recouped

you cannot use a dirty word like profit here. you will be lynched for thinking a busines needs to make money to survive,
    people prefer charity. give stuff away and forget about feeding yourself

So if a salon is operating at 50% capacity they will increase there prices by 50%, personally i think they are digging there own graves, for the sake of a 6-9mths people will just take a longer period inbetween visits which is counter productive.

So if a salon is operating at 50% capacity they will increase there prices by 50%, personally i think they are digging there own graves, for the sake of a 6-9mths people will just take a longer period inbetween visits which is counter productive.

At the moment businesses that are closed aren't making any money. A worse situation is to reopen the business and to lose money.

Many businesses won't be reopened. Slender Health gym in Raheny has announced that after over 30 years in business that they won't be reopening. They heavily invested a large amount of money in the business less than two years ago by totally rekitting it out with new equipment. Due to the Covid-19 restrictions, that could be in place for the next few years, they can't make their business work.

Anyone who has ever run a business will understand how prices will have to increase in many businesses

There is also a time in business when you have to say breaking even or just making a small profit for a short period of time is best for the business to survive long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Costs will increase, no doubt. The services are a luxury and you cannot expect a luxury service you cannot afford. But the businesses will have to be very careful they don't price themselves out of the market either. Unlike previous recessions, many women have had a sort of "reset" and realised they are just fine without a lot of these luxuries. The old trope that women will always get their hair done even in bad times is true, but will they all get their nails, brows, lashes, tan etc done so frequently? I'm not sure they will.

I am not willing to pay a 50% deposit so will go elsewhere if that's introduced in my salon. I am willing to pay more, but I will definitely be getting a lot less treatments than before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

There is also a time in business when you have to say breaking even or just making a small profit for a short period of time is best for the business to survive long term.

The problem is a lot of them won’t even be meeting their running costs, let alone worrying about profits.

A salon owner in Cork announced that to comply with social distancing she would have to remove over half her chairs. After speaking with her accountant she learned that in order to break even, she would have to work an 84 hour week.
    As a single mother this won’t be possible for her so she has made the decision to liquidate her business. This is the reality a lot of other businesses across all sectors are now facing too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

So if a salon is operating at 50% capacity they will increase there prices by 50%

:confused:

Even if operating at 50%, a 50% increase would leave them 25% down.

I've seen no suggestion of that either.

More likely businesses will be making drastic cuts, and I don't mean hair.

A lot of businesses will be reevaluating there plans, small and large businesses and unfortunetly people will loose there jobs. This is a time when they will look at there business plans and some will streamline there business, if it was a good business before covide with a lot of work and businesses taken quick action now there is no reason to say there businese will not be there post covid,

with a lot of work and businesses taken quick action now there is no reason to say there businese will not be there post covid,

Plenty of reasons that might not be around.

Lack of cash, no stock, reduced turnover, outstanding bills, outstanding rent...

To suggest it can all be fixed by rolling up the sleaves is ill-informed at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I do think there will be price increases across the board, how much is anyones guess.

Im ok to pay more, I understand why. But equally im not sure i can be bothered going as often if its not going to be an enjoyable experience. Alot of people enjoy the social side of their hair and beauty appointments. That side of it will all but disappear.

@Graham, hard work alone does not guarantee your business will survive, as i said most businesses will have to reevaluate the business plans , these are unpresedented times but if you are afraid of hard work your are doomed from the outset. As i said a lot of businesses will struggle badly until this passes, some will see other opertunities while others will jyst fold.

are you aware that most of the country still hasnt recovered from the last recession and that they have been struggling along during these times barely covering the costs and very happy to make any small profit.

you seem to think that all these businesses have huge profit margins and the owners are rolling in extra money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Do many fellas spend more than 15 minutes in the barbers chair?

Before covid we had nearly 100% employment, there was plenty of money around, now it will take a few years to get anywere near that again, do you believe that by uppping prices by 50/60/70% is a wise thing to do in these circumstances. Six months down the line there will be a lot more peoplw back working which means a lot more disposable income, sometimes breaking even for a few months to help your business survive long term is the a good option

do you believe that by uppping prices by 50/60/70% is a wise thing to do

who suggested upping the prices 50/60/70%?

• Advertisement

@Graham i think you did,

Before covid we had nearly 100% employment, there was plenty of money around, now it will take a few years to get anywere near that again, do you believe that by uppping prices by 50/60/70% is a wise thing to do in these circumstances. Six months down the line there will be a lot more peoplw back working which means a lot more disposable income, sometimes breaking even for a few months to help your business survive long term is the a good option

thats ok if you can get to the break even point. prices would need to rise just to cover the last few months of no income let alone having reduced capacity going forward on top of that

@Graham i think you did,

I'd love to see a link to that post.

@Graham, if a business is only operating at 60% capacition who should make up for the 40%, i suggested that the customer should not have to make up the full fall off and yoy said who should

You didn't find the link then....

I answered your other question previously.

I expect prices will increase and everything that can be cut, will be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

They can feck off, like lots of businesses they’ll be out to gouge back what they lost in shutdown. I’ve learned to highlight my own hair quite nicely and it’ll be a cold day in hell before I’ll pay them extra on top of their already ridiculous prices for my hair. Money I can save.

@Graham would you prefer to break even mabe have a small over the next 6/9 months if you would have a business after worths or would you prefer to up yoy pruces and have have no business after a few months

Addle wrote:
    Do many fellas spend more than 15 minutes in the barbers chair?

15 minutes or 5 minutes makes no difference. If a barber shop had three chairs & three barbers going 9 to six & now they can only have two chairs going then their turnover will be reduced by a third. Unless rent, rates, insurance etc reduces by the same third then the barbershop may not be able to reopen without a price increase. It's very basic maths.

@sleeper12 when were you in a barbers that was busy 12hours a day 7days a week

• Advertisement

Im not assuming anything, its going to be hard for some businesses but also some will not be effected too much

Advertisement