Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

OU812 wrote: »
    I've just cancelled my prime account. Fed up with stuff taking so long to deliver

Congrats on successfully navigating the 15 screens where it keeps asking if you're sure you want to cancel and does its best to de-emphasise the buttons you need to click to continue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I got UK region prime when i asked nicely about the football. Dispatch/Delivers are back to where they were pre covid. i buy 20+ items a year from amazon and id either be buying filler stuff to get free shipping or paying delivery fees.

no way im cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

As it happens, the two packages which shipped Monday evening arrived this morning (instead of the noted Friday/Saturday), so I may have jumped the gun, but I think I'll hold off until prime day or summer sale day or whatever they're planning to renew anyway.

Looking at the number of Amazon warehouses in the UK and dividing that into the UK population, we definitely have enough of a population to support an Irish warehouse and an Amazon.ie site. Some of the more esoteric stuff would still come from the UK, but all the Prime stuff would be stocked in Ireland and we would have next day delivery. Who knows what will happen after brexit, but I expect amazon.fr will become popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Looking at the number of Amazon warehouses in the UK and dividing that into the UK population, we definitely have enough of a population to support an Irish warehouse and an Amazon.ie site. Some of the more esoteric stuff would still come from the UK, but all the Prime stuff would be stocked in Ireland and we would have next day delivery. Who knows what will happen after brexit, but I expect amazon.fr will become popular.

Well they must have something here :confused:

Yesterday afternoon ordered some AAAA batteries (yes four A's never heard of them until my wife got a pen for her laptop) Prime, Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. and they are in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB 8 am this morning with no in between steps other than Package has shipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭VG31

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Well they must have something here :confused:

Yesterday afternoon ordered some AAAA batteries (yes four A's never heard of them until my wife got a pen for her laptop) Prime, Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. and they are in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB 8 am this morning with no in between steps other than Package has shipped.

That's fairly common. They don't ship anything from here. If you look at the package label you can see the distribution centres it's gone through (e.g. MAN). More often than not packages get scanned in St Helens Merseyside before they are exported but not always.

VG31 wrote: »
    That's fairly common. They don't ship anything from here. If you look at the package label you can see the distribution centres it's gone through (e.g. MAN). More often than not packages get scanned in St Helens Merseyside before they are exported but not always.

Yes but I have other items ordered the same time that are now in St Helens Merseyside and I've never had an order just jump straight from dispatched to an Irish location. Not seen that in any of the other 55 orders this year and I can promise you I've scrutinised everyone of them while waiting and waiting for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭VG31

Yes but I have other items ordered the same time that are now in St Helens Merseyside and I've never had an order just jump straight from dispatched to an Irish location. Not seen that in any of the other 55 orders this year and I can promise you I've scrutinised everyone of them while waiting and waiting for delivery.

4 of my 12 orders this month went straight from dispatched to the Dublin Parcel Hub.

Annotation-2020-07-17-210939.png

Annotation-2020-07-17-211006.png

Annotation-2020-07-17-211019.png

Annotation-2020-07-17-211035.png

Still first time I've ever seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Ordered from amazon. De on Monday, shipped Tuesday arrived Friday. Standard delivery. And 20 euro cheaper incl. Shipping than amazon UK which gave standard delivery time of almost 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

VG31 wrote: »
    4 of my 12 orders this month went straight from dispatched to the Dublin Parcel Hub.

Annotation-2020-07-17-210939.png

Annotation-2020-07-17-211006.png

Annotation-2020-07-17-211019.png

Annotation-2020-07-17-211035.png

same here for an order I placed on Wednesday of this week, Got the Amazon email that it Shipped on Thurday afternoon, An hour later I got the AnPost Text to say it will delivered within 2 days and it arrived on Friday Morning at 7 AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

donnyvegas wrote: »
    Ok.

So I know COVID is affecting many business and disrupting many supply chains etc. Amazon even said they are prioritising essential products and others will be delayed. Fair enough. I am signed up to Prime and my 2 day delivery can wait.

Last week I ordered some multivitamins. Expected delivery to Ireland - June 2nd. Not essential I guess and the 2 week delivery, I assumed Amazon warehouse are flat out. Fair enough.

Out of sheer curiosity, I checked to see how long it would take to send to DPD parcel wizard in the north. 2 days - oh. Then I check AddressPal in the UK, next day delivery.

I contacted Amazon to see what went wrong - they said the problem is on the delivery to Ireland. We are now 8 days following my order, and it has yet to even dispatch. If An Post don’t receive the product, how can they deliver?

The problem is clearly Amazon prioritising their UK customers over Irish.

Anyone have any insight on this? Or experienced this themselves? Who do you even report this to?

Amazon are in BUSINESS there not a public service..the bigger market will always be the priority

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The phone I bought from Amazon Spain arrived in 48 hours & delivered by An Post. There is nothing Spanish on the packaging.

Look here before you buy anything on Amazon

https://www.hagglezon.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

dvdman1 wrote:
    Amazon are in BUSINESS there not a public service..the bigger market will always be the priority

Yeah but they charged people for a premium service they didn't provide. If Netflix were prioritising bandwidth to UK customers over Irish ones but still charging the Irish customers the same rate there would be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

dvdman1 wrote: »

I don't get this bend over and accept it attitude. Sure they're huge and they're a business and Ireland is a relatively small market but it's still a market that it draws significant revenue from irrespective of whether we contribute 1 or 10% to their .co.uk market.

Consumers should ALWAYS challenge bad or substandard service particularly when it's not what you were sold.

If BMW sold you a car that was advertised that it could drive at 100km/h but when you got it, it could only go 60, you wouldn't say "ah well, it's a business and sure I'm only one customer".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Mr.S wrote:
    I think we have to give some slack because of the reason of the delivery delays though, COVID19 disrupted things significantly in the first couple of months which no one could have predicted. I am fairly sure there is a line in the Prime T&C's that covers unexpected occurrences outside of their control. AnPost have also been known to ask large volume partners (eg Amazon) to restrict deliveries to ease their network during exceptionally busy periods.

I'd give some slack to a small local business. Not the largest online retailer owned by the richest man in the world. Not that it would matter but I've voted with my feet by canceling prime and shopping locally. I won't be using their service again even if they get back to two day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Mr.S wrote: »
    I think we have to give some slack because of the reason of the delivery delays though, COVID19 disrupted things significantly in the first couple of months which no one could have predicted. I am fairly sure there is a line in the Prime T&C's that covers unexpected occurrences outside of their control. AnPost have also been known to ask large volume partners (eg Amazon) to restrict deliveries to ease their network during exceptionally busy periods.

Delivery times for Prime users had been affected, but faster delivery is only a part of Prime, everything else was still provided without issue.

By all means raise the complaint to Amazon, but I don't think they are at fault here.

Of course they should be given slack, I'm not suggesting being militant about it but when there's a difference of 7-10 days between delivery to the North and here and no explanation of it, that's not good enough.

An explanation or notice would go a long way but materially being behind what your plan covers with no reasoning (at least publicly) is very bad service.

I don't get this bend over and accept it attitude. Sure they're huge and they're a business and Ireland is a relatively small market but it's still a market that it draws significant revenue from irrespective of whether we contribute 1 or 10% to their .co.uk market.

Consumers should ALWAYS challenge bad or substandard service particularly when it's not what you were sold.

If BMW sold you a car that was advertised that it could drive at 100km/h but when you got it, it could only go 60, you wouldn't say "ah well, it's a business and sure I'm only one customer".

We get lower spec cars in this country and pay more for them, we get charged higher prices by all the british chains selling here like debenhams. Sky charge us more, we get ripped off left right and centre. I'm not surprised Amazon feel they can take the piss too.

Amazon were taking the piss but they seem to be back on track, my current three Prime orders were all dispatched withing 24 hours and look likely to be delivered on Monday although Amazon are saying Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ordered something Tuesday, and it was received Wednesday. Hope it's all back to what it was, as I'll be ordering a few things shortly, and don't want to be waiting too long for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

This may have some relevance to the current topic.

Obviously Brexit wasnt going to make this stuff easier but it seems if you sell from the UK you won't be doing to Europe after Jan.

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1284806225956409344?s=19

^^^^^

Interesting but no mention of Ireland?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

^^^^^

Interesting but no mention of Ireland?

Pro-tip, Ireland is in the EU
    ;)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Pro-tip, Ireland is in the EU
    ;)

Another Pro-tip Ireland didn't get mentioned because Amazon doesn't have a fulfillment center here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Another Pro-tip Ireland didn't get mentioned because Amazon doesn't have a fulfillment center here.

Which I'm well aware of, which begs the question why did you even ask about Ireland if you know this?
    :rolleyes:

Cabaal wrote: »
    Which I'm well are of, which begs the question why did you even ask about Ireland if you know this?
    :rolleyes:

Sorry if the question mark threw you there, its normal to read the post before relying too much on the punctuation.

If it helps you how about.

Interesting but no mention of Ireland.

Which is a more polite way of saying it has no real relevance to the thread but is interesting all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Which is a more polite way of saying it has no real relevance to the thread but is interesting all the same.

An article discussing how shipping from the UK to the EU is being scaled back has no real relevance to a thread discussing Amazon UK prioritising the UK over Ireland?
    I was presuming that they'd be changing operations procedures now in preparation rather than waiting until midnight on 31st Dec.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    An article discussing how shipping from the UK to the EU is being scaled back has no real relevance to a thread discussing Amazon UK prioritising the UK over Ireland?
    I was presuming that they'd be changing operations procedures now in preparation rather than waiting until midnight on 31st Dec.

But it doesn't affect the prioritization that Amazon were doing for Ireland it only potentially affects the variety of items that Amazon.co.uk may have for sale.

We still don't know how Amazon will deal with their Irish Euro market.

But it doesn't affect the prioritization that Amazon were doing for Ireland it only potentially affects the variety of items that Amazon.co.uk may have for sale.

We still don't know how Amazon will deal with their Irish Euro market.

Considering the UK goverment barely knows how businesses in general are supposed to intereact with the rest of the EU in reality I find it amusing that people expect the businesses to know this far out.

Sure they can put planning in place, but making every single thing public before hand is just silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Cazale wrote: »
    Yeah but they charged people for a premium service they didn't provide. If Netflix were prioritising bandwidth to UK customers over Irish ones but still charging the Irish customers the same rate there would be uproar.

Tesco operate in Ireland and charge a lot more than the equivalent in the uk stores. Also many items are hard to get here that are offered in the uk outlets. Other services such as credit cards and car insurance have been terminated in Ireland but continued in the UK. No uproar

Advertisement