Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

ariana` wrote: »
    If there is going to be a lot of demand for these places then you'd expect giving a refund to a portion of people and freeing up more places shouldn't be such an issue :rolleyes:

They have paid the suppliers and now they have t shirts & medals they can't do anything with.they cannot give refunds as the money is gone all ready.such a shame they cant/won't give refunds

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Come and do this one in NI as your virtual run for Dublin, Galway London etc

https://online.athleticsni.org/ps/event/ChampionChipIrelandRunningSeriesEvent8DownRoyal

Come and do this one in NI as your virtual run for Dublin, Galway London etc

https://online.athleticsni.org/ps/event/ChampionChipIrelandRunningSeriesEvent8DownRoyal

Give us more details please.whats the route like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

They have paid the suppliers and now they have t shirts & medals they can't do anything with.they cannot give refunds as the money is gone all ready.such a shame they cant/won't give refunds

How do you know that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Usually there is a 3-4 week lead time to order shirts and medals so the organisers would have had to make a call then on wether to cancel or plow on and give no refunds, if that is the case then accepting entries with a chance it may not go ahead and knowing refunds were not an option is pretty bad form - wouldn't touch this race with a barge pole in the future.

Usually there is a 3-4 week lead time to order shirts and medals so the organisers would have had to make a call then on wether to cancel or plow on and give no refunds, if that is the case then accepting entries with a chance it may not go ahead and knowing refunds were not an option is pretty bad form - wouldn't touch this race with a barge pole in the future.

If they were ordering large quantities of medals and t shirts then the lead in time would have been more than 3 to 4 weeks. I have ordered a few hundred medals and had to have it away 4 weeks ahead of time. It would have been longer for thousands.

If they were ordering large quantities of medals and t shirts then the lead in time would have been more than 3 to 4 weeks. I have ordered a few hundred medals and had to have it away 4 weeks ahead of time. It would have been longer for thousands.

At least 3 months out the order was placed & paid for.bad form but the simply don't have the €€€ for refunds.
    They will lose more because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Was there any virtual option for this in the end? I'm doing 3.5ish x 12km loops in the Phoenix Park this Saturday instead as I've trained the last 4 months for this. Then I'll aim to beat it again come May/October!

Not around the weekend of the 24th for the marathon up North unfortunately.

rizzee wrote: »
    Was there any virtual option for this in the end? I'm doing 3.5ish x 12km loops in the Phoenix Park this Saturday instead as I've trained the last 4 months for this. Then I'll aim to beat it again come May/October!

Not around the weekend of the 24th for the marathon up North unfortunately.

L2R virtual ?
    I'm doing similar in the Phoenix park too 2moro
    No virtual for Galway I think

• Advertisement

Just said I'd bump the thread - anyone training for 8th of May in the hope it will go ahead this time? Same story here again - will run a marathon if it doesn't go ahead and then fingers crossed for October if it's pushed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Just said I'd bump the thread - anyone training for 8th of May in the hope it will go ahead this time? Same story here again - will run a marathon if it doesn't go ahead and then fingers crossed for October if it's pushed!

I'm not at the moment. I'm also injured and promised myself I wouldn't train for a marathon again unless I know there is one at the end of the cycle. I really wanted to do that particular race in the end after DCM was axed. Cork, which I was also signed up for in 2020 is due to be a few weeks later. Hard to see either of them happening at that stage of the year. I will either have 3 marathons to run in Autumn or none :)

Connamarathon pulled and rescheduled until 2022.cant see anything happening soon apart from virtuals

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

No chance that is going ahead in May

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

I think it will be autumn for any big city marathon. Local ones might get going in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭event

Dublin and Clonakilty are the only marathons with a chance this year imo

event wrote: »

Nah I'd say some of the smaller 1s might go ahead b4 any bigger 1s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I've no plan to train for a May marathon. If GB goes ahead in May I'll either drop down to the HM or else defer to October - assuming the organisers provide those as options. But honestly, imo the chances of anything going ahead in May are slim to none :cool:
    event wrote: »

What is this based on out of interest? I'd say Clon has a chance being late November and not huge numbers. But DCM with 20,000 runners packed onto the streets of Dublin just seems so far removed from how we are living right now that it's unimaginable...

Vaccine roll out plan is 4 million vaccinated by end of Sept. It may decrease or increase due to production levels/single shot vaccines. But at 4 million vaccinated, surely all Oct & Nov marathons could go ahead ?

6run28 wrote: »
    Vaccine roll out plan is 4 million vaccinated by end of Sept. It may decrease or increase due to production levels/single shot vaccines. But at 4 million vaccinated, surely all Oct & Nov marathons could go ahead ?

These are the bits that make me think it will be longer than we may anticipate right now :cool: They already hit a delay with supply this past week, how many weeks into the plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

There will be no mass participation events this year. Very small events such as the MCI marathons may go ahead during a short summer window. Does anyone else feel the tone of the talk about vaccines has become much less positive and confident? I mean at official level, not our consistent tinfoil hat, anti vax friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

These are the bits that make me think it will be longer than we may anticipate right now :cool: They already hit a delay with supply this past week, how many weeks into the plan?

Definitely agree. As a project manager I know at this stage if your plan is sleeping a week or two into the plan then you can be sure as hell guaranteed there's more slips to come.

But even if it drops hugely by say a million to 3 million people vaccinated that would still be every old person, every vulnerable person, every carer & front line worker and far more besides vaccinated. So why could race's not go ahead ? Not being smart, Im just not sure the logic behind it.

6run28 wrote: »
    But even if it drops hugely by say a million to 3 million people vaccinated that would still be every old person, every vulnerable person, every carer & front line worker and far more besides vaccinated. So why could race's not go ahead ? Not being smart, Im just not sure the logic behind it.

I didn't think you were being smart at all :)

My logic is simple, there's too big a gap from where we are now to close in 9 months to allow that level of mass gathering of people (and as an aside a huge amount of whom will have compromised immune systems after a heavy marathon training block & race).

It's been shown with the new strain it's not just the old who are vulnerable. Any of us could be vulnerable, it seems to be pot luck as to who gets a little sick, who gets quite sick and who gets very sick. And here's long Covid as well and the prolonged effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I didn't think you were being smart at all :)

My logic is simple, there's too big a gap from where we are now to close in 9 months to allow that level of mass gathering of people (and as an aside a huge amount of whom will have compromised immune systems after a heavy marathon training block & race).

It's been shown with the new strain it's not just the old who are vulnerable. Any of us could be vulnerable, it seems to be pot luck as to who gets a little sick, who gets quite sick and who gets very sick. And here's long Covid as well and the prolonged effects.

Plus the decision on whether DCM can go ahead will be made long before October. So its not really 9 months left to decide. Realistically its 5ish? Not 100% sure on that one though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah DCM probably need to make a decision in June.
    At that stage, they may just have to cancel, be very hard to call 4 months in advance.

Run Galway Bay May Event Rescheduled to October 2nd

We have made the decision to reschedule our May event to October 2nd due to the current Covid-19 pandemic.

Your entry has automatically been transferred to the new date and you can take this email as confirmation.

The safety of our participants and supporters is always our number one priority so we had previously stated that we would follow the latest government guidelines in order to suppress Covid-19.

We had worked closely with Galway City Council in the hope that a socially-distant compliant event would be possible in May but realistically in order to follow anticipated updated government guidelines it will be impossible.

We know there will be huge disappointment following this announcement and we look forward to welcoming you to Nimmo's Pier and the start line of our October 2nd 2021 event.

Thank you for your understanding in these trying times and we hope you and your loved ones keep safe and well.

Regards
    Ray O'Connor
    RACE DIRECTOR

Anyone doing their own virtual on May 8th, or holding off getting back into marathon training until the Summer? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Anyone doing their own virtual on May 8th, or holding off getting back into marathon training until the Summer? :D

Yep, will do it out in Salthill, I've trained for it goddammit!!

Hard part will be having my own drink stations!

• Advertisement

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Yep, will do it out in Salthill, I've trained for it goddammit!!

Hard part will be having my own drink stations!

Best of luck!

Advertisement