Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

5 marathons scheduled for mid may now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

5 marathons scheduled for mid may now.

Have you any links, please?

rizzee wrote: »
    Have you any links, please?

Check out the MCI facebook page.
    There is back 2 back marathons in Lilliput may 15/16 and the 3 others are too be announced 2moro

Check out the MCI facebook page.
    There is back 2 back marathons in Lilliput may 15/16 and the 3 others are too be announced 2moro

Not on FB but I'll use the other half a to take a look later, thanks!

Was hoping for a sneaky one this Saturday coming, the 8th. Looks like it's still the a solo in the PP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

48 hours out... anybody else fancy a rainy Saturday Salthill marathon?? :)

• Advertisement

pudgeydev wrote: »

Sure what else would you be doing

pudgeydev wrote: »

PP appears to be the same. 100% chance of rain. Lovely!! Best of luck.

How did you get on pudgey? I went out a couple of hours later than expected to avoid the rain. Was absolutely boiling and humid but got the job done for a pb and something to beat come October fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

How did you get on pudgey? I went out a couple of hours later than expected to avoid the rain. Was absolutely boiling and humid but got the job done for a pb and something to beat come October fingers crossed

Terrible I'm afraid! Went out too fast and wind didn't help, conked after 8 miles and remaining 16 miles were slow and miserable. Plodded home in 4:12 hours, 45 minutes out of target time.

After an hour I knew I wasn't gonna hit my goal, found it a real mental challenge to keep running and not just quit, but kept going I did, so hoping that'll stand to me mentally.

I got a great colour though, so always a positive..Onwards and upwards!!

Fair play putting the head down and keeping at it! Distance done with no pressure for time. It'll definitely stand you come October! Now lap up on the after sun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

Is there múch chance of this going ahead do others think? It's nearly time for the 'heavy lifting' if it is ��

Sussex18 wrote: »
    Is there múch chance of this going ahead do others think? It's nearly time for the 'heavy lifting' if it is ��

I’d say they’re holding off until the DCM announcement next week and we will find out... fingers crossed anyway :-)

I've a room booked with free cancellation for the Friday night, if it does go ahead.

But yeah that does make sense as regards 'Dublin', will probably have an affect on much of what happens in the autumn..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I’d say they’re holding off until the DCM announcement next week and we will find out... fingers crossed anyway :-)

The scale is very different - Galway Bay full had 348 finishers in 2019, granted it was closer to 3000 over the different events but the events already have different start times, seems a lot more manageable than DCM. Add to that there is no big indoor Expo or a mammoth number of volunteers to consider as the course is relatively short due to being looped. No reason to think at this stage that GB won't go ahead but the next few weeks will be interesting to see how the Delta variant pans out here and in the UK.

ariana` wrote: »
    The scale is very different - Galway Bay full had 348 finishers in 2019, granted it was closer to 3000 over the different events but the events already have different start times, seems a lot more manageable than DCM. Add to that there is no big indoor Expo or a mammoth number of volunteers to consider as the course is relatively short due to being looped. No reason to think at this stage that GB won't go ahead but the next few weeks will be interesting to see how the Delta variant pans out here and in the UK.

Very good points! I really don’t fancy another virtual :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭event

Is it sold out?

event wrote: »
    Is it sold out?

I don't think it's sold out but there marathon is capped at about 4 or 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Hey folks
    I posted this in the fitness forum, not realizing about this forum.

Any thoughts on below would be appreciated. Thanks...and sorry if it takes this discussion off topics. (mods feel free to move)

Could I run a marathon?
    So, quick background. 40 yr old male. 6 ft, 270 lbs. Last few years weight has ranged from 290 to 245.
    Pretty active despite the beer belly and before covid played competitive soccer once a week, basketball once or twice a week, spinning class and the odd random gym class.
    Things slipped exercise wise during covid but during the winter I started a couch to 5k running program. Ended up jacking it after a few weeks in as the temperatures got down to below -15 (I live in Canada)
    When Spring came around I took it up again and have gone from barely being able to run for 3 or 4 mins at a time, to doing 30 mins straight. Pace is pretty slow as I am doing about 4k in that time but will be aiming to increase to 35 and 40 minutes soon to hit it.
    As things have improved the grandiose idea of running a marathon has popped into my head. I know that's a hell of a leap from running for 30 minutes, but I was running zero minutes a while ago.
    I think it would be an amazing accomplishment and I feel like it could be the BIG goal I need to actually shift this weight.

I would be thinking about working towards it over the course of a year. For anyone on here that has tackled one, is this realistic or am I off my rocker? Of course that depends on my discipline and work rate, but let's just assume I could follow some sort of training plan for a year...worth trying or doomed to fail???

Cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

Hey folks
    I posted this in the fitness forum, not realizing about this forum.

Any thoughts on below would be appreciated. Thanks...and sorry if it takes this discussion off topics. (mods feel free to move)

Could I run a marathon?
    So, quick background. 40 yr old male. 6 ft, 270 lbs. Last few years weight has ranged from 290 to 245.
    Pretty active despite the beer belly and before covid played competitive soccer once a week, basketball once or twice a week, spinning class and the odd random gym class.
    Things slipped exercise wise during covid but during the winter I started a couch to 5k running program. Ended up jacking it after a few weeks in as the temperatures got down to below -15 (I live in Canada)
    When Spring came around I took it up again and have gone from barely being able to run for 3 or 4 mins at a time, to doing 30 mins straight. Pace is pretty slow as I am doing about 4k in that time but will be aiming to increase to 35 and 40 minutes soon to hit it.
    As things have improved the grandiose idea of running a marathon has popped into my head. I know that's a hell of a leap from running for 30 minutes, but I was running zero minutes a while ago.
    I think it would be an amazing accomplishment and I feel like it could be the BIG goal I need to actually shift this weight.

I would be thinking about working towards it over the course of a year. For anyone on here that has tackled one, is this realistic or am I off my rocker? Of course that depends on my discipline and work rate, but let's just assume I could follow some sort of training plan for a year...worth trying or doomed to fail???

Cheers all.

Pretty much the vast majority can get around a marathon. How you get around is a different question. Do you want to just finish ala run/walk or do a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Trampas wrote: »
    Pretty much the vast majority can get around a marathon. How you get around is a different question. Do you want to just finish ala run/walk or do a certain time.

Well for the first one just finish but would want to run it all. And within reason too. Whats a good time for a first timer? About 4 hours?

• Advertisement

Just in case no one seen their latest update:

Following the announcement that the KBC Dublin Marathon is being postponed, we wanted to give you an update on Run Galway Bay. As our event is much smaller and doesn't depend on International visitors we are still very hopeful that our COVID-19 safety plan will be approved and that the event will go ahead. It will no doubt be a slightly different experience this year with some restrictions in place but we will keep you updated over the coming weeks. In the meantime keep up the training and stay safe.

Have most of the training done but I've come to realise the past few days that this is actually very unlikely to happen.

If there is a limit of 200 people for outdoor activities, even if they do it in waves, I can't see how they could manage a 10K and even Half Marathon.

Thoughts?

Still at the training myself, staying hopeful. Emailed a week or two ago asking for an update and again on Twitter, no response yet.

If it doesn't go ahead this will be my third time in a row preparing for a marathon and not getting to the finish line.

One DNF in Dublin , Covid last spring and possibly this.. Belfast I think is on the day after and still open but the journey after running 26.2 miles, would be too much for me I think.

Might do Belfast for a Parkrun but not a marathon.

It's such a pity. If it doesn't go ahead this will be the 3rd cancellation and my 3rd Galway virtual.

Fingers crossed we will have some definite news sooner rather than later.

Not wanting to be negative but I don't think I will consider a marathon again for a very long time, if it doesn't happen in Galway. 3 successive preparations without 'result', and the 18/20 Milers are really hard mentally. It's now or not for a long time again.

It's easy to do a half, do 10 miles every second or third weekend and you can get around a half...

Part of me is thinking of doing a virtual full anyway, just tp prove to myself that I can, as the training is nearly done.

But it wouldn't be with the same effort or sense of achievement.

Marathon Club Ireland I thought might have events in the pipeline, but they've been very quiet...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Hoping it goes ahead, well into training for it. It will be my first one. Hoping to do it in under 4 hours. Finding the long training runs tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Was training for Dingle, that was cancelled so did a solo one about 2 weeks ago. Next one is Galway Bay so fingers crossed for this event. Training going well but its starting to look uncertain now with cases on the rise. Still waiting on travel info for getting into the US for Chicago on the 10th Oct. Never been fitter but no official marathon to showcase it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

As a back up plan I'd suggest people to consider the Enniscrone marathon in Sligo. Only one I could find in the west of Ireland on at the same time. It's capped at 200 people so very likely to go ahead unlike Galway Bay which will be over the 200. It's on Sunday 3rd instead of Saturday 2nd for Galway so falls perfectly into line with anyone doing training. Now it will be smaller and won't have the buzz of a big marathon but better than the training going to waste.

https://www.facebook.com/countysligomarathon/

I've no relationship with either the Galway or Enniscrone marathon. Only connection is my brother ran the Enniscrone one a while back.

• Advertisement

Run Galway Bay Update

We understand that everyone who has entered and those thinking of entering are hoping as much as we are that the event will go ahead in October.

We have been in extended consultations with Galway City Council and the Gardaí who couldn't be more supportive of our efforts to stage this year's event. We are all extremely hopeful and positive, however we cannot give a guarantee just yet.

This email is just to give reassurance to everyone that we at Run Galway Bay are planning for the event as normal. Road Closure Application, Parks Application, Insurance, AI Permit, etc have all been applied for. Medals, T-shirts, and various supplies have already been shipped. Event staff and infrastructure has been planned and we are ready to roll on October 2nd... WE HOPE.

As for an update on entries... there are only 130 entries left in The Full Marathon and the Half Marathon will be sold out soon. The 10K should have places through to early September.

We thank you all for your understanding in these trying times but we hope our assurance that we are doing absolutely everything we can to stage this year's event will help you keep focused on your training and keep a smile on your face :)

Regards

Ray O'Connor

RACE DIRECTOR

Advertisement