Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Options
  • 06-06-2020 2:16pm

Anyone else get an email from their hairdresser looking for a deposit before being allowed book an appointment, plus charging for PPE?
    Thought it a bit of a cheek myself. Trust and loyalty cuts both ways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

My hairdresser is doing the same with 50% deposit. Tbh I don't mind paying upfront, they have higher overheads now because social distancing measures mean they can have fewer clients and the cost of cleaning equipment, hand sanitizer, signage, PPE etc. has made it more expensive to operate. Wedding season has been cancelled and they've been closed for the last 12 weeks with no income so I'm happy to pay if it means they'll stay afloat.

Scraggs wrote: »
    My hairdresser is doing the same with 50% deposit. Tbh I don't mind paying upfront, they have higher overheads now because social distancing measures mean they can have fewer clients and the cost of cleaning equipment, hand sanitizer, signage, PPE etc. has made it more expensive to operate. Wedding season has been cancelled and they've been closed for the last 12 weeks with no income so I'm happy to pay if it means they'll stay afloat.

Some of your points are valid. To say that they’ve no income isn’t correct as they’re entitled to the emergency payment. Overheards like rates don’t apply as these, in our area anyway, have been stopped.
    I know that it’s not going to cost me much more in the long run, but after being a customer for over 10 years, I thought it a bit off! Ya, I’m over sensitive!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

50% deposit plus a charge for PPE seems a bit much to me tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’ve been told similar. I have no issue with the deposit because I’ll just be so bloody grateful to have an appointment! For mine, the email says they’re making a set price for cuts, and if you get a colour without a cut, there’ll be a £5 ppe charge.

Mine also say that they can’t offer blow dries until it’s safe to do so, but I’m not sure if that’s a blanket ban, or just on a wash and blow dry as a service. It would be hard to judge a cut and colour correctly on wet hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Mine is also taking deposits and is doing so to ensure that everyone who prebooks an appointment is very likely to show up and not cancel last minute.

I’m perfectly ok with this because I’m desperate to get my hair done ASAP and would be really p*ssed off at the thoughts of being delayed even further by people not showing up their appointments. They’re less likely to pull out if they’ve paid 50% of the cost already.

I’ve heard of people booking appointments with a few different hairdressers in order to ensure they get seen to ASAP when things reopen - the deposit to secure your place lowers the risk of people clogging up the list with appointments they have no intention of taking.

So I’m ok with it and am glad to have half of the cost paid already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I think it makes perfect sense and anyone who didnt even for longterm customers wouldnt be very smart.

I dont understand the problem, you have to pay it anyway. Its going to help them get started again and yes they have more costs, ppe and open stock which is now out of date and needs to be thrown out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What emergency payment do you mean? There is no emergency payment covering businesses overheads for this, is there?

Rent, rates, electrical, water, phoneline, broadband, hosting a website, credit card machines, chucking stock, etc etc.

Perfectly happy here to pay a deposit, and was planning on leaving a fairly substantial tip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

pwurple wrote: »
    What emergency payment do you mean? There is no emergency payment covering businesses overheads for this, is there?

Rent, rates, electrical, water, phoneline, broadband, hosting a website, credit card machines, chucking stock, etc etc.

Perfectly happy here to pay a deposit, and was planning on leaving a fairly substantial tip too.

I think I heard mention of a 2k minimum grant to get businesses up and running again.

pwurple wrote: »

Many of those overheads are put on hold for the duration of the lockdown and there are grants on offer for website or other unexpected costs, plus the Covid emergency payment.

I, too intend leaving a decent tip with the extra expenses in mind, especially PPE. Being told that it was going to be added to the bill was, to me a slap in the face, seeing as I’ve been going there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Whatever about paying for the PPE, regarding the deposit, turn up and you've nothing to worry about. I don't know why businesses that suffer losses due to no shows don't do this more often.

• Advertisement

It’s interesting to see this happening. I wonder if other businesses are going to do the same or do they value their loyal customers more ?

I for one wouldn’t move hairdressers especially after this ! I think this is particularly important with colour . You tend to trust your own salon and colorist with highlights .

I’ve been to the dentist and the optician in the last few weeks and neither made me pay up front to hold my booking and believe me they are just as busy as hairdressers, particularly dentists !

I’m in the fence about this but hairdressers like any other business got the Government pandemic payments for staff and an awful lot of their expenses would have been frozen. They also wouldn’t have been buying any stock for 4 months (by the time they open it will be 4 months) and there will be a huge backlog of work for them for the rest of this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The number of people who do not turn up for appointments or have last minute "emergencies" is quite high.
    20%+ would not be unusual.

I can't see any issue in paying a decent deposit unless the person is booking 2 or 3 hairdressers and deciding at the last minute which to take.

As for business supports. Yes there are some.

2k grant to get online - hardly useful for hair salon and 2k will get you very little.

Rates support - yep, you can apply for that. Again there are limits.

Rent? - no supports. You need to negotiate yourself with the landlord

It won't be easy for any retailer/service provider who has been closed.

It’s interesting to see this happening. I wonder if other businesses are going to do the same or do they value their loyal customers more ?

I for one wouldn’t move hairdressers especially after this ! I think this is particularly important with colour . You tend to trust your own salon and colorist with highlights .

I’ve been to the dentist and the optician in the last few weeks and neither made me pay up front to hold my booking and believe me they are just as busy as hairdressers, particularly dentists !

I’m in the fence about this but hairdressers like any other business got the Government pandemic payments for staff and an awful lot of their expenses would have been frozen. They also wouldn’t have been buying any stock for 4 months (by the time they open it will be 4 months) and there will be a huge backlog of work for them for the rest of this year .

It’s probably ridiculous, but I actually feel hurt! So much for loyalty! I’m sure that I’ll get over it as she’s the best stylist around.

It’s probably ridiculous, but I actually feel hurt! So much for loyalty! I’m sure that I’ll get over it as she’s the best stylist around.

It’s funny how these things can make us feel isn’t it ? But if this is the way it’s going to be initially anyway (doubt paying a deposit will last as time goes on ) then we’ll probably get over it !

I was way more stressed about my hair in March than I am now . I made an appointment with my salon in April for July 21st and I’ll definitely be going.
    But now my hair is looking fabulous, I’ve been trimming it myself and the sun has brought out highlights and shine along with L’oreal purple shampoo ! I’m not even in a big rush anymore for the hairdresser.....or maybe I’ve just relaxed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Many of those overheads are put on hold for the duration of the lockdown and there are grants on offer for website or other unexpected costs, plus the Covid emergency payment.

I, too intend leaving a decent tip with the extra expenses in mind, especially PPE. Being told that it was going to be added to the bill was, to me a slap in the face, seeing as I’ve been going there for years.

I think you are being unfair
    For a start most salons can only have half the customers now,so half the income
    Imagine if half your pre booked customers simply didn't turn up
    They won't be entitled to the covid payment when they re open and will spend a lot of or maybe more of the grant if they get it or if it comes quick enough on necessary changes to the salon
    So please have some understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

I think the deposit and charge is fair.

I imagine the hairdressers will be inundated with bookings so the 50% deposit charge will entice people to make a booking and show up on time for that particular booking. (Also helps to observe social distancing).

The PPE charge is also fair and is in the interest of both the customer and hairdresser. I presume the charge will cover the cost of disinfecting equipment, disposable shoulder covers, face mask and perhaps disposable goggles.

Other services like dentistry have just up there prices without any consumer clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

I understand a small deposit, makes sense and should avoid no shows. A charge for ppe is also acceptable as long as they don't rip people off with over charging for this as I'm sure a lot of them will add a bit on and not charge cost price. Im sure the customer will also have a higher price to pay compared to pre shut down so any loss over the previous couple of months will quickly be made up, this is what we call rip off ireland, it will happen in most businesses so don't feel sorry for these businesses as it will be the customer who will pay in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

I understand a small deposit, makes sense and should avoid no shows. A charge for ppe is also acceptable as long as they don't rip people off with over charging for this as I'm sure a lot of them will add a bit on and not charge cost price. Im sure the customer will also have a higher price to pay compared to pre shut down so any loss over the previous couple of months will quickly be made up, this is what we call rip off ireland, it will happen in most businesses so don't feel sorry for these businesses as it will be the customer who will pay in the long run.

Yes the customer will have a higher price to pay for however long the social distancing and two meter rule continues.

When hairdressers do reopen they will not be able to reopen at 100%. Due to limitations of size and proximity of workstations it’s not possible to have 10 workstations operating at the same time.

My mother is a hairdresser owner and she will only be able to open 6 of her 10 work stations.
    She will still have the same rent, loans, product costs, light and heat etc.

She certainly won’t be making any significant profit from the PPE. Whatever the cost is she will round it up to the nearest euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

My hairdresser has had an online booking system for a long time and users have always paid a deposit. So I’ve no problem with paying a deposit, but then I’m always respectful of keeping appointments so I’ve no fear of losing deposits.

Maybe you can bring your own PPE rather than use that provided?
    I think we all have a personal responsibility to protect ourselves and others.

This is what I’d be worried about . Price hikes that will never come down. A head of highlights and hair cut is anything up to €150 or more. That’s big money for me so one thing I’ve learnt from lockdown is that I can do with less and can manage things better myself ......plus my hair is in great condition now .

Also I’m not buying the “customers might not turn up” line. After 5 months of no hairdressers the entire country is screaming for salons to open , there has never in the history of hairdressers been a bigger demand. After 5 months at home why would people decide “nah I won’t bother , I’ll go another time “ .......appointments will be like gold dust .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I’m not buying the “customers might not turn up” line.

Try running any kind of business where customers make bookings and you'd be singing a very different tune.

Yes the customer will have a higher price to pay for however long the social distancing and two meter rule continues.

When hairdressers do reopen they will not be able to reopen at 100%.

My mother is a hairdresser owner and she will only be able to open 6 of her 10 work stations.
    She will still have the same rent, loans, product costs, light and heat etc.

So you’ve just proved what Nialler said ......the customer will be paying more to subsidize the hairdressing business . Many customers are now working part time or no longer have a job after Covid . Yet the customer will be bearing the brunt of this financially in increased prices ? Will the same happen in restaurants, the customer pays more for food and drink simply because they are in a socially distanced restaurant or pub and there is more PPE?

Restrictions are being imposed by the Irish Government, 2meters which makes things very tough as opposed to the WHO guideline of 1meter . But the customer will end up paying the price for all this . It will be Rip Off Ireland again very soon.

Initially increased costs will be tolerated in order to get a haircut or colour, or a meal, but business will die back a lot after the initial surge due to these increases. People are NOT getting pay rises to come compensate for this inflation. It’s not going to be sustainable .

Graham wrote: »
    Try running any kind of business where customers make bookings and you'd be singing a very different tune.

I used to run my own business , I know .
    I adopted this model for a while but dropped it as I knew my clients so well and i found it difficult to impose , I was a sole trader.

So you’ve just proved what Nialler said ......the customer will be paying more to subsidize the hairdressing business . Many customers are now working part time or no longer have a job after Covid . Yet the customer will be bearing the brunt of this financially in increased prices ? Will the same happen in restaurants, the customer pays more for food and drink simply because they are in a socially distanced restaurant or pub and there is more PPE? .

For somebody that ran their own business I'm sure you understand that if costs increase so do prices.

Any business that doesn't understand that, won't be in business for long.

Costs are going to increase, revenue is going to be down. Things are not going to be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Faith wrote:
    Mine also say that they can’t offer blow dries until it’s safe to do so, but I’m not sure if that’s a blanket ban, or just on a wash and blow dry as a service. It would be hard to judge a cut and colour correctly on wet hair!

Well that blows (excuse the pun). Whats the jaysis point in going to get your hair done if they cant blow dry it nice the way they do?

Graham wrote: »
    For somebody that ran their own business I'm sure you understand that if costs increase so do prices.

Any business that doesn't understand that, won't be in business for long.

Costs are going to increase, revenue is going to be down. Things are not going to be the same.

I understand what you’re saying.

But if retail costs increase you also risk losing customers , especially in uncertain times. We are now in a recession. There will be an initial surge, a feel good factor for people ... but it’s not sustainable if prices go up across the board and stay up , especially after the next budget. I’m thinking of this from the customers point of view.
    Anyway sorry I’m going off topic......

I understand what you’re saying.

But if retail costs increase you also risk losing customers , especially in uncertain times.

:confused:

If costs increase business must increase prices to survive.

Are you suggesting business should run at a loss so they don't lose customers?

How long do you think your hairdresser would last running at a loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Jebus. Level of ignorance here is palpable

Business expenses that have not been cut during Covid

Rent : extortionate
    Water
    Light/ electricity: still charged on an estimated bill
    Insurance: again, extortionate.
    For some people rates are still being paid.

Thats without ANY income coming in bare in mind.

Talk about loyalty? Surely loyalty goes both ways? God bloody knows if i was a regualr to a place and loved it so much I'd be bending over backwards to help them get back on their feet, because you know theyre going to properly look afyer you. A 50% deposit is the LEAST of my worries unless i intend in making the appointment and not showing up. No shows are the curse of the service industry and like someone said, i guarantee there are a rake of people now who will book in appointments and change their mind an hour before hand

This is peoples livelyhoods. And business is NOT going to pick up where they left off from.
    And Karen is giving out because she has to pay half of what she was going to pay anyway upfront because shes hurt about her loyalty factor.

RE grants: anyone who's in business knows that 2grand is but a drop in a lake and will get you sweet f. A. Plus, contrary to what some may think, these grants dont go in to your bank account, they usually inundated with terms and conditions. Someone mentioned the web grant. All well and good, bit what if you didn't have a website to begin with? Theres another new expense. You have to pay 10% plus the vat so youre still looking at paying around 800 from your own pocket, a new expense to add to the list.

If you don't want to pay the deposit because in inflicts on your consumer confidence, dont, and go somehwere else. But expect your favourite place to shut down without the support of the customers it had before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

There should be no profut made from ppe for the customer, also prices will rise but will not revert back hence customers getting ripped off again. I understand that most will only be able to run at reduce capacity but when in business you open longer if a demand is there so overall intake will be much the same. I hope a lot of businesses don't take this oppertunity to price gouge there customers, you can see this happening already as they try to make up for been closed for a couple of months. But this is ireland, what do you expect.

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I think you are being unfair
    For a start most salons can only have half the customers now,so half the income
    Imagine if half your pre booked customers simply didn't turn up
    They won't be entitled to the covid payment when they re open and will spend a lot of or maybe more of the grant if they get it or if it comes quick enough on necessary changes to the salon
    So please have some understanding

I have plenty of understanding. The new regulations won’t affect the number of customers at any one time, as its a small salon. Charging strangers a deposit is fine, but as a long standing customer, I’m just a tad peeved.

Advertisement