Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Buzz Aldrin punches anybody that suggests the moon landings were not exactly as described. that is good enough for me.

Dear God another one!!!

Am I really that profound that it is going over your heads?

And Aldrin does not go around hitting people. He punched ONE guy after being provoked - that is it. Stop saying he some sort of violent loon - he deserves respect, not that trashy talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Six times.

There were six crewed U.S. landings between 1969 and 1972, and numerous uncrewed landings.

A total of twelve men have landed on the Moon. This was accomplished with two US pilot-astronauts flying a Lunar Module on each of six NASA missions across a 41-month period starting 20 July 1969, with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on Apollo 11, and ending on 14 December 1972 with Gene Cernan and Jack Schmitt on Apollo 17. Cernan was the last man to step off the lunar surface.

No flying saucers or aliens were involved.

People do tend to forget about the other guys.

As to that last bit, how do you know?
    Dear God another one!!!

Am I really that profound that it is going over your heads?

And Aldrin does not go around hitting people. He punched ONE guy after being provoked - that is it. Stop saying he some sort of violent loon - he deserves respect, not that trashy talk.

not profound at all. deliberately obtuse perhaps. what did you mean by "As to that last bit, how do you know?" in response to "No flying saucers or aliens were involved" ? do you think there is some doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

in response to "No flying saucers or aliens were involved" ? do you think there is some doubt.

No doubt at all, I only said that so as to clarify that although this is a UFO - flying saucer thread, the Moon landings only involved humans.

Now back to unidentified aerial vehicles, would love it if we could see the "very clear' picture of that triangular craft that Joe Rogan & company keep talking about, the one that the pentagon won't release to the public :cool:

Fed up looking at grainy pics in the distance.

No doubt at all, I only said that so as to clarify that although this is a UFO - flying saucer thread, the Moon landings only involved humans.

Now back to unidentified aerial vehicles, would love it if we could see the "very clear' picture of that triangular craft that Joe Rogan & company keep talking about, the one that the pentagon won't release to the public :cool:

Fed up looking at grainy pics in the distance.

It wasn't your post I was querying

not profound at all. deliberately obtuse perhaps. what did you mean by "As to that last bit, how do you know?" in response to "No flying saucers or aliens were involved" ? do you think there is some doubt.

A bit ironic calling me stupid when you can’t grasp the meaning of my posts.

Jaysus lads, for a bunch a of people interested is history and science, a fair amount of you are just daft in the head.

No doubt sooner or later it will hit home or someone will explain it to you and then there will be the claim of “yeah like I was going along with it” but you will just be lying yourselves.

• Advertisement

It wasn't your post I was querying

Are you going to recant your statement that Aldrin goes around “punching everyone”?

EDIT - correction “anyone”

A bit ironic calling me stupid when you can’t grasp the meaning of my posts.

Jaysus lads, for a bunch a of people interested is history and science, a fair amount of you are just daft in the head.

No doubt sooner or later it will hit home or someone will explain it to you and then there will be the claim of “yeah like I was going along with it” but you will just be lying yourselves.

Too much noise and not enough signal. Cheerio.

Too much noise and not enough signal. Cheerio.

More irony - this statement from a guy not capable of tuning in.

And running off? Pretty much as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That pyramids sighting posted earlier is interesting. UFOs have been spotted at lots of important ancient locations. Stonehenge for eg.

Here's a piece from C4 news from a sighting over the Dome of The Rock in Jerusalem about ten years ago.
    https://www.channel4.com/news/is-jerusalem-light-a-ufo-a-hoax-or-god

They showed the full video on an episode of Ancient Aliens where the camera followed the UFO up into the sky and there were about a dozen red lights in formation very similar to that Egypt video, but I can't find the full version online anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭9db3xj7z41fs5u

The Sphinx of Balochistan really perplexes me. They say that it is a “natural” rock formation in Pakistan, over 12,500 years old. It looks an awful lot like the Sphinx in Egypt. I would love to hear people’s insight on this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So you just a thicko ?

You finally accept that I haven’t denied the moon landings and the in your next sentence insist that I have.

And then... ?

Oh dear...
    When I have thoughts in my head I realise others can't read them so I at least attempt to be clear in expressing them for others when communicating. If others express confusion I attempt to expand on my thoughts more clearly so there is no confusion. You have clearly failed on both the above counts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did any of you ever read the Whitley Strieber books, Communion and Transformation. I think Cristopher Walken plays Strieber in the film Communion about his alien visitations.

No one answered this because of that stupid tit for tat argument.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Sphinx of Balochistan really perplexes me. They say that it is a “natural” rock formation in Pakistan, over 12,500 years old. It looks an awful lot like the Sphinx in Egypt. I would love to hear people’s insight on this
    Where does the 12,500 years old figure come from? The rock is many millions of years older of course. IMHO anyway it looks like a naturally eroded rock formation that happens to look very vaguely sphinx like to our eyes. Our brains are great at pattern matching, particularly faces, hence you get people finding the face of Jesus/Buddha etc in stains on walls and the like. If it were carved you'd find clear evidence of sculpting on it, even after many millennia of erosion.

I notice the photos of it are only from one angle. It might look decidedly boring from another viewpoint.

The real sphinx in Egypt may have started out as a similar rock formation that the locals improved to look better. They were already interested in desert rock formations that looked like some deity or other and in a couple of cases improved them too(usually by writing a pharoahs name on them).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Some other points to consider. Some UFOs travel at speeds way over supersonic but they don't create a sonic-boom.
    Most witnesses say they are silent, some people claim they make a low humming sound.

People who have got close to a landed craft say that surrounding sounds like birdsong etc. stop dead when reach a certain distance, like the craft is ringed by a wall of silence.
    Some say the UFOs are creating a sort of vacuum around them, like their own mini-atmosphere that protects them and lets them defy the laws of gravity and physics as we know them.

They manouver unlike any normal aircraft: they can reach high speeds instantly with no acceleration.
    They can make perfect right angle turns at extreme speeds without banking into a curve like a normal plane would. This would kill a human pilot instantly.

They have been seen flying into and out of water, sometimes without disturbing the surface tension.

No one answered this because of that stupid tit for tat argument.
    I read Communion. Very interesting book about abductions, I didn't know there was a film made of it.
    The two Richard Dolan books UFOs and The National Security State are well worth reading for anyone with an interest in the subject

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UFOs-National-Security-State-Chronology/dp/1571743170/ref=sr_1_2?crid=33UG7AZ8HV5CF&dchild=1&keywords=richard+dolan&qid=1607516287&s=books&sprefix=richard+dolan%2Caps%2C154&sr=1-2
    Dolan was a skeptic at first who wanted to prove that UFOs didn't exist. Now he's one of the top researchers in the field.

And you are right, that stupid argument is derailing the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The first time since I was a teenager that I've taken this UFO business seriously was upon hearing that US navy pilot Fravor describe seeing the "tictac" UFO. Definitely something interesting going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I do believe that intelligent life exists somewhere else in the universe but the problem is meeting them - universe is billion years old, humanity has been around for the period of time that is a tiniest blip in that time... What are the chances of meeting another civilization that "blipped" anytime in those billion years, anywhere within space billion of light years across... Winning euromillions is nearly guaranteed comparing to that!

j@utis wrote: »
    I do believe that intelligent life exists somewhere else in the universe but the problem is meeting them - universe is billion years old, humanity has been around for the period of time that is a tiniest blip in that time... What are the chances of meeting another civilization that "blipped" anytime in those billion years, anywhere within space billion of light years across... Winning euromillions is nearly guaranteed comparing to that!
    That's the thing J, we simply don't fecking know. For life we have an example of precisely one. Even the Earth, the only planet we know hosts life only hosts one form pretty much. All life is related, all sprang from the same origin. We don't even have "aliens" here and apparently Earth was in the sweet spot for it.

For intelligent life we have an example of precisely one too. In all of the history of the planet Earth only one line of species ever looked to bigger brains as the evolutionary killer app, and only one really took off with that; Homo Sapiens Sapiens, Us. Complex life could be vanishingly rare and if and when it kicks off intelligent life like ours could be impossibly rare.

Or life could be common and intelligent life could be common enough too. If our planet hadn't gone through those major extinction events in the past, maybe we could have had human level brains 100's of millions of years ago. We just don't know.

Until we find evidence to the contrary, the statements life is everywhere/life is extremely rare could be equally true.

This might seem a bit crackers, but is it possible that UAPs (might be) terrestrial & not extra terrestrial :eek:

In other words I often wonder if we are sharing this planet with some other form of life, an advanced species who inhabit the same space as us, but on a much more advanced level, hence we only get to glimpse them out of the corner of our eye, with ultra advanced flying craft maybe they are the top lifeform within what we consider to be 'our atmosphere' ?

These reports of submersible craft that can also inhabit the skies makes me wonder if they actually live here?

Another possibility is that maybe all this UFO traffic is ourselves as time travellers from the distant future?

One thing's for sure, it has now been accepted that UAPs exist, and that they are intelligent & very advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That pyramids sighting posted earlier is interesting. UFOs have been spotted at lots of important ancient locations. Stonehenge for eg.

The reason you might be less likely to see a photo or video of something you can't identify in the air snapped from a field in Cavan rather than from a UNESCO world heritage site could be down to the fact that there aren't many tourists with cameras rolling crawling all over a pile of ****e in a field in Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So there's a lot of chat online within the last week regarding the latest UAP revelations, specially the picture of a triangular craft snapped @35,000ft over the Atlantic (from the cockpit of an F-18), but why is it constantly referred to as s "cube" when it's obviously triangular?

Why didn't the pilot try get closer to get a better pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I often wonder why don't military planes fire a few shots at these UFOs? They seem to be in restricted airspace often. If knocked down they could be examined.

saabsaab wrote: »
    I often wonder why don't military planes fire a few shots at these UFOs? They seem to be in restricted airspace often. If knocked down they could be examined.

Not a good plan for a number of reasons.

The main one is that the pilot doesn't know what it is, hence the Unidentified part of the thing. It could turn out to be a passenger airplane. Might not be popular for shooting one of them down.

If it's an alien spaceship, it probably has the technology to avoid being shot down by us. Or will have superior firepower given that their technology would have to be far superior to ours for them to get here in the first place.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Not a good plan for a number of reasons.

The main one is that the pilot doesn't know what it is, hence the Unidentified part of the thing. It could turn out to be a passenger airplane. Might not be popular for shooting one of them down.

If it's an alien spaceship, it probably has the technology to avoid being shot down by us. Or will have superior firepower given that their technology would have to be far superior to ours for them to get here in the first place.

Surprising all the same as an unidentified aircraft in restricted airspace is fair game in some parts of the world. It may not be vulnerable but then again a spear from 200BC will still do damage to a modern soldier. Interesting to see a reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Heard a few tales of Iranian military attempting to shoot at UFOs as they believed them to be hostile American airships.. they lose all control until they were out of its reach. Almost as if it can read humans.

There are also stories of Russian Military shooting at a UFO after it breached one of its airbases. 23 soldiers were instantly killed and turned into stone after the entities merged into a bright light...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/770158/Russian-soldiers-turned-stone-UFO-CIA-report

In other words don't shoot at UFOs guys. That's caveman stuff.

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Heard a few tales of Iranian military attempting to shoot at UFOs as they believed them to be hostile American airships.. they lose all control until they were out of its reach. Almost as if it can read humans.

There are also stories of Russian Military shooting at a UFO after it breached one of its airbases. 23 soldiers were instantly killed and turned into stone after the entities merged into a bright light...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/770158/Russian-soldiers-turned-stone-UFO-CIA-report

Regarding the 23 soldiers the following is relevant

'The CIA file said the source of the information had come from the Canadian Weekly World News, which was known at the time for publishing outlandish and fictional news headlines'

Don't know about the Iranian story's background but I think I read about it once.

'According to U.S journalist Philip J. Klass, it was likely the pilots initially saw an astronomical body, probably Jupiter, an explanation also cited by aerospace researcher James Oberg. Klass wrote that pilot incompetence and equipment malfunction likely accounted for the reported equipment failures.[3]

According to Klass, the Westinghouse technician at Shahrokhi airbase stated that only the first F-4 reported failing equipment, and that this F-4 was known for equipment failures with a long history of electrical outages, having been repaired only a month before the incident. Klass cites a McDonnell Douglas repair supervisor's opinion that the F-4's radar could have been in "manual track" mode, causing a wrong interpretation of the radar lock.[3]

Bridgstock criticized UFOlogists reports as "not a reliable account of the Iran UFO incident" and summed up Klass' conclusions:[2]

Klass found that only one aircraft had suffered electrical malfunctions, not two. What is more, that plane had had a history of unexplained electrical faults, and the electrical workshop responsible for it was notorious for poor performance. In this context, a temporary electrical malfunction can hardly be characterised as mysterious. He also points out that the aircrews at the time were tired and rattled, and could have mistaken stars or meteors for UFOs and "missiles". In addition, Klass points out that radio faults on airliners are not unknown, and that is why they carry backup radio sets.'

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Why didn't the pilot try get closer to get a better pic?

I reference that in #635.

There is a very clear picture of a triangular shaped craft, but it hasn't been released by the Pentagon yet!

I reference that in #635.

There is a very clear picture of a triangular shaped craft, but it hasn't been released by the Pentagon yet!

I'm not being smart but how does Joe Rogan know that the Pentagon have a clear, but as of yet unreleased photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Regarding the 23 soldiers the following is relevant

'The CIA file said the source of the information had come from the Canadian Weekly World News, which was known at the time for publishing outlandish and fictional news headlines'

Don't know about the Iranian story's background but I think I read about it once.

Yep, that Express article is a prime example of BS sensationalism.

No wonder it's so hard to discern what's true about this subject when there's so much of this shite going on.

Another gem from the Weekly World News - quick, someone get this to the Express!
    Weekly_World_News_-_Cover_Art_4800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

jmlad2020 wrote: »

So we are adding ESP to the mix?

Advertisement