Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I learned to my cost that your watch is highly unlikely to measure 26.2. Therefore, when you are working out your pace, work out a pace for 26.5 miles.

In Amsterdam 2019, I ran exactly 43km according to my watch. If I had paced myself to the marathon distance only, I would have missed my target. (Which happened me in Rotterdam in 2016)

If you do just run the exact distance, you've shaved a couple of minutes off!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

Yes presumably 26.2 miles involves keeping an exact line, which is very unlikely for such a long distance? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Another email update, no pacers

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

Just saw that about pacers. Just have to figure it out myself. Delighted that it's going ahead anyway.

Yeah, I'm happy - one less distraction trying to follow someone!!

• Advertisement

The last 6 miles is when it will be become hard to 'pace myself' as I've naturally dropped off dramatically in that segment in my 2 previous completed marathons. On the latter occasion the pacer 'saved me', wouldn't have gotten near 4 hours without him.

So will have to fuel up adequately with gels I suppose and hopefully the tank will still have enough in it come 20 miles 🙂.

Yes great that it is going ahead. Had the training almost done for Limerick last year and have maintained 40 miles weeks more often than not throughout the pandemic. Great that I will hopefully have something now to 'show for it 🙂'.

Switch the last 6 miles in your head to 5.5 miles - around 9km - or 1 lap to go :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You'll never run an exact line, or even if you do your watch will be off anyway. So it's better to use the distance markers and elapsed time as your pace guides, not your watch average pace. That's why people use pace wristbands. But this is all only relevant if you have a very precise target in mind.

I've done the half twice before in Galway so I know the loops, but how long exactly are they?.

5 miles for the Longer lap and about 3 for the shorter one, is that accurate enough? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

The course has changed ever so slightly over the years actually, even though the bulk of it is the same. The longer lap that we will do 4 times has remained the same, you would have done that twice on your HM, but the part that makes up the other couple of miles / few KMs has changed. A few years ago the route went down Gentian Hill a bit passed the golf course before you turn back, then they took that bit out and instead you did some extra loops before starting on the big loop - it went out the path to Mutton Island and had a turning point half-way out there one year, then more recently I think it just went down Salthill on the prom part of the way and back again for 2 small loops before the main loops.

I don't know if it's something they decide based on weather conditions or if it's related to preferences by locals/Garda etc... But the main loop that we will do 4 times is close enough to 5.5-6 miles I think. Certainly when you are facing into your last lap you will definitely have less than 10km to go 🙂

• Advertisement

Number arrived :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yes I was going to tear the envelope 'carelessly', as thought it look like typical junk mail, but no it was the race number. Just as well I took care as a 'taped up' number wouldn't look great in the photos🙂

Anyone know if there are mile markers / km markers or both on the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I think they have both but you need to have your wits about you as there are 3 races and some on multiple loops, if I remember correctly the distance markers are colour coded

TbL

Is there possibility of taking a wrong turn, hopefully it's clear? 🙂

Staying at Jury's Inn Friday night, that's only a very short walk to the start area isn't it? And presumably there is a shop near the finish area for recovery food like milk or bananas? I'll need to refuel pretty quickly as presumably will the rest of us? 🙂

You won't get lost anyhow as the entire route in contained within a small area but two years ago some friends of mine did the HM and others did the 3/4marathon (10k + HM combined) and they complained of confusion doing the small laps which come at the start. It was awful weather that year so I don't know if that was part of it and also as I mentioned in a previous post they have changed the smaller loops a bit over the years so maybe the stewards weren't too sure. In general though I really don't think you can go to far wrong. The bulk of the marathon will be 4 repeats of the prom, that will make up 22+ miles, out & back is 5.5 miles possibly a little more depending on where exactly they put the turn-around point.

You will be able to see the start/finish area from Jurys, just over the bridge, two mins walk. There is a big Londis convenience store about 7-8 mins walk (in the opposite direction as your hotel) from the finish area or if you decide to go back towards your hotel, which may be more practical, then there are other Newsagents and no shortage of Cafes/Restaurants/Bars.

I was worried about the wrong turns too haha, but if there are x2 short laps at the start then follow the people ahead of you & you'll easily have finished them before the HM starts so you'll be into the long laps until finish - no bother :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Bob Ewing

Thanks to everybody on this forum. Very useful information. I just wondered i'm hoping that a family member will be able to pass me some gels as and when in need them. I hope there is no problem with a spectator handing things to a participant. Will make a big difference not having to carry too many gels

Thanks Ariana, does one actually loose weight during a marathon? Noticed I'm 2 or 3 lbs up on the scales and with this week supposed to be 'carb loading', wouldn't like to gain another 2 or 3...

I'd hope not 'Bob' I'm going to be carrying 6 or 7 Gels and that could be problematic...😕😕

This definitely isn't the week to worry about your weight or start restricting food. Eat plenty of good food this week and don't worry about a couple of lbs gain.

Looks like there will be a bit of rain on Saturday morning with a moderate breeze. Standard Galway weather.

Glad to be making the starting line.

Best of luck to everyone taking part.

Likewise Finlma?

Do others here plan to eat substantially more in the days before ie now? 🙂

Have changed my deferral plans and will be doing the Half. Weather looks decent enough at the moment, but no doubt subject to change.

Must pack a t-shirt, might be needed under the singlet!

Careful. If you do that, you won't be able to get rid of it. Extra layers better on the outside, ie over the layer with the race number!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bob Ewing

Looks a reasonable forecast. Bit of rain but wind not too strong. All relative I suppose. Good luck to everybody

• Advertisement

Advertisement