Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So people aren't booking up valuable appointments and not turning up. Given the circumstances it's a no-brainer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

If they can't blow dry it there's no point in washing it because you'd be leaving with a wet head. So you can go in for a dry cut and that's it? I could do better than that as a favour for my family members.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I understand that most will only be able to run at reduce capacity but when in business you open longer if a demand is there so overall intake will be much the same.

I suspect many businesses will have no choice but to open longer if they can't meet demand because of social distancing.

Increased hours come at a cost, wages, utilities etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And I'm saying for years restaurants should be doing the same, charging deposits for bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Is this ahead of the July 20 reopening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sugarman20

Many of those overheads are put on hold for the duration of the lockdown and there are grants on offer for website or other unexpected costs, plus the Covid emergency payment.

I, too intend leaving a decent tip with the extra expenses in mind, especially PPE. Being told that it was going to be added to the bill was, to me a slap in the face, seeing as I’ve been going there for years.

That's absolute nonsense. You must know some very soft commercial landlords.

It's completely fair to charge a deposit and a little extra for PPE.

I paid my cobbler in advance yesterday as he has to order in soles for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Increased hours also comes with oncreased proffits, it called business,

Increased hours at reduced capacity doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Excuse my ignorance, but why can’t we get blowdrys if using ppe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Didnt realise you get free electricity and dont have to pay staff after a certain amount of hours. Good to know

While I love my salon and my colourist I definitely won’t be going as frequently as I used to, I’ve learnt a lot during the last few months and making colour last and trimming my own hair is one of them . My hair has a natural shininess and bounce now I’ve never got from the hairdresser . I’ve also realized now how much money I spent on non essentials and how nice it is to live with a little less.

Shopping and hair salons are going to be a lot more functional now. No browsing in shops, no killing a few hours , “treating” ourselves every other day , no coffee and magazines in hair salons. A lot of the pleasure of these things has been eliminated and will continue to be eliminated till the end of this year if not further.

So while I will pay deposit if I have to for my hair appointment in July and pay extra initially for PPE ....from a customer and consumer perspective (not a business perspective ) I will be going far less frequently than I used to .....ditto for non essential shopping.

So while I will pay deposit if I have to for my hair appointment in July and pay extra initially for PPE ....from a customer and consumer perspective (not a business perspective ) I will be going far less frequently than I used to .....ditto for non essential shopping.

I suspect a lot of people will be the same.

This in itself will push costs up or force a lot of businesses to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Nope thats not going to be the case. Longer hours mean the premises is open longer but that doesnt = more clients. Overall the clients who cross the door daily will be down. Staff will more than likely be working more as they will need to spend more time between clients, cleaning planning, consultations on where the client has been, temp checks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Many of those overheads are put on hold for the duration of the lockdown and there are grants on offer for website or other unexpected costs, plus the Covid emergency payment.

I, too intend leaving a decent tip with the extra expenses in mind, especially PPE. Being told that it was going to be added to the bill was, to me a slap in the face, seeing as I’ve been going there for years.

Definitely not my field Maryanne, so perhaps that is why for once we are in agreement :)
    Bit much imo to look for a deposit (let alone one of 50%) from a regular customer.

As to the charge for PPE I do not see why this hairdresser could not just have emailed a price list showing which procedures would require the use of PPE and how much extra that would cost.

I know women have great loyalty to their hairdresser, but loyalty is a two way street and if it was me that would seriously dent mine and I would be going elsewhere. Perhaps not immediately because of the present situation, but I would certainly look on it as a strong possibility for the future.

I can fully understand that hairdressers will look for a deposit due to changes etc. but let's not forget that a lot of customers circumstances have changed also,someone might want to book a few weeks in advance for the week they get paid and may not have the 50% deposit, some might struggle with increased prices due to their own circumstances changing due Covid,it's not all about the hairdressers as lots of people have and will be affected financially.

I used to get a blow dry weekly for years but I've also decided to stop this,I don't need it and it was just a habit tbh,also my hair is in much better condition, I will continue getting a colour and an odd blow dry but that's it,will be cutting back the weekly traipsing and buying crap also, not meanness just I've realised how meaningless it was,I feel there will be a huge surge for appointments once businesses reopen but it may drop significantly after that ,just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's illegal for them to be open at the moment?

These cash jobs with no.tqx to revenue?

I'd agree with the OP then. Covid payment plus taxless payment for a haircut...buy your own PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

noodler wrote: »
    It's illegal for them to be open at the moment?

These cash jobs with no.tqx to revenue?

I'd agree with the OP then. Covid payment plus taxless payment for a haircut...buy your own PPE.

They aren’t open, they are taking deposits to secure appointments for when they reopen on July 20th to ensure no time wasters take appointments they have no intention of showing up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Should be the norm for hairdressers and restaurants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I have plenty of understanding. The new regulations won’t affect the number of customers at any one time, as its a small salon. Charging strangers a deposit is fine, but as a long standing customer, I’m just a tad peeved.

In your case I'd check then if it was a standardised email and whether they want a deposit from you
    If your salon has to reduce customers, then it is obviously going to be reducing its income

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Addle wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but why can’t we get blowdrys if using ppe?

Vague, not-very-scientific fears about dryers 'blowing the virus around'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Vague, not-very-scientific fears about dryers 'blowing the virus around'.

I thought it was thought not to like heat?!

Well I won’t be going to the hairdresser if I can’t have a blow dry anyways.

The demand is obviously there so i cant see a lack of customers, hairdressers have been crying out to open, when they can open there will be no shortage of customers. There is going to be reduce capacity in all places hairdressers included but if your in business and the demand is there you either extend your opening hours or close as normal, i know what i would be doing. Every business will have to change the way they operate,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The demand is obviously there so i cant see a lack of customers, hairdressers have been crying out to open, when they can open there will be no shortage of customers. There is going to be reduce capacity in all places hairdressers included but if your in business and the demand is there you either extend your opening hours or close as normal, i know what i would be doing. Every business will have to change the way they operate,

There will be no shortage of customers initially and it will be a literal feast for hairdressers. But it does appear to be a very competitive business where loyal customers are the life blood. As the restrictions hopefully ease off any who have be looked upon as having taken advantage, especially by loyal customers, could find themselves in a famine.

@ charlie14, exactly, but unfortunetly us irish have very short memories. As i already said, no profits should be made on ppe. I for one will never step back inside a barbers, i bought a clippers and am very happy with the results. I noticed over the last 6to8 months the two barbers i used regularly the prices increased on average by 40 to 55%, crazy increase. Womens stylists are different and charge a premium for this.

I have a deal for you.

I'll pay you half your hourly rate and to make up for the drop in wages it I'll let you work double the hours. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I'm not a hairdresser but in a similar close contact appointment based service. We were allowed reopen on the 18th of may. I never take a deposit for an appointment but put our prices up by 5 euro. It was well over due regardless but now that covers ppe. Our working hours are longer, our profit margin is smaller and its physically more taxing. However I still wouldn't disrespect my clients by asking for a deposit. We very rarely have a no show.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

It's to ensure the customer will turn up, everyone is in a mad rush to get their mops seen to. Imagine running at half capacity with loads of no-shows - it'd be a nightmare for any business.

I will avoid the rush myself. I trimmed the ends from mine last month. There's nothing wrong with waiting another month or two. In fact, probably better off than risking a rushed hair cut with old dyes left on a shelf for too long.

@Graham , so what do you think should happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭iuil1999

I understand the deposit part. Too many appointments get cancelled and then they've a chair idle for a few hours.
    Charging for PPE though...that's cheeky.

Advertisement