Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

i think thats me. really 450 to do your hair. :eek::eek::eek::eek:. please tell me your joking.
    i probably only spend 50 euro a year on hair cuts

I get tape extensions now which are slightly cheaper but when I was getting Great Lengths bonds I’d pay around €600- €800 for enough to do my whole head (price would vary depending on extension length) full head of highlights, toner, and treatments. Bonds would do you for around five months. Tapes have to be maintained every 8 weeks but you can reuse them. It is shockingly expensive alright but you can’t beat the feeling it gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I used to spend a couple hundred each visit and then I got balayage done and now I just spend under 100 for a toner and trim, i was amazed at the difference. (I sound like one of those ads where they shop in lidl and save! :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I get tape extensions now which are slightly cheaper but when I was getting Great Lengths bonds I’d pay around €600- €800 for enough to do my whole head (price would vary depending on extension length) full head of highlights, toner, and treatments. Bonds would do you for around five months. Tapes have to be maintained every 8 weeks but you can reuse them. It is shockingly expensive alright but you can’t beat the feeling it gives.

ye the feeling that a great weight has ben lifted from your shoulder that you use to carry you hand bag.

im shocked at the price. 1000 euro i have probably spent less than that in my life time on hair cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

ye the feeling that a great weight has ben lifted from your shoulder that you use to carry you hand bag.

im shocked at the price. 1000 euro i have probably spent less than that in my life time on hair cuts

Yes prices are already ridiculous to be honest. For cuts and colour the product is not expensive but they really take the proverbial with what they charge for their time.
    I used to pay 120 quid for highlights and a trim would be every 6 weeks or so, and that’s be on the low end of the wedge. Add a treatment, a bottle of their overpriced “magic” shampoo and it’s closer to
    200. Anyways since doing my own hair and quite nicely I might add, it costs me the princely sum of 25 quid for my supplies from a salon supplier. Hair is not rocket science either, much as they’d love you to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

GT89 wrote: »
    A good barber/hairdresser will disinfect the equipment in barbacide before each client anyway covid 19 or not. How much is a disposable version of the gown they use I'd imagine not much more than 50c. I don't really see the need for perspex either as the person cutting your hair is going to be in close contact.

Its closer to €5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Its closer to €5.

For 100 of them maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

For 100 of them maybe.

Add in the extra charges to have the contaminated rubbish collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

For 100 of them maybe.

Nope a disposable gown that gives correct coverage not just a small bag type would be very close to €5 regardless of reasonable quantities

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I wouldn't trust PPE provided by them. I would bring my own.
    Mine also say that they can’t offer blow dries until it’s safe to do so, but I’m not sure if that’s a blanket ban, or just on a wash and blow dry as a service. It would be hard to judge a cut and colour correctly on wet hair!

No way i would leave without checking.

I have been doing my own hair and happy enough to continue until they offer an adequate service.

I never felt very valued as a customer in most salons. TBH i don't feel overly generous toward them despite having worked in salons.

screamer wrote: »
    Yes prices are already ridiculous to be honest. For cuts and colour the product is not expensive but they really take the proverbial with what they charge for their time.
    I used to pay 120 quid for highlights and a trim would be every 6 weeks or so, and that’s be on the low end of the wedge. Add a treatment, a bottle of their overpriced “magic” shampoo and it’s closer to
    200. Anyways since doing my own hair and quite nicely I might add, it costs me the princely sum of 25 quid for my supplies from a salon supplier. Hair is not rocket science either, much as they’d love you to believe.

Can I ask what you supplier you use?

I have been finding mine very unreliable right now.

• Advertisement

I hope none of you are naive enough to think they are NOT making a profit on PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

thehamo wrote: »
    Jebus. Level of ignorance here is palpable

Business expenses that have not been cut during Covid

Rent : extortionate
    Water
    Light/ electricity: still charged on an estimated bill
    Insurance: again, extortionate.
    For some people rates are still being paid.

Thats without ANY income coming in bare in mind.

Talk about loyalty? Surely loyalty goes both ways? God bloody knows if i was a regualr to a place and loved it so much I'd be bending over backwards to help them get back on their feet, because you know theyre going to properly look afyer you. A 50% deposit is the LEAST of my worries unless i intend in making the appointment and not showing up. No shows are the curse of the service industry and like someone said, i guarantee there are a rake of people now who will book in appointments and change their mind an hour before hand

This is peoples livelyhoods. And business is NOT going to pick up where they left off from.
    And Karen is giving out because she has to pay half of what she was going to pay anyway upfront because shes hurt about her loyalty factor.

RE grants: anyone who's in business knows that 2grand is but a drop in a lake and will get you sweet f. A. Plus, contrary to what some may think, these grants dont go in to your bank account, they usually inundated with terms and conditions. Someone mentioned the web grant. All well and good, bit what if you didn't have a website to begin with? Theres another new expense. You have to pay 10% plus the vat so youre still looking at paying around 800 from your own pocket, a new expense to add to the list.

If you don't want to pay the deposit because in inflicts on your consumer confidence, dont, and go somehwere else. But expect your favourite place to shut down without the support of the customers it had before hand.

Water and electricity are metered for businesses. No usage small bill. A estimated can be corrected with the supply of the correct reading.

I wouldn't trust PPE provided by them. I would bring my own..

PPE isn’t just face masks and gowns. The work station, basins etc have to be deep cleaned after every client. Though a jumbo bottle of domestos would go a long way!

Anyway, I’ve paid my deposit because she’s an amazing stylist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I hope none of you are naive enough to think they are NOT making a profit on PPE.

It’s not about the actual cost of the equipment anyway. Measures to prevent virus transmission mean they can probably fit less customers in the premises at a given time and that taking care of each customer take a bit longer.

All this means they will deal with a smaller amount of customers each day, i.e. have a reduced income while many of their costs remain the same.

This obviously leads to price increases, and whether it is passed to the customers as a PPE fee, as an increase in their usual fee, or a mix of both just is a marketing decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Add in the extra charges to have the contaminated rubbish collected.

Not every place is going to use all that PPE some I suspect will be more lax and just use a mask and dispoable gown

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

GT89 wrote: »
    Not every place is going to use all that PPE some I suspect will be more lax and just use a mask and dispoable gown

yes and soe are going to overboard and use way more. it will average out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I hope all salons will treat this seriously and not cut corners on cleaning and hygiene - especially the ones that usually do. I taught QQI modules for years to students doing Hair and Beauty qualifications, and oversaw their work experience and Health&Safety module. It was a real eye opener in terms of poor practices that seemed to be widespread. Towels being put through the tumble dryer with no washing for re-use on other customers was reported by nearly every student on placement.

I hope all salons will treat this seriously and not cut corners on cleaning and hygiene - especially the ones that usually do. I taught QQI modules for years to students doing Hair and Beauty qualifications, and oversaw their work experience and Health&Safety module. It was a real eye opener in terms of poor practices that seemed to be widespread. Towels being put through the tumble dryer with no washing for re-use on other customers was reported by nearly every student on placement.
    Okay, I’ve been in the industry for ten years and I have never once seen that happen. Not even one time.

Okay, I’ve been in the industry for ten years and I have never once seen that happen. Not even one time.

Glad to hear it. But over the years I've supervised placement for somewhere in the region of 400 students and the vast majority reported this as the norm in their salon placement. Everywhere from the biggest chain to small local places. Less so in beauty, but still not uncommon.

I can assure you, that would be very uncommon in beauty. The industry is not perfect, I’ve worked in some places that would have had some therapists double dip their wax spatulas and that’s honestly as gross as it got, and even now that would have been more prevalent in salons years ago before advanced waxing and premium wax became a thing. I have never seen it, in any beauty salon that I’ve worked in - and believe me there’s no love lost with some of them - that any dirty towels have been reused on clients. That is an outrageous claim to make when you are relying on anecdotal accounts.

• Advertisement

I can assure you, that would be very uncommon in beauty. The industry is not perfect, I’ve worked in some places that would have had some therapists double dip their wax spatulas and that’s honestly as gross as it got, and even now that would have been more prevalent in salons years ago before advanced waxing and premium wax became a thing. I have never seen it, in any beauty salon that I’ve worked in - and believe me there’s no love lost with some of them - that any dirty towels have been reused on clients. That is an outrageous claim to make when you are relying on anecdotal accounts.

I made no claim other than to state what was reported by a majority of around 400 students on placement in hair and/or beauty salons. You can dismiss it as unlikely and that is absolutely fair enough based on your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The standard of hygiene will vary hugely from salon to salon. Some are spotless and some disgusting. Knowing the industry very well id imagine most fall in the middle where there is a basic level of hygiene.

Paper put on all beds before a client lies on them, no double dipping, therapist hand washing all the time between clients, gloved hands for intimate waxing especially. Single use items. Equipment sterilized. Surfaces wiped and cleaned.

Can I ask what you supplier you use?

I have been finding mine very unreliable right now.

Pm’d you there

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

I just heard of one hairdressers that's adding €50 to the price of cut and colour. Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

MsQuinn wrote: »
    I just heard of one hairdressers that's adding €50 to the price of cut and colour. Is that normal?

Like upping their usual price for the service? I know some salons are charging more for having to correct at home dye jobs. Would that be it?

Peter Mark and associated salons are adding:
    €45 for root growth longer than 2cm.
    €60 for colour correction after box dye.
    €45 for colour restoration to correct fading.

It is to be decided on a case by case basis following consultation. I would expect to pay more but with most people falling into category 1 and 3, I think €90 extra is excessive. I wouldn't have much problem with the additional cost for dealing with box dye. Lots of people needing a patch test too if colour not done since January.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My friend is reopening her salon and she has put up her prices temporarily to cover the expense of PPE. Its a high demand service she'll have no problem filling appointments.

Peter Mark and associated salons are adding:
    €45 for root growth longer than 2cm.
    €60 for colour correction after box dye.
    €45 for colour restoration to correct fading.

It is to be decided on a case by case basis following consultation. I would expect to pay more but with most people falling into category 1 and 3, I think €90 extra is excessive. I wouldn't have much problem with the additional cost for dealing with box dye. Lots of people needing a patch test too if colour not done since January.

Ha, and they were expensive before..... that’s just madness.

Personally I didn't find Style Club (it is PM owned) expensive by Dublin city centre standards. €101 for cut and colour. I have to go elsewhere anyway as I can no longer travel to the city centre due to the virus, but would I pay €191, even once? I'm not sure I would tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

No problem with paying extra for PPE but this Peter Marks pricing is just absolute nonsense. Most people are going to have more than 2cm of regrowth & a faded colour, seeing as hairdressers have been closed for 15 weeks now?

No issue with correcting a box dye job because I know that’s more work but the rest is just ridiculous and punishing people for something they have no control over.

Advertisement