Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What I expect to happen is prices will increase to cover the increased costs of doing business.

Unlike other countries, Irish businesses are receiving little to no government financing. As most businesses can't sustain a loss for very long, it's the only thing that can happen.

iuil1999 wrote: »
    Charging for PPE though...that's cheeky.

Do you know somewhere businesses can obtain PPE free of charge?

Last time I looked it was pretty expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

And hpefully in the future there will be a vacine for this, will prices return to pre covid prices?

Come back and ask when everyone has been vaccinated and we'll judge if the costs of doing business have returned to previous levels.

Passing on the price of ppe is expected but not at a profit

• Advertisement

Passing on the price of ppe is expected but not at a profit

I haven't seen anyone suggest PPE is going to be charged at a profit (other than businesses that actually supply PPE).

@Graham, you know quite well that prices will not be lowered, there is give and take in business but in ireland it seems to always be the customer who pays very heavely. Hopefully we come through this quickly anx we can return to something thar resembles normal, but in the mean time tbe customer should not be expected to take the full brunt of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭iuil1999

Graham wrote: »
    Do you know somewhere businesses can obtain PPE free of charge?

Last time I looked it was pretty expensive.

Yes PPE is expensive but not compulsory.
    I understand that hairdressers/salons have to get back to work and the nature of that work is being in close contact with the client but what if the client doesn't want to wear a face mask?
    If the salon puts a policy in place that all clients must wear a face mask then I think it should be provided.

@Graham, you know quite well that prices will not be lowered, there is give and take in business but in ireland it seems to always be the customer who pays very heavely. Hopefully we come through this quickly anx we can return to something thar resembles normal, but in the mean time tbe customer should not be expected to take the full brunt of it.

I have news for you, in most countries the customers pay for the costs of a business.

We're all going to end up paying for this one way or the other. Either through increased prices, increased national/EU debt, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I understand that hairdressers/salons have to get back to work and the nature of that work is being in close contact with the client but what if the client doesn't want to wear a face mask?
    If the salon puts a policy in place that all clients must wear a face mask then I think it should be provided.
    It is compulsory........its all outlined under professional guidelines. If a client doesnt want to wear it then they will not be served.

• Advertisement

It probably will be provided, at the customers cost one way or another.

If you'd prefer to risk using an establishment that doesn't enforce strict sanitation practices, best of luck to you.

I would prefer to use a business that tries to reduce the risks for staff and customers.

You are correct in saying we are all going to pay for this in tbe long run, but a cleaver business will try to absorb some of the cost and keepp prices as low as possible for the customes. This is not going to last forever, but what im hearing is people moaning about how there business will only be able to run at 50% and are looking immediatly to past this cost over to someone else. As i said the demand iz going to be there, be cleaver, work longer hours , keep you business going and try rid it out and kerp you loyal customers forr when things get better, don't always be moaning and trying to pass the buck

You are correct in saying we are all going to pay for this in tbe long run, but a cleaver business will try to absorb some of the cost and keepp prices as low as possible for the customes.

Any business that re-opens its doors in the next few weeks is already doing well in my opinion.

There will be many, many businesses who just aren't in a position to absorb extra costs and reduced revenue. Particularly while trying to cover the bills that have been stacking up over the last few weeks.

For many businesses the reality is going to be "how are we going to keep going".

I think business need to keep in mind that this is not going to last forever, look six months down the line and hopefully things will be a lot different, at the moment there are a lot of businesses that will not survive a few months they dont have the luxury of having a demand and been able to work longer hours. I would prefer to be able to work longer hours, keep my business going and be able to see something better dont the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

All salons will be bombarded looking for appointments. Deposits will weed out those who might not show up, or cancel last minute. I’ve no problem putting a deposit down on a service I want to avail of to secure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i dont understand he hatred of the ppe charge. this is a seperate charge added on for the duration of this . it will not be there afterwards. if this extra cost was added into the overheads and prices raised to reflect that then it probably never go away. having it as a seperate line on the bill is the best and fairest way for everyone

It’s interesting to see this happening. I wonder if other businesses are going to do the same or do they value their loyal customers more ?

I for one wouldn’t move hairdressers especially after this ! I think this is particularly important with colour . You tend to trust your own salon and colorist with highlights .

I’ve been to the dentist and the optician in the last few weeks and neither made me pay up front to hold my booking and believe me they are just as busy as hairdressers, particularly dentists !

I’m in the fence about this but hairdressers like any other business got the Government pandemic payments for staff and an awful lot of their expenses would have been frozen. They also wouldn’t have been buying any stock for 4 months (by the time they open it will be 4 months) and there will be a huge backlog of work for them for the rest of this year .
    If you don’t show up to your dentist he will miss out on a 30 min slot. If you don’t show up to your hair you’re wasting a 2hr appointment and they’re not allowed accept walk ins.

I think business need to keep in mind that this is not going to last forever, look six months down the line and hopefully things will be a lot different, at the moment there are a lot of businesses that will not survive a few months they dont have the luxury of having a demand and been able to work longer hours. I would prefer to be able to work longer hours, keep my business going and be able to see something better dont the line.

opening longer increases over heads a lot

you have to realise that hairdressers are selling a time slot and not a product that can be sold some other time. if ou waste that slot it can never be sold again. bring on deposits. they are desperatly needed across a lot of secters to weed out piss takers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone else get an email from their hairdresser looking for a deposit before being allowed book an appointment, plus charging for PPE?
    Thought it a bit of a cheek myself. Trust and loyalty cuts both ways.

Proper order and id question their business sense if they didnt implement something similar.

Turn up for your appointment and you have nothing to be concerned about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

What's the issue? it's a 50% deposit not a 50% increase.

@the_pen_turner, thats called business, you open a business and hope that you have a big demand for you services, they are after been closed for nearly 3months now, i would have taught opening a little longer would be fine

If they don’t want to wear a mask they can go elsewhere, to be perfectly honest. Salons will not put their staff at risk because a client hasn’t the respect to put a mask on while in close contact. Hairdressers are not paid enough to put their health at risk.

You are correct in saying we are all going to pay for this in tbe long run, but a cleaver business will try to absorb some of the cost and keepp prices as low as possible for the customes. This is not going to last forever, but what im hearing is people moaning about how there business will only be able to run at 50% and are looking immediatly to past this cost over to someone else. As i said the demand iz going to be there, be cleaver, work longer hours , keep you business going and try rid it out and kerp you loyal customers forr when things get better, don't always be moaning and trying to pass the buck
    Hairdressers and salons are a luxury service, I think they’ve certainly made it clear it’s not essential. Without sounding harsh, if you can’t afford the luxury service, don’t have it done. Businesses operate to make money, pay staff and be successful. It’s not a charitable organization.

@the_pen_turner, thats called business, you open a business and hope that you have a big demand for you services, they are after been closed for nearly 3months now, i would have taught opening a little longer would be fine

thats not how overheads work.

Try tell most women that its not an essential service, the reason why it has been closed is because it is a high risk service.

Try tell most women that its not an essential service, the reason why it has been closed is because it is a high risk service.

It is not an essential service. It is luxury. Just because women want it done does not mean they need it done. The services carried out make people feel better so they’re essentially a treat. If you cannot afford the treat, you don’t have it done. The business is under no obligation to absorb the cost so that someone can have a treatment done that they can’t afford.

I lnow exactly how overheads work, this is not nnormal times, your business has been closed for months, when you get to open again and have a huge demand for you services you do you bezt to supply these services or someone else will hence customers go were they are been accomadated, basic business

It is not an essential service. It is luxury. Just because women want it done does not mean they need it done. The services carried out make people feel better so they’re essentially a treat. If you cannot afford the treat, you don’t have it done. The business is under no obligation to absorb the cost so that someone can have a treatment done that they can’t afford.

can you give us an idea of the level of ppe required.

• Advertisement

Cleaver businessis will do what they can to hold on to loyal customers,

Advertisement