Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

What will there be at the finish line for us to consume? Can't find the email which gives the details.

Suitcase nearly packed and getting the 19:50 from Limerick tomorrow night 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bob Ewing

I think the email said something about some fruit and and a bar.

Thanks Bob, as post race nutrition asap will be important.

Achilles tendon is as often the case a bit sore, but it's too late to pull out now 🙂

Oh I see now there will be an 'Alkohol frei' Erdinger, hopefully good for recovery 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Car is packed and heading down from Meath shortly.

Best of luck tomorrow everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck to everyone doing this event tomorrow, may the running Gods be with us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Looks a bit windy at the mo, hopefully it calms down

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

I assumed this would be postponed so current fitness levels indicate this is gonna be a very tough one, but really looking forward to running with people again.

Enjoy it all folks, have a good one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Glad I opted to stick with the singlet as it got very warm! What a morning. Great atmosphere and support throughout. Lovely course and we'll placed water stations. Got a 47min race PB on Dublin 2019 and just over a min pb from virtual during the year, delighted. Need to find out official chip times - only 2019 is available on the official site, is there another site or do we have to wait?

Enjoy your evening folks and hope you all had a great run!

It was a beautiful day. Not sure how quickly the results get posted. Arrived in Galway last night at about 10 and couldn't believe how wet the course looked. Still that's typical Galway weather. Yes it does rain but when the sun comes out its magnificent. Wind was a non factor which was my main concern. Hope all the posters here had a good day and are now relaxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Perfect conditions, rain cleared off and like Bob said very little wind. Really well organised and plenty of water stations.

Personally delighted with my own time, surprised I didn't hit the wall hard, hope you all enjoyed it folks.

Great to be back!

Suspect we will see some fantastic times across all three distances when the results do come through. Event was well organized and there was a feel good factor after so long away. Even I posted a pb . A very flat course. How often do you see marathon courses advertised as flat when they are anything but. Cork springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Good to read this went so well, onwards and upwards folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

10k runners, anyone get a short distance on your own GPS? Using a Fitbit versa 2 linked to my Sony phone on my arm and I started the watch just before the first tag line. Most of the markers were roughly in the right place by my watch but got 9.8 on the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes, very well organised. Did the half - wind seemed to pick up in final lap which made it more difficult with few runners around at my particular pace at that stage. Enjoyed the downwind finish immensely. Ideal conditions really.

Result is now up on the red tag website

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

Well organised event and the weather was ideal. My only gripe was having to work my way through the 10km runners at the start of the 3rd lap of the marathon.

Well done everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done to everyone who did this. I secured a substantial marathon PB myself but found it to be tough enough course despite being flat, by the 3rd & 4th lap the uneven concrete and amount walkers on the route was quite challenging to my tired & sore legs. Also found the wind that hit me at the turn into the finish area seem to get progressively stronger with each lap. Great day though and we were blessed with the weather (despite the wind I'm well aware it could have been a lot worse), fantastic to be back at a real race after such a break. As usual JM did a great job as MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Yes I thought it was short of 10k about 9.78 by my watch..my plan had been to up the pace from the 9km marker but didn't see the marker and then suddenly we were at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My watch buzzed for 9 just as we were rejoining the marathon loops after the pier diversion.

It was just a fun run for me so I'm not going to get upset over 200m. My attitude is always 5, 10, 9.8 etc. It's still better than zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Very enjoyable run, course is fast, only gripe being the merging with the 10k race, two minutes faster and I would have been ok. Found the wind harder on the outward leg of the loop as the race went on but was able to recover a bit on the way back. Great work from all the volunteers on the course, always ready with the water out, always an encouraging word, and working hard to keep up with the mess being made, much appreciated! Will definitely be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

Agreed. The volunteers did a great job on the clean up. Some runners close to me were throwing bottles and gel wrappers onto the beach from the prom. Would it have been that difficult to drop them near a bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

That's disgraceful carry on really. I didn't see any of that myself, people near me tended to leave the bottles on top of the bins. Fair play to the volunteers but something they shouldn't have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

Yes the same with my watch, strange how they could get it wrong

Hi I'm just wondering if here anyone doing this this year? 🙂

A looped course so will be seeing a lot of the same faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Yep I’m in. Anyone know about parking or bag drop? I’m doing the half so I’d imagine any parking will be gone by the time I arrive. I was going to get the train from Oranmore but there is no official bag drop, does that mean it’s possible to leave a bag somewhere but it won’t be watched? I know parking can be expensive in city centre

Galway Coach station operate a baggage locker syste but limited capacity. None were available last time I was there, so might be best to ring in advance and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭JimmyChew

No Pacers... Ok I can live with that... No bag drop? WTF.

Yes that's poor form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Any tips on parking? Would the city centre car parks be full?

Advertisement