Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Options
1789101113»

Comments

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Do you have any comment on Dunnes, Tesco and Dealz selling homeware and clothing throughout the pandemic or are they the exceptions with the hall passes etc?
    What was their excuse? Or is it only ok for some businesses to do it?

Are you for real? No comparison between hairdressing and buying clothes or home wares.

I our area, Clonmel, hardware shops were operating a click and collect or home delivery service.

Tesco had a one way system through their clothes section.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Do you have any comment on Dunnes, Tesco and Dealz selling homeware and clothing throughout the pandemic or are they the exceptions with the hall passes etc?

i agree with you that its wrong that one shop can open and the others couldnt. it one thing that needs to be sorted out for future.
    there is a local paint shop to me that couldnt open for most of the lockdown but the local co op was flat out selling paint . totally wrong . that paint shop lost out big time during its busiest time of the year.
    its crazy

that doesnt make opening a hairdressers right though. its against the law.
    i do agree that its pritty inconsequential opening a few hours early while pennies is like a cattle mart

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

did the law permit them to remain open and sell these items ? If not I would be critical yes... if they complied with the law, not much you can say.. for anybody who didn’t comply, criticism is fair and warranted.

In some situations I can see homeware and clothing as essential but I’m not going to go out looking for either unless there is a ‘need’...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

It’s one day. It’s been a long 15 weeks, try to get some perspective instead of getting yourself into a tizzy over something inconsequential.
    Your faux concern for planning regulations is so transparent when just a few posts ago you were wanting their details to check out their legitimacy with revenue.

Most salons are open all week sorting the hair of their staff out, arranging appointments and organising the new salon setup since last Monday regardless. Their staff are all already back to work.

I could maybe understand your concerns if it was mid May and they were opening way ahead of the guidelines, but this lady’s appointment was on a Friday evening, they’re allowed up on Monday. Not even a whole working day in the difference, saying it’s ‘ahead of the pack’ is a bit of an exaggeration.

I sincerely hope you took the same approach with Dunnes selling clothes and homeware while their competitors were forced to remain closed throughout the lockdown.
    It was an absolute disgrace that all clothing and homeware shops were forced to shut for over 12 weeks while Dunnes traded as normal. Were you looking to report them to revenue too?

Nope I didn’t mention revenue, that was another poster, apology would be correct avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Are you for real? No comparison between hairdressing and buying clothes or home wares.

I our area, Clonmel, hardware shops were operating a click and collect or home delivery service.

Tesco had a one way system through their clothes section.
    Strumms wrote: »
    did the law permit them to remain open and sell these items ? If not I would be critical yes... if they complied with the law, not much you can say.. for anybody who didn’t comply, criticism is fair and warranted.

In some situations I can see homeware and clothing as essential but I’m not going to go out looking for either unless there is a ‘need’...

It’s not the point though, the principle is the same.
    The law didn’t permit them to open, they just got around it because they’re also supermarkets.
    At the very beginning back in March they had their homeware/retail sections cordoned off and blocked so that customers couldn’t utilise it but by mid April they were all back open. They closed them for all of about 2 weeks.
    No click and collect, no one way systems, you could shop as normal in these stores.
    Clothing and homeware was considered to be non essential and all their competitors had to close, but Dunnes, Tesco and Dealz gave been trading as normal all this time.
    Meanwhile other similar shops were only allowed reopen on the 8th of June according to government guidelines.

Penney’s is packed to the rafters the last 2 weeks, a far more dangerous setup than a single hairdresser in an empty salon taking in a client a mere few hours early.

I had my colour patch test done in my own salon today in preparation for my appointment next weekend and every other salon I passed was doing the same thing - doing colour matches for extensions and patch tests. They all had clients in them getting ready for next week.
    It’s been a long 15 weeks, no one is forced to go if they don’t think it’s fully safe until Monday.

It’s just the height of hypocrisy that this is being made into some monumental criminal issue when other industries have been doing this for months and no one cared.

• Advertisement

It’s not the point though, the principle is the same.
    The law didn’t permit them to open, they just got around it because they’re also supermarkets.
    At the very beginning back in March they had their homeware/retail sections cordoned off and blocked so that customers couldn’t utilise it but by mid April they were all back open. They closed them for all of about 2 weeks.
    No click and collect, no one way systems, you could shop as normal in these stores.
    Clothing and homeware was considered to be non essential and all their competitors had to close, but Dunnes, Tesco and Dealz gave been trading as normal all this time.
    Meanwhile other similar shops were only allowed reopen on 18th of May (homeware) and 29th of June (retail).

Penney’s is packed to the rafters the last 2 weeks, a far more dangerous setup than a single hairdresser in an empty salon taking in a client a mere few hours early.

I had my colour patch test done in my own salon today in preparation for my appointment next weekend and every other salon I passed was doing the same thing - doing colour matches for extensions and patch tests. They all had clients in them getting ready for next week.
    It’s been a long 15 weeks, no one is forced to go if they don’t think it’s fully safe until Monday.

It’s just the height of hypocrisy that this is being made into some monumental criminal issue when other industries have been doing this for months and no one cared.

I do agree that some not being allowed trade while others were a bit difficult to understand.

But, hairdressers aren’t allowed work until Monday. The fact that this particular hairdresser did a strangers hair begs the question. How many others did she do?

Advertisement