Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Options

Comments

jrosen wrote: »
    Will people still tip i wonder?

I just tipped my hairdresser €10 today.
    Why?

Because she isn't my regular expensive salon, she is a hairdresser my best friend uses, her salon is at home, separate to her house, she has always only taken one person at a time. She really facilitated me giving me an appointment this week when I am not even a client of hers. I work shifts so getting an appointment that suits might have been difficult with the initial frenzy!

To say the experience was amazing is no understatement. Huge separate building, completely kitted out as a salon, she was wearing a perspex mask, apron and gloves. Social distance wasnt a problem as I was the only one there. Apart from the above everything was just like my own salon.
    I brought my own little flask of coffee and a magazine.

She did a half head of highights and lowlights, cut, and blowdry for €60!! I'm over the moon with my hair, the colour is amazing, light blonde and caramel and really well blended. The cut was even more needed than the colour.

I rang my regular expensive salon on 2 May and at that stage I was No. 1 on the list, in fact they only started a list that day because I rang. Since then I have text them and emailed them. I got no response, no email or phone call with an appointment, only a message on Facebook saying that people who had appointments cancelled in March were first and everyone else would be contacted in due course. As a regular client who has probably spent thousands with them over the years, always getting expensive highlights I wasn't very happy with their communication and decided to look elsewhere. (They also said they would be increasing their prices but didn't say by how much)

I couldn't be happier that I went to this new hairdresser today No hassle, no price hikes, no crowds, ample social distancing, the ultimate in a clean environment and an appointment within days. I wont be going back to my regular salon after this. I don't feel my loyalty or business has been valued.

Also got my Botox finally topped up this week with a skin doctor (GP) in my town, not the clinic in Dublin I used to go to.
    Between that and the hair I feel its given me such a boost. I will be doing both less frequently from now on.... but its nice to feel I can still enjoy getting highlights without getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Delighted for you sweetmaggie! Your post made me so excited to get all my bits and bobs done. It’s like it’s Christmas week next week. I really can’t wait!

I just tipped my hairdresser €10 today.
    Why?

Because she isn't my regular expensive salon, she is a hairdresser my best friend uses, her salon is at home, separate to her house, she has always only taken one person at a time. She really facilitated me giving me an appointment this week when I am not even a client of hers. I work shifts so getting an appointment that suits might have been difficult with the initial frenzy!

To say the experience was amazing is no understatement. Huge separate building, completely kitted out as a salon, she was wearing a perspex mask, apron and gloves. Social distance wasnt a problem as I was the only one there. Apart from the above everything was just like my own salon.
    I brought my own little flask of coffee and a magazine.

She did a half head of highights and lowlights, cut, and blowdry for €60!! I'm over the moon with my hair, the colour is amazing, light blonde and caramel and really well blended. The cut was even more needed than the colour.

I rang my regular expensive salon on 2 May and at that stage I was No. 1 on the list, in fact they only started a list that day because I rang. Since then I have text them and emailed them. I got no response, no email or phone call with an appointment, only a message on Facebook saying that people who had appointments cancelled in March were first and everyone else would be contacted in due course. As a regular client who has probably spent thousands with them over the years, always getting expensive highlights I wasn't very happy with their communication and decided to look elsewhere. (They also said they would be increasing their prices but didn't say by how much)

I couldn't be happier that I went to this new hairdresser today No hassle, no price hikes, no crowds, ample social distancing, the ultimate in a clean environment and an appointment within days. I wont be going back to my regular salon after this. I don't feel my loyalty or business has been valued.

Also got my Botox finally topped up this week with a skin doctor (GP) in my town, not the clinic in Dublin I used to go to.
    Between that and the hair I feel its given me such a boost. I will be doing both less frequently from now on.... but its nice to feel I can still enjoy getting highlights without getting ripped off.

I thought that Hairdressers weren’t opening until next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Exactly, and I would also ask is this person paying rates and everything else associated with a legitimate business .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Exactly, and I would also ask is this person paying rates and everything else associated with a legitimate business .

Why are you wondering that? Why do you automatically assume the hairdresser isn’t paying rates or running a legitimate business?

I really do despair sometimes.

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Why are you wondering that? Why do you automatically assume the hairdresser isn’t paying rates or running a legitimate business?

If she was legitimate she'd not be open.
    Post up her details & I'll check with revenue.

If she was legit, she’d obey the Covid guidelines and stay closed until next week.

Two days won’t make a blind bit of difference, most are open since earlier this week for the staff to get their hair done before the madness starts on Monday anyway. My own has salon opened on Tuesday for the staff to get their hair done first.

This curtain twitching BS is getting beyond annoying, begrudging a business opening 2 days early after being closed for 15 weeks is ridiculous. We’re lucky they’re even in a position to reopen at all.

Dunnes were selling clothing and homeware throughout the pandemic when non essential retail wasn’t supposed to be open, their competitors were forced to remain closed yet they traded as normal yet I didn’t see anyone wanting to check if they were a legitimate business.

Today is Friday, hairdressers open on Monday but I’m working early shifts so this lovely lady facilitated me late this afternoon , as I’m still waiting for an acknowledgement, any acknowledgement from my regular salon.
    I’m over the moon.
    I don’t think one working day is going to make a difference to Covid :rolleyes:
    , I was completely alone in the salon , I’ve more chance of getting it on the beach at the moment .

Augeo wrote: »
    If she was legitimate she'd not be open.
    Post up her details & I'll check with revenue.

:D:D:D......small minded begrudgery, all sorts of businesses have been working for weeks behind closed doors. Get over it and be thankful life is getting back to normal

• Advertisement

Delighted for you sweetmaggie! Your post made me so excited to get all my bits and bobs done. It’s like it’s Christmas week next week. I really can’t wait!

I know Retro , I hadn’t realized how much I missed my hair being cut (more than the colour ), you know that feeling when it’s been cut and layered again, when the stylist runs their fingers through it even when it’s wet and it feels great. Mine had got so long and the ends were really awful , shape was completely gone.

Getting pedicure on Monday and that’s me up to date again ! The rest I do myself . Enjoy it ladies, this time 2 weeks we’ll all be feeling a million dollars again , it’s been a long time coming .

:D:D:D......small minded begrudgery, all sorts of businesses have been working for weeks behind closed doors. Get over it and be thankful life is getting back to normal

Yawn..... This lady only did one day so?
    Me hole.

I'm not begrudging BTW... Delighted you got sorted

botox

Augeo wrote: »
    Yawn..... This lady only did one day so?
    Me hole.

I'm not begrudging BTW... Delighted you got sorted

botox

Spoken truly like someone who has no idea how botox even works, but don’t let that get in the way of trying to take the piss out of someone who was in no way uncivil to you.

Salons are all opening to the public Monday. Taking a client one working day early after being closed for 15 weeks is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Its not legitimate if she has opened prior to the governments legislation regardless. Also attached to house sounds dodge from a planning perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Spoken truly like someone who has no idea how botox even works, but don’t let that get in the way of trying to take the piss out of someone who was in no way uncivil to you.

Its really funny how so many people will complain about how bad botox looks when what they're complaining about isn't even a result of botox. I see it all the time people, people posting images of bad lip fillers and referring to it as botox :pac:

Two days won’t make a blind bit of difference, most are open since earlier this week for the staff to get their hair done before the madness starts on Monday anyway. My own has salon opened on Tuesday for the staff to get their hair done first.

This curtain twitching BS is getting beyond annoying, begrudging a business opening 2 days early after being closed for 15 weeks is ridiculous. We’re lucky they’re even in a position to reopen at all.

Dunnes were selling clothing and homeware throughout the pandemic when non essential retail wasn’t supposed to be open, their competitors were forced to remain closed yet they traded as normal yet I didn’t see anyone wanting to check if they were a legitimate business.

Its not curtain twitching. Other businesses are losing out while trying to stay legitimate and here is someone else saying i'm going to get ahead of the pack and make some money. This isn't the playground and snitches get stitches. Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Apologies if this has been mentioned but what would an older person do, say somebody without an ATM card, who is just used to going in paying cash ? Somebody who has lost a card of had one stolen ?

Personally if I’m operating a business like that and a customer made two bookings, one in March and then one in June and showed for neither I’m putting them on a blacklist... first time.. “ok if something happens, it’s an expected courtesy that you’d give us a heads up by giving us a 20 second phone call as soon as you know so the slot can be given to somebody else and the stylist won’t have gone to the effort of preparing.. second time, “ ok, unfortunately the time and space for clients are valuable and at a premium, we have had to turn clients away in order to be able to meet your booking.. apologies but we have had this issue previously but it’s happening again, unfortunately as it’s not seemingly a service you want from us having no showed twice, we are no longer in a position to accept booking from you”.

Simple, to the point.

Its not curtain twitching. Other businesses are losing out while trying to stay legitimate and here is someone else saying i'm going to get ahead of the pack and make some money. This isn't the playground and snitches get stitches. Grow up.

It’s one day. It’s been a long 15 weeks, try to get some perspective instead of getting yourself into a tizzy over something inconsequential.
    Your faux concern for planning regulations is so transparent when just a few posts ago you were wanting their details to check out their legitimacy with revenue.

Most salons are open all week sorting the hair of their staff out, arranging appointments and organising the new salon setup since last Monday regardless. Their staff are all already back to work.

I could maybe understand your concerns if it was mid May and they were opening way ahead of the guidelines, but this lady’s appointment was on a Friday evening, they’re allowed up on Monday. Not even a whole working day in the difference, saying it’s ‘ahead of the pack’ is a bit of an exaggeration.

I sincerely hope you took the same approach with Dunnes selling clothes and homeware while their competitors were forced to remain closed throughout the lockdown.
    It was an absolute disgrace that all clothing and homeware shops were forced to shut for over 12 weeks while Dunnes traded as normal. Were you looking to report them to revenue too?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think a lot of people will look back in a few weeks/months and be like jaysus.. can’t believe I was so worked up over that. A bit of perspective needed I think.

In a years time or even a few months some posters will look back in embarrassment at their hysteria over a business opening a day ahead of schedule, 15 weeks after they were shutdown !

I’ve been working throughout Covid , in an office , and the people who are reacting in shock at a hairdresser opening a week or a day early are those who haven’t been working in all this time . Guaranteed!
    The rest of the us have been getting on with things, dealing with the public , with emergencies, with work issues , back living a life with all these new changes , living with Covid instead of being paralyzed by fear and by rules .

• Advertisement

In a years time or even a few months some posters will look back in embarrassment at their hysteria over a business opening a day ahead of schedule, 15 weeks after they were shutdown !

I’ve been working throughout Covid , in an office , and the people who are reacting in shock at a hairdresser opening a week or a day early are those who haven’t been working in all this time . Guaranteed!
    The rest of the us have been getting on with things, dealing with the public , with emergencies, with work issues , back living a life with all these new changes , living with Covid instead of being paralyzed by fear and by rules .

Paralyzed by fear and rules, or acting on expert advice and instruction ? The latter is how it’s been. Acting on expert advice and instruction and keeping as many people possible from contracting a serious illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dexpat

Haven't had hair for at least 25 years. Was hoping that it would grow back during the pandemic but no luck so f##k yez all and your hairdresser aappointments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

What a load of rubbish. I've been working all throughout this crisis in healthcare and can assure you that I am not paralyzed by fear. I am horrified at the irresponsibility of this hairdresser flouting the rules that are there to protect us all.

She didn't open one day ahead, it was 4 days ahead and where do you draw the line.... if 4 days is ok, is 8 days ok, if so is 12 days ok. She is selfish and trying to make a quick buck. Plenty of hairdressers are planning to work over long days 7 days a week to catch up on their work and keep their clients happy. I salute them and can't wait to see mine when they are allowed open.

Minier81 wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish. I've been working all throughout this crisis in healthcare and can assure you that I am not paralyzed by fear. I am horrified at the irresponsibility of this hairdresser flouting the rules that are there to protect us all.

She didn't open one day ahead, it was 4 days ahead and where do you draw the line.... if 4 days is ok, is 8 days ok, if so is 12 days ok. She is selfish and trying to make a quick buck. Plenty of hairdressers are planning to work over long days 7 days a week to catch up on their work and keep their clients happy. I salute them and can't wait to see mine when they are allowed open.

What a hysterical response. Selfish and trying to make a quick buck? Her business has been closed for 15 weeks, that’s one week short of 4 months, over a quarter of a year.
    Consider yourself lucky you had a job to go to throughout lockdown while many, including this hairdresser, were out of work.
    Can you please explain how there is 4 days between a Friday evening and a Monday morning?

To put it into perspective, she took an appointment roughly 65 hours before guidelines recommended she be allowed to. That’s all.
    You’d swear she travelled cross country to get her highlights done in the middle of a COVID ward during the peak in mid April with some of the reactions here.

The difference between taking an appointment earlier this evening and waiting till Monday morning is inconsequential.

To put it into perspective, she took an appointment roughly 65 hours before guidelines recommended she be allowed to.

She took an appointment roughly 65 hours before the law allowed her to. Guidelines and recommendations don’t enter into it. It’s LAW.

If we all pulled some reason, compelling sob story out of our asses as to why we should be breaking restrictions we’d be looking at the country and the health of its citizens in the shît.

As it is we’ve done brilliantly, because of compliance, understanding, selflessness, sucking it up and being there for one another.

No hall passes, regardless of hardships, compelling stories, otherwise it will turn into Hans Christian Anderson time with more fairy stories then you can shake a stick at... rules are the same for all of us.

Strumms wrote: »
    She took an appointment roughly 65 hours before the law allowed her to. Guidelines and recommendations don’t enter into it. It’s LAW.

If we all pulled some reason, compelling sob story out of our asses as to why we should be breaking restrictions we’d be looking at the country and the health of its citizens in the shît.

As it is we’ve done brilliantly, because of compliance, understanding, selflessness, sucking it up and being there for one another.

No hall passes, regardless of hardships, compelling stories, otherwise it will turn into Hans Christian Anderson time with more fairy stories then you can shake a stick at... rules are the same for all of us.

Any thoughts on Dunnes selling clothing and homeware throughout the pandemic while their competitors had lay off all their staff and remain shut for 12 weeks?
    Tesco, Euro Giant & Dealz also opened their respective home & clothing sections long before they were allowed to?
    It was the law then too but no one seemed to care, they must have gotten that hall pass you’re talking about?

It was one on one in an empty salon, 65 hours before Monday morning. The risk is so low it’s negligible and if PP and her stylist were happy to go ahead with precautions in place then I don’t see what the issue is.
    As I said, if it was mid May I could understand the hysteria and anger but it’s literally a few hours of the difference.

Throwing around words like selfish, irresponsible and money grabbing is quite nasty when we’re talking about a stylist who has been out of a job for nearly 4 months and a client who worked throughout the pandemic as an essential worker.

Throwing around words like selfish, irresponsible and money grabbing is quite nasty when we’re talking about a stylist who has been out of a job for nearly 4 months and a client who worked throughout the pandemic as an essential worker.

Nasty ? No accurately descriptive as pertains to the situation and the behavior of the stylist/owner.

You can add to the list.. ohhh client was an essential worker, stylist out of a job for xxxx, add in mental health and we have the whole gallery of excuses lined up ffs. :rolleyes:

Strumms wrote: »
    Nasty ? No accurately descriptive as pertains to the situation and the behavior of the stylist/owner.

You can add to the list.. ohhh client was an essential worker, stylist out of a job for xxxx, add in mental health and we have the whole gallery of excuses lined up ffs. :rolleyes:

Do you have any comment on Dunnes, Tesco and Dealz selling homeware and clothing throughout the pandemic or are they the exceptions with the hall passes etc?
    What was their excuse? Or is it only ok for some businesses to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Dexpat wrote: »
    Haven't had hair for at least 25 years. Was hoping that it would grow back during the pandemic but no luck so f##k yez all and your hairdresser aappointments

Maybe time to experiment with a fancy new wig or extensions - you can say it grew back with all the de-stressing and relaxing you did while in isolation!!

Regarding PPE is there not a tax write off against business expenses for this? I’m sure it could easily be slotted into some business overhead category and written off against taxes due.

Also as our world leader Trump pointed out covid- 19 can be treated with bleach - one of the standard and cheapest cleaning products on the market - 34c retail for a litre or so in your local discount supermarket - so lets hope those PPE charges arw not pisstakes.

Masks - even the ones I saw in the chemist the other day stated that they did not prevent microviral transfer but only acted as a barrier to people sneezing, spitting or coughing on you. :0 So given that they are not the medical M95 ones that filter the virus or much of it there is no reason why people cannot bring and use their own - with no added cost I would have hoped.

A special mention to rip off Peter Mark whose added charges effectively make up a missing visit per client for the dates they were shut - this is really an exploitation of the situaton and I hope it totally backfires on them. (thou I
    doubt it will as nobody wants to look like a scraggly post covid witch!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Regarding PPE is there not a tax write off against business expenses for this? I’m sure it could easily be slotted into some business overhead category and written off against taxes due.
    !)

"tax write off"??

I don't understand what you mean.

Yes it's an expense. But corporation tax is 12.5% and in order to be paying it you need to be making a net profit.

A net profit is after you pay rent, rates, utilities, staff, employer prsi, products, depreciation etc etc etc

Can't see many salons making a net profit this year.

Also the biggest cost in salons is time. So if a client needs extra treatment because they did a botched home job, that will cost more.

But sensitive people use it to become "affected" and whine on social media and then others jump onto the bandwagon without understanding the issue

Advertisement