Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Hozier did a bit with Mavis Staples in 2019 as a surprise bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Somebody asked me the other day about big name /main stage acts turning up as surprise acts elsewhere over the weekend.

I said it happens all the time, but I can only really remember a few. Elbow in Other Voices (I wasn't there) was one that sprang to mind.

Apart from Hozier turning up in the Other Voices tent in 2014 just after filling the main stage on Saturday afternoon, I don't think I have been in the right place at the right time.

Who was where when someone turned up by surprise/ at short notice?

Remember being absolutely blotto late at night and stumbling across the Super Furry Animals doing an Acoustic Bingo set on some tiny stage(maybe in the woods?)

Not sure of the year, would have been pre-2010

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Sigrid did one in OVs as well and a few others though I've never bothered. Having to be there thirty mins beforehand means I'm missing another act and it's never been someone I'm desperate to see. Could be some surprise Irish acts this year on a few stages, you've got to assume that every artist is keen to play after 18 months off.

Yeah. It is great if you happen to be there, but these things don't seem to be 'secret' anymore. Rumours and teasers going around social media feed the frenzy and have places packed out in advance.

Seasick Steve did The Salty Dog late one night. But I think that is so well suited, it probably doesn't count.

We stumbled across The Pete Pamf Sextet at The Salty Dog one night with Neil Hannon on keyboards and Cathy Davey on drums. That was quite cool and low key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

Christine & the Queens went on stage with Charli XCX at Electric Arena in 2019 to sing their single just before doing the main stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭rubick

Rumours abounded that Groove Armada were doing a DJ set in Hazel Wood in 2018/19? Didn't meet anyone that actually went though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah. It is great if you happen to be there, but these things don't seem to be 'secret' anymore. Rumours and teasers going around social media feed the frenzy and have places packed out in advance.

Seasick Steve did The Salty Dog late one night. But I think that is so well suited, it probably doesn't count.

We stumbled across The Pete Pamf Sextet at The Salty Dog one night with Neil Hannon on keyboards and Cathy Davey on drums. That was quite cool and low key.

Caught the very end of seasick Steve that time, it was in the program as a rumored appearance so many not quite secret enough! I remember going to other voices one year to see a secret act. It turned out to be a DJ that I hadn't heard of but I do like the idea of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

We wandered into the woods late one night a few years ago and found King Kong Company doing a set which seemed far superior to one we watched earlier in Electric arena.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

patch wrote: »
    We wandered into the woods late one night a few years ago and found King Kong Company doing a set which seemed far superior to one we watched earlier in Electric arena.

Was that on the Salty Dog? Thats a gig Ill always remember

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I have a vivid memory of wandering through Body&Soul Village in 2009, I think Saturday night and the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble starting a pop up gig in a ditch out of no where and being blown away by the spontaneity of it all.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

Was that on the Salty Dog? Thats a gig Ill always remember
    Yep. And it was class indeed.

• Advertisement

Was that the year Galway beat Waterford, as I remember Mark saying at their Electric Arena gig that they were going to catch the second half of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Was at both...both were excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Mucker46

LowOdour wrote: »
    Was at both...both were excellent!

Was at both also and really enjoyed both but the late night salty dog gig was absolutely brilliiant. Band and crowd both up for it great atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

:(

https://laois-nationalist.ie/2021/06/29/if-you-cant-access-public-buildings-how-can-70000-people-converge-on-stradbally-for-the-electric-picnic/

This is the situation now "the motor tax office isn't open so electric picnic shouldn't go ahead"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Indoor hospitality is still banned . How can EP go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,157 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Indoor hospitality is still banned . How can EP go ahead?

It's outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

everlast75 wrote: »
    It's outdoors.

Obviously I know this. But you will still have people in packed areas of EP like at stages . Currently people can’t eat indoors socially distanced

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Tago Mago

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Obviously I know this. But you will still have people in packed areas of EP like at stages . Currently people can’t eat indoors socially distanced

A vast tent in a field, in the midlands of Ireland, in late September is going to have no worries with ventilation!

Also we're talking an extra 3.6M jabs forecast to be administered between now and then, compared to say - next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pushing indoors back is bad news for all levels of reopening. Whenever they delay one stage it inevitably delays anything following it. I'd say yesterday was extremely bad news for EP, showing the levels of caution in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭fafy

Fatfrog wrote: »
    "...THE last day of June is D-Day for a decision on whether Electric Picnic 2021 will go ahead in the last weekend of September..."

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2021/06/22/d-day-looms-for-this-years-electric-picnic/

Any news with this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

fafy wrote: »
    Any news with this ?

Would wonder why they would announce plan move to September if decision was going to be made 2 weeks later and not just wait until official decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

"The deadline for objections and submissions on the controversial application to Laois County Council is 30 June."

Was it not just a cut off point for objections?
    Misleading headline i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭endainoz

"The deadline for objections and submissions on the controversial application to Laois County Council is 30 June."

Was it not just a cut off point for objections?
    Misleading headline i'd say.

Yeah I'd say your right, is there any way to look at the objections?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tallaghtjoe

fafy wrote: »
    Any news with this ?

Laois website has 13th July

Could be P.R.

"listen - i know you're mad but it could have been worse. Therefore, we're actually the good guys"

NPHET modelling did not account for change allowing AstraZeneca and Janssen vaccines being made available to all age groups, TDs told

https://jrnl.ie/5481608

Seems kinda important???

At this stage I'm getting thoroughly fed up with the whole thing. There's hope, yay!!! There's no hope :( There's hope again yay!!! There's no hope again :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭fafy

At this stage I'm getting thoroughly fed up with the whole thing. There's hope, yay!!! There's no hope :( There's hope again yay!!! There's no hope again :(:(

This made me laugh, thanks, i needed that laugh !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That's why my default position all along has been that it's not going ahead. If it does will be a great bonus. If it doesn't won't be disappointed but the constant shifting of goalposts is headwrecking. Would be very stressful trying to organise it

Advertisement