Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

whiterebel wrote: »
    You can't make a fair comparison then. The Irish retailer has added in Freight, Duty/VAT and customs clearance. If you had to pay freight, 21% VAT and duty that was applicable and at a minimum €10 (For a business closer to €40/50) for customs clearance, there wouldn't be a lot of difference.

If I paid the €50 customs it's still much cheaper and quicker, takes 3 months for them to get the stock from HK. At the end of the day I'm paying a cheaper price, a lot cheaper and getting it 3 months earlier.

€210 €260 (with your customs guess) vs €340.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    If I paid the €50 customs it's still much cheaper and quicker, takes 3 months for them to get the stock from HK. At the end of the day I'm paying a cheaper price, a lot cheaper and getting it 3 months earlier.

€40/50 is for doing the paperwork for Customs.
    21% VAT adds nearly €50 by itself. If there is duty you add that to the value + freight, and work out the value for VAT.
    The only reason it is so much cheaper it is because Customs missed it. Again, not a fair comparison.

210.00 (Even leaving out the freight)
    Duty 10% (Guess) + 21.00
    =231.00 @ 21% = 48.50 (Obviously more if 23% applicable)
    10.00 An Post Clearance Fee.
    Total 289.50

The importer will have to pay genuine freight cost, not subsidised by the Chinese Government and far higher customs clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Doesnt matter what excuse you make for them. Irish retailers charge far too much for things.
    If that wasnt the case, then everyone would shop in Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Doesnt matter what excuse you make for them. Irish retailers charge far too much for things.
    If that wasnt the case, then everyone would shop in Ireland.

Not excuses, they are costs. Irish rents are colossal, look at the amount of big companies that have pulled out, or went into administration to get out of sky high rents. How anyone but a landlord decided upward only rents were a good idea is beyond me.:confused:
    Higher shipping costs to get it here.
    We don't have the population to buy in bulk amounts. Amazon are servicing 300M people in Europe alone. How can any retailer in a country of 4.5M expect to get anywhere near that?

It'll be interesting to see how much is bought from China when they have to pay for postage and are subject to VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

It's not the retailers faults here, the VAT kills them and then AnPost prices.
    It's barely noticable.
    (the vat)

Amazon pays the same VAT as Amazon on Irish deliveries thats why it isnt noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

New low for Amazon. Yesterday tracking was insisting that I would get this item today. Now I get this in an email.

IRWIN QUICK-GRIP 600mm (24") Medium-Duty Bar Clamp/Spreader"
    Estimated arrival date: December 05 2020 - January 22 2021

How can they not know when something will be in stock & then quote such a long delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Discodog wrote: »
    New low for Amazon. Yesterday tracking was insisting that I would get this item today. Now I get this in an email.

IRWIN QUICK-GRIP 600mm (24") Medium-Duty Bar Clamp/Spreader"
    Estimated arrival date: December 05 2020 - January 22 2021

How can they not know when something will be in stock & then quote such a long delay?

I'd cancel and re-order. I've just ordered clamps there and they'll be here tomorrow.

€40/50 is for doing the paperwork for Customs.
    21% VAT adds nearly €50 by itself. If there is duty you add that to the value + freight, and work out the value for VAT.
    The only reason it is so much cheaper it is because Customs missed it. Again, not a fair comparison.

210.00 (Even leaving out the freight)
    Duty 10% (Guess) + 21.00
    =231.00 @ 21% = 48.50 (Obviously more if 23% applicable)
    10.00 An Post Clearance Fee.
    Total 289.50

The importer will have to pay genuine freight cost, not subsidised by the Chinese Government and far higher customs clearance.

Irish retailers don't get them from HK btw, they get them from the USA once they get their stock.

For the record I do support my local stores but sometimes I just want something now and not 4 months away or if at all for €100 more. You know. I ran a store and know well the rent is a joke but I never blamed people from going elsewhere. We only earn a certain amount so spend your money the best way you can, save what you can.

Sure you yourself are using Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Same. Ordered replacements and will wait and see which gets to me first.

Package finally arrived today >2weeks late

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Irish retailers don't get them from HK btw, they get them from the USA once they get their stock.

For the record I do support my local stores but sometimes I just want something now and not 4 months away or if at all for €100 more. You know. I ran a store and know well the rent is a joke but I never blamed people from going elsewhere. We only earn a certain amount so spend your money the best way you can, save what you can.

irrespective of whether they get them from the US or HK the taxes and fees are the same.

• Advertisement

I was just pointing out the difference wasn't like for like. I wouldn't spend that kind of difference on the same product either. If customs had been at the races there wouldn't have been such a huge gap.
    I do use all online stores, from all over Europe. I'm too small a business to interest wholesalers so I get my product from other retailers. Then I do something different by letting the (potential) customer use it before buying. Its the only different thing I can offer.

Just find it odd people having a go at me for importing with no fee's when they're not exactly shopping locally either...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just find it odd people having a go at me for importing with no fee's when they're not exactly shopping locally either...

nobody is having a go at you. Simply pointing out that the big difference in price is partly down to you not having to pay the vat and clearance fees you potentially could have.

Again, I was pointing out your example wasn't like for like. Customs are at fault for not catching it at that value.
    Its a bit difficult to shop in b&m when we're in lockdown. When I was allowed out I spent a fortune in a local shop for kitchen equipment. I probably could have done slightly better with DID or Power City, but kept it local.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

hots wrote: »
    I'd cancel and re-order. I've just ordered clamps there and they'll be here tomorrow.

Yes I noticed that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Then there is the price of postage. Any irish companies seem to think we wont notice and try to make their profits in the postage price. I bought a fleece the other day. It was the same price from an Irish supplier as a uk supplier. But the Irish supplier wanted €5.50 postage. The UK supplier charges £2 for postage to Ireland.
    Car99 wrote: »
    Definitely delivery costs from Irish online retailers are too expensive.

Have you seen the cost of postage in Ireland, and the rate of increase?

Especially for smaller packets under a kilo. Rates have increased by 36% since 2016. And by 60% since 2012. (or 72% for stuff under 50g since they dropped that category).

The blame lies with An Post, not Irish businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

MOH wrote: »
    Have you seen the cost of postage in Ireland, and the rate of increase?

Especially for smaller packets under a kilo. Rates have increased by 36% since 2016. And by 60% since 2012. (or 72% for stuff under 50g since they dropped that category).

The blame lies with An Post, not Irish businesses.

I'm not saying why the postage costs are high I'm simply saying delivery costs for deliveries from irish online retailers are too expensive . Amazon prime free delivery is the killer blow for anyone trying to compete in the online market couple that with 24/7 excellent amazon customer service and it is nearly impossible to beat them on price and service

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

Getting even tougher for sellers on amazon now to compete.

See that that there is large venture capital funding going into companies that there sole purpose is supplying and selling on Amazon. They purchase smaller brands or businesses selling on amazon that are doing well.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/11/19/sellerx-raises-118m-to-buy-up-and-grow-amazon-marketplace-businesses/amp/

Just thinking is this wise? All amazon would have do is bring out their own products if something is selling very well?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Amazon already *do* bring out their own products, hence AmazonBasics and hence the EC investigation in to that practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

L1011 wrote: »
    Amazon already *do* bring out their own products, hence AmazonBasics and hence the EC investigation in to that practice.

Oh yeah I'm well aware of that and all the clothing brands under different names they have etc

Just surprises me how money is going into those companies just to supply amazon and Amazon could turnaround at any moment and start selling themselves

Again, I was pointing out your example wasn't like for like. Customs are at fault for not catching it at that value.
    Its a bit difficult to shop in b&m when we're in lockdown. When I was allowed out I spent a fortune in a local shop for kitchen equipment. I probably could have done slightly better with DID or Power City, but kept it local.

Customs is irrelevant, it'd still be €80-100 cheaper if I was stung and 3-4 months earlier.

Customs is irrelevant, it'd still be €80-100 cheaper if I was stung and 3-4 months earlier.

Customs is relevant to anyone importing from outside the EU. I'll leave it at that because this is going around and round in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I see addresspal and parcel wizard are not taking orders to the uk virtual addresses after next month.
    Parcel motel will probably follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

I see addresspal and parcel wizard are not taking orders to the uk virtual addresses after next month.

AddressPal will continue to operate but only for the home delivery service, they're getting rid of the post office collection .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Wow is that because they can't handle the capacity?

hots wrote: »
    Wow is that because they can't handle the capacity?

They don't want to get stuck with customs clearance issues I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Have you a link? I can't see anything on Parcel Wizard website?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not quite what addressPal are saying
    From January 1st 2021 deliveries from the UK are changing due to customs.
    When shopping online use your Home Delivery AddressPal virtual address (see below for address examples).

From this date, your Post Office/Collection Point AddressPal virtual address can no longer be used when importing items.

However, once the parcel has been processed we will let you know by email or text and you will then have the option to redirect your parcel to any of the following:

A Post Office/Collection Point
    A Parcel Locker
    A neighbour
    A safe place
    Or select an alternative date for delivery

This will apply for UK and USA AddressPal items.

Payment details:

From January 1st 2021 payment for all AddressPal items must be taken from a Credit/Debit card that is saved on your AddressPal account. Without a valid card your parcel cannot be delivered. You will only be charged once we process your AddressPal deliveries.

Note: All UK items will be subject to Revenue customs rules from January 1st 2021.
    If there are customs fees related to your item, you will be contacted with more information.

• Advertisement

I was in AnPost today and WOW, the place is jammed, nearly to the roof.

Advertisement