Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Gael23 wrote: »
    Not a fan of his at the best of time’s. The restrictions he imposed have caused untitled fans he to our economy and society and driven a wedge between families

He didnt imposed the restrictions, the government did. He gave his recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Irish times seem to be hitting rock bottom

"Damned Ryanair. It won’t give us our money back. And damned Government. It looks unlikely to force the airline to refund us. But, to be honest, that’s actually fine with us.

We know that when our flight to Athens takes off, a little more than a week from now, we won’t be aboard. As it disappears over the horizon it’ll be taking our airfares – more than €500 that we paid back when the first coronavirus stories were still only trickling out of China – with it.

Why can we live with that? In part it’s to do with the coronavirus pandemic, and the second wave of the disease that health officials are worried about.

A lot of this is easy for me to say. My wife and I both have good jobs – I work at The Irish Times – and we only needed to buy two tickets to Greece this year, as our children are now old enough to have had other plans. We might not be so sanguine if we’d paid €1,100 for the four of us to fly to Athens,

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/europe/keep-our-money-if-you-must-ryanair-we-d-rather-lose-our-airfares-than-board-our-flight-1.4294565

Pretty interest, is the journalist writing this seriously for real? No holidays for many years before a vaccine? Risk of a 2nd wave will actually be present always.... what a prick

Not in slightest.

In fact his wife was given lots of well wishes.

There is no schadenfreude on this side of the argument.

Im glad your level is to use a sick lady to support your argument.

Good taste

I see in my 1 day absence PJ went off the rails. Need to bring some order back here. This is low beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://news.sky.com/story/englands-travel-quarantine-to-be-scrapped-for-trips-from-spain-france-italy-and-germany-12020008

U.K. are set to announce a number of airbridges...this leaves us wide open now with no policy. Are we aligning ourselves with the U.K. policy or the EU / Schengen policy...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Now Holohan will experience the impact his restrictions have in people.
    Not being able to visit his wife in hospital in her darkest hours and having to tell loved ones that they cannot be with you in your time of need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Not being able to visit his wife in hospital in her darkest hours and having to tell loved ones that they cannot be with you in your time of need

JfC. His restrictions? Those restrictions were in almost every country in the world. You think he wanted to impose them???!!...get a grip of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Jesus Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

JfC. His restrictions? Those restrictions were in almost every country in the world. You think he wanted to impose them???!!...get a grip of yourself.

To read some of the posts on here you'd think Ireland was under the control of an authoritarian regime led by Tony Holohan.

This is getting out of hand

"Donohoe said that the wage subsidy scheme is “responsible for keeping over 400,000 people in a job” and that the government is “looking options in relation to the future of it”.

“What I can confirm now is that it will not come to an abrupt end, because were that to happen that itself creates the risk of jobs being lost,” he said. "

Asked would it be extended to the end of the end of the year, the Minister for Finance said: “This is a decision that needs to be taken by government, as I said, I and the last government brought in these payments, the value of them, and the value of the wage subsidy scheme in particular is recognised very strongly by the government. "

https://www.thejournal.ie/paschal-donohoe-wage-subsidy-2-5140462-Jul2020/

Universal income is here. How does he still believe that 350 euros a week "keeps people in a job" ?? What keeps people in a job is a bloody consumer demand. Its economy working and people being productive. If you give 350 euros a week to someone - are they being productive? no. Its absolutely shocking is is our minister for finance... f hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

"Donohoe said that the wage subsidy scheme is “responsible for keeping over 400,000 people in a job” and that the government is “looking options in relation to the future of it”.

“What I can confirm now is that it will not come to an abrupt end, because were that to happen that itself creates the risk of jobs being lost,” he said. "

Asked would it be extended to the end of the end of the year, the Minister for Finance said: “This is a decision that needs to be taken by government, as I said, I and the last government brought in these payments, the value of them, and the value of the wage subsidy scheme in particular is recognised very strongly by the government. "

Universal income is here. How does he still believe that 350 euros a week "keeps people in a job" ?? What keeps people in a job is a bloody consumer demand. Its economy working and people being productive. If you give 350 euros a week to someone - are they being productive? no. Its absolutely shocking is is our minister for finance... f hell.

I have heard of some companies bringing back their employees to work full time, while keeping them on the pandemic payment & just topping up their wages...what a waste of our taxpayer's money. The tax-payer paying for private employment. Really hope the Government are aware this is going on, and close whatever loophole is enabling this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Allinall

The €350 per week is not the wage subsidy scheme.

Fail.

I have heard of some companies bringing back their employees to work full time, while keeping them on the pandemic payment & just topping up their wages...what a waste of our taxpayer's money. The tax-payer paying for private employment. Really hope the Government are aware this is going on, and close whatever loophole is enabling this.

Sure 40,000 construction workers are still collecting 350 euros from home.

Leo said "we need to look into that, something is not right" damn right its been over 6 weeks since construction sites were allowed to re open.

Waste of taxpayers funds is astronomical, with wet blanket Paschal at the helm engaging in a borrowing frenzy hoping interest rates wont turn unfavourable.

Just shocking that laws of supply and demand have all but been forgotten, now, govt giving 350 euros a week to average Joe "Keeps him in a job".

When in reality - Joe's job is disappearing a bit every day as consumer demand either evaporates or shifts (people cutting their own hair at home is a good example, or drinking cans at home rather than doing the awkward pub experience).

Leo said "we need to look into that, something is not right" damn right its been over 6 weeks since construction sites were allowed to re open.

Waste of taxpayers funds is astronomical, with wet blanket Paschal at the helm engaging in a borrowing frenzy hoping interest rates wont turn unfavourable.

Just shocking that laws of supply and demand have all but been forgotten, now, govt giving 350 euros a week to average Joe "Keeps him in a job".

When in reality - Joe's job is disappearing a bit every day as consumer demand either evaporates or shifts (people cutting their own hair at home is a good example, or drinking cans at home rather than doing the awkward pub experience).

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I heard of a company doing that throughout all this ,some staff started working from home while the government paid 85% of their wages , and this company you wouldn't of expected to be hit by what happened .

I wouldn't be surprised if some shops and restaurants that have reopened have the staff on the subsidy scheme ,, isn't the rule if their business is running at less than 75% of normal takings they can put the staff on it .

Allinall wrote: »
    The €350 per week is not the wage subsidy scheme.

Fail.

Not really actually - point stands. Govt giving free money away to "subsidise" is not the tool of strong economy, or even recovering economy. If you call it wage subsidy, pandemic unemployment benefit or TWSS whatever - point stands, Irish jobs are going away very quickly as consumer demand diminishes every day, and govt do f all with that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some will slip through but Revenue will be having a look at this whole area anyway. I guess companies figure the penalties for getting caught will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

What an absolute moronic post...I seriously worry for all our future's with people like this walking among us.

The family can visit people that are receiving non Covid-19 palliative care but hey lets make some stuff up to push a sick agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Vudgie wrote: »
    What an absolute moronic post...I seriously worry for all our future's with people like this walking among us.

The family can visit people that are receiving non Covid-19 palliative care but hey lets make some stuff up to push a sick agenda.

Only in the very final hours of life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Do something about it then. Save the economy. Go to the pub. Bring a pen and paper and write a strongly worded letter to Paschal and Micheál. Leave your phone at home, though, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

There is an article in the IT today highlighting a new HIQA report.

Officially there have been 1,700 Covid19 deaths in Ireland.

Officials now believe that a number of Covid deaths were not really Covid deaths in the sense that while a person may have had the virus, the actual cause of death was something else.

The article doesn't appear to give an estimate of what numbers are involved and the study was pretty non scientific ( analysis of deaths from rip website).

Still it's interesting and I'm sure it will be looked at again at some stage in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Only in the very final hours of life

Not true....but hey keep making things up.

Damiencm wrote: »
    There is an article in the IT today highlighting a new HIQA report.

Officially there have been 1,700 Covid19 deaths in Ireland.

Officials now believe that a number of Covid deaths were not really Covid deaths in the sense that while a person may have had the virus, the actual cause of death was something else.

The article doesn't appear to give an estimate of what numbers are involved and the study was pretty non scientific ( analysis of deaths from rip website).

Still it's interesting and I'm sure it will be looked at again at some stage in the future

Saw that - article below, will be revisited in the future I am sure

Ireland’s official coronavirus death toll likely to have been overstated, report finds

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-s-official-coronavirus-death-toll-likely-to-have-been-overstated-report-finds-1.4295324

Do something about it then. Save the economy. Go to the pub. Bring a pen and paper and write a strongly worded letter to Paschal and Micheál. Leave your phone at home, though, eh?

Gave me a good laugh :)

In the past 3 days I went to the office (even though could work from home) got 3 chicken fillet rolls for lunch on each day, haircut, and spent some money with Irish rail for my ticket.

Doing my best here, but need you to chip in as well.

Not really actually - point stands. Govt giving free money away to "subsidise" is not the tool of strong economy, or even recovering economy. If you call it wage subsidy, pandemic unemployment benefit or TWSS whatever - point stands, Irish jobs are going away very quickly as consumer demand diminishes every day, and govt do f all with that regard.

Any evidence for consumer demand diminishing every day?

By all accounts it is increasing as businesses open up, albeit at a slower pace than we would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

I'm a total curtain twitcher, proud to be. It *was* funny to hear Pat Kenny this morning getting irate at two teenagers "fornicating" in his local park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

is_that_so wrote: »
    Some will slip through but Revenue will be having a look at this whole area anyway. I guess companies figure the penalties for getting caught will be worth it.

If companies were unsure of whether or not their turnover would be reduced by enough to qualify they could claim and pay back at a later date. It was always based on forecasted sales and if reality is better you give the money back.
    IKEA made a big deal about following the same rules every company will be following

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If companies were unsure of whether or not their turnover would be reduced by enough to qualify they could claim and pay back at a later date. It was always based on forecasted sales and if reality is better you give the money back.
    IKEA made a big deal about following the same rules every company will be following
    I agree and I think the Revenue comment is just to remind people of the nature of this payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Holohan's been a total disaster, but using his sick wife as an argument, as you and that other clown have done, is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You're a massive idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Saw that - article below, will be revisited in the future I am sure

Ireland’s official coronavirus death toll likely to have been overstated, report finds

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-s-official-coronavirus-death-toll-likely-to-have-been-overstated-report-finds-1.4295324

Oh, you're now going to believe the Irish media, particularly the Irish Times, after being critical of it only a couple of posts before hand?

Like I said, it's a pick and mix with you when it comes to what stories to use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement