Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

No trackers.

If I were you and definitely wanted to go with a pacer, I would go off with the 4:00 or 4:30 and push on after 30-35km or so if you have the legs.

I think 3:30 may be unrealistic as you might blow up too soon? I think you said it yourself - over 6 years since completing a marathon - I think the main aim here would be to complete it in one piece and build for another?

Your long runs - what pace are you hitting? Is it comfortable? What's your (presumably) final long run this weekend looking like?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

Hi Rizee I did 21 miles in little over 9 minutes pace 2 weeks ago. Will aim to do the same again tomorrow and maybe try to make a little more effort. That will be telling.

After that I'm into taper.

It is over 6 years since my last finish (3:59) but certainly 4:30 would be too slow whereas I'd hope to do better than 4.

So it's either 3:30 or try to pace myself at around 3:40/3:39.

Tomorrow will be telling.

Good stuff, let us know how you get on! From what is advertised Galway is meant to be flat and fast (we won't mention any potential wind!) so if you were going at 8:55 pace it's just under 3hr55mins. Assuming your training pace is slower than your planned marathon pace, you will be fine for a sub 4 all going to plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

The website says there is a 3:45 pacer too.

Thank you 🙂, what are the numbers in the marathon? About 200? And the 10K starts at 10:30 so we'll presumably meet them in the second half? 🙂

• Advertisement

Sold out now!

Got 22 miles Saturday at 8:35 per mile pace which was good but experienced a few 'problems' afterwards and will speak to my GP before I book transport...

What I did realise is the importance of food. Felt really bad when I went in the door after the long run. But recovered rapidly with food (Milk and porridge/Banana mostly). I'm going to have to try carry some food, presumably a banana or jellies? And eat them in the latter stages...

Going to take it easy for a few days...

Are you taking gels during your long runs?

I had 3 Gels Rizee, one spilled quite a bit though. Perhaps I was 1 or 2 short? How many would most people use over 26.2 miles? Can one use too many?.

Over a 22 mile run, I personally would have had 6 gels taken (Hi-5 Gels). I take every 5.5-6km / 25ish minutes but I've been training with them over a couple of plans at this stage. I wouldn't take more than 7/after the 36 or 37km mark as they might not be activated in your system by the time you finish the race.

The thing to remember is that everybody is different and you have to train with them / see what you can tolerate. I know 2 people who run without any gels!

What about hydration, did you bring/have enough water? I was on a Nutritionist Zoom talk last week and he said roughly 500ml water/hr to account for sweat loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

The gels make me feel sick. I did 20 miles on Sunday with only water. A good big bowl of porridge and a banana an hour and a half before running is all I'll have.

Thank you, so I definitely didn't have consume enough Gels then.

I thought I was well hydrated but then again when I went to 'pee' afterwards, very little came and it wasn't clear. Does this mean anything? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

As Rizzee said , gels are very much unique to everyone but you do need to train with them to see how the stomach reacts. I tend to have 3 to 4 gels during a marathon including one caffeine version around midway. On a training 20 mile run last week for example, I just took one about the 8 mile territory. I stash a 500 ml bottle of water and always consume it all on any run over 15/16 miles. Anyway, glad this race is going ahead, surely nothing can stop it now 🙄

Would 3 days before the race be too close to get a Deep Tissue Massage? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Personally, I think that's too close yeh. You could probably get a lighter massage that close but deep tissue I would think approx 5 days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

Registered for the half and did 10 on Sunday. Found out now I have a confirmation on same day, raging

I'm booked in the Tuesday before hand for a loosener

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Have you been getting massages 3 days before (at least some of) your long runs in training? If you have, then you already know how you'll feel. If you haven't, then why on earth would you do something completely untested like that 3 days out from your race?

Same point applies to gels. You should already know what your nutrition will be for long runs. Now isn't the time to be introducing something new. Those decisions are made at the start of a training cycle, not at the end

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I wouldn't normally get a massage 3 days but life isn't always as 'black and white'. There isn't much availability where I usually attend that week. The only vacancy is... Well days before the race..

Now booked in for the Thursday before, which I think is a bit early but as I said availability of slots is scarce..

And as for nutrition, well until last weekend it was 2015 since I had run 22 miles. And do not usually eat much if anything before a run.

But I know now that before I do 26.2, I'll need to eat a lot more and possibly a little during as well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sussex18, I have ITB and find i have to be very careful with what i eat on long runs or i feel really ill during the latter half and downstairs things start cramping and being generally unpleasant.

Things i've noticed which help me, YMMV, - caffeine gels make things worse, pushing very hard makes things worse (especially the further into the distance you go), even easing back by 5 seconds per mile helps. Eat well before the start of the run and nothing too heavy or meaty (spag bol breakfast (tomato sauce, no parmesan and v little meat) hits the spot for me - little/no fibre if it can be avoided for long run breakfast, More smaller gels is better than a few bigger ones, i'm planning to have my last gel around 17 miles as I think even taking all the advice before that will be as late as i can leave it safely. Water doesnt seem to affect my tummy at all and helps performance obviously so will be keeping hydrated within reason thoughout.

I'm runing Belfast on the 3rd, hope both our tummys make it through safely!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks Supercell. Thanks for sharing and that's very helpful.

I have pretty bad IT Band syndrome as well, which can be managed but not cured...

I also have IBS, made worse by speed, which is why I usually run empty, or try not to eat for a long time before running. Similar to what you say, it's not too bad at a gentle pace but can be very bad say in a fast 5K.

But I'm going to need food here as I said.. Are you saying then that food later 17 miles is too late? Or would it be reasonable to eat a few Jellies, a banana or part of, at 20 or 22 miles?. 🙂

Thanks S

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hi S, sorry I meant to type IBD not ITB doh!, so we suffer similar ailments as I guessed from your post. It's a matter of degree of how bad your/our IBD is on the day as to how much of a cautious approach is best

I did a slow 20 mile run a couple of weeks ago and it was ok but I could feel the beginning of grumbles below, that said I didn't prepare for that as strictly as I intend to on thebig day, fingers crossed it's just my legs I have to worry about on the day!

For myself I darent risk gels beyond 17 miles though I will carry some jellies as well and will use after that - tummy permitting. I saw my consultant a couple of weeks ago and she suggested taking a couple of immodium beforehand though I would hasten to recommend that to you as I'm not qualified to do so, one to ask your doc if you see them beforehand.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks Supercell, I do appreciate that. See you on the second hopefully 🙂

Does an experienced runner generally aim to keep the same pace throughout the full 26.2 miles or is it accepted that the last 6.2 or so will be slower?. I assume that one would aim for a fairly even pace?

In my first marathon, now 8 years ago, I got to 20 miles in 2:55 and finished in 4:22. The second time I did better due to the pacers.

I am an experienced runner, just not in marathons.

10 miles today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

How long is a piece of string!? 🙂 It depends on a huge number of factors. Most people would aim/like to negative split their marathons, but those who do are generally in the minority.

Dublin for example is a perfect course to negative split as you're climbing for the majority of the first 7 miles and, one or two small drags aside, the second half is there to be got at. I'm not sure of the Galway course so I couldn't speak to course tactics there.

Have you been including any 'stuff' in your long runs; MP sections, progression runs etc?

Make sure to have an A goal, B goal etc. There will be peaks and troughs in the race no matter what pace you're moving at and If you do get to 20/22 miles and you're a little down on your main goal, it's good to have something else to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Its very hard to run even splits all the way though. Some miles are harder either mentally or physically and some miles your cursing. Run at a pace that has some lee way. Say you are going for 3:30 8:00 min/mile (5:00 Min/K) Then run a pace between 7:45/8:15 per mile it will all even out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think Galway is a good course to aim for even splits. I've done a negative split in Dublin a couple of times but Galway is probably more suited to even splits IMO.

Also, remember the more aggressive your target or in other words the closer to the edge of your ability on the day that you are running, the harder it will be to negative split. It's not something I'd get bogged down in for Galway anyhow, the course is reasonably flat so even splits make sense. If it's a windy day then you may need to think of it more in terms of laps - so the outward laps at x:xx pace and the return lap at x:xx +/- 10seconds depending on wind direction! If that makes any sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Definitely agree re the wind, Galway pretty much flat with a couple small drags, potential wind is the big issue.

also note you run a decent chunk on the concrete prom as opposed to tarred road so it can take a bit more out of your legs

TbL

Advertisement