Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Car99 wrote: »
    Amazon isnt the problem it's when An Post get hold of it it slows down. An Post are struggling ,there must be a massive back log in Dublin.

I have two ordes that left the UK last Friday at the same time just after 0400 .

One order says your parcel arrived at An Post Dublin at 03.45 Sunday morning 48hrs after leaving the UK . The other order must be still on the boat as it hadn't updated since it left the UK .

It is sometimes. Amazon can take ages to despatch. I have an item, supposedly in stock when I ordered 10 days ago, that still hasn't been dispatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

They've been pretty good for me lately. Placed an order on Saturday and received it yesterday! Placed an order on Sunday, received it today! I was out when he tried to deliver today but he came back this afternoon! Well done Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

They've been pretty good for me lately. Placed an order on Saturday and received it yesterday! Placed an order on Sunday, received it today! I was out when he tried to deliver today but he came back this afternoon! Well done Amazon!

What part of the island do you live on Peig?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cdemess

Ordered yesterday

Received today.

The item was on my wish list for 3 months, so maybe they had it ready to deliver once I finally bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

What part of the island do you live on Peig?

Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

DPD up to their old tricks again, pretending to attempt delivery and requesting additional info, to avoid being late with deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Amazon isnt the problem it's when An Post get hold of it it slows down. An Post are struggling ,there must be a massive back log in Dublin.

I have two ordes that left the UK last Friday at the same time just after 0400 .

One order says your parcel arrived at An Post Dublin at 03.45 Sunday morning 48hrs after leaving the UK . The other order must be still on the boat as it hadn't updated since it left the UK .

That's not my experience. Orders have taken over a week to dispatch even when in stock. Once dispatched I haven't found any additional delays.

I ordered two items from Amazon at the same time recently. One for ourselves and another for our daughter in Northern Ireland, Her's was dispatched next day and our's five days later. She received her parcel two days later and we got our parcel six days after her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Cdemess wrote: »
    Ordered yesterday

Received today.

The item was on my wish list for 3 months, so maybe they had it ready to deliver once I finally bought it.

That's not what the wishlist is about. It doesn't put a hold or marker on an item.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Not really a well done.
    They threatened to pull out of there contract with an post so an post has prioritised all there parcels over everyone else.

Kinda defeats the purpose of shopping online from irish websites to support our economy when an post which is run by the government decide to make foreign ones a priority haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Not really a well done.
    They threatened to pull out of there contract with an post so an post has prioritised all there parcels over everyone else.

Kinda defeats the purpose of shopping online from irish websites to support our economy when an post which is run by the government decide to make foreign ones a priority haha

Where did you get that from? It's certainly not true. And not for any stuff I've ordered from Amazon lately. Check my earlier posts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Where did you get that from? It's certainly not true. And not for any stuff I've ordered from Amazon lately. Check my earlier posts...

Well I can't prove it to be true obviously I'm a random on board. but I can only tell you what I've been told.
    The usual I know a guy etc..
    But there is a massive queue of 40ft lorrys waiting to drop off parcels into the main hub everyday.
    The manager at the depot informed staff to prioritise parcels from amazon.
    They literally have ordered containers because they don't have the space in the warehouse for all the parcels coming.
    My uncle who also helps run the depot told me amazon threatened to pull out of there contract.
    The company who I work for (not an post) send parcels out everyday and some from 2-3 days ago are still not scanned. It's literally whatever they can grab to throw onto the belt the system of first come first on the belt is not working right now so some people who ordered (not from amazon) might get there parcels faster then normal and others are waiting longer then normal

Apparently the place is mental and as we all know from any previous year its badly understaffed and unable to cope so this year will be worse.
    There currently looking at buying the premises beside them but the lad wants 1.5 million for it were as last year he only wanted 750k but an post refused at the time. (I don't know if that's true though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Well I can't prove it to be true obviously I'm a random on board. but I can only tell you what I've been told.
    The usual I know a guy etc..
    But there is a massive queue of 40ft lorrys waiting to drop off parcels into the main hub everyday.
    The manager at the depot informed staff to prioritise parcels from amazon.
    They literally have ordered containers because they don't have the space in the warehouse for all the parcels coming.
    My uncle who also helps run the depot told me amazon threatened to pull out of there contract.
    The company who I work for (not an post) send parcels out everyday and some from 2-3 days ago are still not scanned. It's literally whatever they can grab to throw onto the belt the system of first come first on the belt is not working right now so some people who ordered (not from amazon) might get there parcels faster then normal and others are waiting longer then normal

Apparently the place is mental and as we all know from any previous year its badly understaffed and unable to cope so this year will be worse.
    There currently looking at buying the premises beside them but the lad wants 1.5 million for it were as last year he only wanted 750k but an post refused at the time. (I don't know if that's true though)

It's certainly true An Post is swamped. It's also fair to say An Post have been woefully unprepared for the increased volume of parcels due to the growth in online shopping and the pandemic which has helped fuel it.

But it's not true that Amazon threatened to pull out of the contract if their parcels weren't delivered first. It's also true that An Post are hopelessly understaffed, and certainly not helped by depot closures, particularly the one at Little Island which explains the long delays in getting post down from Dublin.

ETA: If Amazon threatened to pull out of the contract, it will be because of performance issues. As part of that contract, An Post have to commit to delivering parcels within a certain timeframe, only a certain percentage of parcels can be said to be lost, that kind of thing. An Post have to hit agreed targets for delivery. Amazon cannot demand their stuff is delivered first. UPS also deliver Amazon stuff and will have the same kind of agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dar2054

Where do you buy the dot to dot book?😂
    Trying to order a Hunky Mens Dot-To-Dot book for my mother for Christmas. (Yes you read that right)

Dublin address - FREE Priority Delivery : get it by Monday, Nov. 16
    Cork address - FREE Priority Delivery : get it by Monday, Nov. 23

Seven days more for a delivery to Cork. This is getting shambolic. And to reiterate - its not the length of the delivery completely, it'll be the length of time for order to dispatch. It'll be days.

Anyone else getting alot of their An Post parcels mis-sorted going to the wrong DSU and then have to return to portlaoise mail centre , back of the sorting queue to get sorted again resulting in an extra 2 days at least for delivery if you're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Maybe it's just a Dublin thing but having had a mixture of delivery services for my orders (Amazon, DPD, An Post, UPS(Nightline)) up until last month, everything of late has been Amazon, even Christmas sticker sheets which would have easily fit in a regular envelope. Not sure how cost efficient it is for them to get their courier to deliver a £2 set of stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Just checked tracking, updated to out for delivery. But they have already refunded me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    DPD up to their old tricks again, pretending to attempt delivery and requesting additional info, to avoid being late with deliveries.

I hate that company.
    Always a problem with anything being delivered by them. From what you say there very often happening, to items being left at the wrong house on the doorstep.
    They are an awful company.

Caranica wrote: »
    Maybe it's just a Dublin thing but having had a mixture of delivery services for my orders (Amazon, DPD, An Post, UPS(Nightline)) up until last month, everything of late has been Amazon, even Christmas sticker sheets which would have easily fit in a regular envelope. Not sure how cost efficient it is for them to get their courier to deliver a £2 set of stickers.

The post just before yours explains it:
    Anyone else getting alot of their An Post parcels mis-sorted going to the wrong DSU and then have to return to portlaoise mail centre , back of the sorting queue to get sorted again resulting in an extra 2 days at least for delivery if you're lucky.

It's maybe expensive for Amazon to send you the stickers themselves, but the potential of using An Post, having it mis-sorted, sent back to the mail centre to be re-sorted, then in the meantime you cancel the order because it's taking too long, is much more expensive for Amazon.
    I hate that company.
    Always a problem with anything being delivered by them. From what you say there very often happening, to items being left at the wrong house on the doorstep.
    They are an awful company.

Got a new computer delivered by DPD recently. Where did they leave it? On the front step. During what can only be described as a monsoon. I was lucky the dog wanted to go out otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

Wondering what things do you think irish retailers have to improve on to compete online? Is it solely down to speed of delivery and price? What would make you switch to buy from irish retailers?

Just seen a stat before the pandemic 70pc of irish ecommerce sales went outside of ireland. I think this has come down a bit but still

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Chacha97 wrote: »
    Wondering what things do you think irish retailers have to improve on to compete online? Is it solely down to speed of delivery and price? What would make you switch to buy from irish retailers?

Just seen a stat before the pandemic 70pc of irosh ecommerce sales went outside of ireland. I think this has come down a bit but still

Two reasons I would say.

First there is the Price of the product. 99% of goods are just cheaper in other countries.

Then there is the price of postage. Any irish companies seem to think we wont notice and try to make their profits in the postage price. I bought a fleece the other day. It was the same price from an Irish supplier as a uk supplier. But the Irish supplier wanted €5.50 postage. The UK supplier charges £2 for postage to Ireland.

Speed I guess would be a third.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Two reasons I would say.

First there is the Price of the product. 99% of goods are just cheaper in other countries.

Then there is the price of postage. Any irish companies seem to think we wont notice and try to make their profits in the postage price. I bought a fleece the other day. It was the same price from an Irish supplier as a uk supplier. But the Irish supplier wanted €5.50 postage. The UK supplier charges £2 for postage to Ireland.

Speed I guess would be a third.

Did you look up the An Post charge tracked and insured for the fleece? That is where your €5.50 is. I cannot get reasonable postage rates here compared to other countries.

Just seen a stat before the pandemic 70pc of irish ecommerce sales went outside of ireland. I think this has come down a bit but still

Definitely delivery costs from Irish online retailers are too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

whiterebel wrote: »
    Did you look up the An Post charge tracked and insured for the fleece? That is where your €5.50 is. I cannot get reasonable postage rates here compared to other countries.

An Post's prices are extortionate. They really need to reduce their prices to make Irish businesses more competitive.

One thing they could really improve on is dispatch times. There is really no excuse for taking longer than two days to dispatch. I hate seeing sites with a notice saying something along the lines of "We are currently taking 5 working days to dispatch orders". They could just work overtime for a few days to clear their backlog. UK sellers aren't immune to this either, but it's not as common in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

3 examples I won't shop in Ireland...

Bought a 1/6 figure, €210 with free EMS shipping from HK. €330 + €10 post from comic shop in Dublin.

Video game, €45 off Amazon with free shipping. €65 off Smyths.

A book, €12 off Amazon, 2 quid shipping, €33 in Eason.

And from past experiences they all take the same time to get here.

It's not the retailers faults here, the VAT kills them and then AnPost prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    3 examples I won't shop in Ireland...

Bought a 1/6 figure, €210 with free EMS shipping from HK. €330 + €10 post from comic shop in Dublin.

Video game, €45 off Amazon with free shipping. €65 off Smyths.

A book, €12 off Amazon, 2 quid shipping, €33 in Eason.

And from past experiences they all take the same time to get here.

It's not the retailers faults here, the VAT kills them and then AnPost prices.

Amazon charge Irish VAT for irish deliveries

Amazon charge Irish VAT for irish deliveries

It's barely noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It cost me an extra €5 on a Lego set I ordered recently from amazon.de. Still cheaper than .co.uk even with paying for delivery (and €15 cheaper than Smyths)

You need to add duty and VAT to your HK delivery to get a comparable price.

Life ain't always empty.

It cost me an extra €5 on a Lego set I ordered recently from amazon.de. Still cheaper than .co.uk even with paying for delivery (and €15 cheaper than Smyths)

You need to add duty and VAT to your HK delivery to get a comparable price.

There was no customs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    There was no customs.

You can't make a fair comparison then. The Irish retailer has added in Freight, Duty/VAT and customs clearance. If you had to pay freight, 21% VAT and duty that was applicable and at a minimum €10 (For a business closer to €40/50) for customs clearance, there wouldn't be a lot of difference.

Advertisement