Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

GT89 wrote: »
    But again the PPE itself isn't very expensive. Gloves are used anyway in salons and masks can be reused.

A box of masks were 8.99 are now 49.99

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

But again the PPE itself isn't very expensive. Gloves are used anyway in salons and masks can be reused.

I guess much depends on the nature of the PPE that will be needed and how many times (if) it can be re-used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I would have absolutely no problem paying a deposit for my appointment. It's like spreading the cost of the appointment :pac: Plus I would never do a "no-show" - complete asshole behaviour except in very exceptional circumstances to be honest. I think deposits should be a normal part of a lots of services.

Don't mind paying a little extra for PPE as long as it's just to cover the cost. Maybe people could have the option of wearing their own mask?

I don't colour my hair (yet!) but I badly need a haircut - It's down to my hips at this point. I won't be able to go back to my regular salon unfortunately due to a new job up the country. Heartbroken as I am extremely protective of my hair. Very tempted to get a proper scissors and learn how to just trim it until I can get it cut at home properly during a stint of annual leave or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

A box of masks were 8.99 are now 49.99

But they can be reused

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

But they can be reused

They can't.

• Advertisement

there is a lot more to ppe than a box of disposable gloves.
    gowns for both people, perspex sheeting , stickers etc that have to be paid for, all that sanitiser and cleaning fluid used after each person

A good barber/hairdresser will disinfect the equipment in barbacide before each client anyway covid 19 or not. How much is a disposable version of the gown they use I'd imagine not much more than 50c. I don't really see the need for perspex either as the person cutting your hair is going to be in close contact.

Notdeco wrote: »
    They can't.

Have you been living under a rock? Did you not realise that resuable face masks were a thing.

https://www.amazon.com/reusable-mask/s?k=reusable+mask

But they can be reused
    Gross, no.

Gross, no.

They can be used for up to 4 hours then they should be washed. Provided both the barber/hairdresser and the customer both wear a face covering then there should be no problem. Look a hairdresser/barber does not need medical grade ppe just a basic mask will do the job. I'd even question the need to use gloves as proper hand washing is more effective.

They can be used for up to 4 hours then they should be washed. Provided both the barber/hairdresser and the customer both wear a face covering then there should be no problem. Look a hairdresser/barber does not need medical grade ppe just a basic mask will do the job. I'd even question the need to use gloves as proper hand washing is more effective.

Would you put a mask on that had been on someone else?

• Advertisement

Would you put a mask on that had been on someone else?

No obivously not. The person cutting my hair would be wearing a re usable which would save them costs as they wouldn't have to wear a new mask for every hair cut re usable dosen't mean shared it means it can be used over and over again. No reason why the customer can't bring their own mask and wear it rather than the shop providing it.

A good barber/hairdresser will disinfect the equipment in barbacide before each client anyway covid 19 or not. How much is a disposable version of the gown they use I'd imagine not much more than 50c. I don't really see the need for perspex either as the person cutting your hair is going to be in close contact.

yes they should already have disinfectant as equipment is always sanitised. Stickers are a one off - once they're on the floor they tend to stay there and with fewer clients they will last a lot longer than on supermarket floors. Customers should be told on the phone when making appointment that THEY need to bring face mask or they wont be getting their hair done - end of!

So this reduced this PPE bill considerably. I think a lot of business will have to absorb some costs initially , they wont be as big going forward as I can't see these measures lasting for more than a few months.

I have face masks at home and in the car and would have no problem using my own. Everything in this country seems to be a big problem, there needs to be positive thinking and positive solutions. Its going to be up to salons to figure out what is viable and what costs they can absorb in order to make it work for them...but also for clients.

Put it this way, I would be happier to pay for medical grade PPE in the dentist because I literally cannot do without the dentist if I have an abscess or a broken tooth or need root canal.

If it comes to charging for medical grade PPE at the hairdresser my 6 expensive trips to the hairdresser for highlights every year will drop down to 2 . Plus its non essential and just not going to be the pleasant experience it used to be. I feel very sorry for hairdressers. I wonder what's happening in the beauty business, manicures, pedicures, facial treatments?

I’m pretty sure salons will want to ensure hygiene and will supply the masks. God knows where a client, or their mask, was before sitting in the chair. Honestly, I think if you’re unwilling to abide by their reopening structure then hold off making your appointment until the operation suits you. I don’t think you can get to dictate to the business how they should keep their staff or customers safe. I would say this is a lawsuit waiting to happen, some workplace that is lax on staff safety and someone ends up sick.

yes they should already have disinfectant as equipment is always sanitised. Stickers are a one off - once they're on the floor they tend to stay there and with fewer clients they will last a lot longer than on supermarket floors. Customers should be told on the phone when making appointment that THEY need to bring face mask or they wont be getting their hair done - end of!

So this reduced this PPE bill considerably. I think a lot of business will have to absorb some costs initially , they wont be as big going forward as I can't see these measures lasting for more than a few months.

I have face masks at home and in the car and would have no problem using my own. Everything in this country seems to be a big problem, there needs to be positive thinking and positive solutions. Its going to be up to salons to figure out what is viable and what costs they can absorb in order to make it work for them...but also for clients.

Put it this way, I would be happier to pay for medical grade PPE in the dentist because I literally cannot do without the dentist if I have an abscess or a broken tooth or need root canal.

If it comes to charging for medical grade PPE at the hairdresser my 6 expensive trips to the hairdresser for highlights every year will drop down to 2 . Plus its non essential and just not going to be the pleasant experience it used to be. I feel very sorry for hairdressers. I wonder what's happening in the beauty business, manicures, pedicures, facial treatments?
    Can I ask why the health of your dentist is more important than your hairdressers?

No obivously not. The person cutting my hair would be wearing a re usable which would save them costs as they wouldn't have to wear a new mask for every hair cut re usable dosen't mean shared it means it can be used over and over again. No reason why the customer can't bring their own mask and wear it rather than the shop providing it.

Everytime that person touches their mask they’re contaminating it, so I can’t see someone leaving it on 4 hours. I work where we were using masks before covid and procedure was a clean mask for each client.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Everytime that person touches their mask they’re contaminating it, so I can’t see someone leaving it on 4 hours. I work where we were using masks before covid and procedure was a clean mask for each client.

Yep a lot of people dont seem to understand the correct protocols for masks. The re-usable face coverings are moreso for trips to the shop where you will not exactly be getting close to others, and when you do it is briefly. It is an additional barrier for droplets rather than protection per se.

For circumstances where you are with someone for an extended period of time, in close quarters (and close to a clients face), I would absolutely advocate for correct masks and the proper protocols for same. Especially when you are doing so with multiple people each day.

I dont particularly like having to pay extra but I know if I were doing the job I would be wanting to be protected. It's not just me I've to think about- it's the clients, my family, their family, and public health generally. And a few extra euro to ensure everyone's health isnt too much to ask imo.

Can I ask why the health of your dentist is more important than your hairdressers?

maybe I worded my sentence wrongly. What I mean is that I "have" to go to a dentist, its essential, whereas getting my hair coloured is not essential - its a discriminatory spend. Medical grade PPE is being used in dental surgeries at the moment. You are handed a medical grade face mask as soon as you walk in the door to the waiting room. No choice to bring your own. Its a more clinical/medical setting than a hair salon so maybe that's why?

I think a regular face mask that most of us have would be sufficient going in to a hair salon but I'm no expert on this. I have very good ones I've been using for weeks, covering nose and mouth and I boil them to wash them. If PPE costs are put on top of my hair visits on a regular basis it will definitely affect the amount of times I get my hair done, particularly if it is a percentage cost! 20% on top of highlights and cut is huge - did someone mention that figure with barbers a few pages back? I've surprised myself over the last 4 months how well I've managed at home anyway.

maybe I worded my sentence wrongly. What I mean is that I "have" to go to a dentist, its essential, whereas getting my hair coloured is not essential - its a discriminatory spend. Medical grade PPE is being used in dental surgeries at the moment. You are handed a medical grade face mask as soon as you walk in the door to the waiting room. No choice to bring your own. Its a more clinical/medical setting than a hair salon so maybe that's why?

I think a regular face mask that most of us have would be sufficient going in to a hair salon but I'm no expert on this. If PPE costs are put on top of my hair visits on a regular basis it will definitely affect the amount of times I get my hair done. I've surprised myself over the last 4 months how well I've managed at home.
    I am a beauty therapist and I would absolutely not work on a client who refused to wear a clean mask supplied. I would expect to be protected at the same level as your dentist is protected at, as for some of the treatments I will be very very close to clients. I totally understand where you’re coming from in regards to cost, but to be honest, I wouldn’t be lax with my health just so I would have more customers. So I think you’re right; people will have less treatments done. But all treatments carried out should be carried out as clinical and as safe as possible.

There are people who will wear a mask long after it is no longer effective, who will wear a washable one without washing it, or who will make a homemade one out of material that isn't really effective or a mask that is too loose.... the amount of people I have seen smoking with their mask resting on their chin or around their neck... some people just dont use them correctly.
    If a standard surgical mask is given to every customer then staff can be guaranteed that it is an appropriate mask and that it is performing as it should. They can instruct them to put it on correctly too as part of the exchange.

I am a beauty therapist and I would absolutely not work on a client who refused to wear a clean mask supplied. I would expect to be protected at the same level as your dentist is protected at, as for some of the treatments I will be very very close to clients. I totally understand where you’re coming from in regards to cost, but to be honest, I wouldn’t be lax with my health just so I would have more customers. So I think you’re right; people will have less treatments done. But all treatments carried out should be carried out as clinical and as safe as possible.

yes I completely agree too especially with beauty therapists. I specifically asked about in an earlier post. There has been very little discussion about them so that's why people are asking and debating issues around this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Well to be fair, dentists and ENT doctors are the most exposed professionals. Dentists particularly - I mean even something standard like a scale and polish creates a mist which would include a persons spit and it becomes aerosolised. ENT doctors have had the highest infection rates of any specialty because they are literally looking into the orifices that spread this infection.

Thats not the same as getting your nails done or your hair trimmed.

On the origional post, I think the OP is being wildly unfair. This will not be forever, but why would you not want to support these businesses getting back up on running. Paying a % upfront and a €5 for single use PPE - literally whats the harm. If hairdressers etc can only run at 50/60% capacity then surely its only right to help them eliminate no shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I paid my hairdresser 50% last week in order to hold my place and I was more than happy to do so. In fact I was delighted to because I’m so happy to even having the conversation of them reopening and getting the wheels in motion.

She also wanted to know what exactly I’d be having done because she cannot afford to eat into anyone else’s time. For example, before I’d just let her decide on the day if I needed an Olaplex treatment or a scalp treatment or whatever but this time I had to let her know exactly what I’d be having and pay half for it. I don’t see the issue really. It weeds out the chancers and it’s money you’d be paying them anyway, and it’ll be handy only having to pay half when the day arrives.
    Can’t wait to get in there now. Cannot look at my barnet any longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My experience with deposits for service is that it is abused by the salons who do it and that's why I'm not willing to go that route. I understand they want protection from cancellations and I think that's fair. But where's the protection for the client when the salon cancels or massively delays your treatment? I have had a number of bad experiences with well respected salons over this - refusing to refund or not charge deposit if they cancel or delay a treatment so much you can no longer attend the appointment. One brow place in particular I will never return to as they refused to see me and charged full price when I was 2 minutes late. Yet at over 30 appointments during the previous 4 years I was left waiting minimum 15 minutes each time. Never again.

If they cannot give you the time they agreed to hold or they cancel then absolutely you should be getting your deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I predict many a salon will close, survival of the fittest and fairest I think, and whoever though 150 quid for extensions cut colour and 6 hours work.... try again double it or even triple it. Hairdressers are horrendously expensive as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

screamer wrote: »
    I predict many a salon will close, survival of the fittest and fairest I think, and whoever though 150 quid for extensions cut colour and 6 hours work.... try again double it or even triple it. Hairdressers are horrendously expensive as it is.

I did laugh at that comment! €160 wouldn't even cover your deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I don't get what the issue is with paying a deposit for a service you know you'll be getting done anyway. Surely it's an advantage as it also means you won't have to pay the full amount on the day?

As for the extra PPE charge, yeah this whole pandemic sucks but there aren't any winners here. I dread to think of the losses experienced by salon owners during this. If you're still working and earning and in a lucky enough position to get your hair done surely a few extra quid is worth it to safeguard your own health?

She also wanted to know what exactly I’d be having done because she cannot afford to eat into anyone else’s time. For example, before I’d just let her decide on the day if I needed an Olaplex treatment or a scalp treatment or whatever but this time I had to let her know exactly what I’d be having and pay half for it. I don’t see the issue really.

Oh god I wouldn't be able. Every time I make an appointment they ask me what I'm having done I always say I'll let her decide when she sees my hair! I'm awful getting my nails done as well, I sit looking at the colour samples trying to decide for ages, and then always pick the same colours in the end anyway. If I had to decide beforehand :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I did laugh at that comment! €160 wouldn't even cover your deposit

i think thats me. really 450 to do your hair. :eek::eek::eek::eek:. please tell me your joking.
    i probably only spend 50 euro a year on hair cuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

i think thats me. really 450 to do your hair. :eek::eek::eek::eek:. please tell me your joking.
    i probably only spend 50 euro a year on hair cuts

I once spent just under a grand on one appointment. This would have been when I got waist length extensions, thus needing more extensions to fill in the gaps and make it look natural. I think it cost €930 all in.

It wasn’t sustainable to keep up that expense so now my hair is a lot shorter, but it does cost me about €400 every time I get it done. I get it done about 3/4 times a year :o

Advertisement