Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Thats insane, wouldnt pay that. I have my appointment, offered my hairdresser to pay before and she said no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

SusieBlue wrote: »
    No problem with paying extra for PPE but this Peter Marks pricing is just absolute nonsense. Most people are going to have more than 2cm of regrowth & a faded colour, seeing as hairdressers have been closed for 15 weeks now?

No issue with correcting a box dye job because I know that’s more work but the rest is just ridiculous and punishing people for something they have no control over.

Exactly. Charging extra for correcting a colour, grand, as I’m sure that takes more time and more products are used. Does it really make much of a difference if your regrowth is 2cm or 1cm? The colour will be going on all the one piece of foil anyway. That’s just ridiculous and pure capitalising on people’s desperation

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Christ, I’d say my hair pushes 2cm growth within 8 weeks during summer! It also fades, as all colour does. There’s literally no justification for that, it’s utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Yourells salons across Galway are at this **** too. €50 deposit and a price increase even for all customers. No appointment if you don't pay it immediately.

I think it's poor form to treat long term clients like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Yourells salons across Galway are at this **** too. €50 deposit and a price increase even for all customers. No appointment if you don't pay it immediately.

That is poor form.

Im rebooked, they didnt ask for a deposit at all. Am with them a long time. I would have happily paid one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

How would you feel if there was no deposit requirement and you had to wait an extra month to be seen to cause loads of other people put themselves down for appointments they had no intention of taking?

The deposit to secure the appointment means the waiting list won’t be clogged up with time wasters.
    I’m a long term client in my salon and I had no problem paying it for that reason. It meant I secured an appointment within the first week of reopening and that makes it worth it IMO.
    I also really like the salon owner & my hairdresser, the always do a good job so I’m happy to do anything that will make reopening easier for them.

How would you feel if there was no deposit requirement and you had to wait an extra month to be seen to cause loads of other people put themselves down for appointments they had no intention of taking?

The deposit to secure the appointment means the waiting list won’t be clogged up with time wasters.
    I’m a long term client in my salon and I had no problem paying it for that reason. It meant I secured an appointment within the first week of reopening and that makes it worth it IMO.
    I also really like the salon owner & my hairdresser, the always do a good job so I’m happy to do anything that will make reopening easier for them.

Sounds like your salon knows how it treat their long term clients. Unlike Yourells.

Sounds like your salon knows how it treat their long term clients. Unlike Yourells.

My salon has already charged me in full and my appointment isn’t until the weekend after next. I don’t mind because my place is secure, so a €50 deposit doesn’t seem like a big ask to me.

A lot of other salons are upping their prices slightly to accommodate PPE costs too, no issue with that either.

My salon has already charged me in full and my appointment isn’t until the weekend after next. I don’t mind because my place is secure, so a €50 deposit doesn’t seem like a big ask to me.

A lot of other salons are upping their prices slightly to accommodate PPE costs too, no issue with that either.

If every business starts asking for €50 or 50% deposits would you mind that? I personally think it's cheeky to ask clients that are YEARS giving a salon business for deposits. IMO.

I totally understand it for new clients. But to ask clients that never cancel and are years attending a salon I think it bad customer service.

If every business starts asking for €50 or 50% deposits would you mind that? I personally think it's cheeky to ask clients that are YEARS giving a salon business for deposits. IMO.

I totally understand it for new clients. But to ask clients that never cancel and are years attending a salon I think it bad customer service.

I’ll be paying it anyway at some point so it doesn’t really bother me whether I pay it to secure the appointment or whether I pay on the day. It’s all the one.

It’s probably only a short term thing to weed out the time wasters over the next month or two anyway. They’ve been closed for so long even one cancelled appointment is a disaster for them.

• Advertisement

What if they need it to be able to open at all? To buy stock and PPE? Christ I dont get the issue with paying a deposit - you are going to be paying the same total either way and by paying a deposit it will help them get up and running after being closed for 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

I am waiting to get an appointment with my salon. L8nf time customer usually get cut and colour every 6-8 weeks. I have no problem paying a deposit but won't be impressed if there are big price hikes

lashes34 wrote: »
    What if they need it to be able to open at all? To buy stock and PPE? Christ I dont get the issue with paying a deposit - you are going to be paying the same total either way and by paying a deposit it will help them get up and running after being closed for 4 months.

So GPs, Dentists etc should all start demanding deposits also?

Minier81 wrote: »
    I am waiting to get an appointment with my salon. L8nf time customer usually get cut and colour every 6-8 weeks. I have no problem paying a deposit but won't be impressed if there are big price hikes

Well with all the talk of a recession I'd say it's foolish to up prices even in the short term.

Most ladies are getting cuts/colour/highlights after lockdown......not just a blowdry. So they'll be paying out enough. Staff can use reusable masks and hand gel isn't that expensive.

Good business will try to hold on to long-term customers not take advantage with deposits and increases.

GP’s never closed throughout the pandemic, they just moved a lot of their services to phone consultations.

Some dentists are taking deposits/full payment over the phone both to secure the appointment & so that close contact won’t be needed with reception staff when paying.

I really think this will only be a short term measure to deter any time wasters so I really don’t see what the big deal is.
    They have a lot to lose by accepting appointments from people who may not show up.

Well with all the talk of a recession I'd say it's foolish to up prices even in the short term.

Most ladies are getting cuts/colour/highlights after lockdown......not just a blowdry. So they'll be paying out enough. Staff can use reusable masks and hand gel isn't that expensive.

Good business will try to hold on to long-term customers not take advantage with deposits and increases.

Asking for a deposit and a slight increase in pricing to accommodate PPE isn’t taking taking advantage of long term customers.

GP’s never closed throughout the pandemic, they just moved a lot of their services to phone consultations.

Some dentists are taking deposits/full payment over the phone both to secure the appointment & so that close contact won’t be needed with reception staff when paying.

I really think this will only be a short term measure to deter any time wasters so I really don’t see what the big deal is.
    They have a lot to lose by accepting appointments from people who may not show up.

It's called loyalty. Trust the long term customers. The ones who are coming for years. Don't demand deposits and increases. IMO

Also not everyone uses contactless payment either. What about those people?

Asking for a deposit and a slight increase in pricing to accommodate PPE isn’t taking taking advantage of long term customers.

What's a slight increase? The masks are reusable for staff, I assume they'll use washable ones given clients will also have to bring their own one. They do need hand gel. They don't supply masks for clients.

So whats fair?

It's called loyalty. Trust the long term customers. The one who are coming for years. Don't demand deposits and increases. IMO

Also not everyone uses contactless payment either. What about those people?

If you’re a long term loyal customer then surely you like both your hairdresser & the salon, and as a short term measure you would suck it up in order to help them with their reopening overheads and their appointment scheduling?
    It’s really not a big ask. It’s money you’d be paying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Yes, I think you would be surprised at the amount of people who don't show up for appointments.
    Although I just had a call from my salons and no request for a deposit or rise in cost.

• Advertisement

What's a slight increase? The masks are reusable for staff, I assume they'll use washable ones given clients will also have to bring their own one. They do need hand gel. They don't supply masks for clients.

So whats fair?

PPE isn’t just masks and hand gel. Some salons are using face visors, goggles, and disposable gowns for both themselves and the client. These things all cost money.
    We have just experienced a worldwide shortage of all of these things, and therefore the prices have increased because of that demand, and are a lot more expensive to source than they once were.
    Then there’s also reduced revenue and capacity due to social distancing and increased cleaning needed in between clients meaning you can’t fit in as many appointments. These are all possible reasons for a price increase.
    If you feel like the price increase is too high then you are welcome to go to another salon, but good luck getting an appointment somewhere else this summer as a new customer.

Most hairdressers are aware that the precarious financial situation their clients are now in, and will want to keep as many of them as possible. I can’t see any of them taking the piss with it, apart from Peter Marks.

If you’re a long term loyal customer then surely you like both your hairdresser & the salon, and as a short term measure you would suck it up in order to help them with their reopening overheads and their appointment scheduling?
    It’s really not a big ask. It’s money you’d be paying anyway.

I'm a long term customer to plenty of other businesses. I don't think salons should be taking advantage for the current situation. No other type of business has demanded deposits from me.....even one that closed.

I think it's opportunistic of some salons to up prices and demand deposits.

Let's be honest most women won't argue it at present because they desperately need an appointment. But that's exactly my point........Ladies being taken advantage of because they are desperate for an appointment.

Poor customer service and bad business IMO.

Will men be treated the same. Will barbers up prices and demand deposits.....Not likely IMO.

I'm a long term customer to plenty of other businesses. I don't think salons should be taking advantage for the current situation. No other type of business has demanded deposits from me.....even one that closed.

I think it's opportunistic of some salons to up prices and demand deposits.

Let's be honest most women won't argue it at present because they desperately need an appointment. But that's exactly my point........Ladies being taken advantage of because they are desperate for an appointment.

Poor customer service and bad business IMO.

Will men be treated the same. Will barbers up prices and demand deposits.....Not likely IMO.

Most won’t argue with it because they understand the need for doing it and want to support their hairdresser to reopen after 4 months of closure.

I also had to pay a deposit for my nails and eyebrows, so it isn’t just hairdressers doing it.

My cousin is a barber and he is only taking appointments online with full cost payable to secure the appointment. Not sure if he’s after upping his prices, I’ll find out. But he’s fully booked for the next 4 weeks so I don’t think it’s putting off any customers, new or old, from booking.

The barber my family uses has upped his prices. Roughly 15% by my math

PPE isn’t just masks and hand gel. Some salons are using face visors, goggles, and disposable gowns for both themselves and the client. These things all cost money.
    We have just experienced a worldwide shortage of all of these things, and therefore the prices have increased because of that demand, and are a lot more expensive to source than they once were.
    Then there’s also reduced revenue and capacity due to social distancing and increased cleaning needed in between clients meaning you can’t fit in as many appointments. These are all possible reasons for a price increase.
    If you feel like the price increase is too high then you are welcome to go to another salon, but good luck getting an appointment somewhere else this summer as a new customer.

Most hairdressers are aware that the precarious financial situation their clients are now in, and will want to keep as many of them as possible. I can’t see any of them taking the piss with it, apart from Peter Marks.

They'll all be availing for restart grants. Haven't even opened their doors and already increasing prices.

While i agree with some of your points, I don't agree with the supply and demand of PPE pushing up prices. If anything it should be the opposite! Initially you couldn't get hand sanitizer anywhere, now shops are falling down with the stuff! Its everywhere you go! Dealz, Boots, Choice, Penneys, Dunnes,Tesco......its on the aisles and at the checkouts in mini bottles everywhere.

Clients should be told to bring their own mask or no appointment. End of! Washable cotton masks have been proven to kill the virus quicker than any other type of mask, they are comfortable and easy to wear and easier on the environment. Masks are available to buy everywhere now! The abundance of supply should mean it is CHEAPER than ever to buy PPE not the opposite.

While i agree with some of your points, I don't agree with the supply and demand of PPE pushing up prices. If anything it should be the opposite! Initially you couldn't get hand sanitizer anywhere, now shops are falling down with the stuff! Its everywhere you go! Dealz, Boots, Choice, Penneys, Dunnes,Tesco......its on the aisles and at the checkouts in mini bottles everywhere.

Clients should be told to bring their own mask or no appointment. End of! Washable cotton masks have been proven to kill the virus quicker than any other type of mask, they are comfortable and easy to wear and easier on the environment. Masks are available to buy everywhere now! The abundance of supply should mean it is CHEAPER than ever to buy PPE not the opposite.

It depends on when they sourced it though, many salons purchased theirs in April when prices were still sky high because they thought they’d be allowed reopen in May.

Visors & goggles are still quite expensive and hard to find from what I’ve heard. I think with a service like this a slight price increase isn’t unreasonable when you consider the extra PPE needed and the fact that they now can’t take as many appointments.

I just don’t agree with the notion that this is price gouging or trying to take advantage of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I didnt have to pay a deposit to secure my booking. Thankfully, since I've been surviving on €4.62 and a gift card this past week.

No problem with that but they havent been closed.

Im not going to go over and back with you with this. Ive no problem with it. You do so dont pay it. Its quite simple.

• Advertisement

Will people still tip i wonder?

Advertisement