Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

VG31 wrote: »
    Sometimes early shipping isn't always a good sign. It means it's coming from Germany or somewhere else outside the UK and won't necessarily arrive much earlier than the predicted date.

Sorry check out my Ninja edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭VG31

GinSoaked wrote: »
    My last order shipped real quick but that was negated by the route

Hannover DE
    Cologne DE
    Dormagen, NW DE
    Bardon, Leicestershire GB
    Saint Helens, Merseyside GB
    DUBLIN PARCEL HUB

I had a similar experience with an order recently. It was shipped from Spain.

Sunday, 14 June
    9:45 AM
    Delivered
    DUBLIN 11,
    7:46 AM
    Out for delivery
    DUBLIN 11,

Friday, 12 June
    4:16 AM
    Parcel arrived at a carrier facility
    DUBLIN PARCEL HUB,

Thursday, 11 June
    10:51 PM
    Package departed an Amazon facility
    8:50 AM
    Package arrived at an Amazon facility

Wednesday, 10 June
    8:46 PM
    Rochester, Kent GB
    5:52 AM
    Rochester, Medway GB

Monday, 8 June
    8:56 PM
    Saint-Martin-de-Crau, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur FR
    3:19 PM
    Saint-Martin-de-Crau, Marseille FR

Sunday, 7 June
    Package has shipped

But they are still coming through the Dublin parcel hub so it would be hard to say that that is where the issue is as some have suggested.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

But they are still coming through the Dublin parcel hub so it would be hard to say that that is where the issue is as some have suggested.

A Poster on the courier forums reckons it took 12 days to get a correctly paid, correctly addressed parcel from Wicklow to Kilkenny via An Post. There are definitely problems with An Post from what I can see. Amazon is speeding up though after arrival in Dublin.

whiterebel wrote: »
    A Poster on the courier forums reckons it took 12 days to get a correctly paid, correctly addressed parcel from Wicklow to Kilkenny via An Post. There are definitely problems with An Post from what I can see. Amazon is speeding up though after arrival in Dublin.

I've had mail go to Iceland instead of Ireland (spot the similarity) but that doesn't mean every parcel with Ireland written on it will go to Iceland. There will always be one off stories of things that go wrong and as you well know they are more likely to be reported here than good news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I've had mail go to Iceland instead of Ireland (spot the similarity) but that doesn't mean every parcel with Ireland written on it will go to Iceland. There will always be one off stories of things that go wrong and as you well know they are more likely to be reported here than good news.

Have a look at the various threads on the couriers forum. Not just one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭McGiver

I've raised a number of complaints on this delivery issue and got nothing but fuzzy/vague replies

They may be letting Ireland go IMHO. It's a small market compared to the UK, with a strange accent, really a hassle to deal with from their point of view. Also, with likely Brexit implications kicking in 5 months, especially custom duties and different VAT regime, I can't see them sustaining Irish customers much longer. I wouldn't be surprised.

It's gonna be Amazon.de or other sites for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭VG31

McGiver wrote: »
    They may be letting Ireland go IMHO. It's a small market compared to the UK, with a strange accent, really a hassle to deal with from their point of view. Also, with likely Brexit implications kicking in 5 months, especially custom duties and different VAT regime, I can't see them sustaining Irish customers much longer. I wouldn't be surprised.

That makes absolutely no sense. They're opening a fulfillment centre here later this year. That's a strange thing to do if they're planning on "letting Ireland go".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/amazon-packs-a-punch-in-dublin-with-rented-warehouses-h7dkrj589

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

There's not a hope they're letting Ireland go. There is more chance of an actual Amazon.ie before they let Ireland go.

Revenues at the main Irish arm of Amazon have more than doubled over the last two years as the subsidiary recorded pretax profits of €39.7 million.

Amazon Data Services Ireland Ltd accounts alone show turnover jumped to €2.48 billion last year, up from €1.65 billion in 2018 and €1.1 billion in 2017.

They ain't going anywhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's not a hope they're letting Ireland go. There is more chance of an actual Amazon.ie before they let Ireland go.

Revenues at the main Irish arm of Amazon have more than doubled over the last two years as the subsidiary recorded pretax profits of €39.7 million.

Amazon Data Services Ireland Ltd accounts alone show turnover jumped to €2.48 billion last year, up from €1.65 billion in 2018 and €1.1 billion in 2017.

They ain't going anywhere.

Amazon Data Services != the shop.

Its AWS, the cloud computing division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Thing continue to improve , I ordered something lunchtime on Friday and it was delivered 20 mins ago !

Amazon.ie perhaps. But there's no amazon.dk, amazon.se or amazon.nl - DK would be same market size, the latter two larger. Why they would be Amazon.ie then?
    Is this the amazon retail?
    This is AWS and likely also tax haven stuff. Nothing to do with parcels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Obviously it's not the retail arm (there is none) however they have a substantial presence here and won't abandon a profitable marketplace for them. Brexit etc is a speedbump for a company like them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Amazon.ie perhaps. But there's no amazon.dk, amazon.se or amazon.nl - DK would be same market size, the latter two larger. Why they would be Amazon.ie then?

errr, yes there is
    Amazon.nl is very much a seperate website, although its around less then a year.

I see the return window is back down to 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Just a heads up in relation to German pricing.
    I was confused by the difference in price on an item I was hoping to purchase and get shipped to Parcel motel.

Germany has reduced the VAT rate to 16% from today. so approx 3.5% increase in price shipped to uk( 20%vat) and 6% increase shipped to Ireland(23%vat)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Let us know where its coming from.

This was the Journey of the book that I ordered on the 27th June
    well travelled for a £4.50 book!

An Post doing a great job as far as I can see

Thursday, 2 July
    11:17 AM Delivered

7:25 AM Out for delivery

Wednesday, 1 July
    12:50 PM Parcel arrived at a carrier facility
    DUBLIN PARCEL HUB,
    Tuesday, 30 June12:45 PM
    10:29 AM
    Monday, 29 June
    10:28 PM
    Rochester, Kent GB
    4:01 PM
    Rochester, Medway GB
    12:59 AM
    Garbsen, Hannover DE
    12:27 AM
    Garbsen, Hannover DE
    Saturday, 27 June
    Package has shipped

Stuff being shipped same day or next day when ordered, Looks back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

TimHorton wrote: »
    Stuff being shipped same day or next day when ordered, Looks back to normal.

Nope... delivery date of 22nd for some SD cards in stock and sold by Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

It's improving, I ordered items last Tuesday at 4 pm and they were delivered on Saturday.
    I was waiting over 10 days last month for items to be delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭4dxc

Guess it depends a bit who Amazon is shipping with as well. My last amazon order is coming with DPD; was supposed to come last friday, latest update says now wednesday...

Haven`t had good experience with DPD before, DHL usually is fine for me. Although as mentioned before delivery times in general are much slower than in Germany or UK where you get next day delivery nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

The stuff I ordered last week arrived in 4 days and the stuff I ordered last night had a delivery date of Friday but were dispatched last night so will probably beat that date easily enough, having said that I won’t be home til Friday anyway to use it 😀

Has anyone found Parcelmotel gone very slow? I have a parcel arrived with them on Wednesday last week and it still hasn’t arrived at my Local PM ☹️ I always used them as a backup for Amazon stuff I needed quickly, wouldn’t be so quick to use them again given the current delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Anyone know why if you order multiple items in a single transaction, they make 2 (or more) separate deliveries out of it? Also, are lost items a common thing when ordering through Amazon? Waiting 8 weeks for something (had already received the rest of the order a few weeks earlier) and got on to them and they were quick enough to tell me it was lost and replacement is now on its way. Not the first time this has happened and I wouldnt order stuff that often off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Anyone know why if you order multiple items in a single transaction, they make 2 (or more) separate deliveries out of it? Also, are lost items a common thing when ordering through Amazon? Waiting 8 weeks for something (had already received the rest of the order a few weeks earlier) and got on to them and they were quick enough to tell me it was lost and replacement is now on its way. Not the first time this has happened and I wouldnt order stuff that often off them.

I think you have the option at checkout to group into a single delivery or ship separately (I got caught out ordering to Parcel Wizard before and had to pay twice). By shipping individually, if something is delayed it doesn't affect the rest of the items.

Cabaal wrote:
    errr, yes there is Amazon.nl is very much a seperate website, although its around less then a year.

Sorry didn't know. But that's much bigger market. DK and SE wound be comparable, no Amazon.

CH3OH wrote:
    Germany has reduced the VAT rate to 16% from today. so approx 3.5% increase in price shipped to uk( 20%vat) and 6% increase shipped to Ireland(23%vat)
    I was checking that as I'm keen to move to DE amazon. Does it mean the savings aren't passed on?

dmc17 wrote: »
    I think you have the option at checkout to group into a single delivery or ship separately (I got caught out ordering to Parcel Wizard before and had to pay twice). By shipping individually, if something is delayed it doesn't affect the rest of the items.

Still risky as items maybe from different fulfilment centres , I has this with 3 Identical items to PM - Even though I chose to group items they came from 3 different centres to PM...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I was checking that as I'm keen to move to DE amazon. Does it mean the savings aren't passed on?

You get charged the VAT rate of the country that you're shipping to. That's why if you're shipping to Parcel Motel in the north you get a slight discount and when you change your address to a Irish address the price can often increase slightly.

If there was an equivalent "parcel motel" type service that shipped to Germany you'd pay the German tax rate. There probably isn't one though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    If there was an equivalent "parcel motel" type service that shipped to Germany you'd pay the German tax rate. There probably isn't one though.

https://www.mailboxde.com/

Close as you'll get to a german PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

I ordered a drill and drill bits to be delivered from Amazon.de to rural Poland on Sunday evening... I’m talking 20 houses in a hamlet, nearest Spar is 11kms away, nearest town is 33kms. It was delivered at half 11 today.

Advertisement