Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Foe the people who work in Offices, When are they back in Office?

Back soon with a skeleton staff. Many people not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭growleaves

Prague throws huge ‘farewell pandemic’ party with thousands of guests, shared food, dancing and no social distancing
    Ondrej Kobza, organiser and owner of a cafe in the city, said: “We want to celebrate the end of the coronavirus crisis by letting people meet and show they are not afraid to meet, that they are not afraid to take a piece of a sandwich from their neighbour.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Just got a pop up to my phone re Tony Holohan stepping down as his wife has gone into palliative care. So sorry to hear this & wish them all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Jim Root wrote:
    Back soon with a skeleton staff. Many people not happy.

Not happy as they have gotten used to working from home and the company is unwilling to be flexible going forward?

Or not happy due to perceived risk? If the latter then presumably with a skeleton staff you should be pretty safe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Did the government ever provide any scientific basis for why being in a restaurant is seemingly low risk, but being in a pub is not? Does the virus go around checking everyone's had a substantial meal?
    If it's concerns about people getting drunk - both serve alcohol. Licensed premises have *always* been required to only serve people who are above legal age, and not already intoxicated.

Might be required but never did.
    A pub in D14 on Tuesday night had a big group in it, hammered, no social distancing and no control from the pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just got a pop up to my phone re Tony Holohan stepping down as his wife has gone into palliative care. So sorry to hear this & wish them all the best.

Me too. Honestly that man has played a blinder during this crisis, and whether you agree with him or not he has done the State some service. Imagine being in the middle of all this being snarked at from all quarters while your wife is terminally ill. I dunno, few of us knew about his dear wife and it is a credit to him that he carried on as far as he did under the circumstances.

I know what this palliative care business is, it is not a good signal, but the care they get is second to none.

It has gone very quiet in here now wonder why? Maybe all the rebels are in the pub or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It has gone very quiet in here now wonder why? Maybe all the rebels are in the pub or something.

You sound like you are waiting to be ultra offended by something

You sound like you are waiting to be ultra offended by something

Really? Step away from the keyboard for a while and enjoy life as we know it now.

The pubs and cafes are open, we can travel anywhere we want (for now), shop till you drop, with a Queue admittedly, but no pain, no gain right?

We are back to new normal. That's what was desired, we have it now, so what's the problem anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,400 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Say they are embarassed after all the dogs abuse they gave Holohan the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Really? Step away from the keyboard for a while and enjoy life as we know it now.

The pubs and cafes are open, we can travel anywhere we want (for now), shop till you drop, with a Queue admittedly, but no pain, no gain right?

We are back to new normal. That's what was desired, we have it now, so what's the problem anymore?

Your telling me to step away from the keyboard after posting asking why its so quiet???

Utterly bizzare

pjohnson wrote: »
    Say they are embarassed after all the dogs abuse they gave Holohan the last few weeks.

Not in slightest.

In fact his wife was given lots of well wishes.

There is no schadenfreude on this side of the argument.

Im glad your level is to use a sick lady to support your argument.

Good taste

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not a fan of his at the best of time’s. The restrictions he imposed have caused untitled fans he to our economy and society and driven a wedge between families

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

We don't agree on much here, almost nothing in fact, but I share your sympathies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

With any argument there is only so long that one side or the other can say the same thing over and over with no discussion.

60% of all COVID-19 cases have been reported in the past month. The transmission of the virus is increasing in some countries but remains below .8 in others.

Positivity is seen as stupid but equally the opposite is said on outlining fears. Most political discussions are about funerals, nobody really trying to make pragmatic decisions. And to top it all off people worried about what they will look like in a mask rather than actual knowledge of benefits or drawbacks.

What else is to discuss. Maybe not lambasting each side.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Not a fan of his at the best of time’s. The restrictions he imposed have caused untitled fans he to our economy and society and driven a wedge between families

Just back from the pub? :eek:

Your telling me to step away from the keyboard after posting asking why its so quiet???

Utterly bizzare

It was your negativity I was referring to. That comes across.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Just back from the pub? :eek:

I’m just back from a family occasion that half our family couldn’t attend because of his 14 day quarantine

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m just back from a family occasion that half our family couldn’t attend because of his 14 day quarantine

Ah sorry to hear that.

At least you observed the distancing/gathering numbers advice.

We have been in the same boat, but just did what we were asked to do for the sake of everyone in our family and the community. Sorry that sounds like I should be canonised or something, but you get the drift I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

joeguevara wrote: »
    With any argument there is only so long that one side or the other can say the same thing over and over with no discussion.

60% of all COVID-19 cases have been reported in the past month. The transmission of the virus is accelerating globally. The R rate is nearly 2.7 in Germany and increasing in Ireland.

Positivity is seen as stupid but equally the opposite is said on outlining fears. Most political discussions are about funerals, nobody really trying to make pragmatic decisions. And to top it all off people worried about what they will look like in a mask rather than actual knowledge of benefits or drawbacks.

What else is to discuss.

The R number is below 1 in Germany now, it spiked up due to the hundreds infected in a slaughterhouse and it’s controlled now. You can’t stop travel forever people have family abroad that they need to see soon, putting a lock on the country is not sustainable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Context important. It is a non reporting VAT period (July will be instructive), and CT is unsustainable and unpredictable but overall extremely welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

pjohnson wrote: »

Was wondering who would stoop low enough. No surprise.

We are very resilient, and most people are not complaining too much apart from on here.

Boards demographic does not represent the country as a whole and never will. Outside of here, people are just coping with the restrictions as best they can and for the good of all really. Oh I know about the Penney's Q and the pub rebels and all the rest of it, but in general people are sensible and know (hope) this will ease over time.

Have to say though that the mixed messages about Foreign Travel are not helping things one bit.

The R number is below 1 in Germany now, it spiked up due to the hundreds infected in a slaughterhouse and it’s controlled now. You can’t stop travel forever people have family abroad that they need to see soon, putting a lock on the country is not sustainable

Yes you are correct. I am in agreement with you to an extent. I was only showing why there could be less people discussing things because rarely will people change their minds. I think though people reuniting with families from abroad could be the highest chance of reinfection.

I just hope everyone will be ok, happy and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Not in slightest.

In fact his wife was given lots of well wishes.

There is no schadenfreude on this side of the argument.

Im glad your level is to use a sick lady to support your argument.

Good taste

No surprise there in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We are very resilient, and most people are not complaining too much apart from on here.

Boards demographic does not represent the country as a whole and never will. Outside of here, people are just coping with the restrictions as best they can and for the good of all really. Oh I know about the Penney's Q and the pub rebels and all the rest of it, but in general people are sensible and know (hope) this will ease over time.

Have to say though that the mixed messages about Foreign Travel are not helping things one bit.

I sense a lot of emotional pain out there tbh, particularly since the weather turned at the end of May.

I feel people are really beginning to suffer, the adrenaline survival of the first few months is now wearing thin and it is dawning on people that our lives have changed utterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

60% of all COVID-19 cases have been reported in the past month. The transmission of the virus is accelerating globally. The R rate is nearly 2.7 in Germany and increasing in Ireland.

What else is to discuss.

The R rate in Germany as of tonight is 4 day average estimated 0.83 and 7 day average estimated is also 0.83.

Link below so if you want to start saying is 2.7 check the stats first. R is increasing in Ireland due to low case numbers and this is natural. Not because of a surge but due to the fact that you can't accurately give a R value with low case numbers

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/Gesamt.html

The R rate in Germany as of tonight is 4 day average estimated 0.83 and 7 day average estimated is also 0.83.

Link below so if you want to start saying is 2.7 check the stats first. R is increasing in Ireland due to low case numbers and this is natural. Not because of a surge but due to the fact that you can't accurately give a R value with low case numbers

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/Gesamt.html

I did apologise for making a mistake. But my post wasn’t meant to be alarmist just showing the difference in sides. But you are right I will amend it in case it gives the wrong opinion.

I amended that. I was just saying people with different outlooks should be nicer to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Arghus wrote: »
    We don't agree on much here, almost nothing in fact, but I share your sympathies.

I agree totally with this , Arghus , and your last 2 posts , Cruel Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I did apologise for making a mistake. But my post wasn’t meant to be alarmist just showing the difference in sides. But you are right I will amend it in case it gives the wrong opinion.

I amended that. I was just saying people with different outlooks should be nicer to each other.

No worries, I know all in good faith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement